Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
If you wanted backstory on any of these party members you obviously should have watched the five episode prequel anime Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV. :colbert:

I actually don't know anything about him either so here's what the wiki says: Gladio is part of the royal guard and Noctis' personal protector/friend. He taught Noctis how to fight and while they didn't like each other at first, poo poo happened and then they did. The scar on Gladio's face is from protecting Noctis from a drunk. His dad protected the king up until he was killed and his little sister has a crush on Noctis. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just to tell you that Radio that was interrupted was saying that Ravus. (Luna's brother and vaguely menacing guy.) Was being executed for what happened with Leviathan. Aka a guy built up as a notable villain is being killed offscreen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Kingsglaive cannibalizing the game is a massive issue.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I actually felt bad for poor Ignis. Getting dragged into a mine full of monsters in the rain and then getting ditched. Rocks are slick when wet. Even great traction hiking boots can slip on wet rock. gently caress you Noctis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean if the goon squad was in any way likeable or interesting and the plot wasn't a complete loving mess the Ignis being blinded and group cohesion being torn apart thing might actually be a powerful moment both in story and gameplay. But instead Ignis got blinded off-screen with no explanation for the sake of cheap drama and nobody actually cares enough about these goobers to get invested in their slapfight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gladiolus would have to have a personality beyond 'cup noodles' and 'hates undershirts' to have him getting angry and strained have any impact.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's why he's so mad, you're out of cup noodles.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Ignis used to do all the shopping. :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's pretty funny when you think about it. The glue that kept this idiot boyband together wasn't the Prince's charisma or leadership or anything, he's exactly as much of a mopey jerk as usual. It was the one butler who actually knew how to cook and drive. With him gone it's all instantly gone to poo poo.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just to tell you that Radio that was interrupted was saying that Ravus. (Luna's brother and vaguely menacing guy.) Was being executed for what happened with Leviathan. Aka a guy built up as a notable villain is being killed offscreen.

He died as he lived. :colbert:

Incidentally, was he the guy with the sword he never used that was definitely not the missing one from a king's tomb? It's terribly difficult to keep all these people straight when they get about two minutes of screentime over thirty-odd hours.

Also, the cold can of corned beef hash or whatever is great. Just in case you didn't realize that everyone is super loving sad and miserable, you get to sit in the rain eating that. It's doubly great, since thanks to that trek through a mine that someone buried a king in, for some goddamn reason, so are you! Masterful writing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

It's pretty funny when you think about it. The glue that kept this idiot boyband together wasn't the Prince's charisma or leadership or anything, he's exactly as much of a mopey jerk as usual. It was the one butler who actually knew how to cook and drive. With him gone it's all instantly gone to poo poo.

I mean, Ignis clearly is the brains of the operation (even though that's an extremely low bar to cross), and looking at the other three goobers they really, really need someone who's not terminally stupid running the show.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that this didn't happen either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you think Cup Noodle mandated that their product must always be available to consume?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that this didn't happen either.

Any other game I'd agree but honestly at this point I'll be surprised if something important actually happens onscreen in this game.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Any other game I'd agree but honestly at this point I'll be surprised if something important actually happens onscreen in this game.

That's true. Wit hthe way it's going I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the game will consist of mucking around in various dumps searching for some royal rear end in a top hat's grave and when they finally get to the Empire there'll be a radio snippet mentioning that the evil emperor choked to death on a fishbone and the credits roll.

The end! No moral.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
It's apparently Ignis's birthday. I know this because I have a couple of friends who adore this game for some incomprehensible reason and there's fanart all over my Tumblr feed today.

When I saw that mystery food can all I could think of was Noctis hanging out in the wilderness eating literal dog chow like in Mad Max. It's basically the same thing: your girlfriend's dead and now you just wander around aimlessly taking on the occasional bullshit quest, everyone is wearing really stupid clothes, you've got a trusty canine buddy and your most precious possession is your car, which is also wearing really stupid clothes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Incidentally, was he the guy with the sword he never used that was definitely not the missing one from a king's tomb?

That's not the sword from the tomb, that's just Noct's dad's sword. The stolen sword is in the fuckpit. I don't think they stepped foot in the fuckpit, and I'm not about to blame them for not dealing with that shithole.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Night10194 posted:

(seriously, is there anything on who Gladiolus actually is)

he has a sister who wants to gently caress one of his friends and who another one of his friends lusts over

he hates sleeves

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I just want Ignis to snap, call the rest of the band loving children and then tell them that babysitting them was the biggest mistake of his life.

That would tie the game together for me.

Insomnia is better off burning than being ruled by these idiots.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Honestly, showing royalty as spoiled pathetic manchildren who don''t care about anything expect themselves is the only part of this game they got right.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

I mean if the goon squad was in any way likeable or interesting and the plot wasn't a complete loving mess the Ignis being blinded and group cohesion being torn apart thing might actually be a powerful moment both in story and gameplay. But instead Ignis got blinded off-screen with no explanation for the sake of cheap drama and nobody actually cares enough about these goobers to get invested in their slapfight.

It's weird to think that Resident Evil had more potent healing than Final Fantasy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Honestly, showing royalty as spoiled pathetic manchildren who don''t care about anything expect themselves is the only part of this game they got right.

"The Aristocrats!"

Roll credits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Give me a FF game where you play as Charles II of Spain and it's just 50 hours of drooling and making GBS threads your pants while Gladio yells at you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It would have made more sense to blind prompto, the photographer. Have the bodyguard, the butler and the friend, blind the friend because Noctis should never have dragged him along on this dumb quest. Have gladiolus further resent you for making him have to look after a blind idiot instead of a sighted one.

Then they would even have an in universe explanation for future poo poo photos.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that you need to listen to the radio and read newspapers to understand what's going on in this game sure is embarrassing.

I've been thinking about it, and problems like these aren't just a cut content issue, it's an issue with Noctis being a barely active participant in his own story. Ever since the plan to visit Luna went to poo poo, all Noctis has really done is evade capture, collect plot tokens, and do what he's told. Even FFX did a "travel the world in order to prepare for your big moment" plot better than this, because in that game the party at least participated in every story beat.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

FeyerbrandX posted:

That's not the sword from the tomb, that's just Noct's dad's sword. The stolen sword is in the fuckpit. I don't think they stepped foot in the fuckpit, and I'm not about to blame them for not dealing with that shithole.

Ah, an entirely different dead king's sword. It's probably better, too, since holding it probably doesn't slowly kill you.

Kaasen posted:

The fact that you need to listen to the radio and read newspapers to understand what's going on in this game sure is embarrassing.

But that's kinda a cool idea. You know, if it didn't mean standing around in a diner listening to a radio report which doesn't get logged anywhere. Like, that's the poo poo that should be on the radio in the car. GTA games manage to do this just fine, and the newspapers in LA Noire (and Red Dead Redemption) were a good addition to the story. Of course, in none of those games is it actually essential to read the paper, it just adds to what you already know.

But hey, at least this game doesn't have a datalog :v: That's the thing that people hated about FF13, surely.

quote:

I've been thinking about it, and problems like these aren't just a cut content issue, it's an issue with Noctis being a barely active participant in his own story. Ever since the plan to visit Luna went to poo poo, all Noctis has really done is evade capture, collect plot tokens, and do what he's told. Even FFX did a "travel the world in order to prepare for your big moment" plot better than this, because in that game the party at least participated in every story beat.

You know, normally I like games where you're just kinda doing your own thing and maybe you incidentally save the world from something horrible. I think the problem here is that while you are 100% just dicking around and doing your own thing, you're the goddamn prince and your story is kinda meant to be all the flashy heroic poo poo. And I'm sure the game'll get to that, but that sort of thing is supposed to be the 70%, not the part where you wander around the desert collecting weapons or info.

It's like someone threw a generic final fantasy plot onto morrowwind or an mmo or something where you're encouraged to just gently caress around and not worry about the plot. Except nobody told the writers, so they're acting as if you haven't spent 20 hours collecting carrots and dogtags and painting chocobos or have at any point felt some sort of pressure to hurry the hell up with the story. The entire game's sense of time scale is utter dogshit.

f.e.: Speaking of newspapers, I get that Luna was revealed to be alive a while ago, but that newspaper article didn't seem to give half a gently caress that the supposedly long-dead prince was alive and zweefighting a water dragon. I suppose the only reason you're not constantly being harassed by dropships is that the empire doesn't want to have them all over their own country, and also "surely that not dead enough idiot prince wouldn't come here."

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 7, 2018

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATES :frogsiren:

Episode 51: Bonus Gruel

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this episode is particularly brown and for that i apologize

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It would be fitting if Noctis just fell into the abyss and the game corrupted your save or something.

Jesus they just can't lay off Noctis and keep blaming and guilt tripping him over Ignis. Something that was not his fault in any conceivable way.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2018

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wasn't Gladio bitching on the train about not going to Tenebrae immediately? Why is he now bitching about doing anything but going there immediately? Why is the dumb plot suddenly important to the characters when the game spent the first thirty hours emphasizing having fun bro camp outs while your kingdom got taken over? It's like they're all being written as spoiled, petulant idiots, but it also doesn't seem self-aware enough to notice it's happening. :argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
King Noctis should probably do something about that rebellious servant. Something terminal.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Man I was really hoping Ignis was just going to light Noctis and Gladiolus the gently caress up for being douchebags to each other, this game can't do ANYTHING in a satisfying way :mad:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He didn't emphasise the "bloody" properly at all. Barely sounded annoyed at all.

He should have let his RP accent slip into a broad Glaswegian and told them to get tae gently caress and sort their poo poo before they turn from whinging cunts into dead cunts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Jesus they just can't lay off Noctis and keep blaming and guilt tripping him over Ignis. Something that was not his fault in any conceivable way.

I get the feeling there must be a deleted scene where Noctis gets Ignis injured by screwing up somehow. Then it'd explain why everyone's all cold toward him, and why Gladiolus is suddenly all concerned about Noctis taking his job seriously, and why it seems to be up to Ignis to forgive him.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I get the feeling there must be a deleted scene where Noctis gets Ignis injured by screwing up somehow. Then it'd explain why everyone's all cold toward him, and why Gladiolus is suddenly all concerned about Noctis taking his job seriously, and why it seems to be up to Ignis to forgive him.

They decided they could charge for it and called it Episode Ignis.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Congrats, you all now have cancer because you hosed around in evaporation ponds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Picnic Princess posted:

Congrats, you all now have cancer because you hosed around in evaporation ponds Ignis lit up a Malboro.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

The Episode Ignis DLC shows what exactly happened to him. But Gladio being an rear end about it is just him being like "God how can be so upset about your stupid dead fiance, when our mutual best friend Ignis is BLIND"

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I hope Ignis' dlc is just Noctis having blinded Ignis by tossing a chicken nugget at his eyes. Probably because Ignis suggested Noctis eat some better food after binging nothing but nuggets for the past two weeks.

Otherwise I'm not sure how Noctis is directly responsible for Ignis being blind. At least we are reaching some sort of conclusion soon, so yay?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 10, 2018

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Gruckles posted:

But Gladio being an rear end about it is just him being like "God how can be so upset about your stupid dead fiance, when our mutual best friend Ignis is BLIND"

This makes a lot more sense when you realize that the characters are just faces and names for people to write homoerotic fanfiction about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was a scene when the first Titan in the giant ditch woke up where Noctis was freaking out and Gladio took him aside and was all "Look we're all in over our heads and scared but you're loving king and you need to keep it together" which was the closest thing to actual character depth we got until recently. But where that came off as something of an actually humanizing moment, here it just comes off as Gladio being an rear end in a top hat. You guys even picked the good option and Gladio still basically spit in Noctis' face for no reason.

This whole thing definitely feels like it was supposed to be Noctis' direct fault - Ignis' blinding included - as others have pointed out. That it isn't makes this whole segment really awkward.

• Locked thread