Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lightsiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The BMW i3 front tires might as well be motorcycle tires.

Every time I see of those all I can think of is bicycle tires.. or pizza cutters.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some of it may have been quenched though, depends on if and how the fire was controlled or extinguished.

Uncontrolled "heat treatment" by unevenly distributed fire for uncontrolled lengths of time followed by unevenly and uncontrolled cooling plus contamination with impurities at high temperature is a bit of a mouthful.

Not to mention warping the ever living poo poo out of anything thin. Sometime thick, if the fire was hot enough.
Metal that's been through an uncontrolled fire is just...
Yeah, that.

Powershift posted:

I always wondered why the super stance dudes didn't run motorcycle tires.

That one *needs* some camber to get rid of the chicken strip. It also does not appear to be seated on the bead properly at the bottom, there.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

That one *needs* some camber to get rid of the chicken strip. It also does not appear to be seated on the bead properly at the bottom, there.
Looking at the condition of the rim, lack of valve cap, condition of the lower rear bumper quarter I would not bet against a few missing lug nuts also.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darchangel posted:

Not to mention warping the ever living poo poo out of anything thin. Sometime thick, if the fire was hot enough.
Metal that's been through an uncontrolled fire is just...

I don't understand how fire weakens metal but heating it very hot and then cooling it rapidly strengthens. I should start studying metallurgy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The first step is understanding "strong"can mean different things. You can scratch steel, is it strong? You can shatter glass, is it strong? Yes, in different ways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fakeaccount posted:

I don't understand how fire weakens metal but heating it very hot and then cooling it rapidly strengthens. I should start studying metallurgy.

The dumb person (that's me) version is that quenching changes how the metal is allowed to crystallize, if you let it cool slowly the atoms have a lot of time to form compounds that make it weak. If you cool it fast it doesn't have that opportunity and instead solidifies into a stronger crystal structure.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also uniformity. When manufacturing the chassis the automaker can bring the entire frame up to a specific temperature in a furnace, and then cool it in a similar manner with water/oil/forced air/etc.

With an engine bay fire you're going to have different parts of the frame reaching different temperatures at different times. And then same thing with cooling - some parts of the frame won't be heated at all, other parts might cool naturally and others might be quenched when the fire department arrives and puts the fire out.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When you heat steel up it forms a crystal structure that can only exist while hot. It can turn (broadly) into 2 types of crystal when it cools: a soft kind (if it cools slowly) and a hard kind (if it cools rapidly by quenching).

The soft kind is weaker, but very ductile; you can bend it squeeze it, draw it out without it ever snapping. It can take a lot of damage, but it takes it easily.

The hard kind is extremely strong, but tends to be brittle, ie it snaps instead of failing gracefully. It can't absorb much damage at all before the part shatters.

So what you do is you take your part, heat it up, and quench it, which turns it mostly into the hard stuff. Then, you heat it up just below the temperature where it forms the hot-stable crystal, and leave it there for a while. Gradually, some of the hard crystals start flipping over to the softer stuff. When you've changed enough, you turn the heat off and let it cool gradually. You end up with crystals of the hard kind, surrounded by a web of softer stuff, which basically acts as a cushion. You get the springiness and durability of the softer steel, but the stiffness and strength of the hard stuff. The exact ratio depends on the heat soak time and final cooling rate, but it's predictable and reproducible, so you can design parts around it to a fairly tight margin.

Now you take that carefully treated hunk of fancy steel, blast it with a gas fire and then spray potentially chemical-heavy cooling water in it in random spots, it's gonna change the ratio away from your carefully chosen design point. Maybe some spots get hot enough to form the hot crystal; of those spots, maybe some cool off slowly and get soft, while others get quenched by firehose and get brittle. It's hard to say what you'll end up with, but it won't be uniform throughout the part, and almost certainly won't be better than what you designed around.

This is all basically steel 101, by the way. Metallurgy is the kind of thing you can get a PhD in.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

Even if that is just steel 101, I didn't realize you could heat different areas of the frame to get a result that combines the hardness and malleability properties you want. It makes perfect sense, but I hadn't realized the differential heating & cooling could be beneficial (if done in a controlled fashion, so not like a car fire at all).

Also, nice av/post combo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Faster Blaster posted:

Even if that is just steel 101, I didn't realize you could heat different areas of the frame to get a result that combines the hardness and malleability properties you want. It makes perfect sense, but I hadn't realized the differential heating & cooling could be beneficial (if done in a controlled fashion, so not like a car fire at all).

Also, nice av/post combo.
Although that's not quite what Enourmo's saying, you can do that. Generally, car manufacturers will get the different properties they need through the use of different grades of material in different areas of the shell, or different heat treatments that are then assembled together. Making the whole thing then trying to heat treat certain areas in a reliable and repeatable manner would be a complete pain.

Thing is, it's very much one of these things that unless you're specifically a metallurgist, you often don't need to deal with the fine details of. It's more like cooking. You shove it in the over at the temperature and times the book says.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

click for big.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lime Tonics posted:

click for big.

It's small potatoes compared to the rest of Duterte's literal crimes against humanity, but it still hurts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fakeaccount posted:

The secret is the part where I said "uncontrolled", or rather, it's controlled heating and controlled cooling that let you change the properties you desire. For example, heating copper to red hot, but not melting, then letting it cool naturally (slowly) anneals it, making it malleable. Useful for when you need to reuse a copper washer that has work-hardened from previous use. I believe steel works the same way.
If you heat the same steel red hot and then quickly quench it in water or oil, that tempers it, making it harder to break, but more prone to crack if bending. It basically has to do with how the crystalling structure of the metal is arranged, and then either keeping it that way (quenching) or letting it rearrange (slow cooling). Those are just two examples, and a non-professional wannabe engineer's explanation. You can vary temperatures for different effects and tempers/hardnesses, but most specific properties are controlled by the alloy of the steel when made.
What happens in car fires is that the temper is either removed entirely by cooling slowly (annealing) or is removed or inconsistently applied by partially cooling slowly and partially being hit by cold water from a firehose. Then you get part of the part tempered, sort of, and part not, and it does weird things.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The first step is understanding "strong"can mean different things. You can scratch steel, is it strong? You can shatter glass, is it strong? Yes, in different ways.

One of the engineering YT channels goes into the different meanings of strong very well. Engineering Explained, maybe?

xzzy posted:

The dumb person (that's me) version is that quenching changes how the metal is allowed to crystallize, if you let it cool slowly the atoms have a lot of time to form compounds that make it weak. If you cool it fast it doesn't have that opportunity and instead solidifies into a stronger crystal structure.

Crystalline bonds, not compunds actually, but that's basically it.

Enourmo posted:

When you heat steel up it forms a crystal structure that can only exist while hot. It can turn (broadly) into 2 types of crystal when it cools: a soft kind (if it cools slowly) and a hard kind (if it cools rapidly by quenching).

The soft kind is weaker, but very ductile; you can bend it squeeze it, draw it out without it ever snapping. It can take a lot of damage, but it takes it easily.

The hard kind is extremely strong, but tends to be brittle, ie it snaps instead of failing gracefully. It can't absorb much damage at all before the part shatters.

So what you do is you take your part, heat it up, and quench it, which turns it mostly into the hard stuff. Then, you heat it up just below the temperature where it forms the hot-stable crystal, and leave it there for a while. Gradually, some of the hard crystals start flipping over to the softer stuff. When you've changed enough, you turn the heat off and let it cool gradually. You end up with crystals of the hard kind, surrounded by a web of softer stuff, which basically acts as a cushion. You get the springiness and durability of the softer steel, but the stiffness and strength of the hard stuff. The exact ratio depends on the heat soak time and final cooling rate, but it's predictable and reproducible, so you can design parts around it to a fairly tight margin.

Now you take that carefully treated hunk of fancy steel, blast it with a gas fire and then spray potentially chemical-heavy cooling water in it in random spots, it's gonna change the ratio away from your carefully chosen design point. Maybe some spots get hot enough to form the hot crystal; of those spots, maybe some cool off slowly and get soft, while others get quenched by firehose and get brittle. It's hard to say what you'll end up with, but it won't be uniform throughout the part, and almost certainly won't be better than what you designed around.

This is all basically steel 101, by the way. Metallurgy is the kind of thing you can get a PhD in.

There you go. Listen to the almost-engineer (no, really - he's in school. Me, I'm just the son of a mechanical engineer and I read books. I know enough to be dangerous)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lime Tonics posted:

click for big.
Context?

I assume one of the childish property seizure/destruction laws that a certain type is always enthusiastic about?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Context?

I assume one of the childish property seizure/destruction laws that a certain type is always enthusiastic about?

Illeagal imports.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lime Tonics posted:

Illeagal imports.
Yep, one of those, then.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Lime Tonics posted:

Illeagal imports.

will it make it extra illegal if i rebadge a S15 to look like a Camry Solara?

...asking for a friend 👀

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Comment about chassis in the real world though - for all the talk about various alloys used in modern unibodies, that Lamborghini looks like a tube chassis and is probably just non-heat-treated mild steel.

Still probably warped though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just find a dually chassis to slap it down on.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

Illeagal imports.

People compare Trump to Duterte but I'll say this for Donald, at least he only wants to send illegals back to their country of origin. It'd be nice if Duterte just sent that Corvette back home. Someone would care for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

"This shouldn't have been possibly, thanks to the following people"

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Powershift posted:

:barf: Definitely makes this one sick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DarkSol posted:

:barf: Definitely makes this one sick.

Here's a couple more, since you expressed interest:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darchangel posted:

There’s always more, and it’s always worse.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Honestly, it's cooler than I expected from the first picture. What did it used to be?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Frankly, it could be anything under there. Half a front-ended/rusted-floor scrap 911, bits of Wrangler front end, whatever front and rear axles/suspension gubbins he had lying around.

I don't like it from the perspective of "someone specifically set out to create this vision", but as "I nailed this together from bits around the yard because gently caress it, why not?" it's cool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think the saving grace is they scrapped together a rectangular headlight jeep. The Porsche part is more difficult to hand wave off.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's awful and I love it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh duh! I don't know why I thought it was a Plymouth Fury, those don't have grilles on the trunk...
We can only hope that he saved a scrapped 911 shell from the crusher instead of mangling a restorable air-cooled Porsche

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol i have no idea what that thing is but the interior is kinda cool and it looks like whoever worked on this actually cared about it so it's actually pretty rad if it runs

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone assumes the donor vehicles were in running condition or not in a scrap yard when they started the project.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Darchangel posted:

It is so ugly that it wraps back around to pretty cool, I would drive it.

Would be better with fender flares and dualies in the rear though

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 10, 2018

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't care about what it used to be, I'd daily it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As long as he didn't gently caress up a perfectly good 911, I dig it. I'm assuming (and hoping) it was a 911 beyond saving before then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm taking a guess that those roadsigns for the floorpan aren't just there for the fun of it, my money would be on 3/4 of a rusty 911 that's been in a scrapyard for two decades. Whether you consider the mid-70s one to count as a new model or not, there's still been a lot of old 911s built, and there's going to be some not-worth-saving shells floating about.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Also, 10-20 years from now, would it be easier to salvage that shell than one that had remained in the scrapyard.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if its some quirky model that is in jay leno's garage level of rarity then i guess i understand the mindset of purists but lol the more german/italian cars that get modded into oblivion the better

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Parasailing?
https://www.facebook.com/orbait/videos/2067629393264221/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Was there a plan?