Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RagnarokZ posted:

What the hell is the point of electric handbrakes? Aren't one of the primary purposes of the handbrake to be an emergency brake in case of MASSIVE systems failure?

If it's electric, It'll just fail with the rest of the brakes, the gently caress?

The primary purpose of the parking brake is to hold the vehicle in place when parked, thus the name. The idea of an "emergency brake" hasn't really been a meaningful thing since dual-circuit brake systems became standard (seems to be the '60s-70s depending on manufacturer and region). Total brake failure pretty much can't happen on anything less than half a century old.

If you've ever tried to stop a vehicle from a meaningful speed with the handbrake you know how futile that idea is anyways. Most people would either get no braking force or put themselves in to a spin.

Electric parking brakes offer three major advantages over mechanical parking brakes:

1. They're automatically engaged and disengaged, so they don't get ignored in to failure on pretty much every single car with an automatic transmission.
2. The controls can be placed anywhere with no concern about routing a physical cable.
3. They're self-adjusting.

The only real downside is exactly as demonstrated, they're not friendly to hooning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That was a really good episode. I hope consumer reports picks up the large friendly dog metric for cargo capacity.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is this the last one of the of season?

As for the electronic parking brake some cars have incline sensors that will hold the car in position on a hill at a stoplight.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Colostomy Bag posted:

As for the electronic parking brake some cars have incline sensors that will hold the car in position on a hill at a stoplight.

Still an episode next week

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Electric handbrakes are poo poo. Overcomplicated solution to a problem no-one asked to be solved. Hate the loving things.

That bit where the Porsche and Alfa had a sulk at being asked to rag about in the dirt... I completely believe that happened, and that's a proper "not fit for purpose" scenario. Jesus.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nah. I know I've seen footage of at least 1 episode they haven't shown, the one with Hammond on the motorcycle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What exactly did he expect to happen with the brake? Does it really go full lock? I had a Lincoln years ago where if you pulled it while moving, it would do like 1/3 brake and then more if you pulled it again. When stopped, it would just go full lock.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some cars don’t even require you to be on a slope.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Electric handbrakes are poo poo. Overcomplicated solution to a problem no-one asked to be solved. Hate the loving things.

That bit where the Porsche and Alfa had a sulk at being asked to rag about in the dirt... I completely believe that happened, and that's a proper "not fit for purpose" scenario. Jesus.

Could be worse, could be that push pedal + pull handle combo Mercedes Benz used.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Could be worse, could be that push pedal + pull handle combo Mercedes Benz used.

Push button now.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with parking brakes.

1) Periodic adjustment, lube, etc. not done.
2) They are somewhat complicated when doing a rear brake job.
3) Rust belt poo poo.
4) No one knows what they are for.

Add it all up, and yep...here's the current situation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

At least those do what I bloody tell them to.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Was that the same place where hammond was lost back in top gear?

Lone Wolf Mountain apparently?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

3) Rust belt poo poo.
I just snapped the parking brake cable on my truck a couple of weeks ago, because it rusted out where it rubbed against one of the guides.

Jusupov posted:

Was that the same place where hammond was lost back in top gear?

Lone Wolf Mountain apparently?
If not there then someplace equally grisly, I'd imagine.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That Tesla review was pretty excellent

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

CornHolio posted:

It was.

I’ve enjoyed this whole season more than the last, and more than many of the TG seasons prior. They've become a little more relaxed and seem to be in a good rhythm where the jokes land, the visuals are perfect, and even the scripting seems natural and, occasionally, even unscripted.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RagnarokZ posted:

What the hell is the point of electric handbrakes? Aren't one of the primary purposes of the handbrake to be an emergency brake in case of MASSIVE systems failure?

If it's electric, It'll just fail with the rest of the brakes, the gently caress?

The "major" issue is that without electricity you can't disengage them, making it impossible to move a car with a dead battery. And of course no fun with drifting in snow.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 10, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Handbrakes are not an extra emergency brake. You are not orbiting a spaceship around the moon. If both your front and rear systems fail downshift and sacrifice the engine. If that fails, crash. Also why are you driving so fast.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elephanthead posted:

Handbrakes are not an extra emergency brake. You are not orbiting a spaceship around the moon. If both your front and rear systems fail downshift and sacrifice the engine.
No.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Handbrakes are not an extra emergency brake. You are not orbiting a spaceship around the moon. If both your front and rear systems fail downshift and sacrifice the engine. If that fails, crash. Also why are you driving so fast.

Never lift, bruh.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So those tailgates, is it not possible to reach up and close them manually?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CornHolio posted:

So those tailgates, is it not possible to reach up and close them manually?

The motor fights you. My dad bought an Acura RDX a few months ago and no, you can't just push the tailgate down.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I lost it with the army of lawyers. Very subtle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the season was weaker up until the gimmicky unscripted ep, but has been very strong since.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like my electric parking brake. It disengages automatically when I drive away. For some reason, VW figured it only needs to engage automatically when I have that stupid braking assistant enabled (it keeps brake pressure up when you brake to a standstill, so you can take the foot of the pedal), which is a shame. Because I don't see how they're related.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

wolrah posted:

The primary purpose of the parking brake is to hold the vehicle in place when parked, thus the name. The idea of an "emergency brake" hasn't really been a meaningful thing since dual-circuit brake systems became standard (seems to be the '60s-70s depending on manufacturer and region). Total brake failure pretty much can't happen on anything less than half a century old.

If you've ever tried to stop a vehicle from a meaningful speed with the handbrake you know how futile that idea is anyways. Most people would either get no braking force or put themselves in to a spin.

Electric parking brakes offer three major advantages over mechanical parking brakes:

1. They're automatically engaged and disengaged, so they don't get ignored in to failure on pretty much every single car with an automatic transmission.
2. The controls can be placed anywhere with no concern about routing a physical cable.
3. They're self-adjusting.

The only real downside is exactly as demonstrated, they're not friendly to hooning.

Hill starts and parallel parking (on a hill) too. I get that a car with an electronic parking brake would likely have some sort of hill-start assist, but those have timers, which could cause problems in traffic. The HSA on my car is pretty lovely, but my car is also not nice, so that might be part of it. My previous car was a manual, and parking without the handbrake was impossible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The old Subaru hill-holder clutch was a godsend when learning I was learning to drive stick.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Toe Rag posted:

Hill starts and parallel parking (on a hill) too. I get that a car with an electronic parking brake would likely have some sort of hill-start assist, but those have timers, which could cause problems in traffic. The HSA on my car is pretty lovely, but my car is also not nice, so that might be part of it. My previous car was a manual, and parking without the handbrake was impossible.

I learned to drive stick on a Ranger with a pedal-operated parking brake, so that's never really even entered my mind. I can see how a handbrake could make those things a bit easier but is it really that big of a deal? Definitely correct on the hill start assist though, my 2002 BMW, 2013 Kia, and 2015 Ford all have it even though all of those do have traditional cable-operated handbrakes. I guarantee anything with an electronic parking brake has it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Next year they need to do the 800km ice road booze run as a cheap car challenge.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
New Subaru STIs have an actual handbrake and hill start. Works really well actually.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
As someone who hates SUVs with a fiery passion that episode was cathartic.

They are poo poo at absolutely everything except getting sold.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Eifert Posting posted:

I'd agree, with a quantifying "it depends". SUVs that don't work off road are an insult to, well, everything. SUVs that do are how the game's meant to be played.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, nothing on that show was an SUV.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Eifert Posting posted:

Definitely this kind, which is a goddamn plague here in LA. Though their shittiness doesn’t matter since not a single one has ever gone more off-road than Laurel Canyon. Apparently every rich family needs a 7-seat people mover, and it needs to be a $100k+ luxury vehicle so you can see the badges.

I’m sure there are decent SUV’s, but I’m guessing Porsche doesn’t make them and you don’t need them anyway in a giant city where it never snows.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Xealot posted:

Definitely this kind, which is a goddamn plague here in LA. Though their shittiness doesn’t matter since not a single one has ever gone more off-road than Laurel Canyon. Apparently every rich family needs a 7-seat people mover, and it needs to be a $100k+ luxury vehicle so you can see the badges.

I’m sure there are decent SUV’s, but I’m guessing Porsche doesn’t make them and you don’t need them anyway in a giant city where it never snows.

Actually, the Macan GTS and Cayenne S hybrid are probably the two best SUVs I’ve driven in the last few years.

The idea that all SUVs are as capable off-road is misguided. After all, didn’t the Suburban invent the genre? That’s hardly a rock hopper.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

People think that AWD/4WD means offroad not that it is there to keep the thing stable on icy roads and a bit of mud maybe. The episode was good for showing this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On a regular car, it is. But if you're going to ape off road styling elements and higher ride height, you need to make it work off road.

And the drivetrain certainly shouldn't throw a hissy fit at being asked to do some romping about in loose dirt, or get up a slope with a very light trailer.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

On a regular car, it is. But if you're going to ape off road styling elements and higher ride height, you need to make it work off road.

And the drivetrain certainly shouldn't throw a hissy fit at being asked to do some romping about in loose dirt, or get up a slope with a very light trailer.

You know this isn’t a documentary, right?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The thing that is being missed IMO is that a F150 Raptor costs half as much as the SUVs they had :staredog:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

You know this isn’t a documentary, right?
I don't think they faked that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I don't think they faked that, though.

Bear in mind those three were probably on sticky rubber because they were the stupidly powerful performance models.