Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
We have the halo because ferrari fans deify their drivers. Poor schumi might never get his halo, and the tifosi are ensuring that no other ferrari driver will ever miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferrari and their fans are the greatest thing about formula one. I dont know what the gently caress you people are talking about.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We have the halo because of Surtees and Wheldon and Bianchi and Wilson.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

We have the halo because the FIA hosed it up and put a loving crane in the middle of a street.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Halo would've still left Massa brain-dead, but a canopy would've saved him.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The spring would have bounced off because of recent improvements in helmet design.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A British driver would've simply caught the spring and politely returned it to Barrichello.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
All British drivers are frauds and cheats, we should ban all British involvement in Formula 1

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Brits are definitely too good for this terrible sport that Italians and Germans are ruining with terrible ideas like the halo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Who invaded Spain in the 8th Century?

The Moops

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What's a bigger sham? The pretext that the winter Olympics are serving as powerful uniting symbol for the Koreas or the 24 Hours of Lemans grid?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

An LMP1 car is going to win Le Mans this year and insufferable dolts are going to go "Heh, :smug: guess hybrid power isn't so great after all guys. Good thing climate change isn't real. Jeremy Clarkson did nothing wrong"

North Korea MWD are going to look very tame against that level of weaponised idiocy

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I have a little theory that maybe if electric and hybrid cars didn't exist solely as a subsidized luxury car for the rich then the "lower classes" would be slightly less hostile towards them. That's just my personal take though.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

I'm going to go ahead as guess that Indy's requirements for that screen are a hell of a lot more lax than the FIA's. They tested a screen but it couldn't cope with a tyre hitting it at 150kph. The halo is a stopgap that works now so they've put it on. If the aeroscreen had passed the same tests I'm sure it'd be preferred. Indy choosing looks over actual safety is nothing to be proud of.

This guy thinks you're a huge pussy (and Vettel too):

Being realistic, yes, the drivers need better protection. But I hope someone will be able to log the amount of complaints that come from having a big loving tube thing right in the middle of a driver's field of vision. The halo is dumb as hell, and needs to be replaced ASAP.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

What's a bigger sham? The pretext that the winter Olympics are serving as powerful uniting symbol for the Koreas or the 24 Hours of Lemans grid?

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Liberty and the FIA

NtotheTC posted:

that level of weaponised idiocy

Dont sign your posts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I have a little theory that maybe if electric and hybrid cars didn't exist solely as a subsidized luxury car for the rich then the "lower classes" would be slightly less hostile towards them. That's just my personal take though.

There are electric cars other than Tesla.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

track day bro! posted:

All British drivers are frauds and cheats, we should ban all British involvement in Formula 1

Bold move but sometimes drastic steps must be taken.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There are electric cars other than Tesla.

The leaf is the only one that normal people can afford and that is smaller than what the market really wants right now.

Also I guess the Chevy one but theyre all basically subcompacts.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 9, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

The leaf is the only one that normal people can afford and that is smaller than what the market really wants right now.

Renault Zoes are selling extremely well in Europe, which is fine with tiny rear end cars. The Nissan Leaf will probably sell really well there too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Renault Zoes are selling extremely well in Europe, which is fine with tiny rear end cars. The Nissan Leaf will probably sell really well there too.

And they are far less hostile to electric cars there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

And they are far less hostile to electric cars there.

They are, but you're still not going to get a free car out of the bin, 1500quid.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ilmucche posted:

They are, but you're still not going to get a free car out of the bin, 1500quid.

I am perfectly happy with my Corolla which maintains batteries for an astonishing 8 years before failure.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Toyotas are good, except in F1.

Apparently WEC is moving one of their race days to accommodate Fernando Alonso, and has moved it to clash with the petit le mans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is how thick the windscreen is for Indy:
https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/961716816358776832

Also, from a visor cam perspective:
https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/961964933905760256

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is it just me or is it impossible to tell anything from this photo? I can't even tell what is and isn't the deflector.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Agreeing with wicka. All I can tell from that picture is that Dan Gurney is back, but in pog form.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Dan gurney pog is the deflector dumbasses.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Its the opaque line about 1 cm thick under the middle of the sticker.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

mrfart posted:

But does it make vettel nauseous?

That wasn't a windscreen, it was a mirror.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Agreeing with wicka. All I can tell from that picture is that Dan Gurney is back, but in pog form.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Its the opaque line about 1 cm thick under the middle of the sticker.

Ohhhhhhh I see it, thanks. The carbon fiber bits below that looked to be the same height as the deflector and it was throwing me for a loop.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont understand that picture

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorGonzo posted:

There isn't a Ferrari in it so it's epic fail.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fallimento epico

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DoctorGonzo posted:

I see is now, that little white flap thing left middle is crossing over it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ATENTION!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be_BcTfguDk/?hl=es-la&taken-by=scuderiaferrari

Scuderia Ferrari new formula 1 engine first start up

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

ATENTION!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be_BcTfguDk/?hl=es-la&taken-by=scuderiaferrari

Scuderia Ferrari new formula 1 engine first start up

Sounds worse than the Honda last year.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Sounds worse than the Honda last year.

turn your mic off

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DoctorGonzo posted:

turn your mic off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wow, that Indycar visor looks pretty nice. Seems inevitable F1 will probably adapt a similar system.

• Locked thread