Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rex-Goliath posted:

he's been getting angrier but he's wrong like 50% of the time

also he owns up to it when he's wrong which is nice

also 50% wrong is batting way over the average for tech predictions or whatever you call what hes doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

Meh.

It was starting to look like the specific trade secret claims were going to be hard to make stick, but at the same time, hugely embarrassing for Uber having a long drawn out case of them looking like assclowns, constantly having "mycrimes.txt ;) ;)" texts and emails entered into public record.

Also turns out Levandowski was a huge useless assclown and Uber's robot cars will be solidly in the Tesla poo poo-tier for years to come.

So... stalemate? Lawyers probably won big $$$ .

does this even loving matter to investor story time?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fits my needs posted:

does this even loving matter to investor story time?

since when did any real world poo poo matter to investor story time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder how softbank feels about a chunk of their huge cash injection going directly to google

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if tinder, but for real estate?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I wonder how softbank feels about a chunk of their huge cash injection going directly to google

it's funny, since google just sold 2.5% stake during the softbank deal and is getting a bunch of it right back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

another few apps like this and you'll be able to build a fully automated slumlord

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Logan Paul got all his videos de-monetized because he decided tasing a dead rat was a good comeback

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Luigi Thirty posted:

Logan Paul got all his videos de-monetized because he decided tasing a dead rat was a good comeback

i want a google ai to tase him, can we make this happen?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/selenalarson/status/961994986542661632

Edit: Holy lol, so Kalanick and Levandowski getting thrown under the self driving bus hardcore: https://www.uber.com/newsroom/uber-waymo-settlement/

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

~youtube stars~ are sociopaths? who knew

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol at believing uber's g1 valuation
it's like 50-100 mil

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zikan posted:

lmao google

too bad that means uber "wins"

google can't take any project to completion

also I kind of wonder if maybe google had a realization of how unlikely it is that Lidar-based fully autonomous car tech would see mass market adoption and decided getting $250M and letting another company continue to burn money on it was win-win.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shifty Pony posted:

google can't take any project to completion

also I kind of wonder if maybe google had a realization of how unlikely it is that Lidar-based fully autonomous car tech would see mass market adoption and decided getting $250M and letting another company continue to burn money on it was win-win.

probably the smarter play tbh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

an incredibly punchable youtuber.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my hot take: they mutually decided to settle upon the realization that digging through the details of the tech in court would demonstrate that self-driving cars are still decades out, and neither company is anywhere near capable of doing what they claim

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Krankenstyle posted:

probably the smarter play tbh

100% the smarter move because they realized self driving cars are decades off let uber continue to burn money instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sagebrush posted:

my hot take: they mutually decided to settle upon the realization that digging through the details of the tech in court would demonstrate that both companies are nowhere near capable of doing what they claim, and that self-driving cars are still decades out

:lol: simulposting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/chariotdagawd/status/961335932350795781

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the sarah jeong tweet of "hey guys is it bad to download the entire svn repo" and her article with "the core of the case seems to be in the 45 minutes the peanut gallery wasn't allowed to see the trade secrets" don't seem to line up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

woah. that’s...appropriate.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

Yup, the first generation of kids in the US in a century without lead poisoning and literally the sum of human knowledge in their hands is actually very dumb compared to their parents.

Go drink some hemlock old man.

if you use this phrase to refer to "the internet," you are a huge loving dipshit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

the sarah jeong tweet of "hey guys is it bad to download the entire svn repo" and her article with "the core of the case seems to be in the 45 minutes the peanut gallery wasn't allowed to see the trade secrets" don't seem to line up

the dude that downloaded the entire svn repo wasn't on trial, uber was

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

vine stars were always so desperate to be celebrities in movies and television :allears:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chris Knight posted:

if you use this phrase to refer to "the internet," you are a huge loving dipshit

are you surprised by a post from "GreatBacon" ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hifi posted:

uber and newco/ottomoto definitely thought they were doing something wrong/sneaky to give themselves a leg up on waymo and very incompetently failed to cover their tracks, it turns out this was also utterly irrelevant because the data they stole wasn't "valuable", or at least probably wouldn't have passed muster as "trade secrets"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they thought they were pulling some new rose hotel poo poo but all they managed was to very incompetently steal a phone book*

*metaphorically, not a literal phone book

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

she’s saying that the public case was really weak because the closest thing google has to a smoking gun, the mis-sent email with the board layouts that were suspiciously like google’s, was apparently ruled to not relate to trade secrets, so all google has is this circumstantial evidence about repositories being copied. so maybe there was something stronger that was presented in secret. it’s totally unclear what trade secrets the case is actually still about except that if the repository copying is pertinent then it must be something that was checked in. also “copying the repository” seems to just mean “checking out the latest revision” and there’s a witness from google who’s on record saying that that’s pretty routine even for a manager who doesn’t directly contribute anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
was goog claiming it was strange for a developer to checkout code?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the softbank purchase valued uber down to 45 bil from 68, no way are they at 72 now

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Shaggar posted:

I mean whether or not downloading the entire repo history is normal behavior for svn, he also then copied everything to a SD card.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

part of their argument was that he downloaded the whole repository (and tons of other stuff), and that contained everything relating to the project at the time, and gosh, shouldn't that ring some alarm bells?

and the google ops guy basically said, no, why?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rjmccall posted:

she’s saying that the public case was really weak because the closest thing google has to a smoking gun, the mis-sent email with the board layouts that were suspiciously like google’s, was apparently ruled to not relate to trade secrets, so all google has is this circumstantial evidence about repositories being copied. so maybe there was something stronger that was presented in secret. it’s totally unclear what trade secrets the case is actually still about except that if the repository copying is pertinent then it must be something that was checked in. also “copying the repository” seems to just mean “checking out the latest revision” and there’s a witness from google who’s on record saying that that’s pretty routine even for a manager who doesn’t directly contribute anymore

that makes sense

Shaggar posted:

i thought it meant everything, like all the random branches and development artifacts, instead of the current useful code, although i guess not. the lawyers are getting me to think what they want me to think

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

the softbank purchase valued uber down to 45 bil from 68, no way are they at 72 now

the people who cashed out to softbank, including kalanick and google ventures, did so at a 45 bil valuation. the additional 1.25b cash infusion was at 69/72 bil valuation. yes it's stupid.

also the whole practice of saying valuation = new money * new shares / (new shares + old shares) is total bullshit as we know anyway. the new shares are almost always loaded with ratchets and covenants and such that makes them worth anywhere from 1-5x common stock that employees and whoever else get.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

he was a project lead or something at the time

all developers know that that management mucking with code directly never ends well

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

are you surprised by a post from "GreatBacon" ?

no, but it's common usage around the tech obsessed from what I've seen

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

Musk wrote that as soon as the Model 3 reaches volume production this year, there will be "free frozen yogurt stands scattered around the factory" as well as a "Tesla electric pod car roller coaster."

ok so never

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

I mean whether or not downloading the entire repo history is normal behavior for svn, he also then copied everything to a SD card.

yeah, and also made an encrypted archive of it and deleted the checkout. the case against levandowski, that he was at least giving himself the ability to steal the checkout, is pretty solid. the problem for google is proving that uber actually accepted and used the checkout

anyway, what happened post-checkout isn’t actually pertinent here. this came up at the trial because uber was trying to argue that google wasn’t taking the precautions with this information that you would expect if they actually thought of it as important trade secrets, because it’s a defense against the lawsuit to say “we didn’t take anything, but what you’re saying we took wasn’t secret anyway”. that’s why uber was pushing the whole “he copied the repository and you just let him????” angle

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
waymo hosed up when they didnt sue levandowski. they thought they could sue uber and then they just fired him which i dont think waymo was expecting.

turns out he's a gigantic selfish jerk and yet he made out with millions of dollars oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

no, but it's common usage around the tech obsessed from what I've seen

a product of the sum of human knowledge