Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
(EDIT: responding to post on previous page) I always just fiddled with that one until they were all lit up. :shrug: Assuming it works like it did in Exile 3 anyway. It may help to map out which labels are affected by which buttons, so you can see e.g. "oh, this button is the only one that affects that label, which means that I have to push it, and then figure out how to fix the labels it makes go away using some other buttons."

Berke Negri posted:

Eastern Caverns pacified, now to southern Avernum where I hear they have a bit of a problem with undead.

BTW, gently caress Sliths.

You poor bastard, you started out with the sliths? Congratulations, you're now overlevelled for the northern caves. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I think I'm like level 13 or something before even getting to Mertis. I don't know how overleveled that is but the spiral pit is a pretty breeze at this point

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Is the bless chest in the Tower of Magi infinite?

Also is the bless effect permanent?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How screwed are you if you have a mage in an anama run? I'm kinda tempted to restart with a just full on Anama party.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Can I just say 'gently caress all magical skulls'? Is this annoying poo poo even worth it?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gorelab posted:

How screwed are you if you have a mage in an anama run? I'm kinda tempted to restart with a just full on Anama party.

Well, it means you wasted all the skill points and money you invested in mage spells, so in that sense it's better to plan for it from the start if you intend to join the Anama. I wouldn't particularly recommend joining them on a first playthrough anyway, since it makes the game harder overall.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fuckin' :lol: Vogel got the effects backwards for the Tower of the Magi donation box. If you donate and pray, then you lose about 500 experience. If you steal and pray, then you gain about 200.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Once you formally join the Anama you lose any and all access to your mage skills. If you relearn mage skills your rings will dissolve and you'll lose your membership. You'll need a handful of piercing crystals to tear down any obnoxious barriers as you quest.

However (fun spoilers):

Speak to the innkeep in Shayder and you'll be directed to the guy across the room, who will ask you to make a very illegal delivery to Lorelei. Take Ernest's portal to skip the checkpoints. Once you've completed the delivery you can buy counterfeit Anama rings from the black market in Lorelei. This will give you access to the Anama's inner sanctum, which you can rob blind. If you do this the entire city of Shayder will be permanently pissed off at you, so only do this if you have zero plans to ever return to Shayder.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 6, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fuckin' :lol: Vogel got the effects backwards for the Tower of the Magi donation box. If you donate and pray, then you lose about 500 experience. If you steal and pray, then you gain about 200.
yo this owns

I figure he'll fix it but it owns

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Now that Vogels five year plan of Avadon and Avernum alternation is over, is there any word on what his next project might be?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arrhythmia posted:

Now that Vogels five year plan of Avadon and Avernum alternation is over, is there any word on what his next project might be?

New IP then alternating it with Geneforge remakes.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Has he confirmed he’s doing the Geneforge remakes?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blades of Avadon

Sequences of Geneforge

Nethergate 2: Roman Boogaloo

But seriously Nethergate was great and I want more.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Has he confirmed he’s doing the Geneforge remakes?

He's confirmed that he intends to remake at least the earlier Geneforge games at some point, but I don't think he's confirmed exactly when he's going to start.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Took out Sss-Thsss and I'm now beloved by Avernum. Just about level 24. What's the soft cap again? Around 30-35?

Starting to get strapped down in artifacts as well, taking on Drath went much smoother than I was worried about

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Took out Sss-Thsss and I'm now beloved by Avernum. Just about level 24. What's the soft cap again? Around 30-35?

Starting to get strapped down in artifacts as well, taking on Drath went much smoother than I was worried about

Yeah. You start getting fewer benefits per level after 30, and 35 is about the practical limit to how high you can get without some really tedious and unnecessary grinding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Part of the reason for the soft cap is simply that there aren't high-level monsters to give any remotely substantial amount of experience past level 30, and experience rewards are scaled based on the level difference between you and your opponents. If you're level 33 and you're fighting level 25 monsters, you'll be getting single-digit experience points at best.

The experience scaling also means that those traits that increase your experience gain are laughably worthless. Like, sure you might reach level N+1 a little earlier because of the trait, but that'll just knock down the experience you get from your level N enemies even lower, which will slow you down again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's also worth noting that the way Vogel scales his games, unless you've really hosed up your party, by the end you'll be completely stomping anything except the uber-bosses (if he's even put any in the game you're playing).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah I just saved the Tower of Magi last night and the boss didnt even get a chance to fire off his death curse thing

I'm not sure when the jump really happened though, being level 15 and 20 side by side numbers wise doesn't look like a huge game changing improvement but that's when I started picking up a lot of the higher end spells which are a pretty big deal

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Not sure if it's just my grossly overleveled party but Hill Giants seem a lot squishier. The Giants in A1 & 2 were much tougher.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Drakes! :argh: Because it's real fair when an enemy gets three actions each turn, at least two of which can be a firebreath that deals 80% of my characters HP if it touches them. Plus Vogel decided to teach them to use the Leap spell when they're in melee range, instead of, y'know, using their AP to attack from melee range. And they invariably have a million melee flunkies so you can't chase them around either. Why yes, I'm salty about Kneese.

I also feel like the random encounter rate has been ramped way the hell up on the Isle of Bigail. Like, none of these guys are even a speedbump any more, can I please stop having to fight them every fifteen steps?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Bigail was hard. I've not revisited it to solve the extra issues. My team can't withstand drakes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

In Avernum 1 if I do any of the "ending" missions does that end the game or do I get to go back and do the other two?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

In Avernum 1 if I do any of the "ending" missions does that end the game or do I get to go back and do the other two?

You can still continue on. (Except for the "escape from Avernum" one if you actually choose to go through with escaping, of course. That one does end the game.)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, I'm really enjoying Avernum 3 so far, but not being able to teleport to Lorelei and get the fake Anama rings just because the game thinks I'm under-leveled is super lovely. Would it really have been so hard to just put a 'you sense some powerful opponents on the other side of this gate, are you sure you want to do this?' message instead of just straight-up not allowing it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone in the Geneforge LP linked to Vogel's recent AMA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7vyv09/im_jeff_vogel_founder_of_spiderweb_software_since/

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i done beat avernum 3. pretty good, but it basically turned into the magic show by the end there. dual wielding swords would gently caress up a dude, but 2 magic users would do the same amount of damage to 7 dudes.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. I seem to be being blocked off by barriers a lot more than I remember both in the crypt in the island, and the big tower. Where the heck do I find dispell barriers rank 2?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

Hm. I seem to be being blocked off by barriers a lot more than I remember both in the crypt in the island, and the big tower. Where the heck do I find dispell barriers rank 2?

Not clear which game you're talking about.

Avernum 1: Help the commander of Fort...Dranlon? In the northwest Eastern Gallery area.
Avernum 2: Clear Sss-Thsss' old island fortress, which has been co-opted by the Empire. I think Fort Emerald has the quest.
Avernum 3: Assuming it hasn't changed from Exile 3, complete Shayder's quest to be a diplomat to the troglodytes.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Not clear which game you're talking about.

Avernum 1: Help the commander of Fort...Dranlon? In the northwest Eastern Gallery area.
Avernum 2: Clear Sss-Thsss' old island fortress, which has been co-opted by the Empire. I think Fort Emerald has the quest.
Avernum 3: Assuming it hasn't changed from Exile 3, complete Shayder's quest to be a diplomat to the troglodytes.

This guy spelunks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Assuming you're talking about Avernum 3:

Rank 1: Sharimik after being the Troglo ambassador, or by breaking in through the back.
Rank 2: Taught by Black, in Calloc. Won't speak to you if you're wearing fake Anama rings.
Rank 3: A book in Khoth's Lair

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I'm just going to add here that I love the boss of that quest as a concept. Not a powerful soldier or anything, just an everyday bureaucrat that Garzahd dropped a bunch of superpowers onto because gently caress you I'm a wizard.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
There's only one level of the negotiator trait, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Correct, once you have it you should feel free to sell things.

It's still a dumb trait to have, since it encourages veterans to hoard everything until they hit level 10 (or whenever it unlocks), and/or penalizes newbies for not doing so. It's not a huge penalty, but considering that your endgame power is substantially affected by how much money you collect...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Correct, once you have it you should feel free to sell things.

It's still a dumb trait to have, since it encourages veterans to hoard everything until they hit level 10 (or whenever it unlocks), and/or penalizes newbies for not doing so. It's not a huge penalty, but considering that your endgame power is substantially affected by how much money you collect...

Yeah, I'm not fond of it. But many of his longtime customers are really into this sort of goofy pseudo-systems mastery poo poo and get upset when he cuts out the skill traps.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I guarantee the fandom would not weep at the loss of Negotiator.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You'll have more money than you can possibly spend without negotiator. Loot everything with a gold value, do sidequests, rob the Anama, sometimes the randomized job board requests are actually reasonable.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 10, 2018

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

It’s also dumb because it’s super unexciting - 10% or whatever more money is a really useful trait but boring as hell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

It’s also dumb because it’s super unexciting - 10% or whatever more money is a really useful trait but boring as hell.

To be honest, most of building a character in the reremakes is not very exciting. The power curve is ridiculously smoothed out, and level plays a huge direct role in how much damage you give/take, so even an effective build just means you can take on higher-leveled content slightly earlier than before.

That said, I have a dodge tank par excellence this time around: a nephil archer with max Dexterity and Gymnastics. Her damage is surprisingly good, though it doesn't hurt that on Hard difficulty, the game turns on friendly fire for spells so your mages can't blast everything with impunity quite so much. And she hardly ever gets hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Assuming you're talking about Avernum 3:

Rank 1: Sharimik after being the Troglo ambassador, or by breaking in through the back.
Rank 2: Taught by Black, in Calloc. Won't speak to you if you're wearing fake Anama rings.
Rank 3: A book in Khoth's Lair

One very important note: The Rank 1 book only gives you basic knowledge of the spell, if you purchase the second rank before reading it then that money is basically wasted. Even worse, if you purchase the second rank before reading the first rank tome, and then put on the fake Anama Rings then you can't go back to purchase a second rank and are, as far as I can tell, permanently locked out of obtaining all three ranks.

I'm enjoying the game overall, but running into this without a backup save or way to fix it is pretty loving frustrating.