Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol, what the hell is going on there? Is she saying, "Oh my God, it's stuck?" Lol, wtf?

is fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Memento posted:

oh ffs

Incidentally, what's your avatar from?

Super beaten but yeah, from a comic called Saga. Highly recommend it!

Also I guess the government is back? :confuoot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Runcible Cat posted:

It does say she thought of that and decided it’d just run round in a panic until it got squashed or eaten, which I do give her points for, it’s just the :derp: flush it! conclusion I have a huge issue with.

Now I'm just imaging some severely jetlagged businessman seeing a hamster in the floor, picking it up, and eating it.

Mmmm free hamster!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who doesn't eat wandering hamsters?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Uber is worth 72 billion despite never having made a profit. But it's really bizarre seeing the CEO of Uber apologize for their behavior.

All those unicorn valuations are bullshit :ssh: . If they're hard up for a new funding round and I invest $100 for 10% of the company the press will report their valuation as 1 billion. Except, the restricted shares I get will be very different from the common stock that say, employees have. They can include rules about how I can convert them for multiple normal shares during an IPO or buyout, ratchets for future funding rounds, rights to reject an IPO or buyout, more dividends, you name it. The valuation of companies can be overstated by a factor of 4x or more because of this.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Who doesn't eat wandering hamsters?

They're made of ham, right? Delicious.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Release the hamster and watch it rise to become king of the rodents at the airport. His former role as emotional support should give him the chops he needs to rise up through the ranks in politics

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

Also I guess the government is back? :confuoot:

Shut down for 519 minutes. Might be the shortest shutdown ever, and only because Rand Paul dicked around until past the deadline.

For the record, Carter's administration managed to have five shutdowns. Three of them were because of Republicans opposing abortion-related spending. Reagan had a whopping eight, one of which was literally because Congress went off to parties after adjourning and forgot to sign the loving paper before leaving. There was also a shutdown in 1984 because Reagan opposed a civil rights measure in a bill (a measure that would go into affect anyway three years later).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

That Juicero company got $120 million of funding before it shut down. They made the $700 juicing machine that required wifi and a subscription to $5 juice packs.

I can't believe they got that much money. When I first heard about Juicero this was all I could think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6p9HxQQAc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/NrBsvpb.mp4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:doggo:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

boner confessor posted:

there is so much money floating around the capital markets and so little actual useful things to invest that money in that any drat stupid technology company gets a billion dollars thrown at it if it passes a basic sanity check

they kicked out kalanick and replaced him with a guy whose job is to do nothing but apologize about the entire company top to bottom acting like massive assholes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-01-18/the-fall-of-travis-kalanick-was-a-lot-weirder-and-darker-than-you-thought

That article ends with Kalanick being a billionaire.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I guess it would pretty much have to be, but it's still so goddamn bizarre that it's cracking me up.

She didn't exactly stick the landing, but props to her for taking the plunge, Give it a try sometime if you never have: that takes balls of steel.

Maybe it was intentional. Does artistry count in belly-flop contests?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ShadowFart69/status/962057317838548999

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

well duh that's why she said she can calculate it so easily :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Don't complain to the chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTAhtHLGHk0

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

POCKET CHILLI!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

How could you give your customer the ol' spicy eyeballs?!

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/mqcfpe.webm

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus :randstare:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Swimming holes like that kill a ton of kids and teens every year. Very easy to die doing poo poo like that, specially if your friends are drunk and don't notice you've bonked your self and are now unconscious and drowning.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They sold everything and bought a boat to sail the world. It sank on day two.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like, it sucks that 2 people's lives are ruined but holy poo poo are they idiots. They sold everything and bought a boat and planned to just sail for the rest of their lives? Do they know how expensive it is to maintain a boat? They had no savings, spent it all on the boat. They also didn't know how to sail. Sinking or not, they'd have been loving within months.

I could understand something like "We were both experienced sailors and he had done a live-aboard for a few years in his youth, we got a good deal on a boat and calculated we had enough savings to essentially retire if we lived very frugally on our boat" but there was no plan. Just buy boat, don't know how to sail, sink, life hosed.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

lmao, sold everything to get a dream boat and didn't get sonar or even a depthfinder? :wom:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elizabethan Error posted:

lmao, sold everything to get a dream boat and didn't get sonar or even a depthfinder? :wom:

Dude was driving an uber for money. It seems they only got a bit over 10 grand after selling everything, 5000 for the boat and 5000 for repairs and then nothing left once they set sail. Like a middle class person "selling everything" could probably get close to a million, which if you're living on a 10k boat frugally might actually last you into retirement but only if you really really know what you're doing and can do boat upkeep entirely on your own.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I feel bad for them, but god drat that before and after is something.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And they didn't even get insurance.

quote:

They might stay with his mother, then float around the state looking for work. They’re still figuring it out. But they’re still alive, and so is the dream.
"I’m not going to give up now," Broadwell said. "I’m going to get another boat down the road."
"We can’t just give up on our dreams," Walsh said.

There's always hope! Next year, we'll sink on Day 3!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Modus Pwnens posted:

it is sad, but they didn't really consider their lack of experience, nor how dangerous it is to blunder through an unknown waterway in the foggy darkness. this is the boat equivalent of flying visual only and then narrowly surviving a graveyard spiral.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I am getting very strong suspicions that meth was involved.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

it is sad, but they didn't really consider their lack of experience, nor how dangerous it is to blunder through an unknown waterway in the foggy darkness. this is the boat equivalent of flying visual only and then narrowly surviving a graveyard spiral.

Some of the facts as reported just don't even make sense. Two people working with no kids, hustling Uber on the side for two years, selling everything they own, got them $10k? They decided to quit their jobs and leave everything behind with $90 in the bank? What were they going to eat? How were they going to maintain the boat?

The only way it even remotely works is if the hull was stuffed full with drugs they were planning on smuggling from tourist beach to tourist beach.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If you "sold everything" and only came up with $10k, at least that's easy to come back from.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Modus Pwnens posted:

Some of the facts as reported just don't even make sense. Two people working with no kids, hustling Uber on the side for two years, selling everything they own, got them $10k? They decided to quit their jobs and leave everything behind with $90 in the bank? What were they going to eat? How were they going to maintain the boat?

The only way it even remotely works is if the hull was stuffed full with drugs they were planning on smuggling from tourist beach to tourist beach.
that's kind of a facile argument, if they were that involved in a supposed drug transport(which implies at least a little competance), why wouldn't they have enough sense to get something to see the depth or even the underwater topo? it doesn't fit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It kind of seems like the boat equivalent of buying a plane you can't fly and driving it off the runway and into a ditch.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Modus Pwnens posted:

Only the pug looks stoic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

It was either sink or die of scurvy. I imagine their idea of feeding themselves was relying solely on fish for subsistence?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Thank god someone highlighted the relevant bits of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

that's kind of a facile argument, if they were that involved in a supposed drug transport(which implies at least a little competance), why wouldn't they have enough sense to get something to see the depth or even the underwater topo? it doesn't fit.

Apologies for not being more intellectually rigorous in the schadenfreude thread.