Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

This is super annoying. Even if other great people can't die, admirals and generals should be able to. A Mapuche general kept coming and loving me up from a spawn point 6 tiles away.

Conquer the spawn point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think it would be better if you could kill Great Generals and Admirals, but at least they no longer stack. That was kind of degenerate in multiplayer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The expansion makes the game a lot better.

I also like the way the colours become more vibrant during a golden age. Apparently they get dark during a dark age as well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

I think it would be better if you could kill Great Generals and Admirals, but at least they no longer stack. That was kind of degenerate in multiplayer.

Agreed. A nice alternative would be force a ransom for a captured Great General/Admiral, if they can't afford the ransom, the general dies.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Agreed. A nice alternative would be force a ransom for a captured Great General/Admiral, if they can't afford the ransom, the general dies.

I'd say adding that for any great person would be cool. I never really liked that they can't die and you can just toss them around the map like nothing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Do Alexander's eurekas and inspirations from conquering cities count as actual eurekas and inspirations for purposes of age dedications? Because if so, I just realized what a giant powerhouse he's going to be now that he gets a guaranteed golden age directly after he starts his world conquest.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ha, I like that idea. This already happens with spies, so it makes sense to extend it to great people

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So is Rise and Fall worth the $30 or just wait til it goes on sale?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

So is Rise and Fall worth the $30 or just wait til it goes on sale?

Maybe wait a couple of weeks for people to burn out on it or not before asking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Killing them is a quick and easy solution (in fact I bet you could mod it in easily with a few lines of code), but I really like the idea of ransoming them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I would say, if you enjoy the game without and still like to play it, then sure, why not.

If you're too poor, then don't spend your money on games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to answer because it depends on if you think the new features and nations sound interesting to you. If you're asking whether it's done competently I would say yes (in my limited play time).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah. If you like Civ VI already, then it's more stuff for it and you'll like this too probably. Only reason to delay here is if you only play MP and the people you play with aren't going to get R&F for whatever reason, in which case you won't be using it.

If you hate VI, then this probably won't fix what you hate about it.

If you're waiting to be convinced on VI or have some problems but aren't completely sold yet, well, then it depends on what your issues are. If you dislike ICS, forward settling, etc. the new Loyalty mechanic puts up some serious impediments to that. The new Era mechanic makes all your choices even more meaningful, the governors add some depth too, and so on. It expands on the game in some interesting ways.

On the other hand, if you hate the AI, this doesn't fix that much. UI's been improved a little but it's mostly the same too. It doesn't change it into a fundamentally different game or anything. And other civs will still think you're a warmonger if you start taking cities and wipe out an enemy civ in a "defensive" war, though according to some V players I've seen recently that's a thing there too, so. Not sure what all the complaining about there was for.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

General Morden posted:

is there a not dead discord or steam group for this game yet

no

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I think the Korean district is bugged to get -1 science if it's placed near the capital. (Unless I'm missing something.)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Megazver posted:

So I think the Korean district is bugged to get -1 science if it's placed near the capital. (Unless I'm missing something.)

The capital is a district

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The city center is a district for the purpose of adjacency bonuses (and, in this case, penalties), yes.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

markus_cz posted:

:siren: Attention PBEM crowd :siren:

I'm looking for a replacement for myself for 3 PBEM games (even separately). I'm leaving for a vacation for 3 weeks and I won't be able to play my drat turns. So if there's anyone who'd be interested in hopping into ongoing games, I'll be happy to swap with you. Depending on how you like the games, I might either take them back after 3 weeks or leave them to you (and start new ones), I don't really have preference.

Anyway, what I'm offering:

- Winter Goon Game. Medieval era. Me playing Indonesia (2nd place). Ulvino is in the lead as Russia. Largely a peaceful game, sans some border skirmishes with my Nubian neighbour. I'd like to build and settle some islands.

Hi thread, Markus may have already left, and I've got charge of the Winter game. We are still needing a replacement to take his spot. If you're interested, quote me / poke me on steam (onesixty2) and I can get the PYDT admin to swap you in his place.

I do have a friend who would be available to take it if we needed a sixth, but would rather keep it open for the thread as we initially pooled from here. I'll give it until Sunday for someone to reply and join up. Note that this is running pre-Rise & Fall.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Man, I feel like they really got the dark/golden ages right. Except for one, I've felt like I've barely gotten into a golden age by the skin of my teeth.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

Killing them is a quick and easy solution (in fact I bet you could mod it in easily with a few lines of code), but I really like the idea of ransoming them.

It also has a precedent from Civ1 and the barbarian diplomats, capturing them yielded 200 gold.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You can apparently also lose your capital to rebellion, even if it is your only city. It just happened to Persia on a very crowded TSL Earth map and now they're simply out of the game.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
So, ran 2 games or so.

Biggest changes:

Early mid game city states are no joke. Was in a war of me (Korea) + the city state of Antiochea vs Makedon and Khmer, Khmer had the citystate of Yerevan as an ally. I was mostly thinking of waiting until Alex takes Antiochea (very close to him) in order to liberate it for war mongering reduction but:

Well, Antiochea razed 3 out of 4 Mazedonian settlements, and would have taken the Mazedonian capital if city states could take capitals.
I overran Khmer like a (7 cities, zero walls), but well, Yerevan nearly took a size 8 city from me because they showed up with 7 Swordsmen, 3 Archers and some pults. I barely fought that off (it was on the other side of my empire compared to where my army was, and I had recently gotten Xbows, who were to expensive to quickbuy), the defense governeur was a decent help there.

I suffered around 5-6 casulties this war, all but one from Yerevan.

Also, Alex demands tribute if even if he is down to 1 city with no health in return for peace. His Cap is rather nice, so maybe I will just take the warmonger penalty.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

John F Bennett posted:

You can apparently also lose your capital to rebellion, even if it is your only city. It just happened to Persia on a very crowded TSL Earth map and now they're simply out of the game.

This is the best part of the expansion. Amanitore declared war on me in the ancient era and had enough Pitati archers to take my forward settled city, which I only barely managed to take back. I settled a couple of cities on her borders and admittedly took her capital the next time she declared war, but I've had a steady stream of Nubian cities flipping to team Mapuche. She's down to one last city on the rear end end of the continent, surrounded by Nubians flying a happier banner.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Got an emergency I literally could not lose. I know that religion isn't the way to go with Korea but when your first goody hut is a relic...well excuse me have you heard the good word? Anyways, i get my religion up and running and pop an Apostle to evangelize...right before my neighbor Lautaro that I already sent a missionary to founds his religion (the last one on this game). Well I've got this convenient Apostle right next door, why don't I just nip that in the bud?

Pop goes the holy city, but he's got his own Apostle so he resets it and BAM! EMERGENCY! Only he's used up his only apostle, he lost his holy city...and my Apostle still has a charge on it with Translator for 3x strength. Why yes game, I will take 1,200 gold in 30 turns.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Same sort of thing just happened to me.

Alexander took a city state and then there was an emergency to liberate it. I was the only participant.
Ten turns later, the city state automatically revolted back to a free state which counted as well.

So I received 3600 gold + 2 gold/turn per envoy for doing absolutely nothing.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I am having trouble conducting large scale invasion with the loyalty system. The fact that I'm in a dark age certainly doesn't help.
Basicaly, city that I conquer will revolt in a handful of turn, which is quite annoying when I'm trying to wipe the Zulu off my continent...
Is razing every city the only option ?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Not sure how it would do in a Dark Age, I imagine that would be hard.

Other than that, the simple things would be to conquer stuff that is... well, not in the middle of an empire for example, try and focus on cities that are closer to your own borders, run the policy card that gives you loyalty when you have a unit garrisoned in the city, get a monument in any cities you take as soon as possible, and finally be ready to move your governors up to the front. Especially Amani could be very useful I imagine with her AoE loyalty boosting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How important is it that you keep the cities? Could you turn the Zulu into a federation of Free Cities if you conquered it fast enough?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I got an emergency where Montezuma took Delhi, and nobody except me accepted the emergency, including Gandhi, who owned the taken city and was already at war with Monty. Upon accepting the Emergency, Gandhi denounced me for warmongering. Gandhi ended up taking the city back himself, and I used my 2600 gold to buy infinite war-carts and destroy Montezuma. I then turned on, and destroyed Gandhi for denouncing me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I got an emergency where Montezuma took Delhi, and nobody except me accepted the emergency, including Gandhi, who owned the taken city and was already at war with Monty. Upon accepting the Emergency, Gandhi denounced me for warmongering. Gandhi ended up taking the city back himself, and I used my 2600 gold to buy infinite war-carts and destroy Montezuma. I then turned on, and destroyed Gandhi for denouncing me.

The expansion we deserve for patronizing this game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

make all of this the thread title please

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

John F Bennett posted:

Same sort of thing just happened to me.

Alexander took a city state and then there was an emergency to liberate it. I was the only participant.
Ten turns later, the city state automatically revolted back to a free state which counted as well.

So I received 3600 gold + 2 gold/turn per envoy for doing absolutely nothing.

This happened to me except the two other CS I was allied with rolled the city by themselves. I thought I was in trouble but welp.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
They keep putting the deluxe edition on sale and never the individual DLCs, which is feeling kind of like a gigantic gently caress you to people who only bought the base game. If I didn't have the game already the DLC Civs would be just £10 more than the base game, for all of them, but as it is my choices are £31 for all the DLCs or £34 for the entire deluxe edition including a base game I don't need. I'd hoped they'd put a bundle out with the DLCs+expac, but no apparently not. What the actual gently caress Firaxis.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MarquiseMindfang posted:

They keep putting the deluxe edition on sale and never the individual DLCs, which is feeling kind of like a gigantic gently caress you to people who only bought the base game. If I didn't have the game already the DLC Civs would be just £10 more than the base game, for all of them, but as it is my choices are £31 for all the DLCs or £34 for the entire deluxe edition including a base game I don't need. I'd hoped they'd put a bundle out with the DLCs+expac, but no apparently not. What the actual gently caress Firaxis.

It's called smart business practices. People who own the base game will either not like it and and stop playing, or like it and are a shoe-in for additional gouging. "Season passes" are sold as pre-ordering, not usually as a break for stingy cunts. The game is going to have to be very old (or selling quite poorly) before you see a "Gold" or "GOTY" edition that's literally everything bundled together for twenty bucks.

Don't buy the base game if you're ever looking for value.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah, it is utter bullshit. I'm in the exact same situation and I don't see how this is considered acceptable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I grabbed the dlcs from GreenmanGaming as they are 25% right now and they have a coupon code to take another 20% off your total purchase. Used that to get them plus Rise for forty.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Paradox does similar, though I do rarely see old old DLC at a minor discount.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

uh, paradox is real good about selling all their old DLCs at a discount whenever a new one for the same game comes out

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Brother Entropy posted:

uh, paradox is real good about selling all their old DLCs at a discount whenever a new one for the same game comes out

Yeah, their DLC is on sale quite often around the time when new DLC arrives, especially big ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I would suspect if the dlc civs aren't put on sale during the next steam sale, they'll never be. The GMG sale is a good deal- $20-25 for all the released ones. The only one I personally don't really care about is the Viking one because I never play scenarios, but it's kind of annoying that the included natural wonders won't show up without it.