Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I did the newly "improved" MSQDR with a 62 Dragoon and it gave me goddamn 28% of a level.

"Half a level in the mid 60s" my rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Renegret posted:

Nah Blizz 2 and Freeze are super straightforward spells to learn how to use.

The first step is to click the skills on your bar. While holding left click, move your mouse in a direction away from your skill bars. Finally, while hovering dead space, release left click.

Congratulations! You have now used Freeze properly.

Lol

The lvl50 blm rotation is the most fun I've had in the game, if only for how simple it was, but 60 seems alright. Just Umbral hearts, lightning, fire 4 till out of mp then repeat, with single target. I'm certain there's ways to optimize, but I've always loved BLM and I'm happy I main it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Rastan Beeza posted:

So I did the newly "improved" MSQDR with a 62 Dragoon and it gave me goddamn 28% of a level.

Did you get Castrum? It sounds like you got Castrum.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

It would be nice to have some immediate feed back if you were playing wrong besides the mob dying slower which is relative to a person. But nope! Can't have meters because that's not fair to console players and people are very rude to bad players!

Just now, i was in a group where the WHM had the DRG kicked out for not doing enough damage. So yeah.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There are dps dummies you can beat on and just get an actual idea of your dps in the game no parser needed.

Now they're tuned like hot garbage and you probably need to use an external site to turn your time into an actual number, but they do exist.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Holyshoot posted:

It would be nice to have some immediate feed back if you were playing wrong besides the mob dying slower which is relative to a person. But nope! Can't have meters because that's not fair to console players and people are very rude to bad players!

This is one complaint I do have. The dummies help, but only sorta kinda and it still requires an outside website to be truly useful. There really should be solo stuff you can do that will give players feedback on their job performance.

HenryEx posted:

Just now, i was in a group where the WHM had the DRG kicked out for not doing enough damage. So yeah.

With that little detail, it can be an rear end in a top hat WHM, but that's really not a certainty. If that happened in say a Byakko EX farm party and the DRG was doing like 1k dps, that's not an unreasonable reaction. At all.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
edit:I completely misinterpreted what I was quoting here

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Looking for suggestions on SMN book glamours to aim for

I want the coolest book

The level 69 book (I forget the SMN name but the SCH one is Ethica) is top tier and has a butterfly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Blockhouse posted:

I want the coolest book

There's like four cool books in the game. The Castrum Abania book is probably the best, but I also like the Ruby Tide book.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rastan Beeza posted:

I got roughly 50% at 69.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how is new warrior? I entirely missed the 4.2 discussion and hype.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

HQ Daily GC turn ins will get oyu a good chunk of you 60 to 61 XP.

Negative, HQ GC turn ins are bloodhemp gear, which I can't HQ

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Concurred posted:

Negative, HQ GC turn ins are bloodhemp gear, which I can't HQ

Who says you need to be the one that crafted them?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how is new warrior? I entirely missed the 4.2 discussion and hype.

Damage is fine, playstyle is now boring though.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Blockhouse posted:

I want the coolest book

HW final relic, it has WINGS

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Damage is fine, playstyle is now boring though.

that's what I figured, thanks.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Did you get Castrum? It sounds like you got Castrum.

I did actually. Is Prae the one that gives half a level or that too, a meme I should look forward to?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Rastan Beeza posted:

I did actually. Is Prae the one that gives half a level or that too, a meme I should look forward to?

Prae does indeed give you a ton of experience, but it's also much longer.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Rastan Beeza posted:

I got 50% in Castrum as a Dark with tank bonus at level 62 at 4:30am, no idea.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gally posted:

HW final relic, it has WINGS

Personally I like the second to last one, with the gold rather than purple wings.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

This is one complaint I do have. The dummies help, but only sorta kinda and it still requires an outside website to be truly useful. There really should be solo stuff you can do that will give players feedback on their job performance.

Orrrrrrr just give us a dps meter and let god sort it out. Oh that's right I forgot it's 2018 and companies have to protect us from ourselves.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Holyshoot posted:

Orrrrrrr just give us a dps meter and let god sort it out. Oh that's right I forgot it's 2018 and companies have to protect us from ourselves.

Naaawww, I would rather the game not inch towards wow territory

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Blizzard 2 and freeze are still kind of oddball spells. I almost think Blizzard 2 should be at target to match Fire 2.

There is no reason to ever cast either of these spells once you get F3/B3. The only reason I have Freeze on my hotbar is because I can spam it in town.

e: I just remembered that before 4.0 you would cross-class B2 onto SCH because it was your only AOE damage option, and AST's only AOE damage before you get Gravity at 52.

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I dont' think I've literally ever cast Freeze.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I have. The potency increase makes bigger numbers but you can literally cast 2-3x blizz 2's in the time it takes to cast a single freeze.

Blizz 2 is hella useful for when you need a little AoE damage like, right freakin' now.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just give me a Parappa the Rappa overlay that says "U deepsin' COOL/GOOD/BAD/AWFUL" and call it a day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

Ready checks for dungeon bosses are generally just time wasters . Charging straight into a primal or raid boss without warning risks loving up my opener (Kefka :orks:) and making me shout rude words at my monitor.

I had an O8 party last night where the tank pulled IMMEDIATELY after the ready check.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Blockhouse posted:

I want the coolest book

Seconding the Castrum Abania tome, it is extremely good and has a butterfly. I also seem to remember the Shire books being decent?

Also, I don't want to double post, but parse shaming (let alone kicking) is a very good way to get banned. SEV doesn't like third party tools, something something EULA.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 10, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

With that little detail, it can be an rear end in a top hat WHM, but that's really not a certainty. If that happened in say a Byakko EX farm party and the DRG was doing like 1k dps, that's not an unreasonable reaction. At all.

Nah it was just a normal dungeon, kugane castle or whatever it's called. Kicked the DRG after first boss for not ranking high enough on the DPS meter.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The limited usefulness of blizzard 2 is offset by how I always forget what key I have it bound on, and by the time I find it, it's window of usefullness has passed.

As for freeze, I don't think I've actually casted it on an enemy but it's my favorite dick around spell when at the FC house. Especially since it shrouds the area in darkness so it's really trippy when you cast it on top of someone's camera.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HenryEx posted:

Nah it was just a normal dungeon, kugane castle or whatever it's called. Kicked the DRG after first boss for not ranking high enough on the DPS meter.
This is perhaps not unreasonable if they're obviously present but not using any abilities, but I think you aren't supposed to be meter-shaming in game. Like, "you can get banned for it."

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I use freeze when there's a lot of almost dead enemies and I'm in umbral. It doesn't require a target so nobody can kill the mob you're casting fire three on and blueball you.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

This is perhaps not unreasonable if they're obviously present but not using any abilities, but I think you aren't supposed to be meter-shaming in game. Like, "you can get banned for it."

You can get in trouble for it if you specifically call them out on a DPS number or mention parsing, but if you kick them for playing like rubbish the GMs' hands are unfortunately tied. It qualifies as "playstyle differences", I believe.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Naaawww, I would rather the game not inch towards wow territory

I dunno, I feel like there are other aspects of WoW that push the playerbase inherently towards toxicity compared to FF14.

-The foundations of the FF14 community were in FF11, notably a game where people were on average much more helpful out of sheer necessity to clear content

-WoW initially sold itself partially on PvP. Competition is baked into the game, and competitive games inherently breed douchelords.

-You could even make that broader; fans of Blizzard games are more likely to be "in it to win it" and exclusionary because of how all their other games are, where 14 has the regular contingent of "I came in with no idea of what a MMO was like but I've played the series before this" expecting no pressure to optimize.

I think that while quiet boots will happen, for most of the content that most of the game sees it'll go unremarked on, and garbage performance in say an expert will largely be met with friendly tips, at which point it becomes the bad player's problem if they respond angrily.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

You can get in trouble for it if you specifically call them out on a DPS number or mention parsing, but if you kick them for playing like rubbish the GMs' hands are unfortunately tied. It qualifies as "playstyle differences", I believe.

He wasn't calling out any numbers or anything, he was just telling the DRG "Do dmg or get kicked" before the boss, and after the boss did the latter. :shrug:
Not much you can do there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just don't think meters are going to solve any problems.

The people who double down on playing lovely are going to do it regardless of physical evidence of playing lovely. Anyone who cares can easily access the information on how to play good, because the internet exists. Meters aren't going to make those people suddenly start caring.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
don't shame people for kicking bad dps. I've gone through too many EXDRs with dps doing worse than me on tank.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Blockhouse posted:

I want the coolest book

I like the Elkliege ARR Pvp book because it’s pink with a deer on it and looks like a 12 year old’s diary except it gets a blood red glow when you pull it out.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

As someone stuck on console I certainly would appreciate some sort of feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If i knew how to display these fancy pie charts, i'd show you the DRG's performance, but i can't seem to figure out how to get ACT to display that.