Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think FF12's biggest mistake was calling them "Palings" instead of "Chug Times". If the game did the same thing as they currently do with Palings but instead said "You can't hurt this boss until you chug a beer" then they'd probably have been better received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

also the way battle speed works in ff12 is very stupid. it affects how fast you can attack and cast spells, but bosses always cast instantly and thus ignore it. so if you turn the speed up you'll effectively deal more damage.

the demon wall is also affected by this -- it moves towards you at the same speed no matter what, so the boss is way harder on the slowest speed than the fastest.

Also status effects always last the same amount of real time regardless of your battle speed. Faster battle speed makes status effects last longer relative to in-game time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I think FF12's biggest mistake was calling them "Palings" instead of "Chug Times". If the game did the same thing as they currently do with Palings but instead said "You can't hurt this boss until you chug a beer" then they'd probably have been better received.

Active Chug Events, or A.C.E. for short.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

MMF Freeway posted:

Palings are bad but Trickster is an example of them used right imo because while his paling is up he's also raining meteors onto your face for massive damage so it actually becomes a fight for survival rather than just a time waste. Also yeah non-elemental magic goes through the paling, so bio, drain uhh balance maybe?

I'll check some meteorites at it the next time I play. I spent about 90 minutes trying to beat it the other night and it burned me out. Definitely the first mark that has given me issues in about 21 hours of gameplay.

Thanks for the tips y'all

And apparently I need to increase battle speed. I left it at default.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna try and break Cerobi Steppe RNG since I got the Nihopalaoa (using PDs on enemies doesn't break RNG unless they attack you). The items to get for the bazaar for the Niho were surprisingly easy once you have the monographs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cleretic posted:

Welp, guess I'm mostly wrong on the FF crossover tier lists then!

Except with Ramza and Vaan. Those two are loving beefcakes in every game they're in.
Ramza is just kinda okay in DFFOO.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

True power is screaming for hours in hot pants

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Another issue with Palings is the lack of a way to store Gambit loadouts, so if you do want to spend the duration of one healing you need to pause, change all your gambits one by one, wait out the Paling, pause again, and change them back - if you remember them. I dunno maybe I'm just lazy but I find making regular adjustments to my gambits a pain in the rear end, which is an issue when that's your main interaction with the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AlphaKretin posted:

Another issue with Palings is the lack of a way to store Gambit loadouts, so if you do want to spend the duration of one healing you need to pause, change all your gambits one by one, wait out the Paling, pause again, and change them back - if you remember them. I dunno maybe I'm just lazy but I find making regular adjustments to my gambits a pain in the rear end, which is an issue when that's your main interaction with the game.

Yeah gambits would work better if they were sets you could actively build around and swap to as needed relatively to enemy actions. Shifting the paradigm of your strategies as it were.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah gambits would work better if they were sets you could actively build around and swap to as needed relatively to enemy actions. Shifting the paradigm of your strategies as it were.

For all of its flaws, final fantasty 13 actually had some good ideas.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lobster22221 posted:

It and LR are easily the most mechanically sound FF games. They are good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It and LR are easily the most mechanically sound FF games.

Shame about absolutely everything else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

I especially liked the ideas concerning Snow getting punched in the face.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do people hate Snow again

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Your Computer posted:

hey follow-up to this I went digging to see what sort of dialogue changes it had and uh yeah

it's a romhack alright. I think I'll stick to the original

Incidentally, I think that picture is OOOLD. Like, the first release or two of the mod had apparently more of that cringey dialog, but people complained and to his credit the creator both A) cut out most of the really bad dialog, and B) put in an option to remove almost all of it. And that was before I played it like 4 years ago. He continued to work on balance tweaks and stuff as well. So I wouldn't discount the mod because of an ancient picture that no longer reflects the mod.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

Annoying, got the Tough Mom killed, impossibly oblivious. If he weren't so fuckin dumb he'd have realized who Hope was and ended that plotline before it began

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Followup do people also hate Snow in XIII-2/LR

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Help Im Alive posted:

He's basically a character that got misplaced from 6 when the WoR opened up so he found himself in a world with voice acting.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

You might have the next million-dollar idea friend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

He's a big reckless dumbass who continually puts other people in danger and/or killed and thinks he's awesome for it with no sense of self-awareness.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought Snow was hilarious in LR because he turns into a member of The Cure

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alternatively, you could say that he turns into a FFXV character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I love Snow because he's a dumb oblivious moron, like a dumber Tidus or Vaan without the excuses those two had of being out of their elements. His plans are dumb, his ideas are dumb, he runs on pure unfounded optimism and it's hilarious that 2/5 the other playable characters hate his guts until 2/3 through the game because of his single-minded puppy dog focus. He's a meathead dating a woman half his size and probably four times his intellect, and the only thing that keeps him going for the first 2/3 of the game is him constantly deluding himself he's the hero of this story. He's a moron, he's lovable because his convictions are relatable and understandable, he always wants to keep trying to save everyone, and I can still relate to the two characters who want to see him dead.

Thus why I love Snow and still enjoy watching him get punched in the face.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That said, I also love Sabin and would love to see him get punched in the face, but only because I feel Sabin would laugh it off and pat the punching person on the back for a well-placed punch.

I think I'd also add Cait Sith to this prestigious honor since he's a robot and thus it doesn't really matter if he gets punched in the face.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Jealous of his awesome bod.

Seriously, I always liked Snow from the first time I played XIII. He's introduced as the only person trying to save a bunch of people from certain death, he also refuses to give up on saving the love of his life, he channels pure goodness to the point he carries the kid who wants to kill him around on his back even as his insides are smashed to pieces.

Kinda reminds me of how Zidane is pretty popular in contrast to Tidus or Vaan. All three are very cheerful, happy-go-lucky types but Zidane is cool while Tidus and Vaan are demonstrably not cool. I attribute this to Tidus and Vaan's obnoxiousness, cluelessness (about simple things, it has nothing to do with being in a "different world") and their stupid outfits.

Snow could be argued to be clueless but he isn't as obnoxious as Tidus or Vaan and his outfit is certainly better.

Also Snow has an awesome theme song.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

He's a big reckless dumbass who continually puts other people in danger and/or killed and thinks he's awesome for it with no sense of self-awareness.
I thought the question was about Snow, not Hope's mom.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Did hope’s mom do anything besides saying the dumbest one-liner imaginable and getting brutally owned

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It and LR are easily the most mechanically sound FF games. They are good.

I loved LR's extinction mechanics, albeit in part because I think extinction mechanics are cool especially when appropriate to the setting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Did hope’s mom do anything besides saying the dumbest one-liner imaginable and getting brutally owned
Well she abandoned her son at the first opportunity. In fact Hope's arc probably makes the most sense if he's supposed to be projecting anger at his mother onto Snow.

EDIT: I might be stretching a bit here and haven't played FF13 since it came out but its a take I've never heard before at least.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I loved LR's extinction mechanics, albeit in part because I think extinction mechanics are cool especially when appropriate to the setting.

They're cool, though in practice it's a pain in the rear end to actually drive stuff to extinction unless you visit the bonus dungeon. I do like that one guy who asks you to kill every skeleton because he's scared of them, that's pretty funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

NikkolasKing posted:

Kinda reminds me of how Zidane is pretty popular in contrast to Tidus or Vaan. All three are very cheerful, happy-go-lucky types but Zidane is cool while Tidus and Vaan are demonstrably not cool. I attribute this to Tidus and Vaan's obnoxiousness, cluelessness (about simple things, it has nothing to do with being in a "different world") and their stupid outfits.

Zidane feels like an adult, in that he's an established part of his world. He understand the world and he knows how to get along, and he's so skilled at taking care of himself that he has plenty of time to spare for other people.

Tidus, even though he's theoretically older, feels like a child in that he has to tag along behind the adults asking questions and being spoon-fed. Also, he actively refuses to become part of the world he finds himself in or accept its logic.

(This winds up being a good thing for him, because the world's logic is wrong and Tidus is right, but it means he doesn't get to be an adult until the world is fixed.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is a dialogue prompt in 13-2 where you can ask Serah about Snow and she starts talking really fast and chipmunky and the screen fades out and it's implied that she rambled on about how cool Snow is and why she loves him so much for hours. Also Snow is a central player in the single best ending in the whole ff13 series.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I get what you mean, but "adult" is probably the wrong word here since much of Zidane's character development is his maturing and learning how not to be an rear end in a top hat to random people and a creep to women in particular, while Tidus is dumb but still relatively mature even though he acts like an idiot at times.

But you're right that Zidane is an established part of his world and very knowledgeable about it compared to the rest of the party, while Tidus of course is the fish out of water who has to get exposition constantly as the viewpoint character. Both characters are definitely strengths in their respective stories since Zidane is instrumental in helping Garnet and Vivi learn the world and become self-reliant in their own ways, while Tidus forces the party and Spira and general to reconsider their way of life and see if there may be better alternatives to free them of eternal misery.

It's actually quite interesting how 9 and 10 go in completely different directions, but then it feels like any two adjacent FF games are always going to be radically different from each other, and of course that's what makes this series so unique and great.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think most people remember what Snow even did in 13-2, but he was alright in there. He was cool in LR as well imo. Most people just don't like his optimisim shtick in 13-1, despite that being the thing they deliberately play around with him

Raxivace posted:

Well she abandoned her son at the first opportunity. In fact Hope's arc probably makes the most sense if he's supposed to be projecting anger at his mother onto Snow.

EDIT: I might be stretching a bit here and haven't played FF13 since it came out but its a take I've never heard before at least.

That's not really it, Hope's cutscenes all make it abundantly clear all the time that it's specifically Snow ( and Snow's dumb actions) for specifically having responsibility for his mom's death. Hope is more pissed off at his dad than he ever is at his mom.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gologle posted:

There is a dialogue prompt in 13-2 where you can ask Serah about Snow and she starts talking really fast and chipmunky and the screen fades out and it's implied that she rambled on about how cool Snow is and why she loves him so much for hours. Also Snow is a central player in the single best ending in the whole ff13 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egZo2rg84U

Still my favorite XIII game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A lot of the fun of 13-2 is playing Serah as an absolute mad woman.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I'm playing FF XII Zodiac Age and I just got the item from the viera that removes the barriers in the forest, and now all of the enemies beyond there are suddenly kicking my rear end. I feel like I've already been doing a ton of optional grinding, so I'm not sure why the difficulty just spiked like that. Do I have no choice but to grind more?

Same with the hunts, I was clearing them as they appeared no problem, but now suddenly the only available hunts are rank 3 and 4 ones that absolutely destroy me. Are hunts supposed to be saved for late game?

Finally, I have one last question. At the moment I can only fast travel via gate crystals and my limited supply of teleport stones. Do I later get an airship or something that lets me hop all over the map without expending teleport stones?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m an idiot and went to the wrong area, nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nope, you never get your own airship, despite you riding in one earlier and it being a major goal of the party. Instead you can buy airship tickets which exist solely to a) be a place for a hunt to happen at and b) a shop that for some unfathomable reason is where you buy all the teleport stones your heart desires and c) inefficiently teleport you to places you've been.