Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

As an anti-capitalist who has a disdain for crass consumerism and the cluster of poverty-level jobs that malls represent, I shouldn't be bothered by this... yet I am for reasons I don't quite understand.

Because they were community centers despite how much some people rant about how they couldn't possibly be such? Because the "poverty level jobs" they had aren't getting replaced by anything better - and for that matter a lot of the jobs were pretty good? Because reducing it all to just consumerism is to fundamentally misunderstand what malls are and were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm surprised a mall that has a movie theater wouldn't have a food court. I've been to several where both of these were close together- it makes sense to eat a quick meal and see a movie. Typically impulse buyers will still get an overpriced ice cream or latte in the theater concession anyway, so they don't really compete for business.

In the Bay Area it seems like malls are surviving by staying high end; Stanford Mall isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Santana Row and Hillsdale as well. But others like Vallco, Oakridge and Eastridge might flounder.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

boner confessor posted:

i dont think you understood my post

dead and dying malls are being converted into, not malls, or half malls

however, not all malls are dead or dying. plenty are doing fine

From what I've seen, it's usually the high-end/upscale malls that do just fine. It's the far-flung suburban malls that are in deep poo poo. One of those malls in my area is being redeveloped into a "towne center" type complex with shopping, dining, apartments and a Topgolf. Most of the old malls from my childhood have been converted into or replaced by outdoor "lifestyle centers" and regular outdoor strip malls dominated by big box chain stores.

The only remaining "true mall" (a 50s-era outdoor strip mall rebuilt into a 70s-era mall that was completely renovated in the 00s) is doing okay, but they're struggling to keep vacancies at bay. It helps that it borders a decent residential area with a high enough average income to sustain it.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
because of the retail collapse i am going to inherit about two million dollars' worth of jewellery and i don't know what i'm going to do with it

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
are any of you getting married in about twenty years? hmu

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Domestic Amuse posted:

From what I've seen, it's usually the high-end/upscale malls that do just fine. It's the far-flung suburban malls that are in deep poo poo. One of those malls in my area is being redeveloped into a "towne center" type complex with shopping, dining, apartments and a Topgolf. Most of the old malls from my childhood have been converted into or replaced by outdoor "lifestyle centers" and regular outdoor strip malls dominated by big box chain stores.

high end malls draw on a particular customer base than the lower class sears crowd so they have a larger geographic area to work on. there's two factors imo which are impacting malls, competition and moving populations

a number of malls during the golden age of malls were very close to each other to compete. where there were once enough customers to compete with each other, once that customer base shrinks and there isn't enough business to go around the first mall to enter a death spiral loses and dies

also in a lot of american metropolitan areas, malls were built in inner ring suburbs when those suburbs were outer ring, and prosperous. however in the following decades, suburbs kept going further out, drawing wealthier, whiter people with them who were fleeing traffic and "crime" in the first place. these now inner ring suburbs, being older and cheaper, attracted less wealthy residents. sometimes, significantly less wealthier. when gentrification pushes poor people from cities, they usually end up in the worst and least desirable inner ring suburbs (being cheapest) and these are the new concentrations of poverty for the 21st century. also, the wealthy new suburbs would build new malls, cannibalizing business

in my area, the individual local malls i have visited are:

-thriving, due to being situated in a wealthy suburban city as well as relatively, but not budget busting, upscale

-barely hanging on, with two anchors (a movie theater and a depressing clothing store), no food court, half vacancy and the other half weird local startups drawn by cheap rent, like pottery painting and a low budget gaming cafe. probably wont get any worse though as the movie theater is busy, given it's the only place on that side of the city where you can see new movies for $5 a ticket

-doing ok but not great, three sagging anchors and a half full food court. about 1/3 vacancy, decent foot traffic but some notable closures

-dead dead dead. stone dead. someone was murdered and the body went undiscovered for a week in the kitchen of an abandoned restaurant. one of those weird dead malls which is inexplicably still open and you can walk around in the eerie splendor. maybe 5%-10% occupied, mostly stores with external entry which just keep the doors to the mall proper permanently shut. this mall used to be THE mall

-next to super dead mall, a smaller outlying mall which is doing pretty well because it totally converted into catering to the growing hispanic middle class

-weird outlet mall. it's an outlet mall. last time i was there it seemed sorta vacant, but it always has

-outlying megamall. built in the late 90's, poached a ton of business from dead mall. a few vacancies but mostly because the mall is so big that there's internal competition (TWO anime stores???)

also in my area, a suburban city with no downtown bought and tore down a big strip mall and converted it into a nice little town center with a town green, some mixed use retail/housing, townhouses etc. to serve as the nucleus of a growing young city. very forward thinking and a good model for similar projects

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a half dead mall in the Baltimore area that has a weird place that's just for sitting. It's just a hole in the wall with really uncomfortable and dirty dining type tables and chairs under harsh fluorescent light with nothing for sale and no decoration. Wander in and sit as long as you like. It's like a little Greyhound bus terminal with no buses.

Also the food court features a place that makes keys.

As far as I can tell this mall will exist forever as long as the DMV that is in it for some reason and the movie theater don't leave.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How does accessibility matter? Most of the malls down under I can think of tend to be next to/include big public transport hubs. (though then again, I doubt I'd regularly visit the ones that don't)

I recall stumbling into a high-end mall once. It was weird. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inescapable Duck posted:

How does accessibility matter? Most of the malls down under I can think of tend to be next to/include big public transport hubs. (though then again, I doubt I'd regularly visit the ones that don't)

I recall stumbling into a high-end mall once. It was weird. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it again.

It's extremely common for a mall to be used as a public transport hub or at least a major place for buses to stop, if there's public transit around at all.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Malladoon.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

this is pretty uncommon in the united states outside of major cities or highly urbanized areas

most malls in the states are only accessible by car, or have token (useless) transit. in my metro area there are two malls with transit stations adjacent, a half dozen or so you can take the bus to, and then another dozen which have little/no transit access (no bus at all, or an underused suburban system with poor connectivity)

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 8, 2018

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Domestic Amuse posted:

The only remaining "true mall" (a 50s-era outdoor strip mall rebuilt into a 70s-era mall that was completely renovated in the 00s) is doing okay, but they're struggling to keep vacancies at bay. It helps that it borders a decent residential area with a high enough average income to sustain it.

This is actually what happened with the Cross County shopping center in Yonkers here in NY. The old man in the family that owns it finally passed and starting in I want to say around 07 they completely renovated the place from this dirt mall throwback to the 50's to a completely new place and they've been doing gangbusters ever since.

The one high end indoor left in this area is The Westchester up in White Plains and it's this beautiful cathedral to high end shopping that is almost always empty.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is actually what happened with the Cross County shopping center in Yonkers here in NY. The old man in the family that owns it finally passed and starting in I want to say around 07 they completely renovated the place from this dirt mall throwback to the 50's to a completely new place and they've been doing gangbusters ever since.

The one high end indoor left in this area is The Westchester up in White Plains and it's this beautiful cathedral to high end shopping that is almost always empty.

The Westchester got hosed by the Palisades, since if you're well off enough to go to the Westchester, you're probably just as able to go over to the Palisades, which is gigantic and was built about the same time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

The Westchester got hosed by the Palisades, since if you're well off enough to go to the Westchester, you're probably just as able to go over to the Palisades, which is gigantic and was built about the same time.

Or for that matter, one of the fancier Paramus malls. Or maybe now you just go the Westfield at the WTC.

It's still kinda funny that Westfield paid big bucks to buyout the previous owner of the mall at the WTC in August 2001, and then it got 9/11ed into rubble before they could make any money back, staying that way for like 15 years.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So a while back I read an article about working in an Amazon warehouse and how it’s not atypical to see someone break down in tears during a shift.

And then today, I saw a separate article about how employees at Whole Foods are now breaking down in tears over the new inventory system that Amazon is forcing them to comply to.

I guess I’ve never had a job where crying was necessary, but it seems like a hosed up trend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
People are breaking down in these jobs because the productivity metrics are so unrealistic that taking a drink of water from a bottle hanging from your belt is considered a waste of precious seconds.

Amazon has patented a wristband to track its warehouse employees' hand motions. Extreme micromanagement of an employee's every physical gesture was explored in productivity research in the 50s and 60s. It was abandoned for being obviously insane.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't know if it's because it's a newer DC by me, but I don't hear these complaints from people I know. Other than sheer boredom as you stand there with the robots lining up in your queue with the shelves. Most are also taking advantage of free schooling at the tech college down the road that Amazon pays for, although my friends say barely anyone takes advantage of the benefit sadly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

People are breaking down in these jobs because the productivity metrics are so unrealistic that taking a drink of water from a bottle hanging from your belt is considered a waste of precious seconds.

Amazon has patented a wristband to track its warehouse employees' hand motions. Extreme micromanagement of an employee's every physical gesture was explored in productivity research in the 50s and 60s. It was abandoned for being obviously insane.

gotta love neo taylorism

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah scientific management is at the root of a lotta bullshit in both capitalism and communism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I guess I’ve never had a job where crying was necessary, but it seems like a hosed up trend.

Rich people have moved on from making their direct reports cry to making everyone cry. That's innovation baby!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol if you think the stemlords running amazon have even opened a history book on workplace organization

thats for liberal arts cucks

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Hand Row posted:

I don't know if it's because it's a newer DC by me, but I don't hear these complaints from people I know. Other than sheer boredom as you stand there with the robots lining up in your queue with the shelves. Most are also taking advantage of free schooling at the tech college down the road that Amazon pays for, although my friends say barely anyone takes advantage of the benefit sadly.
They always make a new facility seem inviting to get the first wave in. And by Amazon's own statements you don't get "free" school ($12K over 4 years lol) until they've been there a year, so I'm not sure how they are doing that.

edit: in fact it's seems like there's a ton of loopholes:

quote:

After associates have been employed by Amazon for as little as one continuous year, the Amazon Career Choice Program will pre-pay 95% of tuition and fees for them to earn certificates and associate degrees in high-demand occupations such as aircraft mechanics, computer-aided design, machine tool technologies, medical lab technologies, nursing, and many other fields.

In addition, Amazon will also reimburse 95% of the cost of all required textbooks. The program will pay up to $12,000 in tuition, textbooks and associated fees over four years.

This program is peculiar (just like we are). In fact, it's safe to say you won't find anything quite like it anywhere else. We exclusively fund education only in areas that are in high demand according to sources like the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, and we fund those areas regardless of whether those skills are relevant to a career at Amazon.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fried Watermelon posted:

lol if you think the stemlords running amazon have even opened a history book on workplace organization

thats for liberal arts cucks
The purpose of Silicon Valley is to reinvent stupid poo poo that's already tried and failed, or reinvent commonplace industries but in such a way that you avoid taxes and any other responsibility to the communities from which you extract profit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
By newer I meant in the last few years. Having to be there for a year makes sense why so few do it, I would go crazy. Dunno where you live but 12k would cover a tech school degree here without much issue. One is getting a welding degree and the other is hydraulic mechanic I think if anyone is curious.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Educational stuff from Amazon for DC/FC

I'm sure there's nothing quite like the feeling of trying to stay awake during your barely-paid-for night classes right after working a brutal twelve-hour shift in a warehouse.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Finding a way to be mad about a job covering your tuition costs for a much better job, only in the Retail Collapse thread.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I was just listening to a podcast where they all started joking about their terrible work experiences - one worked in game testing where the company did a trial run of a device/metric thing that involved a timer at your workstation that counted up whenever you were away from your desk. Apparently the data wasn't acted on, but obviously made everyone who had to endure it more miserable. The company didn't end up putting it into full practice.

Another had a story about how his grocery store went from a punch card system to a biometric fingerprint scanner because they thought people were taking too long on their breaks or not accurately reporting breaks or something. The fingerprint machine sucked and basically turned punching in/out for break from a moment to several minutes due to the machine taking several tries and lineups to use it, thus turning 15 minute breaks into 20-25 minutes of being away.

There's little funnier to me then the irony of employee micromanagement or stupid corporate policy making everything worse or more inefficient.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dont even fink about it posted:

Finding a way to be mad about a job covering your tuition costs for a much better job, only in the Retail Collapse thread.

Whoosh.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

If you make it for X-period of time in a highly stressful job.

If you don't have to work a second job 'cause the first one don't pay enough.

If the school's close enough and you've got the transportation to make it there, attend your class, get back, sleep, and stumble off to work again.

12k while attending school and working at an Amazon warehouse? I'd rather enlist.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

$12,000 over four years, provided you keep working, provided sufficient hours, provided you work at least one year, provided you don't need more than an Associate's degree or Cert, and provided your program is approved. Those are just the public-facing requirements, too. There are almost certainly pages more of restrictions that we haven't seen. (I bet the manager has a limited budget and/or the benefit's approval is tied to meeting your productivity goals, which nobody does.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sundae posted:

Those are just the public-facing requirements, too. There are almost certainly pages more of restrictions that we haven't seen. (I bet the manager has a limited budget and/or the benefit's approval is tied to meeting your productivity goals, which nobody does.)

This is all idle speculation by you, nothing of value. I heard Billy had to do 16 hour shifts and then the shift manager wouldn't give him tuition because he stuck his pecker in the water fountain.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If you make it for X-period of time in a highly stressful job.

If you don't have to work a second job 'cause the first one don't pay enough.

If the school's close enough and you've got the transportation to make it there, attend your class, get back, sleep, and stumble off to work again.

12k while attending school and working at an Amazon warehouse? I'd rather enlist.

Well it's not the GI Bill, no, and it's not even a white-glove program--Target does the exact same thing at its warehouses, for example.

Working a job while going to school, though--oh the humanity. To say nothing of warehouse jobs paying about twice entry-level retail these days.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

This is all idle speculation by you, nothing of value. I heard Billy had to do 16 hour shifts and then the shift manager wouldn't give him tuition because he stuck his pecker in the water fountain.

Well it's not the GI Bill, no, and it's not even a white-glove program--Target does the exact same thing at its warehouses, for example.

Working a job while going to school, though--oh the humanity. To say nothing of warehouse jobs paying about twice entry-level retail these days.

It isn't working at a warehouse, it's working at an Amazon warehouse. Insane metrics and 10-12 hour shifts on the reg will run a whole lotta asses into the dirt. If you've the endurance to work twelve on your feet and then head off to school, my hat's off to you and I hope you make it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yeah all we've got is random hearsay and not a string of well-corroborated articles discussing the utter hell of working in an Amazon warehouse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't kid yourself it was abandoned because it was hard. With technology it's easy

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Why don't you look at the link I posted you dumbfuck, since it's the actual Amazon website and it's still loaded with half-assed "up to", "certain fields" etc. Dismiss the difficulty of working a full time job while going to school all you want, it isn't something that everyone can do; you sound like the dumbfucks the boss points out who loooooove working overtime, so why is everybody against it? It's window dressing on a lovely job that treats its workers like crap. I live in a town where the only opportunities are shithole light industrial/warehouse jobs like this. We got rampant OD's, 75% of the kids in the school system qualify for reduced or free school lunch, and making twice poo poo is still poo poo.

Response prediction: "well uh bootstraps and work harder and you should have gone to college blah blah blah"

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Yeah it's cool that they offer to cover some classes. It really does not negate the fact that everything else I've read about working at an Amazon warehouse in particular indicates that it is actually worse than hell. And there's also no reason for it to be that way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

The purpose of Silicon Valley is to reinvent stupid poo poo that's already tried and failed, or reinvent commonplace industries but in such a way that you avoid taxes and any other responsibility to the communities from which you extract profit.

I'm pretty sure the main purpose of Silicon Valley right now is scamming investors. How many startups just plain plan on not being profitable, getting venture capital, then selling to another company? So many of them seem to just not care about making actual traditional profit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Why don't you look at the link I posted you dumbfuck, since it's the actual Amazon website and it's still loaded with half-assed "up to", "certain fields" etc. Dismiss the difficulty of working a full time job while going to school all you want, it isn't something that everyone can do; you sound like the dumbfucks the boss points out who loooooove working overtime, so why is everybody against it? It's window dressing on a lovely job that treats its workers like crap. I live in a town where the only opportunities are shithole light industrial/warehouse jobs like this. We got rampant OD's, 75% of the kids in the school system qualify for reduced or free school lunch, and making twice poo poo is still poo poo.

Response prediction: "well uh bootstraps and work harder and you should have gone to college blah blah blah"

You should probably focus on the job being poo poo and not complain that a frankly above-average benefits package exists for entry-level work that pays 200% of retail.

"Walmart offers me a 401K! Fuckin' horrible!"

Because I've got some bad news for you, company tuition programs always have strings attached.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vegetable posted:

Don't kid yourself it was abandoned because it was hard. With technology it's easy
And it still doesn't necessarily make sense. Business is rife with people measuring stupid metrics thinking it'll improve things, and 99% of the time those metrics are mysteriously the only thing that improves, while the business as a whole performs the same(or worse) as before.

Of course, oftentimes the things that really would improve performance(better staffing, treating staff better so they're more motivated, properly funding 'cost center' departments like IT, etc) are hard to quanitify, so managers only see how much they cost and are eager to cut them to the bone if they get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

And it still doesn't necessarily make sense. Business is rife with people measuring stupid metrics thinking it'll improve things, and 99% of the time those metrics are mysteriously the only thing that improves, while the business as a whole performs the same(or worse) as before.

Of course, oftentimes the things that really would improve performance(better staffing, treating staff better so they're more motivated, properly funding 'cost center' departments like IT, etc) are hard to quanitify, so managers only see how much they cost and are eager to cut them to the bone if they get a chance.

The biggest problem is that cutting IT, training, and employee wages to the bone leads to a jump in profits right now. It causes massive damage in the long term but by that point the person who made the decision will be off to pillage another company or in a position to pass the blame onto somebody else. Same goes for making the product smaller or shittier; it leads to increased profits this quarter. It makes for better numbers and fat executive bonuses in the short term. The various stakeholders, shareholders, and investors want numbers right god damned now rather than a decade from now. It's all about making this quarter's numbers better than last quarter's numbers at all costs even if that cost is that the company burns down in two years.