Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Remilia posted:

As someone stuck on console I certainly would appreciate some sort of feedback

You can go into a stone, sea, sky and then there's calculators to tell you your DPS based on either the percentage left on the dummy, or the amount of time left when you kill it. It won't give you feedback on how well you keep uptime in fights with mechanics but it'll tell you how you're doing with your base rotation, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blockhouse posted:

Looking for suggestions on SMN book glamours to aim for

I want the coolest book

I like Aurora, from Castrum Abania (69). Farming the weapons from there loving sucks though.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I'm aware of the sss calculator and it's helpful But not ideal

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

If i knew how to display these fancy pie charts, i'd show you the DRG's performance, but i can't seem to figure out how to get ACT to display that.

You double click their name and then double-click 'outgoing damage' or something like that. I can't remember.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I like book of spades a lot because I think the particle effect looks cool and particle effects are the most important part of a weapon.

This is also why I am very proud of my terpander lux.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Blockhouse posted:

I just don't think meters are going to solve any problems.

The people who double down on playing lovely are going to do it regardless of physical evidence of playing lovely. Anyone who cares can easily access the information on how to play good, because the internet exists. Meters aren't going to make those people suddenly start caring.

These people are also much more sparse compared to people who are trying to rush to cap not realizing job quests exist, or people who just don't play a lot and don't ever interact with anyone who might twig to the idea that something is up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Concurred posted:

Negative, HQ GC turn ins are bloodhemp gear, which I can't HQ

Buy em ya goof!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mister Olympus posted:

These people are also much more sparse compared to people who are trying to rush to cap not realizing job quests exist, or people who just don't play a lot and don't ever interact with anyone who might twig to the idea that something is up.

I have never disagreed more with a statement in my life. That said I am all in favor of people having a personal damage meter with some vague feedback like below, meets, or exceeds expectations or something along those lines. If nothing else it's really unfair to console players who can't use ACT.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It also really doesn't help for jobs like BLM that are all about fight mastery. Putting out good numbers on a dummy is easy, but putting out good numbers on something like O5S is definitely harder.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

You double click their name and then double-click 'outgoing damage' or something like that. I can't remember.

Ah, i found it. I had to sort by damage to get it to show up first, though. Excuse the barbaric tongue, i put up translations to the side.

I don't play DRG so i can't tell what's wrong with this, but he DID do less damage than the WHM.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Ah, i found it. I had to sort by damage to get it to show up first, though. Excuse the barbaric tongue, i put up translations to the side.

I don't play DRG so i can't tell what's wrong with this, but he DID do less damage than the WHM.

It looks like they literally just spammed Impulse Drive and didn't use any other moves in their combo, which is loving incredible considering the Disembowel button literally lights up after you hit ID.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HenryEx posted:

His primary dps was his auto attacks. He only clicked his jumps a couple of times and only used his aoe combo and never touched his aoe ogcd. He also spammed impulse drive.

He basically did not push buttons.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Who do I whisper on Excal to get an invite to one of the goon FCs?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Second post in the thread.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ah yes my favorite dragoon attack

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the Monk's Dragon Kick glitched? When I use it as an opener, the debuff on the enemy doesn't show up.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Is the Monk's Dragon Kick glitched? When I use it as an opener, the debuff on the enemy doesn't show up.

Read the tooltip where it says you need GL 1 or whatever.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I mean, like everyone's primary dps is their auto attacks if they have them.

Jimbot posted:

You aren't in opo-opo stance yet.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blockhouse posted:

ah yes my favorite dragoon attack

The best thread this forum has ever seen. Mods had Sprung avatars for ages after that thread, everyone did.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

the dps meter argument makes me lol every time because of the people who post as if wow has a built in dps meter because I guess they've never played it

it is just as easy to get a dps meter in FF14 as it is in wow. it is also just as easy to get punished for being a dick to someone over their dps in FF14 as it is in wow

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dryzen posted:

the dps meter argument makes me lol every time because of the people who post as if wow has a built in dps meter because I guess they've never played it

it is just as easy to get a dps meter in FF14 as it is in wow. it is also just as easy to get punished for being a dick to someone over their dps in FF14 as it is in wow

You miss the point by glossing over its expected in wow

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It's also expected in FF14 so I don't really know what to tell you.

Unless you mean in dungeons in which case lol I've never in my life had a person demand of me to have a parser in a dungeon but I guess that's just anecdotal

I do not think that in any situation where a parser is beneficial that people expecting you to have it is bad though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad they finally added an in-game glamour parser

RME
Feb 20, 2012

a parser and fflogs are probably some of the best self improvement tools you can use
which sucks if youre on console, and doubly so if youre pugging on console because you can't even rely on a static member uploading

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RME posted:

a parser and fflogs are probably some of the best self improvement tools you can use
which sucks if youre on console, and doubly so if youre pugging on console because you can't even rely on a static member uploading

Happy to run a Sigmascape or primal with anyone who’d like their data.

Just ask in Discord really, I can’t be the only one.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
almost every anecdote about some dude being mistreated about his parsed dps has the eventual reveal the dude is doing like, the dps a crafting macro would do. like, we can't see that drg's dps but just based on what we've seen even at 340 he would be doing like 40-50 percent of a good dog

like 85 percent of my parsing experience is just a middle-of-the-road dps asking how they did at the end of a PUG Savage run and the only drama comes from trying to come up with a sufficiently Newspeak way of phrasing my answer that a GM couldn't give me poo poo even if they wanted to

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Allagan Coat of Casting continues to be the best casting body in the game.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Definately. Makes for a pretty good musketeer glamour for red mage:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's the current monk opener?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Doom Train cleared.

Stone 4 ruins pretty pictures.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Philonius posted:

Definately. Makes for a pretty good musketeer glamour for red mage:

Highfive RDM allagan coat of casting buddy. I just swapped over to using that last night, after I got tired of looking at the shire caster coat dyed red.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are there any fight specific tricks as a melee in O6S people can think of? My two clears are 9th and 16th percentile without deaths and I was used to getting pretty good parses in deltascape. Lyrina Galera on Ultros if someone wants to look at my actual runs on fflogs

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I just don't think meters are going to solve any problems.

The people who double down on playing lovely are going to do it regardless of physical evidence of playing lovely. Anyone who cares can easily access the information on how to play good, because the internet exists. Meters aren't going to make those people suddenly start caring.

:wrong: people will see they are bad and might get better. With only having ACT right now you have to google then follow a 5 page document to get ACT setup right. And most would rather double down and just play like poo poo and kill the boss slower because the alternative to knowing their numbers is far more effort.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I feel like most players would just ignore and keep being bad at video games but is it worth it? Maybe everyone should move to the better platform pc for only $900.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

love that coat (well, healing)

Holyshoot posted:

With only having ACT right now you have to google then follow a 5 page document to get ACT setup right. And most would rather double down and just play like poo poo and kill the boss slower because the alternative to knowing their numbers is far more effort.

also this is just wrong, install this and it pulls the FF XIV plugin for you automagically http://advancedcombattracker.com/includes/page-download.php?id=56

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 10, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dryzen posted:

it is just as easy to get a dps meter in FF14 as it is in wow.
it is also just as easy to get punished for being a dick to someone over their dps in FF14 as it is in wow

L M A O. Lets have a race. You get to install and get working ACT and I have to install a dps meter in wow. I bet my account I will win. You won't even have ACT installed by the time I am logged into wow with a functioning dps meter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zerilan posted:

What's the current monk opener?
M, I, X, The Crack into The Bowl.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any fight specific tricks as a melee in O6S people can think of? My two clears are 9th and 16th percentile without deaths and I was used to getting pretty good parses in deltascape. Lyrina Galera on Ultros if someone wants to look at my actual runs on fflogs

O6S or O5S? O6S is one of the most melee friendly raid fights in the game. Learning when to move to hit the pictures with the paint in between GCDs is important. When the boss does fire + earthquake, you don't have to hit the painting for the plane until the cast is just about finished so you can stay attacking him longer. When the boss casts release he'll move from whatever corner he's in to the center, and when he casts possession he'll move from the center to a corner. Get the timing down for when to move with him so you don't have to run after him and lose GCDs and auto attacks. The main thing that will screw your up-time as melee in this fight is getting into the plane too early and getting targeted for the feint particle beam style mechanic where you just have to run away. Otherwise, it's a straightforward fight to get good up-time as a melee DPS in, and if you've been getting good parses before I'm going to assume it's an up-time issue and not a rotational issue.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Die Sexmonster! posted:

love that coat (well, healing)

also this is just wrong, install this and it pulls the FF XIV plugin for you automagically http://advancedcombattracker.com/includes/page-download.php?id=56

Does it automagically pull the overlays and create the overlay for me? Tell me where to put the overlay html folder? Tell me to make sure my firewall isn't blocking the ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Klewer posted:

O6S or O5S? O6S is one of the most melee friendly raid fights in the game. Learning when to move to hit the pictures with the paint in between GCDs is important. When the boss does fire + earthquake, you don't have to hit the painting for the plane until the cast is just about finished so you can stay attacking him longer. When the boss casts release he'll move from whatever corner he's in to the center, and when he casts possession he'll move from the center to a corner. Get the timing down for when to move with him so you don't have to run after him and lose GCDs and auto attacks. The main thing that will screw your up-time as melee in this fight is getting into the plane too early and getting targeted for the feint particle beam style mechanic where you just have to run away. Otherwise, it's a straightforward fight to get good up-time as a melee DPS in, and if you've been getting good parses before I'm going to assume it's an up-time issue and not a rotational issue.

I did just come off a three month hiatus so maybe I'm just bad now. A few of those uptime tricks are things I wasn't doing though (such as hitting the plane at the last second). I have a 51st percentile on O5S so my rotation is probably still fine. (My other O5S is 12th but that fight is super RNG so I'm not too fussed about it)