Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just can't get over how happy I am that Gabby's hero name is Honey Badger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Is anybody else bothered by Magneto just passing out after dinner, without even getting his robot butler or whoever to clean up his mess? I mean, he might be a genocidal maniac, but I never thought the dude was a slob.

Cleaning up after yourself, like fuel, is for lesser men.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am just getting tired of multiple versions of the same character running around.

We have:
2 Storms
3 Beasts
2 iceman
2 Angel
2 Jean Grey
2 Captain Americas

This is not really counting Legacy characters (Jane Thor etc) or clones (Goblin Queen showed up in the same arc as Bloodstorm).

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captains America.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will say, I'm not a big fan of how Asrar draws Jean's new costume. Not armory enough.

Endless Mike posted:

I really enjoyed it, too. Having Jean basically rebuke Xavier's dream as too centrist was an interesting way to go, but it made sense.
That was always the core of her best moments in -- sorry I keep bringing this up -- Morrison's run. Jean was very much the figurehead of Morrison's more progressive, forward-thinking stances on mutant issues. Her speaking with T'Challa's group and with the UN in this issue absolutely reminded me of the speeches she gave to the reporters in the front the X-Mansion about all the great things mutantkind could do for the world.

hope and vaseline posted:

Loved X-Men Red. What do you guys think of the villain reveal at the end? I wonder if there's some kind of tie-in to Astonishing X-Men with Xavier being brought back there as well.
I kinda hope not. Part of the reason this reveal was so enticing is because the last time they fought Cassandra Nova, Xavier and Jean's burgeoning Phoenix powers were a big part of why they were able to win. And as that person says here...Jean's not the Phoenix anymore, maybe not able to go toe-to-toe with them anymore, and that's gonna be a big problem for the team here. (bet you're glad you said no to the Phoenix now eh Jean? :v:)

I wanna see how this team is gonna be able to handle this threat without the...tools?...that they had before, and Xavier showing up here to do his thing would probably overshadow that a bit.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Didn’t the AoA Beast finally die? And weren’t there three Angels at one point recently (O5 teen, mindless Archangel, and the weird zero personality/hippy version)? There’s also the Ice Hulk thing running around with Bendis’ lame future Brotherhood.

X-Red was a nice start marred somewhat by medicore art. Love that she just went straight to the UN, no messing around, backed up by Namor and T’challa because why the hell not.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I wanna see how this team is gonna be able to handle this threat without the...tools?...that they had before, and Xavier showing up here to do his thing would probably overshadow that a bit.

I meant more as in how she's actually back alive now. With the way Xavier was brought back from the astral plane, thematically it's not implausible for her to have hitched a ride with him.

(I guess we're still going with the canon that Ernst isn't actually Nova since she still appears as a background character every once in a while)

BrianWilly posted:

That was always the core of her best moments in -- sorry I keep bringing this up -- Morrison's run. Jean was very much the figurehead of Morrison's more progressive, forward-thinking stances on mutant issues. Her speaking with T'Challa's group and with the UN in this issue absolutely reminded me of the speeches she gave to the reporters in the front the X-Mansion about all the great things mutantkind could do for the world.

Yeah I love how she's straight up a continuation of her Morrison era character.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 8, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sentinel Red posted:

X-Red was a nice start marred somewhat by medicore art.

That first panel of the baby is terrifying. Like a potato goblin.

Excellent first issue story-wise, though. I mean, I'm biased, because I'm head of the Gabby Kinney Fan Club, but I'm glad to see the positive reception here. Plus, Namor. Always a great addition to any team.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The unreasonable hate and fear mutants deal with always seems way less unreasonable when something like a baby that can melt flesh by crying shows up. Why do writers keep doing things like that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Galvanik posted:

The unreasonable hate and fear mutants deal with always seems way less unreasonable when something like a baby that can melt flesh by crying shows up. Why do writers keep doing things like that?
Creative bankruptcy.

What would be more interesting would be to look at other twists on this stuff. Mutant superfans. People trying to adopt a mutant identity ("I got an eleventh toe!"). Polluting-rear end companies saying that actually they're doing their workers a favor because who wouldn't want to be like the Guthries with at least two beautiful bouncin' mutant children? etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

What would be more interesting would be to look at other twists on this stuff. Mutant superfans. People trying to adopt a mutant identity ("I got an eleventh toe!").

The U-Men verged on that, but not quite.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Back when District X was a thing there was a nightclub called Wannabee's where humans slummed it in mutant cosplay.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Morrison-era outfit remains Jean Grey's only good costume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

The Morrison-era outfit remains Jean Grey's only good costume.

The Phoenix costume is great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The blue and gold X-Factor costumes were baller. I liked her red version, too.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like her Jim Lee-era costume. :shobon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mahmud Asrar haters better vacate.

hope and vaseline posted:

Loved X-Men Red. What do you guys think of the villain reveal at the end?

I was just glad it wasn't Farouk after that endless first arc of Charles Soule's X-Men.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who is that villain at The end of red?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Who is that villain at The end of red?

Cassandra Nova. Professor X's twin that he killed in the womb. She first appeared in Morrison's New X-Men.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I dug Red but I wish the art was a little more consistent, when it was good, it was really good but there were a lot of pages that felt rushed or maybe just didn't have the care put into them and those didn't work for me. Kind of like Mark Bagley, when he can take time his stuff is really good but once he starts rushing it drops off in quality. At least Taylor is still on his game.

Also, I really like Rachel's new costume over in Gold. Not sold on the "Prestige" thing but the costume's a pretty great reference to a lot of her past.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am just getting tired of multiple versions of the same character running around.

We have:
2 Storms
3 Beasts
2 iceman
2 Angel
2 Jean Grey
2 Captain Americas

This is not really counting Legacy characters (Jane Thor etc) or clones (Goblin Queen showed up in the same arc as Bloodstorm).

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting too.

Whoa who is the second storm?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

Whoa who is the second storm?

Bloodstorm.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It immediately took me out of Red when the torch and pitchfork lynch mob, which itself was pretty absurd, had literal pitch torches. That, and Jean appealing to the UN to recognize mutants as some extranational unified entity which I guess she just declared herself representative of (in an admittedly good speech) made absolutely zero sense. Are the X-Men ISIS now?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Autism Sneaks posted:

It immediately took me out of Red when the torch and pitchfork lynch mob, which itself was pretty absurd, had literal pitch torches. That, and Jean appealing to the UN to recognize mutants as some extranational unified entity which I guess she just declared herself representative of (in an admittedly good speech) made absolutely zero sense. Are the X-Men ISIS now?
Mutants are a presumably-ubiquitous minority group with needs (mostly of the 'please do not murder us or use us for biological research or evil schemes' sort) so I can see having some kind of... representative, of some kind. Some kind of international agreement even if it's just "mutants, even if very ugly, are human beings legally equal to flatscans."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

seriously though who's storm 2

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Seriously, a Douglock Deathlok.

Should've included Lockjaw in the mix, imo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's actually kinda weird that mutants apparently didn't have a voice in the UN until now? I just kinda assumed that Xavier had filled that role, but apparently that mofo was lazy as poo poo :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Utopia was recognized as the mutant nation at one point and Cyclops addressed a non-UN assembly of nations in the Schism event.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cyclops status: still right

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nessus posted:

Creative bankruptcy.

What would be more interesting would be to look at other twists on this stuff. Mutant superfans. People trying to adopt a mutant identity ("I got an eleventh toe!"). Polluting-rear end companies saying that actually they're doing their workers a favor because who wouldn't want to be like the Guthries with at least two beautiful bouncin' mutant children? etc.

Morrison's New X-Men showing that there's Mutant culture emerging was a step in the right direction for that. Too bad no one followed up on it and we got House of M instead. :sigh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

amigolupus posted:

Morrison's New X-Men showing that there's Mutant culture emerging was a step in the right direction for that. Too bad no one followed up on it and we got House of M instead. :sigh:

Yeah, Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is good but seems like it's entire purpose was to undo everything Morrison did.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

It immediately took me out of Red when the torch and pitchfork lynch mob, which itself was pretty absurd, had literal pitch torches.

I thought it was a callback to when Nightcrawler was recruited. Especially since he's there to get them out of there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

IUG posted:

I thought it was a callback to when Nightcrawler was recruited. Especially since he's there to get them out of there.

It's the same group that's been constantly following him since then. They're really committed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

Cyclops status: still right

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Codependent Poster posted:

It's the same group that's been constantly following him since then. They're really committed.

If all you have is a pitchfork, everything looks like a mutant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

amigolupus posted:

RIP Jumbo Carnation.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was gonna post that the pitchforks and torches was probably something Cassandra Nova was making them do, but I also have to be honest that it's not as if Marvel universe humans haven't, in fact, done that exact sort of thing a lot of times without any kind of mind control at all, so "it's actually Cass Nova's fault" is not necessarily a given.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, angry mobs out to kill mutant kids are pretty much standard in Marvel.

You guys were right though, X-men Red was pretty good, but the art, woof.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Asrar's great, ya weridos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agreed, art was great.