Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

nachos posted:

Are there any other games like pyre without a fail state? I don’t mean “death is a mechanic” games like souls but one where you winning or losing events is baked into a branching storyline.

Alpha Protocol.

It even goes so far as to give bonuses for making companions mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fat Samurai posted:

Any game where after X hours you can look back and say ‘yeah, I’m powerful now’? Not in bigger numbers (say, Crusader Kings or an RPG), but something like the old The Guild or the Patrician series, where you began with a profession and unlock more stuff you can do as you get titles. The X series gives me a similar feeling.

Ark is like this. Start off being killed by absolutely everything, end up being an invincible murder god

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So I played the hell out of Rebel Galaxy a while back and have been looking for something along that same vein and nothing really seems to scratch that itch. I tried the original SPAZ but the top-down view wasn’t great, and I’ve heard Starpoint Gemini is more of a 4X, while I’m looking to basically be a space trucker/mercy and shoot dudes, any suggestions?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I played the hell out of Rebel Galaxy a while back and have been looking for something along that same vein and nothing really seems to scratch that itch. I tried the original SPAZ but the top-down view wasn’t great, and I’ve heard Starpoint Gemini is more of a 4X, while I’m looking to basically be a space trucker/mercy and shoot dudes, any suggestions?

Escape Velocity Nova is top-down, but it's what Rebel Galaxy got a lot of its DNA from

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

DROX Operative has a similar feeling of progression to Rebel Galaxy. You play an isometric Diablo in space upgrading your ship & crew while all the AI factions play a 4X game around you. I believe there's a free demo on the developer's website if you want to give it a spin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Space Rangers 2 all the way

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
nachos posted:

Are there any other games like pyre without a fail state? I don’t mean “death is a mechanic” games like souls but one where you winning or losing events is baked into a branching storyline.

Vadun posted:

Alpha Protocol.

It even goes so far as to give bonuses for making companions mad

This. Alpha Protocol is great despite its flaws. One of the finest RPGs of all time in my opinion. Game makers should take lessons from it for branching storylines.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I played the hell out of Rebel Galaxy a while back and have been looking for something along that same vein and nothing really seems to scratch that itch.

You might find the combat in EverSpace satisfying, although it's a progressive roguelike and therefore has no real economy. You'll spend the money you earn (in a use-it-or-lose it fashion) to improve your stable of ships between runs.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Starsector is also top-down but it’s really good and exactly what you are describing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Elite: Dangerous might fit the bill, but is a first person semi-sim that requires alot more technical control than Rebel Galaxy.

Starsector is basically Mount and Blade Warband but spaceships, and very very good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Agents of Mayhem worth getting on sale? And if it is, should I get any of the DLC?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Any game where after X hours you can look back and say ‘yeah, I’m powerful now’? Not in bigger numbers (say, Crusader Kings or an RPG), but something like the old The Guild or the Patrician series, where you began with a profession and unlock more stuff you can do as you get titles. The X series gives me a similar feeling.

Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare looks to be like this, but it's early access atm

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Trabandiumium posted:

Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare looks to be like this, but it's early access atm

Freeman is straight up Mount and Blade, but guns. I've always believed Mount and Blade to just be a "Bigger Numbers multiplied by Unit Level" game, with a lengthy grind for each veteran unit and Freeman is just the same. Definitely not a Guild/Patrician style increase in power, and not quite enough depth to have the X feeling of growing an empire.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Agents of Mayhem worth getting on sale? And if it is, should I get any of the DLC?

I think it's a pretty neat game, but you have to understand going in that it is NOT a Saints Row game, at all. It has an open world, but it is not an open world game filled with shenanigans. You're actually getting a weird budget-tier mish-mash of a game that ends up being more like Darkspore (yes, Darkspore) meets Overwatch with an open world model that most closely resembles the first Infamous.

As for DLC, the character packs are all alright. Lazarus has a unique gimmick and needs some unlocks before she really starts to click, but is fun once you get into the right rhythm. Johnny is fun to play with a beefy slug shotgun and a ratatat SMG skill but sometimes struggles a bit. I don't own Safeword, but I've heard she's pretty cool. Plus it's Kinzie.

The rest are all skin packs. Some of them look dope, but a lot of them are "Hey what if this character was <pop culture reference>?" and if you're into that, then hey go nuts, but if not most of them are an easy skip.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 10, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is more of a game mechanic than a genre, but what are some good single-player games that have multiplayer elements integrated into them? I don't want co-op, I mean more like the pawn system in Dragon's Dogma or avenging your Steam friends in Shadow of Mordor. I've discovered I really like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

This is more of a game mechanic than a genre, but what are some good single-player games that have multiplayer elements integrated into them? I don't want co-op, I mean more like the pawn system in Dragon's Dogma or avenging your Steam friends in Shadow of Mordor. I've discovered I really like that.

Heat Signature

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Phlegmish posted:

Heat Signature? Get loot your friends select as a "Heirloom" when you retire characters and occasionally save their dead toons.

Edit: efb

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

AC Origins has a ton else going on (and is super good in general) but it also has Vengeance missions where you find other players’ corpses and then kill the bad dudes who murdered them.
Also heat signature is good as hell

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Watchdogs 2 has seamless multiplayer - another player will suddenly join your game and you'll get a mission about it, like hacking him or killing him etc.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I need a game that I can enjoy while frequently pausing; my job requires me to pay attention to something for 20 seconds every 2 minutes exactly, and that makes it really hard to do much else in that downtime. there are certain games I've found that I can still stay engaged with while pausing as often as I need to, but they're few and far between. I'm open to just about any genre that fits my requirements.

what has worked great:
doom (and other old FPS games) that can easily be paused regularly
visual novels of all stripes
obviously anything explicitly turn-based; i've played through some tactics ogre and shining force games like this
platformers (DKC and the like)

what has not worked:
anything that can technically be paused, but requires me to stay in a 'zone' to perform well. celeste is a recent example of this, along with plenty of action games like monolith or gungeon
anything on a newer console; while i have them available, i need to keep an eye on the clock so as not to lose time and that's not feasible with my setup
anything that's forced full screen -- as mentioned, i need to be able to see the clock most of the time or i lose track.

I know this is really vague and hard to nail down; I'll try to give more details about what works and what doesn't if needed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Rimworld is very playable in a window thanks to its generous on-the-fly camera zoom, can be paused at any time, and auto-pauses itself whenever something that really needs your attention happens.

Heat Signature is also window-friendly and based around brief real-time engagements that can be paused at any instant to plan your next move.

And what the hell is your job?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Drinky bird nuclear reactor technician

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Rimworld is very playable in a window thanks to its generous on-the-fly camera zoom, can be paused at any time, and auto-pauses itself whenever something that really needs your attention happens.

Heat Signature is also window-friendly and based around brief real-time engagements that can be paused at any instant to plan your next move.

And what the hell is your job?

lol it's just work from home poo poo where i'm expected to keep up a very specific rate per hour, neither too fast nor too slow

Rimworld actually looks perfect for this, thanks!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I need a game that I can enjoy while frequently pausing; my job requires me to pay attention to something for 20 seconds every 2 minutes exactly, and that makes it really hard to do much else in that downtime. there are certain games I've found that I can still stay engaged with while pausing as often as I need to, but they're few and far between. I'm open to just about any genre that fits my requirements.

what has worked great:
obviously anything explicitly turn-based; i've played through some tactics ogre and shining force games like this

what has not worked:
anything that can technically be paused, but requires me to stay in a 'zone' to perform well. celeste is a recent example of this, along with plenty of action games like monolith or gungeon
anything on a newer console; while i have them available, i need to keep an eye on the clock so as not to lose time and that's not feasible with my setup
anything that's forced full screen -- as mentioned, i need to be able to see the clock most of the time or i lose track.

I know this is really vague and hard to nail down; I'll try to give more details about what works and what doesn't if needed.

FTL?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Frozen Cortex? Don't be fooled by its American football trappings, it's really just a swank turn-based tactics game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

It's kind of cliche to recommend Dark Souls in this thread by this point, but Dark Souls? It does feature co-op and PvP elements but you can choose to ignore those for the most part, and you still get online integration with messages/bloodstains.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what has worked great:

what has not worked:

I mean, turn-based games are built for this, darkest dungeon, xcom, age of wonders 3, invisible inc and divinity original sin 2 are amazing examples of the genre.

Alternatively, 80 days has good narrative vignettes and it's effectively a giant CYOA novel with good to great writing and imaginative worldbuilding.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

what has worked great:

what has not worked:

How about Final Fantasy X. The remaster with X-2 is on Steam, the battle system is entirely turn-based (no ATB) and you can play windowed mode

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

what has worked great:

what has not worked:

Pokemon games are probably perfect for this. Turn based, minimized screen and you don't need to be in the zone to remember fire>grass etc... There are some middleware devices that let you connect your ds to a monitor/pc.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There's also Roguelikes, which are almost all entirely turn-based (the traditional kind, not the often real-time modern roguelites).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Yes, I would recommend something like DCSS (the webtiles version). It's browser-based and nothing happens in the game until you take an action (such as moving or casting a spell).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

what has worked great:

what has not worked:

Clash of Heroes?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I need a game that I can enjoy while frequently pausing; my job requires me to pay attention to something for 20 seconds every 2 minutes exactly

I know this is really vague and hard to nail down

You get paid to post but not too fast as to rouse suspicion!?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Cities skylines can be paused whenever, in fact when I play it I tend to pause during most construction moments

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Card Hunter is free and pretty fun. Sort of a dungeon crawler board game where your party's gear determines the cards they have in their decks. Decent writing and humor too. Steam version and a browser based one.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What's the latest no-teamwork-required type FPS where I can just mute the voice & text chat, ignore everyone and be an antisocial goon. I've been looking at the more recent Quake games and not sure which one is good or if any of them are.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chunkles posted:

What's the latest no-teamwork-required type FPS where I can just mute the voice & text chat, ignore everyone and be an antisocial goon. I've been looking at the more recent Quake games and not sure which one is good or if any of them are.

Titanfall 2?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chunkles posted:

Doom

the Doom Marine even explicitly ignores everything he's told over the course of the game

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

doesn't stop the game from throwing exposition at him a lot, keeping doors locked until the cutscene has fully played out. God Samuel needs to stfu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

chunkles posted:

You can play pretty much any online with fps without mic/chat. If you want games with IN GAME low teamwork I would suggest Call of Duty. You can pretty much carry any game by yourself because of the perks. Games like Overwatch/Team Fortress 2 you have to play around your team but there are characters that require 0 teamwork. Like if you are playing scout in TF2 or Tracer you really don't need your team or teamwork to destroy the enemy.

Quake live can be fun too. Not sure if people still play it but it runs on pretty much any machine. Very easy to drop in, drop out.