Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The goal zone is called the house. I took an intense interest in curling during the Sochi Olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RatHat posted:

So was that an auto loss for whatever team he belongs to or did they have to redo the game?

Nope. That stone is considered "burned" and removed from play, according to my Googling.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
'Don't burn your stones in an ice house'
--Old Curling Proverb

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Aw man, I was hoping for a cyborg.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samizdata posted:

Nope. That stone is considered "burned" and removed from play, according to my Googling.

They should have called it “papered”.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Government shut down again :toot:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Happy Landfill posted:

Government shut down again :toot:

oh ffs

Incidentally, what's your avatar from?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Someone didn't check the translation in Thailand.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Foo Fighters still deny that HIV and AIDS are connected but their fans don't care

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Platystemon posted:

They should have called it “papered”.

I appreciated this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Memento posted:

oh ffs

Incidentally, what's your avatar from?

It's from the graphic novel series Saga and it's of the Lying Cat, who can tell if people are lying.

e: I suppose this panel would be more on the nose

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's from the graphic novel series Saga and it's of the Lying Cat, who can tell if people are lying.

e: I suppose this panel would be more on the nose

Oh poo poo, I was just thinking of this yesterday but I couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/R3D_5T4R/status/961411199941345280

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My mom is an Olympic-level curling official so I can help here :eng101:

Memento posted:

They're just going over the track to see what it's like, if they were actually playing at that point in time there wouldn't have been anyone in the target zone.

Someone who knows what the correct terms are (instead of "track" and "zone") will come along shortly and correct me.

Sheet/ice; house.

Samizdata posted:

Nope. That would be circumstantially true if the end wasn't over, but as noted above they're cleaning up to prepare for the next end. He's just clumsy. One cool thing about curling is that many rules are only true if the teams can't agree what to do. If a player burns his own rock, it's out. If a player burns the other team's rock, there's a complex process for putting it back.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't get it :confused:

The cyclist with the yellow helmet and greet shorts has a red bike seat and it looks like blood? Otherwise, I got nothin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Not sure if this goes here or the hosed up headlines thread, but going to share in both.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article198971069.html

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

My mom is an Olympic-level curling official so I can help here :eng101:

Sheet/ice; house.

Nope. That would be circumstantially true if the end wasn't over, but as noted above they're cleaning up to prepare for the next end. He's just clumsy. One cool thing about curling is that many rules are only true if the teams can't agree what to do. If a player burns his own rock, it's out. If a player burns the other team's rock, there's a complex process for putting it back.

Welp, that is why I made the point of saying I Googled it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Not sure if this goes here or the hosed up headlines thread, but going to share in both.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article198971069.html

"I'm going to sue the airline for killing my hamster!"

"Oh, what did they do?"

"They got me confused and I intentionally killed my own hamster because I thought that's how you get on a plane."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

chitoryu12 posted:

"I'm going to sue the airline for killing my hamster!"

"Oh, what did they do?"

"They got me confused and I intentionally killed my own hamster because I thought that's how you get on a plane."

Yeah, that’s... how do you not run round the airport begging cashiers, cleaners, debarkers to adopt your pet? Get the desk to announce it’s free to a good home? What kind of psycho flushes a pet?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, that’s... how do you not run round the airport begging cashiers, cleaners, debarkers to adopt your pet? Get the desk to announce it’s free to a good home? What kind of psycho flushes a pet?

I mean I would just find a secluded area and let it go to rampage around the airport until it was caught if nothing else.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Trig Discipline posted:

I mean I would just find a secluded area and let it go to rampage around the airport until it was caught if nothing else.

It does say she thought of that and decided it’d just run round in a panic until it got squashed or eaten, which I do give her points for, it’s just the :derp: flush it! conclusion I have a huge issue with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd at least try to find someone who was there with an emotional support snake.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

did she at least wring its neck before flushing it? i mean thatd be better than being tossed around a lovely tube before drowning :ohdear:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uber just settled their case against Google. I wonder how many millions they paid.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

did she at least wring its neck before flushing it? i mean thatd be better than being tossed around a lovely tube before drowning :ohdear:

Honestly you could just stomp on it and be more humane.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know much about curling (that’s curling, right?), but seeing as they’re pushing the stones away from the target with their feet and poles, I think that’s just cleanup.

no it's cross-country skiing

sportsball

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

the schadenfreude is hamilton/hamilton last night, woof

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trig Discipline posted:

Honestly you could just stomp on it and be more humane.

yea that'd be ok too. just as long as its quick instead of drowing in turd hell

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Uber just settled their case against Google. I wonder how many millions they paid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/uber-waymo-lawsuit-settlement.html

245M

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CommonShore posted:

My mom is an Olympic-level curling official so I can help here :smuggo:

Explain the wild card ends in the insanity that is mixed doubles.

Great curling fact: if you fall over in the house the worst thing you can do is put your hand flat on the ice to get up because you gently caress up the pebble.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

In equity (.34%) , not cash.

How the hell is Uber worth 72 billion?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

Taxis are so bad that people are willing to put up with potential murder.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phanatic posted:

Because Uber will singlehandedly replace the entire worldwide taxi market (40 bill alone I think?) and all privately owned cars with constantly circling robocars.

Its a pretty low evaluation if you think they can actually ever do it but yea lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uber is worth 72 billion despite never having made a profit. But it's really bizarre seeing the CEO of Uber apologize for their behavior.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

there is so much money floating around the capital markets and so little actual useful things to invest that money in that any drat stupid technology company gets a billion dollars thrown at it if it passes a basic sanity check

Mu Zeta posted:

Uber is worth 72 billion despite never having made a profit. But it's really bizarre seeing the CEO of Uber apologize for their behavior.

they kicked out kalanick and replaced him with a guy whose job is to do nothing but apologize about the entire company top to bottom acting like massive assholes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-01-18/the-fall-of-travis-kalanick-was-a-lot-weirder-and-darker-than-you-thought

quote:

As usual with Kalanick, the discussion grew contentious. Jones and his deputies argued that Uber’s riders and drivers viewed the company as made up of a bunch of greedy, self-centered jerks. And as usual, Kalanick retorted that the company had a public-relations problem, not a cultural one.

Then a top executive excused herself to answer a phone call. A minute later, she reappeared and asked Kalanick to step into the hallway. Another executive joined them. They hunched over a laptop to watch a video that had just been posted online by Bloomberg News: grainy, black-and-white dashcam footage of Kalanick in the back seat of an UberBlack on Super Bowl weekend, heatedly arguing over fares with a driver named Fawzi Kamel.

“Some people don’t like to take responsibility for their own poo poo!” Kalanick can be heard yelling at Kamel. “They blame everything in their life on somebody else!”

As the clip ended, the three stood in stunned silence. Kalanick seemed to understand that his behavior required some form of contrition. According to a person who was there, he literally got down on his hands and knees and began squirming on the floor. “This is bad,” he muttered. “I’m terrible.”

boner confessor has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Feb 9, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao that's the good poo poo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Phanatic posted:

That Juicero company got $120 million of funding before it shut down. They made the $700 juicing machine that required wifi and a subscription to $5 juice packs.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
https://i.imgur.com/tGMZ0rF.mp4

You can hear the panic!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

boner confessor posted:

As the clip ended, the three stood in stunned silence. Kalanick seemed to understand that his behavior required some form of contrition. According to a person who was there, he literally got down on his hands and knees and began squirming on the floor. “This is bad,” he muttered. “I’m terrible.”

Unexpected but not unwelcome! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, what the hell is going on there? Is she saying, "Oh my God, it's stuck?" Lol, wtf?