Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Bhodi posted:

Trying to use weights as a fast forward button to fitness is what gets you injured.

Or super powered. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I seem to recall a utility for the rift that added something like a tray icon to adjust settings light height and boundaries. Does that still exist?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Stand out is on sale in steam for $17.50. :toot:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/computing-accessories/computers/xe800zaa-hc1us-xe800zaa-hc1us/

If you want an Odyssey at non crazy ebay prices.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

$400 seems decent, they always include controllers on all the Samsung ones, correct? The other brands sometimes sell them separate.

It's like a McVivePro you can get now... probably the only Mixed Reality one I'd even consider.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't know much about Soundboxing other than it's name and the implied activity but there's some kind of running mode or am I misunderstanding what you said? Is that like Sprint Vector's running or something?

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant for running outside. I used to try to keep pace with the song as it gets faster and faster. Hard as hell, but it was damned fun

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

$400 seems decent, they always include controllers on all the Samsung ones, correct? The other brands sometimes sell them separate.

It's like a McVivePro you can get now... probably the only Mixed Reality one I'd even consider.

Yeah, it comes with controllers, I don't think they sell it without them. The OLED/Vive Pro resolution now at a decent price is what sold me on giving one a shot. Might have to put some goofy stuff up on my walls at home to help with tracking but the compatibility looks really high with the latest SteamVR beta.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Don't forget you need a Bluetooth adapter to use the controllers for Windows MR because Microsoft lol

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

I was punching sounds last night and holy crap are some of the tracks extremely poorly made. It's like some people have zero concept of rhythm and just want to flail their arms around like idiots for the whole song.
Yeah this gets my goat too. I get that they want to promote only good feelings and therefore have creators make more content for them, but in addition to the heart button they need to have a button that promotes a bad feeling in the creator. Because some of them should feel bad. Jerking your arms back and forth with no regard to rhythm is not as fun for me as it was for you! Barring the "inspire feelings of low self-worth" button, I'd take a requirement that any beatmap submitted has to have the person who submits it get at least a 90% accuracy score on it.

I just played Wurstworld in hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades last night and I gotta give Anton props for continuing to churn out cool content even when I am apathetic for a while. Fun little mini games like horseshoes and shoot the things in order puzzles bolster your standard solo shooting against AI gameplay. Also the background announcements and voicemail tapes are pretty funny. I have to say that repeating guns used to be some bulllllllshit. Put all your bullets in the tube then twist the front bit and pull the lever and fire your teeny little bullet and you'd better hope they go down in 8 shots because good luck reloading this thing under fire. Has anyone had the problem that enemies stop spawning even though I am wearing the sheriff badge? Am I doing it wrong?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure wearing the badge just spawns one group and the next one spawns when you turn the hat in.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah, just spent maybe an hour on Sprint Vector and holy poo poo that is fun. Goes into that category of making you feel like an action hero.

It does have the unfortunate side effect of making me desperately want a Jet Set Radio game with the same control scheme. Maybe I can replace the soundtrack with Naganuma poo poo.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 10, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I seem to recall a utility for the rift that added something like a tray icon to adjust settings light height and boundaries. Does that still exist?
There the Oculus Tray Tool which is a tray icon utility for Rift but I don't know that it adds height & boundary adjustment functionality? Oculus reddit will know.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed... Microsoft.com (and Microsoft Retails Stores) takes 10% off VR headsets for teachers, students, and parents of k-12 students, plus "active, former, or retired military". Most places only do active or retired discounts, but "former" would mean you can be a normal vet and get the discount.

That'd get you a Rift for $359: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/oculus-rift-touch/8mt5ws8lgbwl

They still have the $500 price for the Odyssey, and they don't do price matches with other stores. But if they update the pricing to match Samsung.com you could snag one of those for $359 too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

El Grillo posted:

There the Oculus Tray Tool which is a tray icon utility for Rift but I don't know that it adds height & boundary adjustment functionality? Oculus reddit will know.

Advanced settings for steam adds all the steam side poo poo like that. Rift I end up using guardian editor after making the initial lovely box with 900 dots.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Praseodymi posted:

Pretty sure wearing the badge just spawns one group and the next one spawns when you turn the hat in.
Ah poo poo you're right! Thus solving all my life's problems once and for all, thanks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just went to Microsoft Store and got them to take 10% student/military discount off the Samsung headset, it rang up at only 5% but I showed them the webpage and they happily corrected it. Guess I'll give it a whirl and see if it is worth keeping for $459.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

CapnBry posted:

I just played Wurstworld in hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades last night and I gotta give Anton props for continuing to churn out cool content even when I am apathetic for a while. Fun little mini games like horseshoes and shoot the things in order puzzles bolster your standard solo shooting against AI gameplay. Also the background announcements and voicemail tapes are pretty funny. I have to say that repeating guns used to be some bulllllllshit. Put all your bullets in the tube then twist the front bit and pull the lever and fire your teeny little bullet and you'd better hope they go down in 8 shots because good luck reloading this thing under fire. Has anyone had the problem that enemies stop spawning even though I am wearing the sheriff badge? Am I doing it wrong?

Congrats, you just learned why the Volcanic was a commercial flop. Thankfully it lead to the superior 1894 and Model 8, both of them are in Wurstworld and do very well against the wieners.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So here is something really cool.
This guy has put together a 6DoF player that you can use on the desktop or even on VIVE.
If you go to the sidebar on this reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/6DoF you can get the player.

The other cool thing you can do is also download the 360 stereoscopic to 6DoF converter he has on that same reddit sidebar. You have to install python and follow these videos to get it up and running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-QTbpjj4Mw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGvcEBRA98
So if you have created your own 360 stereo videos you can now convert them to 6DoF. OR you can download a 360 stereo video from youtube and convert that to play in 6DoF on your VIVE. Pretty freaking sweet.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
http://www.sc5-vr.com/

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Lemming posted:

Don't forget you need a Bluetooth adapter to use the controllers for Windows MR because Microsoft lol

Yeah, that's a good point. Thankfully, I picked up a Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapter for some development testing I wanted to do a couple weeks ago but as far as I can tell, I have to write UWP apps to use modern bluetooth in Windows and fuuuuck that.

Headset is pretty neat and works well. Played Serious Sam: The Last Hope and it worked great. Spent a lot of time messing with the fit and figuring out the SteamVR(I've found 3 Settings menus so far hah!) and Windows Mixed Reality ecosystems. The Samsung Odyssey seems to have a useless feature where the headset can move forward and backward but the spring is so heavy, you'd have to mash against your face like a Vive with the original strap. Also don't like the nose thing, it pushes too hard and closes my nostrils slightly which feels weird when I'm breathing through my nose.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 10, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Just went to Microsoft Store and got them to take 10% student/military discount off the Samsung headset, it rang up at only 5% but I showed them the webpage and they happily corrected it. Guess I'll give it a whirl and see if it is worth keeping for $459.

Wow, this Samsung thing is bad... spent about 3 hours with it now, and I can say an Oculus Rift is much better for equal price.

- The sweetspot on the headset is somewhat better that the Dell headset I tried before, but not enough to not bug the poo poo out of me. It still feels like I have a vision issue with it on, because of the way things further from the center become blurrier and have more chromatic aberration. Sure, if you're looking at the inside 2/3rds then it is very nice looking but it goes to poo poo past there. You ever gotten some goop/mucus in your eye and it blurs your vision until you blink a few times? With this it feels like that, permanently. It makes me second-guess how tolerable Foveated Rendering will really be, because it feels wrong even when I'm not looking at it.

- The controllers are bad in a multitude of ways. They're less ergonomic (hard to hold down the grip button, hard to throw anything because the grip just being a hard click makes it harder to time release, hard to pull the trigger without your aim slipping around), and they have an extremely noticeable latency (to me anyways) which makes them feel less precise. They are clearly using some smoothing to cover it up too. Also, I thought the controllers used a little prediction in software when you put them out of your field of vision, but not really; you can see in Steam VR home by looking at the shadows cast by your controllers. If you grab something over your shoulder or around your waist quickly, it will work, but if the controller stays out of your vision for more than about 1 second, it locks in place (except for 3-DOF rotation) or goes flying everywhere.

- Not as comfortable as Rift, in particular the "nose flaps" are pushing my nostrils shut, so I had to pull those flaps out, and without them, if I move my head from side-to-side, the heavier weight of the headset causes it to shift and smack against the bridge of my nose. The "crown band" overall isn't as comfy as the Rift, it tugs on my hair and itches after a while because the pleather doesn't breathe, and it fogs up faster for some reason, I assume because there's no fabric.

- The software does everything pretty poorly... the Mixed Reality portal has a really bad VR desktop (desktop isn't curved at all, Oculus Dash desktop works like a thousand times better, what the hell Microsoft, also they loop the same 2-second bird chirping clip on repeat... forever), Steam VR took me a while to get going and I guess I have to keep taking the headset off and putting it back on to launch Steam VR. I played Stand Out and when I draw the gun to my chin it of course loses tracking, so you can't do that... I actually got Revive working and played First Contact, mostly looked great, though it made it very obvious that the controllers have no rumble, and no finger presence. Plus, the game was warping a bit, subtle but I assume that's Oculus adjusting for what they assume are their own lenses. Aircar looked nice.

- Yes, the headset occasionally lost tracking when I wasn't intentionally trying too, like when I sat on the floor and looked at the ground or a couple other times it got a bit choppy.

If you never got used to a Rift, you might still be impressed, but going from a CV1 to this feels like a downgrade, there's no polish or attention to detail on anything.

Man, I wish there was a way to upgrade the screens in the CV1 like there was for the DK1.

:bisonyes:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Color me interested. No where’s my JSRF remake?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Boxman posted:

It does have the unfortunate side effect of making me desperately want a Jet Set Radio game with the same control scheme. Maybe I can replace the soundtrack with Naganuma poo poo.

Warbird posted:

Color me interested. No where’s my JSRF remake?

Well Survios have branded it as the "Fluid Locomotion (TM) System" so maybe they're up for licensing the mechanics for other games.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So my rift lenses have a scuff on them after a week of moderate usage. I assume from my glasses. Anyway to remove the scuff without loving the lenses even worse?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Haven't done a real deep dive yet, but so far, In Death seems incredibly my jam.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sedisp posted:

So my rift lenses have a scuff on them after a week of moderate usage. I assume from my glasses. Anyway to remove the scuff without loving the lenses even worse?

No, there isn’t. And Oculus don’t sell replacement lenses.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sedisp posted:

Not that I've ever heard. My suggestion if the scratch is noticeable with the headset on and bothers you, is contact support and fudge slightly a reason for a problem and get a replacement, or if you bought it not from them directly to do the same and get a return and replacement.

After that point, or if the scratch isn't noticeable enough to bother you and you're just worried about more, either pick up one of the lens adapters for glasses:

https://vr-lens.eu/

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

or if you have a 3d printer/access to one, or just a cheaper option, print/order this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

and pick up these glasses to fit inside that printed holder:

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

Unfortunately if they're already scratched, they're scratched.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I just put these on my lenses, and they work perfectly. I had some minor scratches going in, but now I hardly notice them at all, plus I'm not constantly worried about making new ones.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I ordered the WidmoVR inserts and glasses and will report back when they get here. Anyone else here have them?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Discussin posted:

I ordered the WidmoVR inserts and glasses and will report back when they get here. Anyone else here have them?

I do, I like them.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

PerrineClostermann posted:

I do, I like them.

Seconded. Using them as I type this.

Also, holy poo poo, the new Oculus interface is amazing, and I've only played with it for 10 minutes or so. Currently sitting above the city in Air Car watching Youtube videos that look surprisingly decent floating off in the middle distance.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone else not able to click on a discord voice group while using the oculus desktop? I tried every combination of buttons and short and long pauses and couldn't get many things to interact well, and it refused to register that I was clicking a voice channel.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Parallelwoody posted:

Anyone else not able to click on a discord voice group while using the oculus desktop? I tried every combination of buttons and short and long pauses and couldn't get many things to interact well, and it refused to register that I was clicking a voice channel.

its a known bug with oculus dash and how the mirroring works and discord works. the web app version of discord works fine, which i just use in dash.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Has anyone watched the Olympics VR thing? I have seen a couple ads for it and I might try it out tonight. Wondering if it’s as cool as it sounds.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone who wants to do some mulitiplayer VR this eve hop on discord

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rip: /r/oculus
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7wh515/palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_joins_the_roculus/du0sw80/
:kheldragar:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Seconded. Using them as I type this.

Also, holy poo poo, the new Oculus interface is amazing, and I've only played with it for 10 minutes or so. Currently sitting above the city in Air Car watching Youtube videos that look surprisingly decent floating off in the middle distance.

I get an error that won't let me have a floating app. I think I could have a floating desktop, but I don't really want that.

The best part is is says to see support for details, the message links to the support page, but apparently there's nothing there telling me what part of my configuration makes that not work. Gonna assume it's the 3 monitor setup but who knows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oh barf. I guess I'll just stick to /r/virtualreality

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If, in my retirement, I become a reddit moderator, please kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lmao I can feel the incel from here goddamn