Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I recently had a discussion where my boss said they don't really want me to ever work from home unless necessary. Guess I am going to have necessary reasons start coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Coredump posted:

My place of employment is going the opposite way. They want you here at exactly 8:00 am. You can stay late though, that's ok. Oh and NO working from home allowed. Unless something breaks... then you can work from home. And over the weekend....

Vargatron posted:

"Oh you got a support call at 3:00AM, too bad we need you here on time. Or else you're going to get written up for tardiness"
Hand to god, 2 directors ago, that was the expectation at my job. It was ridiculous enough for the support calls you mentioned, but also because half of us are WFH. I can't very well ask Jimmy to be in the office at 8am simply because he works out of the main office, while I can do whatever I want since I work from home. It lasted for a pretty miserable 6 months until that director went away.

That director was obsessed with "the perception". And if someone was up all night doing maintenance or troubleshooting, he still wanted us there at 8am, because "the perception" is that another team will come by for help and we won't be there.

Apparently, in this guy's universe, matter of factly stating "they were up until 3am, send an email" is somehow not a viable solution.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Work requires me to have a phone to the point they pay my phone bill. Otherwise I would take work email off and not respond to calls or texts after 5:00 pm.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I recently had a discussion where my boss said they don't really want me to ever work from home unless necessary. Guess I am going to have necessary reasons start coming up

I don't get employers like this. It's been shown that people with flexible work times/environments get more work done, are happier, and stick around longer. Sure there are lots of jobs where you need to physically be in a certain location at certain times, but if not I don't get the reason to not offer the flexibility when possible. Yes, some folks abuse it and don't get poo poo done, but that is a management issue.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Unless you're doing assembly work on a loving line, you can do most IT jobs from home. This isn't the 1950s anymore.

Aren't there studies out there that show people maybe work 3 productive hours in an 8 hours day?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Unless you're doing assembly work on a loving line, you can do most IT jobs from home. This isn't the 1950s anymore.

Aren't there studies out there that show people maybe work 3 productive hours in an 8 hours day?

Now that olympic curling is on, I'm at like 0.5 productive hours

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

I think it's more like 5-6 hours in an 8 hours day, but i could be wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, yes, but we're accounting for IT here.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Now that olympic curling is on, I'm at like 0.5 productive hours

Hey man, I can dig it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I had this discussion with my boss yesterday too. 6-12 inches of snow projected across the work day, but apparently the perception of our "internal clients" (developers) is that we need to be here in person. Despite the fact that we're sysadmins who manage virtual servers, and correspond with everyone via skype and email.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vargatron posted:

"Oh you got a support call at 3:00AM, too bad we need you here on time. Or else you're going to get written up for tardiness"

Earlier in my career I was dumb enough to tolerate this.

Do not.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't work from home often, but when I do it's because I know for sure that I will be less productive in the office than I will be at home.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s been like 10 years since I had a job that had rigid rules about when and how long you needed to be there, and that required more than about 6 hours on any given day, and I’ll be damned if I’m ever going back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's definitely one of the flaws of a smaller environment. I can't work from home often because I also help cover walk-ins and "we need help in this conference room" type stuff. If I'm up until 3am working on something, I should probably be in unless there's no chance of there being issues stemming from that work, because I am likely the only one who can handle whatever comes up. But, that being said, I can't remember the last time I was up until 3am working on something. At least 3-4 years.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm also of the mind that if one person is missing from work, then the whole operation shouldn't shut down. You either need to look at your internal processes or cross training.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm currently in the middle of establishing that the nature of my job means I can do it from almost anywhere and that I live close enough to any of the offices that it doesn't matter if i'm in or not. It's a delicate process.

So far i'm trying to settle for "i'm more than happy to sit in the corner of the office that's a five minute drive from me, rather than the office that's a 20 minute drive in good weather", especially because that office is bigger and requires more hands on support anyway. Maybe soon i'll convince my boss that VPN's are not the devil and that just because someone is working from home, it doesn't mean they're not actually working.

Of course as I say this we have a woman who's working from home doing nothing, so its not helping my case. Her job while she's working from home is to upload images to our website and the folder she's uploading to has remained untouched for five days.

E: Also if i'm up at 3am and my boss wants me in at 9, the official response I am giving is "no", even if that means they'll want me to find a new job. I do not mind being up at 3am sorting a serious issue, I do mind them not being flexible when i've done them a favour and worked outside of my usual hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm also of the mind that if one person is missing from work, then the whole operation shouldn't shut down. You either need to look at your internal processes or cross training.

Correct, my current department massively fails at the "hit by a bus" principle and if one person goes missing we're absolutely hosed. Management doesn't care, therefore I don't either!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vargatron posted:

I would guess that if you could get 70% productivity, you'd put everyone else out of business.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I work at a lovely MSP and am also bound by such rigid rules. It's ok though because the boss man can work from home as he sees fit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I think it's more like 5-6 hours in an 8 hours day, but i could be wrong.

There is no way I have 5-6 productive hours in a day

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Also RE: productive hours; depending on how on fire everything is, I can get 6 productive hours in a day. By no means is that anywhere near the average though *turns curling back on*

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The number of hours you spend at peak productivity is not the same as the number of productive hours you have. People often conflate the two ideas.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Correct, my current department massively fails at the "hit by a bus" principle and if one person goes missing we're absolutely hosed. Management doesn't care, therefore I don't either!

Yep.
We've got lots of those, in many departments. This entire site is one bad highway wreck away from being shut down.

But that's okay. Just work harder, you don't need help :P

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Siochain posted:

Yep.
We've got lots of those, in many departments. This entire site is one bad highway wreck away from being shut down.

But that's okay. Just work harder, you don't need help :P

We've got multiple people who can get into our password vault if they needed to, and that's about it.

If our plane crashed they'd need to spend a shitload of money on some really good contractors for a while.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The company I interviewed with and who mentioned $salary in their recruitment ad is now saying that $salary is difficult and wants to know if we can “work something out” because they would be thrilled to get me in board.

I said I’d also be thrilled to be on board and I look forward to hear about them working out how they will pay me $salary.

Few days later the recruiter called back telling me that they really want me to join their team but $salary is a bit steep. I reminded him that they advertised with that amount, he himself told me the same and in our first interview it wasn’t a problem. Cue a lot of recruitment BS trying to get me to take a job for less money than I’m earning now.

quote:

- Cool and innovative jobs usually pay less
- The sector you work in is notorious for paying way too much
- They will invest in you by training/certifications so maybe you should take a paycut.
- The kind of job you are looking for is not easy to find

I told him that I’m asking for market average and lots of companies advertise with these numbers.

It’s nowhere near crazy levels of pay for my skills/experience and I know plenty of people who make quite a bit more than I do in all different types of industry.

Just by searching for 5 minutes I found multiple roles with said salary. All expenses like training are fully tax deductible for employers so it literally costs them jack poo poo.

I’ve got a call scheduled for next week to hear what they think but I’m fully expecting them to not make an offer after all or lowball me.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have been woken up at midnight to fix some serious issue. I have 0 problems with that. It comes with the job.
So far, I've been allowed to take the next day off.
Honestly, my biggest fear is not being able to wake up when i'm being called.

The office is a 20 minute drive with the bicycle. So I don't mind coming in to the office. I like the commute when it's good weather.
Here we have a policy of "wfh if needed."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ve got a call scheduled for next week to hear what they think but I’m fully expecting them to not make an offer after all or lowball me.

gently caress those people and gently caress that recruiter. Those points you quoted are nonsense. Reminds me of poo poo I'd hear while working at an MSP. "Companies pay internal people way more than they are actually worth." No, if they've agreed to pay them an amount then they are by definition worth that amount. MSPs are just notorious for underpaying.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

The company I interviewed with and who mentioned $salary in their recruitment ad is now saying that $salary is difficult and wants to know if we can “work something out” because they would be thrilled to get me in board.

Same thing happened to me. the 1st AD the recruiter sent was $salary. And after the 1st couple of interviews went well. The recruiter let me know that the salary changed. And it was 5K less.
I insisted that I wanted the 1st shown salary and the recruiter managed to get that after a few back and forths. All I can say is, Stand your ground.
During the last interview with the company, I also managed to get them to take over my 10K study debt from the previous company.

Don't stop fighting for it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LochNessMonster posted:

I said I’d also be thrilled to be on board and I look forward to hear about them working out how they will pay me $salary.

Few days later the recruiter called back telling me that they really want me to join their team but $salary is a bit steep. I reminded him that they advertised with that amount, he himself told me the same and in our first interview it wasn’t a problem. Cue a lot of recruitment BS trying to get me to take a job for less money than I’m earning now.

I told him that I’m asking for market average and lots of companies advertise with these numbers.

It’s nowhere near crazy levels of pay for my skills/experience and I know plenty of people who make quite a bit more than I do in all different types of industry.

Just by searching for 5 minutes I found multiple roles with said salary. All expenses like training are fully tax deductible for employers so it literally costs them jack poo poo.

Those "certs" they are investing in you are required to maintain their partnerships with vendors and is not geared for your best interest. Don't bulge.

I assume you are younger. Companies are going to attempt to shark you because you don't know any better. Good things are going to happen when this becomes a habit.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"There is a shortage of qualified people who are willing to work for peanuts" :cry:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pre-registered for Ignite.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

cheque_some posted:

I have some experience with AWS, but I've just started looking at Azure, and took a training class. My initial impression is that Azure has a lot of really cool PaaS stuff that AWS doesn't have, but their IaaS is just kind of "eh".

What do you all think?

My co-workers are very against Azure because "Microsoft".

Disclaimer: I have a huge bias here because I work for AWS, but Microsoft shops are wildly successful on AWS. I will concede that MSSQL RDS isn’t as performant as it could be, but once you get past “we are a Microsoft shop so we should be on Azure”, AWS has plenty to offer.

We can and do run massive MS workloads that can also take advantage of non-traditional MS services like Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.

But you should probably stay with O365 for email if you like your Outlook.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Disclaimer: I have a huge bias here because I work for AWS, but Microsoft shops are wildly successful on AWS. I will concede that MSSQL RDS isn’t as performant as it could be, but once you get past “we are a Microsoft shop so we should be on Azure”, AWS has plenty to offer.

We can and do run massive MS workloads that can also take advantage of non-traditional MS services like Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.

Azure has Functions and CosmosDB
e: AWS lambda did get .NET Core support fairly recently, so that's cool.

Agrikk posted:

But you should probably stay with O365 for email if you like your Outlook.

Azure excels at providing value added SaaS services to O365 users, and then once you're there, why not also use this IaaS and PaaS services.

I have a little bias because my professional experience is all with Azure, and outside of some labbing, haven't done a lot with AWS.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LochNessMonster posted:

Don't back down. If it helps, imagine that this is a test. They want to know how you'll react if you're working with a vendor who promises one thing and then starts coming up with excuses.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just lol if you don't have to support numerous sites that either built their internal network out of a huge public range or selected their networks via a drunken monkey armed with darts and an appropriately labeled dart board.

Just lol if you don't build your LAN segments from 11.0.0.0/8

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CrazyLittle posted:

Just lol if you don't build your LAN segments from 11.0.0.0/8

Found the Lockheed Martin employee.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LochNessMonster posted:

"the sector you work in is notorious for paying way too much"

If the whole sector is paying that then it's not paying way too much, it's paying the market rate. gently caress that poo poo and gently caress that recruiter for trying to get you less money

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kashuno posted:

"the sector you work in is notorious for paying way too much"

lol
:sever:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah it sounds like somebody else is trying to get their business off you rather than get you a salary you deserve. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"recruiters are known for being full of poo poo"