Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Are pipe networks subjected to any sort of pressure? In real life you couldn't just build a comically long tube to suck down air because it would collapse on itself, but I don't know if they model that at all in this game. Don't really wanna try building one to find out either.

Outside of the required depth modules for vehicles, Subnautica seems to ignore all pressure issues with diving. I think gameplay would be a bit more dull if you had to spend time depressurizing after each dive. Though having the potential for an accident like the :nms:Byford Dolphin Diving Bell incident:nms: could really up the tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Feel like this is a good image to summarize this game. I just built an outpost at the entrance to a cave, and after exploring for only a few meters I got lost and couldn't find the one outcrop my base was in. Barely made it back to the surface through a different one. Shoved a camera drone inside my outpost to serve as a marker so that doesn't happen again.

Are pipe networks subjected to any sort of pressure? In real life you couldn't just build a comically long tube to suck down air because it would collapse on itself, but I don't know if they model that at all in this game. Don't really wanna try building one to find out either.

No pipes just make a bubble of air at the end, but you can achieve a similar effect much cheaper by planting brain coral in a growbed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
They would have to drastically increase diving time and the size of the map and depth to make depressurization even remotely interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

torgo posted:

Though having the potential for an accident like the :nms:Byford Dolphin Diving Bell incident:nms: could really up the tension.

quote:

Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of his thoracoabdominal cavity, which further resulted in expulsion of all of the internal organs of his chest and abdomen, except the trachea and a section of small intestine, and of the thoracic spine. These were projected some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.[6]

:stonklol:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've died from cave diving as well. Didn't bother to build that bread crumb machine or the inflatable buoy. You really do panic when you hit that second dead end and realise you don't remember which way you came. Suffocating/drowning is probably my biggest fear. :(

Thanks to people pointing out where to find Prawn fragments. I had been looking forever and built every other vehicle, now I can finally start drilling!

Just a heads up, accessing the upgrades for the Prawn in the moonpool is bugged. But it works outside and I'm the Cyclops.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Pathfinder Tool owns by the way. Aside from saving yourself from panic deaths when you're exploring caves and wrecks, the nodes emit enough light to illuminate the kind of small spaces you'll be crawling through. Since you can also move around and use other tools without losing light, it makes for a better light source than the lightstick or the flashlight, and it's absolutely worth it at a single inventory slot. This sorta leads me to one of my quibbles about the game -- a lot of nifty-but-situational dive tools are 2 x 2, which means I end up leaving them in a locker unless I'm doing something where I know they'll be necessary (using the Grav trap to fish sulphur out of the Lost River before I got a prawn was great, but I don't think I've used it since then). It's sad that they spent effort making these legitimately fun physics toys and then they end up getting sacrificed on the altar of inventory space.

Another thing I've gotta say is that the Cyclops hate is very misplaced. Sure, maneuvering it into tight spaces is a bit of an ordeal and you want to be careful about leviathans, but you've got basically everything you need for a mobile headquarters, you don't actually take damage from scraping off walls, and you have plenty of tools to deal with hostile wildlife. The only thing it really needs to be great is the thermal reactor upgrade to get it energy independent.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

mmmm posted:

I used to feel similar, but then I saw the light.

I went very very deep into the Blood Kelp zone, gathered some oil. I was having a little luck with some mineral deposits so I risked a cave run. Went deeper than I ever had before, figured it was practice for diving into the endless dark to gather end-game resources.

Then I saw the the light and realized that no, it's not gonna be like that at all.

edit: wasn't vague enough

I managed to find a cave or trench of blood oil and warpers next to pod 19 and I was so on edge waiting for them to disappear so I could drive past and tentatively explore the area. Didn't see any different mineral deposits, just flora and quartz and terror.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I made a cyclops and kitted it out fully just for completion's sake but I really, really am not finding it actually much more convenient than just the prawn and the seamoth. The seamoth is far handier and can go everywhere I need to except for the lava area which is very easily traversible with just the prawn.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Man, why did I wait until I'm ready to start gearing up to tackle the lost river to build the alien containment this time? I got a whole batch of reginalds waiting for-"

:sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 9, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Voyager I posted:

The Pathfinder Tool owns by the way. Aside from saving yourself from panic deaths when you're exploring caves and wrecks, the nodes emit enough light to illuminate the kind of small spaces you'll be crawling through. Since you can also move around and use other tools without losing light, it makes for a better light source than the lightstick or the flashlight, and it's absolutely worth it at a single inventory slot. This sorta leads me to one of my quibbles about the game -- a lot of nifty-but-situational dive tools are 2 x 2, which means I end up leaving them in a locker unless I'm doing something where I know they'll be necessary (using the Grav trap to fish sulphur out of the Lost River before I got a prawn was great, but I don't think I've used it since then). It's sad that they spent effort making these legitimately fun physics toys and then they end up getting sacrificed on the altar of inventory space.

Another thing I've gotta say is that the Cyclops hate is very misplaced. Sure, maneuvering it into tight spaces is a bit of an ordeal and you want to be careful about leviathans, but you've got basically everything you need for a mobile headquarters, you don't actually take damage from scraping off walls, and you have plenty of tools to deal with hostile wildlife. The only thing it really needs to be great is the thermal reactor upgrade to get it energy independent.

The pre-them-loving-about Cyclops was the same as it was, except also invulnerable and faster above 200 meters, and could get in solar energy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well I did it, I went to the last degrasi base and man it was a trip. My friend decided to spectate me and also yell things at me to make me go down there. Got to the very edge of the biome with me pinging the sonar every few seconds and saw something extremely huge on the very edge of my screen to the SW I think. Not gonna tangle with that! Found the hole where they build the base. Zipping past the warpers and crabs was scary as gently caress. Doubly so when I realised I'd forgotten where I came in :ohdear: But I saw an opening vaguely hole shaped to the south and gunned it back in one piece.

Really don't want to go back there but apparently I have to!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Only having 5 quickbar slots is also the worst. Why not give me 9-10 like every other game that exists? I don't really feel like using these niche items when I need to gently caress around swapping things in my inventory to use it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vargs posted:

Only having 5 quickbar slots is also the worst. Why not give me 9-10 like every other game that exists? I don't really feel like using these niche items when I need to gently caress around swapping things in my inventory to use it.

Part of the problem is that stuff that should be its own hotkey has to take up a quickbar slot. Like there's no the reason flashlight shouldn't be its own dedicated hotkey like every game ever. Same thing with the scanner or habitat builder.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Skippy McPants posted:

You're not alone. Like, I know where I'm going, and I don't want to wait until daylight to get here, but turning off the lights to avoid leviathans and diving into the endless black is super unsettling.

The most affecting moment so far was my first death. I got lost in the mushroom tree caves and drowned. Mild panic, followed by a growing sense of dread as I realized that even if I found the path out I wouldn't have enough air to reach safety... that was something. If anyone ever offers to take me cave diving in real life, I think I'm gonna pass.

Yeah the panic when running out of air in this game is really effective - before I realised you could just save and reload as required, the stress level when exploring dangerous places was super high.

Particularly that one wreck that has a bunch of junctions in the ventilation ducts and several rooms chained via ducts - the panic when you realise you went back down the wrong duct and you don't have time to get out now was great.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Picked up this game last night.
Set up an initial base near Jellyshroom cave, and learned the danger of caves; drowning a few times before learning to hug a wall and recognize the exit. Got that base in order and collected Seamoth scraps. Still don't have a food/water/batterypower source, hopefully will get that set up at a new base tonight.

Having a lot of fun so far, everything is awesome.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want a permadeath freedom mode. I can diy it, but still.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

endlessmonotony posted:

The pre-them-loving-about Cyclops was the same as it was, except also invulnerable and faster above 200 meters, and could get in solar energy.

I will admit that I did not play the game far enough to make a Cyclops before release, so I don't have the old invulnerable Cyclops to use as a basis for comparison. However, I've seen advice here to the effect of "don't bother building it" and I can definitely say that I preferred having a Cyclops to not having one. It essentially lets you lug your livelihood to whatever part of the game you happen to be focusing on.

I think in my entire playthrough I only ended up moving the Cyclops enough to make a single circuit through the relevant areas (assembled near the lifepod, took it down through the Lost River and into the endgame areas, and then back up to the surface to build the launchpad) and it spent the vast majority of its life parked next to a thermal vent, but it was much more convenient than having to make multiple outposts along that path or constantly backtrack to a main base to stuff my face with more melons. Obviously you aren't going to use the Cyclops to make a daytrip somewhere to snag some materials - that'd be like taking an RV to the corner store, and that's why it comes with a charging station for your commuter of choice (thought it would be nice if you didn't have to pick).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This game has kept me up late and tired at work more often than any game in recent memory. It's just so loving engrossing. The word emersion is trite, but delving into the unknown at the helm of my own ship puts me into a time vortex from which there is no escape. I dipped my toe into the Lost River and somehow five hours passed in the blink of an eye.

I might die of not sleeping before I finish.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

I might die of not sleeping before I finish.

At least there's the view....

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Voyager I posted:

I will admit that I did not play the game far enough to make a Cyclops before release, so I don't have the old invulnerable Cyclops to use as a basis for comparison. However, I've seen advice here to the effect of "don't bother building it" and I can definitely say that I preferred having a Cyclops to not having one. It essentially lets you lug your livelihood to whatever part of the game you happen to be focusing on.
While I do prefer the old invulnerable cyclops if only for honking horns at Sea Satans to get them to bugger off so I can grab all the titanium at the butt of the Aurora, the new cyclops is still pretty good for being a mobile base. Heck, the only reason it needs the thermal reactor that I've found is because of the annoying slugs in the lava area. Got pretty tense when I was down to my last Power Cell and had to run back to my Koosh base with a Ghost Satan in the way.

I still ended up leaving it down in the endgame area though simply because it takes so long to get there and I didn't want to skirt around the Super Sea Satan down there and the two! around the lava castle (not to mention the Ghost Satan mentioned above.) when I needed to snag a few things from home in order to do the stuff I needed to do down there.

Which then ended up biting me in the butt when a cyclops shield module is part of the Neptune's cockpit :shepface:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The way I tackled the endgame area, which worked out really well, was to bring all three vehicles along to the Lost River where I built a base (including a moonpool and a scanner) in the giant tree cove. The sea moth was for trips to the surface, and the cyclops+prawn wasn't too hard to drag to the endgame area and back. After that, I just made the round-trips necessary to build the rocket, which was a bit annoying by the end, but much better than trying to find all the poo poo you need in places other than the Lost River.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

They got the cyclops in a decent place balance wise in that it's effectively invincible as long as it's not being used to deliberately antagonize leviathans.

The problem is that they gave it a speed that would be useful for moving between bases and then decided it should arbitrarily light your engine on fire.

Also, a lategame enemy that amounts to manually scraping barnacles off your boat is definitely good game design.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

torgo posted:

Outside of the required depth modules for vehicles, Subnautica seems to ignore all pressure issues with diving. I think gameplay would be a bit more dull if you had to spend time depressurizing after each dive.

Weirdly, the wiki lists this (maybe unimplemented?) console command:

”wiki” posted:

nitrogen

Toggles longer underwater time and adds the factor of decompression sickness if not careful.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like using the Cyclop's sonar and lights off silent running, its hecka spooky.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Imagine eating a lot of apples but they don’t fill you up and you start coughing up blood.

Subnautica.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Heck, the only reason it needs the thermal reactor that I've found is because of the annoying slugs in the lava area.
The shield module zaps those off the cyclopse when it's activated! :pseudo: Doesn't actually kill them, at least the first time, but it sends them scurrying away so same net effect.

Between that, the thermal charge adapter thing, and judicious use of silent running, the endgame was surprisingly quick and trivial. I definitely think the Cyclops is in a pretty good spot right now... the only things that can really hurt it are things that are supposed to be scary, and otherwise it's a convenient mobile base. All it really needs is a way to hook to a normal base (or even just connect to power transmitters) to let it recharge easily in the midgame without having to juggle the half-dozen power cores.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The cyclops could use a camera drone or something similar that could show the vessel from a bit away, the camera angles aren't always useful when it comes to tight spaces.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Haven't had any issue navigating tight spaces with the three cameras they give you. Tip, top, and tail are enough to check all your clearances. Every time I've gotten hung up on something it's because I got lazy and stopped checking the screw camera when changing depths.

I love the Cyclops. It's big and clunky and rewarding to pilot in a way video game vehicles rarely are outside of sim games. It's also atmospheric as gently caress. Sitting at the bottom with all the lights turned off and looking out at the void feels real good.

I do wish it had more windows I suppose, just for lookin' out and enjoying the view.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 9, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
so, uh, I forgot to disable the Aurora's Engine before blastoff, but spirit lady still was cool with me and accepted her death, does the ending change if I fix it or not?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Away all Goats posted:

Part of the problem is that stuff that should be its own hotkey has to take up a quickbar slot. Like there's no the reason flashlight shouldn't be its own dedicated hotkey like every game ever. Same thing with the scanner or habitat builder.

I have 10 numeric keys, no reason not to give me 10 quickbar slots.

1 Knife
2 Flashlight
3 Scanner
4 Repair tool
5 Habitat builder
6 Seaglide
7 Laser cutter

And that's about it? Except for the guns I never used. But no, I'm basically forced to switch out one or 2 tools each time I go inside or outside my base.

Game is excellent, but there's some really weird (or stupid) choices.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

so, uh, I forgot to disable the Aurora's Engine before blastoff, but spirit lady still was cool with me and accepted her death, does the ending change if I fix it or not?

AFAIK the only thing that changes if you fix the drive core is that the radioactive area around the Aurora disappears after a couple of days, so you can explore without having to wear the radiation suit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

uXs posted:

I have 10 numeric keys, no reason not to give me 10 quickbar slots.

1 Knife
2 Flashlight
3 Scanner
4 Repair tool
5 Habitat builder
6 Seaglide
7 Laser cutter

And that's about it? Except for the guns I never used. But no, I'm basically forced to switch out one or 2 tools each time I go inside or outside my base.

Game is excellent, but there's some really weird (or stupid) choices.

the repulsion cannon is actually ace so you should use it. it's fun to launch warpers ~100m away from you

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Voyager I posted:

I think in my entire playthrough I only ended up moving the Cyclops enough to make a single circuit through the relevant areas (assembled near the lifepod, took it down through the Lost River and into the endgame areas, and then back up to the surface to build the launchpad) and it spent the vast majority of its life parked next to a thermal vent, but it was much more convenient than having to make multiple outposts along that path or constantly backtrack to a main base to stuff my face with more melons. Obviously you aren't going to use the Cyclops to make a daytrip somewhere to snag some materials - that'd be like taking an RV to the corner store, and that's why it comes with a charging station for your commuter of choice (thought it would be nice if you didn't have to pick).

I'll clarify: It was invulnerable... halfway?.. above the crush depth. Same applied to Seamoth I think. So you could leave them perfectly safely sitting somewhere, as long as it was high up enough. Not enough to explore the lower caves, but enough you could park 'em somewhere and not worry about anything.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep avoiding the deeper parts of the ocean. Warpers and Crabsquids just look scary as heck (but then, so did Bonesharks until I could Repulsor them away). I've also been grabbed by a Reaper a couple of times. Am I being overly cautious here? I ask because I'm preparing to head to Pod 2, but also thinking of going to the Degasi base I found in the Grand Reef, I think? It was underground and had Warpers and Crabsquids floating around. I just don't feel safe outside of my Seamoth, and both enemies can deal with that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's ways to avoid all of them, even if you're only in the Seamoth. If you've got the Cyclops you should be more than fine. It's immune to Warpers and Crabsquids/Leviathans won't hassle you much so long as you avoid making too much ruckus.

#1 tip is to only use your lights when absolutely necessary. Everything big and scary down in the deep loves shiny stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly warpers are just annoying dicks, they warp you out then just kind of lazily drift in your general direction and if you move slightly away they shrug and wander off

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly warpers are just annoying dicks, they warp you out then just kind of lazily drift in your general direction and if you move slightly away they shrug and wander off

Well, I mean, if I get warped, I'm just going to blast them into the abyss, or the nearest cave wall. It's just, I don't wanna. :v:

Edit: It finally happened. I got warped. Mr. Warper took a trip far, far away after that. :v:

As for the Crabsquids? They're pretty chill if you stay away from them, I guess. We're cool.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 9, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My one aggro moment in the game was when I was navigating Lost River in my Cyclops and a Ghost Leviathan came out of nowhere (seriously, I think it just came through a wall) and started wreckin my sub.

I ran back and lept into my PRAWN, dropped and grappled and drilled it until it ran away. It tried getting away once after I fell off but I felt it hadn’t had enough so jetpacked up and managed to grab again for more drill baby drill.

Didn’t kill it but gave it a lesson to never gently caress with a man’s ride.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microcline posted:

Also, a lategame enemy that amounts to manually scraping barnacles off your boat is definitely good game design.

Honestly the most fun thing to do with the cyclops is put the shield emitter on it and then drive it around the lava zone periodically turning it on, just to be a dickhead.

It's like going to a swamp with an electric tennis racket and a diesel generator, just for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The cyclops combined the lava section was not fun, and it was the first time the game felt like a chore. But I completed the game and overall it is a great experience. I just hope the developers get around to fixing all the bugs that have been around for years.

Something odd happened to my base towards the end, the upper part of it became completely flooded despite the structure being high, and the lights were notability dimmer. Not sure if it was a bug or I did something wrong.