Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting my Swooping Hawks

Boon posted:

Three more of these guys to go, four Shining Spears, and maaaaaaybe a custom Skyrunner Autarch before Adepticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Yeast posted:

Stynelrez.

Come, join the light.

its weird for me my old garbage airbrush worked with stynelrez primer but vallejo would splatter and do weird stuff no matter if you thinned it or not, but my 105 is the opposite gives no shits about state of vallejo but sputters and gets dry tip with stynelrez no matter how I mess with it. :shrug:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Yeast posted:

Stynelrez.

Come, join the light.

Oh yeah, I switched over last year. Way nicer matte, way thinner.

It was more meant to show that sometimes you just get an unreproduceable, nonsensical error because airbrushes run on voodoo and luck, rather than physics.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Here’s a weird question: if I’m moving across the country (and we’re not driving there), what’s the best way to send hobby supplies like paint and solvents to my new place? Or will I have to just get rid of it all and buy replacements?

This is in the US and we’re using movers, but they obviously don’t take anything flammable. (Maybe I won’t even be able to take my acrylic paints either...)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You'll be fine boxing them up, it's just acrylic paint. Maybe throw them in zip lock bags if you're worried about them somehow popping.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I’m not super worried about my acrylics, but I’m a bit worried about my spray paints and lacquers and such. I might be able to mail them to myself? I just hate to waste stuff like this...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, you'd be fine mailing those if the movers are putting your stuff on a plane. They get shipped all the time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Avenging Dentist posted:

I’m not super worried about my acrylics, but I’m a bit worried about my spray paints and lacquers and such. I might be able to mail them to myself? I just hate to waste stuff like this...

Mailing should be fine. Check local regulations for the spray paint, but stuff like glues should be fine. Alternatively you can check some of that stuff if you're flying.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Quick question.

I'm going to get my paints in about an hours time and I want to get this colour on my guns:

There's no way I'm going to be able to do the mad poo poo with the tubes hanging out the bottom of it but does the following seem about right:

Incubi Darkness
Drakenhof Nightshade
Baharoth/Teslis/Lothern Blue

I can't decide whether it's the "Sea Green" in the Citadel app (Incubi Darkness, Coelia Greenshade, Kabalite Green, Sybarite Green) or closer to what I've listed above.

e: maybe I want incubi darkness with nuln oil?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why not buy a few and experiment?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Not a bad idea actually. Guess I'll get both and do a few test gaunts.

This is what I'm going to go for, any comments/criticism welcome.

Skin

Base: Ceramic White
Shade: Drakenhof Nightshade
Layer: Pallid Wich Flesh
Edge: White Scar

Carapace

Base: 1st Abbadon Black, Khorne Red
Shade: Nuln Oil
Layer/Edge: Wazzadakka/Wild Rider

Tubes/Small skin details

Caledor Sky
Drakenhof Nightshade
Teclis Blue
Lothern Blue

Weapon/Hooves

Incubi Darkness
Drakenhof Nightshade

Teeth

Base: Rakarth Flesh
Shade: Rekland Fleshshade
Layer: Pallid Wych Flesh

Wings

Base: 1st, Abbadon Black, 2nd Khorne Red
Shade: Carroburg Crimson
Edge/Layer: Wazdakka/Wild Rider

Mouth/Toungue

Screamer Pink
Carroburg Crimson
Pink Horror
Emperor’s Children

Eyes
Nuln Oil
Blue Horror

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just make sure whatever method you pick doesn't make you go crazy as you do all your troops.

Also the gun effect looks like a fairly simple blend that you could do with some practice.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Avoiding the dreaded pink with red is always tricky. I've not tried it personally, but I think you could go one of two ways

1. Instead of a 'pure' grey, try using an off-grey instead to lighten the red. Either blue-grey (VMC Wolf Grey) or a greenish grey (VMC Deck Tan). Try also adding in some Olive green to the mix if it's starting to look too pink.
2. Highlight your red normally without using greys, then glaze over the top with a grey mixed with a bit of red ink (GW Carroburg Crimson).

Also your city looks amazing.

Thanks for the words and advice. Im going to put some time into him today

SRM posted:

This board is so loving cool and I wish I was playing on it instead of my kinda whatever Tablescapes board.

Thanks man. I'm really pleased with how it turned out

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

Not a bad idea actually. Guess I'll get both and do a few test gaunts.

This is what I'm going to go for, any comments/criticism welcome.

Skin

Base: Ceramic White
Shade: Drakenhof Nightshade
Layer: Pallid Wich Flesh

Carapace

Base: 1st Abbadon Black, Khorne Red
Shade: Nuln Oil
Layer/Edge: Wazzadakka/Wild Rider

Tubes/Small skin details

Caledor Sky
Drakenhof Nightshade
Teclis Blue
Lothern Blue

Weapon/Hooves

Incubi Darkness
Drakenhof Nightshade

Teeth

Base: Rakarth Flesh
Shade: Rekland Fleshshade
Layer: Pallid Wych Flesh

Wings

Base: 1st, Abbadon Black, 2nd Khorne Red
Shade: Carroburg Crimson
Edge/Layer: Wazdakka/Wild Rider

Mouth/Toungue

Screamer Pink
Carroburg Crimson
Pink Horror
Emperor’s Children

Eyes
Nuln Oil
Blue Horror

The turquoise in the blue mix almost makes me think there's Sotek Green in there, so maybe consider that as one of your base coat options (it's also a great color in general). Coelia Greenshade is also really pretty as an alternative to Drakenhof.

Good luck, post pictures!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Been ages since i posted the first colour test for this but i finally got the airbrushing for the starter fleet done today.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got some Tamiya acrylic paint. I only really have experience with Citadel paint, should Tamiya behave the same?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I think the main difference is that it's alcohol-based. I'm not sure how well water would work to thin it (or how well it'd mix with water-based acrylics). Everything else should be pretty similar though?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

Been ages since i posted the first colour test for this but i finally got the airbrushing for the starter fleet done today.

Those are gonna look lovely

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think the main difference is that it's alcohol-based. I'm not sure how well water would work to thin it (or how well it'd mix with water-based acrylics). Everything else should be pretty similar though?

Water works extremely poorly with Tamiya paints. I ruined several models the first time I started working with it, all because no one had told me that. You can thin it with high percentage alcohol, or with Tamiya's own expensive (but good) thinner. It's pretty easy to work with, once you learn to keep water away from it, but there is a little bit of a learning curve. I don't know if Mango Polo reads this thread, but he might be worth messaging, he is something of an expert of the stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the technique for thinning with paint thinner? When I use water I can just dip brush in paint, wipe paint on pallet, dip brush in water, mix with paint on pallet. But that eventually contaminates the water. Which is no problem with tap water, I just throw out the remainder and get some more, but that seems wasteful if I'm doing it with paint thinner.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I HATE painting marines.

But I love my large idiot sons.

Also I haven't painting in like, nine months or so.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the technique for thinning with paint thinner? When I use water I can just dip brush in paint, wipe paint on pallet, dip brush in water, mix with paint on pallet. But that eventually contaminates the water. Which is no problem with tap water, I just throw out the remainder and get some more, but that seems wasteful if I'm doing it with paint thinner.

Use a dropper bottle.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Don't use a dropper bottle because it will either melt through the bottle or evaporate through the top.

Use a glass eye dropper, but be careful not to get the spirit into the rubber part. I also recommend mineral spirit and not turpentine.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Crossposting my Swooping Hawks

I was thinking of doing this theme with my Scourges as well. Purple & Teal is one of my favorite combos.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Don't use a dropper bottle because it will either melt through the bottle or evaporate through the top.

Use a glass eye dropper, but be careful not to get the spirit into the rubber part. I also recommend mineral spirit and not turpentine.

True if it is like turpentine, turpenoid or odorless mineral spirits, but acrylic thinners are fine with plastic.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

I assume he's not using actual paint thinner for water-based acrylics.

EDIT: I'm a dummy, he's using Tamiya paints.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Use a dropper bottle.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Felime posted:

True if it is like turpentine, turpenoid or odorless mineral spirits, but acrylic thinners are fine with plastic.

Tamiya thinner comes in a plastic bottle, so I'm assuming that should be fine

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need some advice on brushes. When I first got back into this a couple of months ago I got the following:

• Italeri 000
  • Citadel S Layer
  • Citadel Standard

My understanding now is that these brushes are average at best and bad at worst. The 000 has stray hairs and doesn't hold a point, the Standard brush has a fork in it and a stray strand and the S Layer has one stray strand. I've gotten better at looking after them (brush soap, not leaving them on their tips, not letting paint get halfway past the tip etc.). I'm trying to figure out is this something I've done or are these brushes prone to this?

I'm keen to maybe get some better brushes but don't want to waste my money if I'm doing something wrong which might ruin them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tamiya thinner comes in a plastic bottle, so I'm assuming that should be fine

The kind of plastic matters here! Remember, even nail polish remover (acetone) comes in plastic bottles, but it will melt your polystyrene figures. If you're not certain that the plastic is compatible with your thinner, don't use it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Welp, 5 hours later and here's my first gaunt:

Bear in mind this is the first thing I've painted in about 13-14 years.

Some things I learned:

– Make sure the caps are fully down on the washes before you shake them :downs:
– Washes are amazing
– I need to get better brushes, couldn't get a fine enough point to do feathering

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm working on this primaris libertarian, and I've done zandri dust on the interior cloak.

I think I want the outer cloak to be red. I have mephiston and evil sunz scarlet. Would a base of the first and layer of the second look like this? It's what I'm working off of, apart from the blue and (better painting skills, of course)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

I need some advice on brushes. When I first got back into this a couple of months ago I got the following:

• Italeri 000
  • Citadel S Layer
  • Citadel Standard

My understanding now is that these brushes are average at best and bad at worst. The 000 has stray hairs and doesn't hold a point, the Standard brush has a fork in it and a stray strand and the S Layer has one stray strand. I've gotten better at looking after them (brush soap, not leaving them on their tips, not letting paint get halfway past the tip etc.). I'm trying to figure out is this something I've done or are these brushes prone to this?

I'm keen to maybe get some better brushes but don't want to waste my money if I'm doing something wrong which might ruin them.

I went through the same thing with Army Painter brushes, which I assume are around the same level as Citadel. The brushes don't hold a point after one painting session, there's loose strands that drag paint onto unwanted areas when attempting to do delicate work, etc. My friend who's really good swears by the highest "tier" of brushes from Michael's craft store, which I have. They're good brushes as far as not falling apart, but the hairs seem to be not as good at holding paint. Trying to thin the paint often results in a mess as the brush seems to hold onto the water and "let go" of the actual pigment, meaning any kind of watering down paint turns it into a wash. He thinks it's because I'm thinning with water and maybe Lahmian Medium would work better.

I bought a W&N Series 7 #0 and it's really nice compared to any other brush I've tried, but I've only had one session with it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I can echo the sentiment that the Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes are fantastic for the price. I used to regularly chew through the cheapo synthetic sets and just accept that they would fray or get hooked tips or whatever after a couple months. When I finally decided to drop ten or fifteen bucks a piece on three of the W&N brushes I was pretty blown away at how much better they both handled and cleaned up, and still have those same three from a year or so ago and they still hold their shape fantastically. It's absolutely worth it.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The really nice thing about better brushes like the Series 7s and Raphael 8404s of the world is that the bigger brushes (1s and 2s) will hold a point that's fine enough for everything up to and possibly including eyeballs depending on the steadiness of your hand. This means you get to use a brush with a larger capacity for paint, which in turns means that it tends to keep flowing off the brush well for a much longer period of time. I do the overwhelming majority of my work with a #2 Series 7, and only rarely do I reach for the #1 or #0.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Entropy238 posted:

Some things I learned:

– Make sure the caps are fully down on the washes before you shake them :downs:
– Washes are amazing
– I need to get better brushes, couldn't get a fine enough point to do feathering

I learned the hard way that with the first GW pots I've bought since early 2000's. Half of my Agrax Earthshade ended up in the bottom of my art box and I only noticed because something dripped on my sock; there was a trail across the kitchen. They click shut, but you also have to click them shut on the back side. :v:

Also gonna praise the WN 7 series #1, it has such a nice point. I also happened to have a stray Blick Studio Series #4 round that has been great too. It's kolinsky red sable and holds a point so far, been great for anything but fine detail. I'd pick up some smaller sizes of those when I am in need of brushes.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
What’s the best way to thin paint using a wet palette? I tried making a homemade one and I got the impression that the water makes it a) self-thinning and b) maybe too runny at times. I didn’t end up using my water pot at all. Is this normal?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Tardigrade posted:

What’s the best way to thin paint using a wet palette? I tried making a homemade one and I got the impression that the water makes it a) self-thinning and b) maybe too runny at times. I didn’t end up using my water pot at all. Is this normal?

I don't know about a "best" way to thin paint on a wet palette, but one method I've seen is where people put the paint on the palette in blobs, unthinned, with drops of a water-flow improver mix nearby. This lets them mix their paints to the desired consistency on the fly. (I have yet to master this technique, being more in favor of the "let's overdrench the palette paper and let everything flow together into one huge colorless mass by the end of the week" method.)

TheBigAristotle posted:

So I'm working on this primaris libertarian, and I've done zandri dust on the interior cloak.

I think I want the outer cloak to be red. I have mephiston and evil sunz scarlet. Would a base of the first and layer of the second look like this? It's what I'm working off of, apart from the blue and (better painting skills, of course)

I like those shades so far, but I'd suggest that you shade the recesses on the reds with a really contrasting color, like a purple or dark blue. As long as you apply it in thin enough layers, the effect will be pretty striking. (Definitely go for a cool blue or turquoise somewhere else on the model, though, like on the force sword; variety will really make this guy pop.)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I don't know about a "best" way to thin paint on a wet palette, but one method I've seen is where people put the paint on the palette in blobs, unthinned, with drops of a water-flow improver mix nearby. This lets them mix their paints to the desired consistency on the fly. (I have yet to master this technique, being more in favor of the "let's overdrench the palette paper and let everything flow together into one huge colorless mass by the end of the week" method.)

I like those shades so far, but I'd suggest that you shade the recesses on the reds with a really contrasting color, like a purple or dark blue. As long as you apply it in thin enough layers, the effect will be pretty striking. (Definitely go for a cool blue or turquoise somewhere else on the model, though, like on the force sword; variety will really make this guy pop.)

I was thinking about a green on the blade, something really bright, I see a lot of blues on that sword in photos. Yay or nay? (I have no sense for aesthetics)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tardigrade posted:

You might be using too much water in the pallete. It shouldn't appear to be watering down the paint, just keeping it from drying out. Are you using parchment paper or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Booyah- posted:

You might be using too much water in the pallete. It shouldn't appear to be watering down the paint, just keeping it from drying out. Are you using parchment paper or something else?

Reynolds Parchment paper, it says so on the box. Standard cooking issue. I do think I might be putting too much water then.