Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Wiz is tweeting about his current playthrough, showing off a buffed Enigmatic Engineering:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961725622564290560

+2 to sensor range rather than +1. Would much rather it reduced opponents' ability to see you rather than the other way round - would be more in keeping and a genuinely game-changing perk.

Still, I'm a sucker for stuff like this. I'm halfway between taking it late in the game for role-play reasons, or taking it first when playing a really strange and alien race to simulate how alien they are to everyone else around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

Still, I'm a sucker for stuff like this. I'm halfway between taking it late in the game for role-play reasons, or taking it first when playing a really strange and alien race to simulate how alien they are to everyone else around

:same: Fluffy picks to fit the character of your race is stuff I do a lot. I've got a race of birds in space suits who are terrible at planet living but really good engineers. Going habitats and mega structures is their whole shtick.

Think I'll change them to gaia world start in 2.0. :haw:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Enigmatic would be cooler if it meshed really well with the new fluff for spiritual and increased your chances to getting weird psionics tech.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Torrannor posted:

I know it's a few months old, but where is this from? One of the Stellaris dev streams?

It's amazing :3:

Thank you, and yeah just an extremely lucky game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

:same: Fluffy picks to fit the character of your race is stuff I do a lot. I've got a race of birds in space suits who are terrible at planet living but really good engineers. Going habitats and mega structures is their whole shtick.

Think I'll change them to gaia world start in 2.0. :haw:
You made Morrigi? :v:

Demiurge4 posted:

Enigmatic would be cooler if it meshed really well with the new fluff for spiritual and increased your chances to getting weird psionics tech.
Yeah it'd be neat if it came with an increased roll chance and research speed boost for rare tech, with the implication that for you it's just tech.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 9, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It annoys me that the perks of being cute with the diplomacy buff and being nice to live with are combined. I want to make my race of space parrots adorable and a joy to behold, until they move in and poo poo everywhere and won't stop squawking oh god shut up

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

Well, if you're playing a tall empire hyperfocused on tech, I could kinda see a point to not allowing a larger but lower-teched empire to catch up via salvage, which should pop as long as you lose ships, win or lose, right?

Do you want to waste a slot on it though? Also, lower tech empires only get to play the salvage game if they get a science ship in there, and seems like you can actively try to make sure that conflict systems wind up behind your borders after the peace.

I mean could be worse, but it just doesn't seem worth spending a very limited Ascension slot on to mildly inconvenience an enemy. Maybe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fintilgin posted:

Do you want to waste a slot on it though? Also, lower tech empires only get to play the salvage game if they get a science ship in there, and seems like you can actively try to make sure that conflict systems wind up behind your borders after the peace.

I mean could be worse, but it just doesn't seem worth spending a very limited Ascension slot on to mildly inconvenience an enemy. Maybe.

Don't you still get open borders after a peace treaty?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

THE BAR posted:

Don't you still get open borders after a peace treaty?

Do you? Been a bit since I've played.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Fintilgin posted:

Also, you could just take Galactic Wonders and build a Sentry Array instead. That instantly renders all bonuses to sensor range obsolete.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

enigmatic engineering doesnt also cost a hojillion minerals, too

e: plus i am not sure how early you can take it, but it lets you preserve an early-mid game tech advantage... by the time you can build sentry array, everyones presumably teched up quite a bit anyway.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 9, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

binge crotching posted:

Having a local fleet cap attached to a station would be pretty cool. Especially with the ability to auto-refill depleted fleets it would let you have small local garrisons that might not be very strong, but would at least be enough to fight off pirates and so on.

SDBs would also be great for sectors to build for themselves. They don't get to build fleets because that steps on the toes of the player managing the wars, but they could build defense-only ships with their excess minerals.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

You made Morrigi? :v:

Amusingly enough, yes and totally not deliberate! When I pointed it out to DatonKallandor (even going as far as to mention my current game of them has the refugee civic too) he made me aware of it. :haw:

Watching the stream and a fallen empire dedicated to ancient gateways would be rad. I'm imagining a more sane machine empire that's set to "look after this network of gateways and let any peaceful races use them (unless they're on our vip list which they can use them during wars too) and also galactic communications."

A much more benign fallen empire that will flip the absolute gently caress out if you meddle with their network or try to build your own.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

A much more benign fallen empire that will flip the absolute gently caress out if you meddle with their network or try to build your own.
That would be very neat. You start to build one, they say "cut it out". You finish, they go to war and cassus belli the gate system as "unauthorised network hardware".

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Splicer posted:

That would be very neat. You start to build one, they say "cut it out". You finish, they go to war and cassus belli the gate system as "unauthorised network hardware".

It'd be interesting, but I feel like it would be too much of a kick in the 'nads to say "Hey, here's this fancy new tech that revolutionizes the way you fight wars and manage your empire, also a Fallen Empire will declare war on you when you build it, have fun."

What I think would make it more interesting is if the Fallen Empire gets triggered when there are too many "unauthorized gate networks" in the game total - but they only declare war on whoever made the most gate networks to shut them down, or possibly the top three gate networks, or whoever built the last one, or what have you. Creates a hot potato situation where you want to have gates for the advantages they possess, but you don't want to have too many in case you call down the wrath of the Fallen, and even if you and everyone else keeps fairly limited networks you don't know if some unscrupulous bastard is going to quietly build an extra gate somewhere in a corner of the galaxy and tip the scales.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Honestly I think this idea would be great for a Pacifist AE. AE has built a large series of gates, but shuts out anyone who is too warlike.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thyrork posted:

Amusingly enough, yes and totally not deliberate! When I pointed it out to DatonKallandor (even going as far as to mention my current game of them has the refugee civic too) he made me aware of it. :haw:

Watching the stream and a fallen empire dedicated to ancient gateways would be rad. I'm imagining a more sane machine empire that's set to "look after this network of gateways and let any peaceful races use them (unless they're on our vip list which they can use them during wars too) and also galactic communications."

Alternatively, it would be fun to see a crises/AE style opponent locked in a system with one activated gateway and no other exits, with a FE trying to stop anyone else from activating a second gateway and letting them back into the galaxy.

Tomn posted:

It'd be interesting, but I feel like it would be too much of a kick in the 'nads to say "Hey, here's this fancy new tech that revolutionizes the way you fight wars and manage your empire, also a Fallen Empire will declare war on you when you build it, have fun."

Their awakened state could possibly be pretty weak, or they focus exclusively on your jump gate and once they've blown it up just peace out and leave.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

turn off the TV posted:

Their awakened state could possibly be pretty weak, or they focus exclusively on your jump gate and once they've blown it up just peace out and leave.

It's less about the Fallen Empire kicking your poo poo in (though that sure sucks) and more about "Here is a new toy you just unlocked. You don't get to play with it." I feel like from a design perspective that's fundamentally a mistake.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tomn posted:

It's less about the Fallen Empire kicking your poo poo in (though that sure sucks) and more about "Here is a new toy you just unlocked. You don't get to play with it." I feel like from a design perspective that's fundamentally a mistake.

Maybe make it a stacking opinion penalty, so one set of gates is fine, but any more and they start to get really upset with you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tomn posted:

Jump gates are supposed to be late game technology, by the time you're activating them a FE may not be that scary.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There should definitely be a Crisis associated with the Jump Gates though; something like the Babylon 5 TV movie? You've spent all game grabbing and building these things, and now something else is coming through them...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is great:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

That's what I was going for, they declare war with their only intention being to take the system you built your gate in. Not even blow it up.

Tomn posted:

What I think would make it more interesting is if the Fallen Empire gets triggered when there are too many "unauthorized gate networks" in the game total - but they only declare war on whoever made the most gate networks to shut them down, or possibly the top three gate networks, or whoever built the last one, or what have you. Creates a hot potato situation where you want to have gates for the advantages they possess, but you don't want to have too many in case you call down the wrath of the Fallen, and even if you and everyone else keeps fairly limited networks you don't know if some unscrupulous bastard is going to quietly build an extra gate somewhere in a corner of the galaxy and tip the scales.
Maybe instead of immediate war, a few years after building a homemade gate they try to charge you a "service fee" for integrating it into the network and providing support. Saying yes gets you a service contract, which has some minor positive benefit. Saying no leads to a negative opinion modifier but no immediate penalty. If enough people have unlicensed gates they go full AE and try to sanitise the network.

Tech support / network security / software licencing referencess to taste.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

There should definitely be a Crisis associated with the Jump Gates though; something like the Babylon 5 TV movie? You've spent all game grabbing and building these things, and now something else is coming through them...

It's also very Mass Effect.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

turn off the TV posted:

Alternatively, it would be fun to see a crises/AE style opponent locked in a system with one activated gateway and no other exits, with a FE trying to stop anyone else from activating a second gateway and letting them back into the galaxy.

That would have to be heavily scripted unfortunately, because it won't work as-is for the same reason you can't make proper Ghosts of Creuss starting system - you can't exit at a gateway controlled by an enemy. Wormholes work that way, but you can't build them yourself and they're only pairs instead of an expandable network where everything is connected to everything else.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Once you get enough gates, they start trying to compete with you, not being able to comprehend that you are not a portal service like they are. First they lower prices, then they become exclusive "We only cater to those who have not used our competitor's product in the last five years". Eventually they'll try to do an acquisition, where they'll pay you some unique tech or something in exchange for transferring control of your portals. Finally (after enough time that the empire has a good chance) they will attempt a Hostile Takeover and invade

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Hence why they want to crack down on insecure gates!

Tomn posted:

I like the idea of FEs as galactic modifiers. Most games gates is gates. Building them is part of the progression, sometimes baddies come out. In a Network Security game that progression is messed with a bit. Slightly different game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DatonKallandor posted:

That would have to be heavily scripted unfortunately, because it won't work as-is for the same reason you can't make proper Ghosts of Creuss starting system - you can't exit at a gateway controlled by an enemy. Wormholes work that way, but you can't build them yourself and they're only pairs instead of an expandable network where everything is connected to everything else.

Did they change this? Last I had heard you can exit at any jump gate, but you can turn individual jump gates off.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Aethernet posted:

Isn't that the Unbidden

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

Did they change this? Last I had heard you can exit at any jump gate, but you can turn individual jump gates off.

quote:

Gateways is an advanced form of FTL most closely resembling the Wormhole FTL in the live version of the game. While exploring the galaxy, you can find abandoned Gateways that were once part of a massive, galaxy-spanning network. These Gateways are disabled and unusable, but with the Gateway Reactivation mid-game technology and a hefty investment of minerals, they can be restored to working order. Like Wormholes, Gateways allow for near-instant travel to other Gateways, but the difference is that any activated Gateway can be used to travel to any other activated Gateway, and late-game technology allows for the construction of more Gateways to expand the network. Also unlike Wormholes, which cannot be 'closed', Gateways also have the advantage of allowing any empire controlling the system they're in to control who goes through said Gateway - hostile empires and empires to whom you have closed your borders will not be able to use 'your' Gateways to just appear inside of your systems.

When the first Gateway is re-activated, another random Gateway will also be re-activated along with it, so that there is never a situation where you just have a single active Gateway going nowhere. There is a slider on game setup that controls the frequency of abandoned gateways in the galaxy.
So gateways respect closed borders status etc. even during war. But the crisis could just... not.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Isn't that the Unbidden

No, they live [outside]. The gates go [between].

(Extradimensional things are a very common sci-fi trope, to the point where two of them might be justified if they feel different in gameplay terms, which is the important thing.)

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Can we explode planets yet?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Midgame crisis: Mirror universe version of the first empire to build a new gate starts coming through the gates

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Soup du Jour posted:

Midgame crisis: Mirror universe version of the first empire to build a new gate starts coming through the gates

Goatee on a starfish.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

frogge posted:

Can we explode planets yet?

13 more days

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Aethernet posted:

No, they live [outside]. The gates go [between].

(Extradimensional things are a very common sci-fi trope, to the point where two of them might be justified if they feel different in gameplay terms, which is the important thing.)

The ones in B5 are from outside the universe/hyperspace (that's why the TV movie is called Thirdspace) :reject:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
With coming changes to travel and exploration, sensor range is going to be pretty powerful throughout the game. Even though it's obsoleted by the sentry array, you still have to get there.

Sensors are pretty lackluster right now because it's difficult/annoying/impossible to properly intercept a hostile fleet, and you usually just end up fighting in their destination system anyways.

Once fleets are forced to travel through a system to get to the next hyper lane, the more distance you can see, the more time you have to set your kamikaze rapid fire corvettes on the landing point of the system they're heading through.

Wiz- is that +2 to sensor range 2 hops via hyperlane or some static distance radius?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
2 hops, and yes sensor range is a much bigger deal now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

2 hops, and yes sensor range is a much bigger deal now
Wiz please give the weird tech ascension a higher chance to roll weird tech

Regards,

Splicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

gate crisis yes, gatekeeper FE yes

activating technological wonders beyond one's ken has never gone wrong for anyone

• Locked thread