Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah all that stuff is important. The deep strike in particular, the high lethality nature of the game now means that being able to hide units off the board is very useful, and Tyranids have great options for keeping basically all of their damage-dealing units off the table and then bringing them in. I'm surprised not to have seen more of it, although maybe that's just down to what's available to different players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Corrode posted:

Yeah all that stuff is important. The deep strike in particular, the high lethality nature of the game now means that being able to hide units off the board is very useful, and Tyranids have great options for keeping basically all of their damage-dealing units off the table and then bringing them in. I'm surprised not to have seen more of it, although maybe that's just down to what's available to different players.

This has been my main strategy so far and it's worked very well. The guy I play most often is a Deathwatch Primaris player and he told me "I think you're overestimating the value of deepstrike", as he sits with castled marines that I can't charge with a 2+ save.

IMO the more Tyranids you have off the board turn 1 the better. You definitely want your gunline (preferably with a -1 to hit, maybe Jormungandr for +1 save, or out of LoS) and bubble wrap there, but apart from that keep what you can in Deep strike to stop it from getting blown away when you inevitably lose initiative.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Honestly that mobility is what I'm really missing. My Guard have been bugging me for ages and I wasn't sure why, but thinking back to 5th ed the mechvets list was super aggressive and mobile, whereas I'm finding right now that all my games are me castling up somewhere, maybe the assassins and the tiny detachment of Scions move around, and everything else is just static and really vulnerable to aggressive play from the other side. It's the majority of why I'm looking for a change.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There's a non-zero chance that I might be dusting off my Tyrant's Legion list for a game in the next month or so.

I'm looking around and it doesn't look like there's a Tyrant's Legion update for 8th Edition. Is there a way I could try to recreate it in the current rules (basically a mash-up of Guard and Space Marines).

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Entropy238 posted:

The model/fluff is just so cool through. On a 2000 point game I can't not use one.

I actually really like the idea of doing Jormungandr party buses:

– 6 Raveners for Delivery
– 3 x 3 Zoanthropes (For Psychic Barrage: 3d3 Mortal wounds for units within 3" of point you choose, 1CP)
– 2 x 20 Genestealers with extended Carapace (3+ save)
– 6x Venomthropes
– Broodlord

It'd cost 7CP and 1400 points but boy would it be funny.

I tried to do something similar with a rapidly advancing Kraken list a couple of weeks ago, but never really got the opportunity to pull this off. You need at least 3 enemy units clumped together before the Psychic Barrage becomes more effective than simply flinging lots of Smite and Psychic Scream, which is what I ended up doing. It's a cool stratagem but rather situational, which is a shame seeing as you have to build a list so heavily around unlocking it.

Still, if you have the extra models, it's definitely worth putting a 4th Zoan in at least some of those broods. That effectively doubles the MW they put out via smite and lets them cast an extra power, which will be handy if you can't use the stratagem for any reason. Maybe replace some venoms for extra zoans, as 6 is overkill there.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yes, just use Guard and Space Marines together using keyword IMPERIUM. Have a read of the Battleforged Armies rules.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Corrode posted:

Honestly that mobility is what I'm really missing. My Guard have been bugging me for ages and I wasn't sure why, but thinking back to 5th ed the mechvets list was super aggressive and mobile, whereas I'm finding right now that all my games are me castling up somewhere, maybe the assassins and the tiny detachment of Scions move around, and everything else is just static and really vulnerable to aggressive play from the other side. It's the majority of why I'm looking for a change.

What are you bringing? I've been enjoying really aggressive guard play with a lot of infantry pressing up the table but that kinda requires a linebacker unit like ogryns or custodes to back it up, and a strong firebase like russes. If there isn't enough terrain or you rely on artillery too much, the incentive for board control fades a lot too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Any of you guys been here long enough to remember why I did this? Because I don't.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Felime posted:

What are you bringing? I've been enjoying really aggressive guard play with a lot of infantry pressing up the table but that kinda requires a linebacker unit like ogryns or custodes to back it up, and a strong firebase like russes. If there isn't enough terrain or you rely on artillery too much, the incentive for board control fades a lot too.

My 2k list for next weekend is:

CoCom (Grand Strategist)
3x Primaris Psykers
Astropath
Greyfax
Tempestor Prime

Ratlings
Bullgryn
Priest
Harker
Scions Cmd Squad 4x plas
2x Eversors
PlatCom (Kurov's)

3x Infantry las/plas

2x Manticore
3x Basilsks

2x Dakkaprimes

I think the 2k might have a little more to it than the 1500 since I gain the Bullgryn, which gives me something to push out with if needed and to handle enemy deep strikers which I was struggling to do at 1500 since my only options were to hope to shoot them off the board and human wave the infantry into them if necessary.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 9, 2018

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Shitposting from Bugman's at Warhammer World. Their burgers are maybe the vilest I've ever had lol.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ayn Marx posted:

Shitposting from Bugman's at Warhammer World. Their burgers are maybe the vilest I've ever had lol.

Flavor is otiose in a niche.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ayn Marx posted:

poo poo that reminds me, I bet their vegan options are nonexistent

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

Britishtourism.txt

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Who the gently caress goes to Bugman's and orders a burger instead of the Ogre Breakfast? You Hobby Idiot.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Mang the friend I'm with went full retard and ordered the ogre challenge burger
He's still hating himself for it.
We saw Peachy coming out the toilet, highlight of the day

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really desperately want to be at WW right now so I can have that breakfast.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ayn Marx posted:

Should have come earlier to taste this sensation:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

14.95GBP? Please, I can get the Chinese recasts for half that.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Any of you guys been here long enough to remember why I did this? Because I don't.

I have no idea, but I just found out today is National Pizza Day. :shrug:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just curious what units work for a committed alpha strike list with csm/daemons.

Currently making a 30 Bloodletter bomb supported by a herald, Obliterators and plasma Terminators, anything else asides from wrap talons that work well?

Are raptors worth it? Should I commit to a large blob or assualt focused Terminators?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

Honestly that mobility is what I'm really missing.

I still need to have a game with them in 8th, but this is why I'm sticking all of my Russes in a Tallarn spearhead. -1 to hit on the move sucks rear end, and between the doctrine, the ambush stratagem and their tank order I hope to use them as effective cavalry. I've got a Hydra in there to round out the slots and allow a pair of tanks in one unit to ambush and he'll be chasing skimmers and jump troops all day long.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Corrode posted:

My 2k list for next weekend is:

CoCom (Grand Strategist)
3x Primaris Psykers
Astropath
Greyfax
Tempestor Prime

Ratlings
Bullgryn
Priest
Harker
Scions Cmd Squad 4x plas
2x Eversors
PlatCom (Kurov's)

3x Infantry las/plas

2x Manticore
3x Basilsks

2x Dakkaprimes

I think the 2k might have a little more to it than the 1500 since I gain the Bullgryn, which gives me something to push out with if needed and to handle enemy deep strikers which I was struggling to do at 1500 since my only options were to hope to shoot them off the board and human wave the infantry into them if necessary.

Now, the way I play probably isn't the best way to play guard, but it is fun imo. Last 1500 tourney I brought:

2x Cocom
Tank commander, plasma

2x astropaths
Ratlings

6x infantry squads, specials/heavies to taste

Mortar squad
2x russes, hb, lascannon, hb sponsons

3x scout sentinels

Primaris psyker
Custodes squad

It plays very aggressively and up in your face. 6 inf squads tend to die by the end of the game but that is their job, and with ratlings and sentinels they do great at being all up in people's business taking objectives. It's important not to underestimate the board control against non dedicated cc armies a ton of info squads can have.

This was a semi casual tourney though. And I dislike artillery in general. Overall it did well and was fun to play from both sides from what I was told. I did get pretty stomped by Raven guard though.

Felime fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2018

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Ayn Marx posted:

Mang the friend I'm with went full retard and ordered the ogre challenge burger
He's still hating himself for it.
We saw Peachy coming out the toilet, highlight of the day

Zark the Damned went for it when we were visiting for Goonpocalypse. I recall him finding it pretty loving bland. A lot of meat with no flavouring.

I rarely get to eat junk food so I am easily pleased at WHW. That breakfast looks like the way to go though. I am not sure if it contains enough cholesterol though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I must be getting old because I just don't think I could stomach stuff like that anymore.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've decided to finally give up on AoS as I never really have a good time when I play it. As such, I just traded off a large lot of Khorne Bloodbound and got some Harlequins & T'au stuff.

I have Harlequins down pretty well, but I could use some advice for T'au stuff.

This is what I have:

3 devilfish
a hammerhead
4 broadsides
roughly 40-50 drones
some fire warriors

Where should I go from here? I know I want to fill out all 3 of those Devilfish with Fire Warriors/Pathfinders, and I should probably buffer that army with some Crisis Suits, so i'll be getting a Start Collecting box.

A commander or two as well, but any other tips?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Going to play my second game on my new table, and first game with all the sweet terrain I got. Looking to practice 1250 for the monthly tournament, and it kind of dawns on me that HQ and Troops truly feel like a tax on Marines in this current edition, especially since I haven't done any Intercessors, which really highlights the need to focus on them once Adepticon is over.

In terms of HQ some are just straight garbage, especially for Ultramarines. Chaplains, while fun, just have no purpose for the boys in blue. Libbies are just "meh" primarily because the Marine powers are sad. This really just leaves the trusty Captain, and it seems the Bike Captain is the only who can really carry his points. I should probably throw the Gravis Captain to the top of my list at this point.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

JackMack posted:

Zark the Damned went for it when we were visiting for Goonpocalypse. I recall him finding it pretty loving bland. A lot of meat with no flavouring.

I rarely get to eat junk food so I am easily pleased at WHW. That breakfast looks like the way to go though. I am not sure if it contains enough cholesterol though.

Yup, the challenge with the big burger is it's really bland. Got about 7/8 through it before it got too much. Not trying that again.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What do you get for finishing it?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

it's really bland
britishfood.txt

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

mango sentinel posted:

What do you get for finishing it?

Regret

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Going to play my second game on my new table, and first game with all the sweet terrain I got. Looking to practice 1250 for the monthly tournament, and it kind of dawns on me that HQ and Troops truly feel like a tax on Marines in this current edition, especially since I haven't done any Intercessors, which really highlights the need to focus on them once Adepticon is over.

In terms of HQ some are just straight garbage, especially for Ultramarines. Chaplains, while fun, just have no purpose for the boys in blue. Libbies are just "meh" primarily because the Marine powers are sad. This really just leaves the trusty Captain, and it seems the Bike Captain is the only who can really carry his points. I should probably throw the Gravis Captain to the top of my list at this point.

I keep using a chaplain even though theres no real good reason for me to, I don't have enough of a melee contingent for him to buff since my aggressors are always under my chapter master anyway. Although he can make the Redemptor kind of funny whenever it actually reaches melee once every ten thousand years.

I'm kinda leaning back towards a gravis captain at this point, if only because im so loving tired of my captain dying to two hits from a single assault terminator literally every time hes died, trade out adept of the codex for +1w 6+++ and run gravis for t5 and see how people kill that.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've decided to finally give up on AoS as I never really have a good time when I play it. As such, I just traded off a large lot of Khorne Bloodbound and got some Harlequins & T'au stuff.

I have Harlequins down pretty well, but I could use some advice for T'au stuff.

This is what I have:

3 devilfish
a hammerhead
4 broadsides
roughly 40-50 drones
some fire warriors

Where should I go from here? I know I want to fill out all 3 of those Devilfish with Fire Warriors/Pathfinders, and I should probably buffer that army with some Crisis Suits, so i'll be getting a Start Collecting box.

A commander or two as well, but any other tips?

Just wait for the codex, it should be out within the next month or so, and that should change things a lot. Otherwise buy and paint what you think looks cool.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Marines in general are just depressing right now. Without a serious rethink they're eclipsed by BA/DA and the problem will only get worse with Wolves.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It shouldn't be that hard to give UM's their own flavor, especially with the roman inspiration. Maybe give them shields that can get in the way of enemy LoS when used (in place of a shooting phase), with models getting an extra buff when multiple nearby models in the unit choose to do so.

The idea being that you could have a mobile phalanx with one dude behind the shielders (the spear) able to shoot with a mobile cover/melee from safety with a long weapon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Personally I'm struggling to see the point of a Gravis Captain over a Primaris Captain. Is 30 points really worth it over the Power Fist guy for +1 toughness and a masterwork power sword?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

It shouldn't be that hard to give UM's their own flavor, especially with the roman inspiration. Maybe give them shields that can get in the way of enemy LoS when used (in place of a shooting phase), with models getting an extra buff when multiple nearby models in the unit choose to do so.

The idea being that you could have a mobile phalanx with one dude behind the shielders (the spear) able to shoot with a mobile cover/melee from safety with a long weapon.
Adding another flavour would just compound the problem of vanilla marines being bad though.

Ultramarines are just whatever the generic marine list is because them and their successors make up something like 60% of all marines. They aren't the best at everything marine like 5th painted them, they're the ur-marines.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I'm struggling to see the point of a Gravis Captain over a Primaris Captain. Is 30 points really worth it over the Power Fist guy for +1 toughness and a masterwork power sword?
Honestly, kinda is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Marines in general are just depressing right now. Without a serious rethink they're eclipsed by BA/DA and the problem will only get worse with Wolves.

It's a universal problem; the first army to get a book inevitably gets shafted. And since Space Marines are so popular it usually happens to them. I didn't pay attention to 6th or 7th edition but I can't remember them being particularly effective in any of the editions before that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a universal problem; the first army to get a book inevitably gets shafted. And since Space Marines are so popular it usually happens to them. I didn't pay attention to 6th or 7th edition but I can't remember them being particularly effective in any of the editions before that.

Mech Marines with Vulkan was good for like half of 5th, but they rapidly lost ground after Guard and Wolves dropped since Guard did mech better and Wolves did Marines. BA was the final nail in the coffin for them since they were literally Marines +1.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, Gravis Captains are actually pretty scary. Particularly for Blood Angels but that goes without saying. You're forgetting the +1 attack and +1 wound by the way.

Mine tends to hang out near my Predators and the like to provide rerolls. His extra durability lets him happily wade into combat against all sort of stuff that tries to threaten my backfield with fairly minimal support and come out swinging on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Yeah, Gravis Captains are actually pretty scary. Particularly for Blood Angels but that goes without saying. You're forgetting the +1 attack and +1 wound by the way.

Mine tends to hang out near my Predators and the like to provide rerolls. His extra durability lets him happily wade into combat against all sort of stuff that tries to threaten my backfield with fairly minimal support and come out swinging on the other side.

I'm comparing them to a Primaris Captain, not a regular one. The Primaris Captain has the same number of attacks, same number of wounds, and can also field a power first for 28 points less.