Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

violent sex idiot posted:

please note that royal mallqui cant actually make 4 supayas a turn with a huaca headdress. in dom4 when nazca was added to the game they could do that but somehow it was decided that this was too strong so instead they summon 3 at a time with a huaca headdress and they just never changed the tooltip.

So does the prophet make 4 then? I noticed my prophet was set to make one more than the rest
Also yeah I guess that makes sense, it was already op

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

:siren: Patch time! :siren:

quote:

This update offers performance improvements for huge games, new spells, more modding commands as well as a few new features and bug fixes. One of the more noticeable new features is that the map will now be drawn as snowy during winter if you don't know the actual temperature of the province (likely a better guess).

General
New unit: Orphic Mystic
New spells: Bind Keres, Curse Tablet & Seith Curse
Unknown map parts shown as snowy during winter
Ctrl+t to setup army for selected commanders only
Better performance in army setup for very large armies
Lightning bolts weren't drawn when they hit an empty square
Fix for battle with 10000 soulless hanging the game
Random map creation multithreaded
Winter overlay didn't work properly for very large maps
Cataclysm shown in Thrones of Ascension box
Cataclysm setting shown among other game settings
Immortals try to never rout
Out of ammo archers didn't attack
Sound effects slowdown during time stop
Units always face proper direction when striking
Red coloring of orders now take Power of the Spheres into account
Turn number shown in season popup
Improved stat info
AI item distribution improvements
Fire shield never works under water
Mercenary bidding box supports shift for +/- 10
Same start of message for castle battles regardless of defender/attacker win
Curses shown on commander tokens
Curses show when holding Tab on army setup screen
Fix for unique monsters & Lord of the Hunt aging every turn
Pluralization fix
Stat fixes and tweaks
Typos fixed

Modding
Using default flag with different color didn't always work
Spell modding: #friendlyench, #hiddenench, #onlycoastsrc,
Spell modding: #nocastmindless, #spellreqfly, #onlymnr
Spell modding: #polygetmagic, #nextingeo
Nation modding: #aicheapholy, #homefort, #buildfort
Nation modding: #builduwfort, #buildcoastfort, #nationinc, #aiholyranged
Nation modding: #halfdeathinc, #halfdeathpop, #noundeadgods, #domdeathsense
Nation modding: #uwallmult, #uwallcom, #recallgod, #forestlabcost
Nation modding: #foresttemplecost, #fortunrest, #riverstart
Event modding: req_nomnr, req_code & req_anycode can be used multiple times
Event modding: #inccorpses

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Hey, cool writeup! I was Bandar Log in that game - a minor detail was that I didn't actually go to war with Xibalba - too busy getting molested by Ulm and my overoptimistic scripting.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Fix for battle with 10000 soulless hanging the game

Finally removed Ermor eh?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

quote:

Turn number shown in season popup

:vince:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quote:

Mercenary bidding box supports shift for +/- 10

Finally!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

So does the prophet make 4 then? I noticed my prophet was set to make one more than the rest
Also yeah I guess that makes sense, it was already op

It was so OP, I played a blitz game where everyone allied to attack me after finding that I had accumulated about 1,400 Water 9 bless supayas in my capital.

Sadly I forgot about mass fire fend and so sufficient magma children actually killed them all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So what do people think of the Cataclysm setting? I just encountered it for the first time in holy war crimes game and I .... hate it. To be far it was set to trigger on turn 50(?!), so the game wasn't nearly settled and it started happening right as I was making exciting war plans.

Still, I found it really jarring how it changed the dynamics of the game, and I can't imagine I'll ever set it to trigger at any turn under 100 in any of my games, if I even use it at all.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

So what do people think of the Cataclysm setting? I just encountered it for the first time in holy war crimes game and I .... hate it. To be far it was set to trigger on turn 50(?!), so the game wasn't nearly settled and it started happening right as I was making exciting war plans.

Still, I found it really jarring how it changed the dynamics of the game, and I can't imagine I'll ever set it to trigger at any turn under 100 in any of my games, if I even use it at all.

Turn 69 is the correct setting, unless you actually enjoy the ultra late slog in which case you can just leave it off or move it to 100.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll let you know if I'm still alive in lmao on two years. I hadn't even realized it was a cataclysm game. :v:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

How are u posted:

So what do people think of the Cataclysm setting?

Honestly, 50 isn't enough time. Even had I not hosed up and cast the wrong global, I'd only have had maybe a year to flood the world with statues. I'd have had to go hard into magic scales to have time to enjoy the fruits of my research. There's been a lot of c69 games for the low hanging sex number joke, but its actually works well from a "getting meaningful use of research" perspective without drawing things out.

Cataclysm really seems to call for a change in how players do war however. There is no time for foreverwars into the deep late game that end with you and a field of AIs on turn 120. If you can't manage your objective in a year or two, sue for peace and move on. All you'll achieve in foreverwar is playing kingmaker and giving your throne to a neighbor with the hopes that they win to spite the other guy (not that Absum needed it in the end but spite was all I had left on T49).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Man, I've been trying, but sprite art is hard. :smith:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Added a clustering algorithm to the ice, will probably let it sit in this form and move on to another feature:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Looks really nice!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, maybe not quite done. Added coastal bias to the clustering:

e: Couple more changes to density and avoiding sea province borders:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 10, 2018

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Behold, my friends:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Poor Little Troll King

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pangea is perma-banned from all my future games good loving christ :negative:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

Pangea is perma-banned from all my future games good loving christ :negative:

That's entirely self inflicted. One does not just walk into dark skies Pangaea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's entirely self inflicted. One does not just walk into dark skies Pangaea.

Oh that's not even me. I had the good sense to go AI after I got steamrolled by a 700+ flying Centaur doomstack. Fun new thing I learned: apparently mass regeneration is enough to negate Plague! Fun!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No, that's me in the mo money game. I was super bored just spamming immortal mages. Either pan kills me or I get a winning position for the game

(Pan is totally going to kill me, especially as I just staled, due to travel, I think)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Slaan posted:

(Pan is totally going to kill me, especially as I just staled, due to travel, I think)

Oooooh yea

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So what are some fun things LA Man can do if he has all of his research goals met, and all of his mages, plus 4 forts worth of sages, are ready to march to war and be turned into magical batteries?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Donkringel posted:

So what are some fun things LA Man can do if he has all of his research goals met, and all of his mages, plus 4 forts worth of sages, are ready to march to war and be turned into magical batteries?

Get some A3 masters, give them boosters to bring them to A6, summon storm power/power of the spheres to A8, get a communion with 16+ slaves to bring them to A12. Start casting Living Clouds each cast gives you 12 air elementals, for 20 gems you can get 120 air elementals. Buff the elementals with protection, regeneration, luck.

Once the elementals are out (or maybe before?) cast some shimmering fields, with A12 casters that is an aoe 50 squares 16 AN damage spell, anything without lightning resistance will be decimated.

If you want to have some distractions, get a master to cast phantasmal army a few times, each cast will give you 65 phantasmal warriors.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Donkringel posted:

Cast fog warriors so you don't get everything killed by rain of stones

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
LA Man lategame tips

- You have really nice strategic mobility for everything other than priests, b/c you can quite easily drop attack enemy provinces you know have labs with cloud trapping Magisters Arcane and follow up with very large armies using Gateway (you can forge a whip of command with any N commander to help with this). Your ability to move massive armies quickly between your own labs is also useful for defending your thrones, which makes your lategame pretty secure if you've built up any kind of momentum.

- You have pretty much every buff path other than Water at your disposal so you can improve your (already pretty solid) troops quite easily. Daughters of Avalon from the event chain/indep Lizard Shamans/Jade Zons/Woodhenge Druids will fatigue your normal slaves pretty hard if you use them to cast Nature buffs in a communion, so make sure to limit the number of them on top, because when fatigue starts to bite, even your normal FAES casting from other Magisters Arcane will damage your slaves pretty quickly. Forging off-path mages some kind of ranged weapon they can shoot after buffing might be a plan. A Just Man's Cross will tie up a mage for over 20 turns as a cheap constr-2 item, for example.

- Access to W3 is not something you can rely on for H3 priests, so your endgame tends to be a bit of a grind in terms of taking thrones. You have W access primarily through randoms on death summons like the Bean Sidhe (25% chance, no empower required, always a useful assassin) or the Spectral Mage (43% chance, but you need to empower + make a stick on a D1 judge for 40 gems), and you'll need to empower and forge the constr 6 water ring to get to 3 on a W1 commander, as well as taking an UW province (luckily Water gems are normally pretty common and people tend to sell them cheaply). You do have reasonably good access to at least 2 of the 3 Constr 8 holy boosters, but they aren't a gimme.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm at a good spot to tinker with some high level spells in a single player game, where are saves located so I can duplicate it?

e:vvv thank you!

Chakan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 14, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
appdata/roaming/savedgames

Ramc
May 4, 2008

also please concede

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I shall fight to the end

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Slaan posted:

I shall fight to the end

This is the only way to play. Don't forget to pillagez drop bad globals and script horror marks.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

This is the only way to play. Don't forget to pillagez drop bad globals and script horror marks.

Good news Astral Corruption is up already.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I tried to win a newbie game as Ry'leh but failed

well that's my story

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

boho posted:

I tried to win a game as Ry'leh but failed

well that's my story
Fixed for accuracy

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I won a game!

I think this is, like, my 3rd victory in -any- Dominions game, so seeing Victory is a nice treat.

The very first Dominions 5 game I ever signed up to play, to be specific. I'm as surprised as you are, because I won it as Very Bad Nation Yomi! This wasn't due to any real skill on my part, but rather a lot of luck, fortune, and a start position that didn't plop me next to an early rush nation.

Let's talk briefly about why Yomi is a poo poo faction!

Yomi was changed in the Dominions 4 -> 5 transition, and is now a freespawn nation. That is to say that you can't recruit your namesake Japanese-Demon troops (Oni), they can spawn automatically in any province that hold one of your Temples. Temple provinces with Hot or Cold scales can sometimes spawn slightly better Oni, and Temple provinces that are Mountains or Highlands have a chance to spawn your most elite Oni warriors.

Any province with a Temple.

Hot and Cold provinces with Temples (low spawn rate).

Mountain provinces with Temples (low spawn rate).

So there's your bread & butter troops. They're alright in combat, they have a ghostly second-shape and Chaos Power. The elite ones are actually fairly robust. The problems, though, are that every single one of them innately causes some amount of Unrest. The tiny ones just cause 0.1 points, but the elite guys cause 0.5. This adds up fast. Your templed provinces, including forts obviously, will never sit at zero unrest, and will often balloon above 100 unrest just from the troops hanging around doing nothing.

This is compounded by the fact that you'll be taking Turmoil 3 scales by default, to benefit all of your Chaos Power Oni troops. On top of that, Yomi gets a -25% income malus just loving Because! This all leads to you being constantly broke. Hardly having money to build labs, temples, and recruit your best cap-only mages. It loving sucks. IN ADDITION, Yomi can only build Palisade forts, so every one of your research mages outside of your capitol takes 2 turns to recruit. If you can even afford to hire them.

Oh, and all of your Oni are Gluttons, so any non-demon troops you put into your big armies will probably start starving and picking up diseases immediately. This includes the sacred Tengu you may have thought you wanted to summon! Also, they're all loving Undisciplined, so you can't even give them battlefield commands!

Yomi, an impoverished nation with awful research and a single gimmick.

Actually, Yomi has one real baller thing going for it: Shikome!

Real Good poo poo.

Shikome are pretty awesome, and Yomi is the only faction in the game that has access to them. Neither Shinuyama nor Jomon, Yomi's MA and LA successor nations, get Shikome. They're sacred, have some solid elemental resistance, two magical attacks that do additional paralyze damage against Undead, and Berserk +4. They're summoned 8 Shikome for 8 Death gems, which is a real bargain if you can afford the D income. There are some special, Sacred Oni that spawn painfully rarely (I think by the time this game ended on turn 98 I accumulated <50 of them total). Shikome are your real sacreds, and they rule.

So, all of that said, what glorious Pretender God did I choose to lead my nation?

:ughh:

I must have designed A Brooding Anime in some drunk haze, because the Bless is dogshit. To be fair, I didn't even realize that Shikome existed when I designed the god, but the bless is still awful for whatever purpose I may have had in mind. We have Turmoil 3 because you have to, Growth 3 to attempt to boost income, and Luck 3 because Luck 3 + Turmoil 3 was a classic Dominions 4 combo and I expected it to work about the same here. It doesn't. Somebody else more knowledgeable than me can go into why Luck 3 sucks now, but just know that its not nearly as good as it was in Dom4. We also have Production 2 which helps with some income but I really wish I'd have taken Magic 2 instead, because having gently caress-all research was the monkey on my back the entire game.

Luck may suck compared to Dominions 4, but when it hits it can still hit hard. We picked this up in an event in year 2, and it was invaluable for breaking into paths and helping summon things throughout the game.

Anime does, however, have Fire 6, which is enough to be able to cast one of Yomi's national spells when she breaks free:

Spoiler Alert: It doesn't increase the spawn rate of your "good" Oni in any tangible way as far as I could tell. Just the shittiest ones.

Let's start the game!

Here's our start. We neighbor a Throne, which could be great, and are surrounded by Mountains, which will be useful to Temple for freespawn later (I didn't know this at the time).

Off to our West is Tien'Chi. Note that this is not a full wrap-around map, so Tien is kind of stuck for directions to expand.

To our East is Marverni, another gimmicky freespawn nation.

The big problem with Yomi's early game is that, unless you took an awake expander Pretender, you're dependent upon your freespawn to build your expansion armies. In my experience the Ko-Oni freespawn were either Great or Atrocious in battle. Sometimes they would win flawlessly, and sometimes they'd all be massacred. I imagine that this had something to do with how much Turmoil was in the targeted province, but I was too stupid to think about that for a long while. You can see how anemic our expansion is going:

Nothing gets me pumped like smashing into indies and losing multiple turns in a row.

In the Southern end of the world, which we're unaware of, Xibalba, Vanheim, Helheim, Fomoria, and Ur are all stuck together in a close quarters knife fight.

By the time we finish expansion we look something like this. We got really lucky in that neither Marverni nor Tien'Chi expanded aggressively into us from the beginning.

During expansion we did bump into one of Tien'Chi's armies, and we discovered that they were running a really nasty Fear Bless for their Warriors of the Five Elements.

Our Ko-Oni have poo poo morale and our Oni generals have loving -1 morale leadership for even a single squad. Morale is NOT Yomi's strong suit, so we got thoroughly trounced by Tien'Chi.

We sued for peace, which Tien surprisingly accepted, and we expanded as best we could.

Sometime around this point poor Agartha got cut down into a rump-state.

We conspired with Tien'Chi against Marverni, whose freespawn Sacred Boar generating machine was starting to really kick into gear. Unless we wanted to face a literal endless tied of Boars we had to cut them down ASAP.

Invasion!

Marverni's boars proved tough. lovely in real combat, they nevertheless trampled a lot of Oni, and caused routs due to Oni's poo poo morale. Pressed on both sides, however, Marverni lost ground.

Meanwhile, in the South:

Ur ate Fomoria and part of Helheim. Vanheim ate Xibalba and the other part of Helheim.

Around this time we started to see Vampire Lords appear in Marverni's armies! That's really loving weird, because Marverni has no native Blood or Death access. Did Marverni design his Pretender explicitly to summon Vampire Lords??

No!

One

Two

Three!

It turns out that Marverni had My-Very-First-Break-Into-Blood set of sites sitting virtually all in his cap-circle. He must have been thrilled. Since we did the majority of the fighting and dying in our joint war against Marverni we ended up taking all the sites, and I immediately threw all of our research into Blood in order to get our own Vampire Lord factory up and running ASAP.

After defeating Marverni the world looked about like this:

We had no real choice but to go to war with either Tien'Chi or Ur. I chose the enemy I didn't know, and made plans with the Chinese to attack Ur. I even started the invasion, taking a couple of Ur's provinces until, a few turns after the new war started, Tien threw up Arcane Nexus in a bold declaration that he was going for the win alone.

Tien emptied his fortresses of every last mage and hurled a couple of phenomenally strong doom-stacks into our weakend flanks, gunning for our very poorly defended Thrones.

I didn't have a Fort on our Eastern Throne because, this is great, I couldn't loving afford to build one.

Ur and I immediately made a truce until Tien'Chi was dead, and the full might of our lovely Oni hordes slowly worked their way North to deal with Tien's armies. Fortunately for us, Tien forgot how many Throne points were required to win the game, and over the next 6-8 turns we were able to attrit his doom-stacks to a halfway manageable size by sacrificing maybe 1500 or so Oni in battle after losing battle. A lesson in Pyrrhic victories.

We caught another lucky break and Tien's player got sick and soon afterward went AI, leaving us to mop up and fully realize our Vampire Lord factory.

If you see this in somebody else's territory you are hosed and should probably go AI.

While we murdered AI Tien'Chi our friends Ur and Vanheim finally got into it. Vanheim had also invested heavily in Blood, and his Vampire Lords and Liches ripped Ur to shreds over the course of 4 to 5 turns. It would have shaped up to to be an endgame Blood on Blood nation apocalypse, except that after we took Tien's Thrones we only needed 1 point to win. We hopped one province across our border with Ur and took his virtually empty fort (thank you, Vanheim). Vanheim made a noble, last-ditch effort to thwart us by throwing Vampires and Liches at our Southern armies and Cloud Trapeezing a whole bunch of ponymen into another remote Throne province. It didn't work, though, and a turn or two later we won the game.

:bravo:

IN REFLECTION
Yomi sucks and I would maybe play them again. First and foremost I would build a god with a Bless that Shikome can actually use. They are aching for a powerful bless like Quickness, or something to make them even more deadly. I wouldn't take Production, I'd definitely go hard Magic lest your Research be poo poo forever. It will be poo poo forever anyway I would gain a few design points by coming down either Cold or Hot dominion. Probably Cold, because the Cold spawned Oni have a Fatiguing attack that could be useful in certain situations. You might want to go with an Awake expander Pretender, because native expansion is extraordinarily unreliable. You won't be able to afford much of a Bless if you do so, however.

tl;dr I got very lucky in many ways and won a game. Yomi sucks and if you meet them in the early game and they don't have an awake Pretender you should rush the poo poo out of them because you'll win.

Anybody else who was in the game is welcome to offer their thoughts! :)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

honestly with yomi, should you forsake chaos power and take no turmoil, or take like turmoil 1 maybe 2 instead and roll luck 1 mayyyybe 2, then take growth/prod/magic (maybe magic 3)?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Kelp forests now included:

Have far too much SMAC nostalgia to envision kelp any other way, but I'm open to alternative suggestions if this doesn't read well in practice.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Turmoil isn't just for the chaos power, it also affects your freespawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also gonna ask this question: does anyone actually care about UW caves and the new UW trench terrain type? I was planning to add the former but not the latter.