Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it would be a cooler way to flip the script if he had all the human mods.

The lasting appeal of Prey to me is the idea that Morgan is the Antagonist so the idea that Dahl is flying up to Talos like the hero of his own game and you waste him effortlessly always rubbed me wrong. I wanted him sprinting and throwing couches and shotgunning me in the face while I spaz out looking for a safe place to blink, transform and escape before I find a way to mind control him or make his head explode

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fridge corn posted:

Welp, finished the game. Really cool. Did mostly human powers run so I'm half tempted to do a typhon killing spree playthrough but I doubt I will. Too many other games to play. Anyway, well worth the price (£10) of admission

I really, really, really recommend doing the Typhon Killing spree playthrough.

I did an all-human run, then an all-Typhon run and the powers are a blast not just for combat but for exploration/puzzle solving ideas I had never considered before. I enjoyed it so much I did a third playthrough just to try out a non-powers run and even that was a hell of a lot of fun.

Game owns, basically, and the rest of your backlog can wait while you wring every last second of playtime out of it that you can.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the Daud comparison. That was my absolute highlight of Dishonored*, tho, so I'd definitely imagine it could've been awesome.

*It was so surprising at the time; I had time stop activated so I could sneak up and steal the key off his belt, when suddenly he turns around and hits me with his sword and laughs. Freaked me right the hell out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

I like copying them and flying about murdering the other drones.

I just hit them with the mind whammy and they spend the rest of the time bobbing around the ceiling fighting each other. It's kind of cute, they're not very good at it. :3:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Spoiler is what you want for the spoiler tag, no plurals.

Dahl as an actual badass would have been great, but they also would have had to do up a whole suite to make him that badass, and then the script they ended up with would make use of that effort absolutely nowhere else. Game design is a cruel mistress that way.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it would be a cooler way to flip the script if he had all the human mods.

The lasting appeal of Prey to me is the idea that Morgan is the Antagonist so the idea that Dahl is flying up to Talos like the hero of his own game and you waste him effortlessly always rubbed me wrong. I wanted him sprinting and throwing couches and shotgunning me in the face while I spaz out looking for a safe place to blink, transform and escape before I find a way to mind control him or make his head explode

Not to get all :goonsay: but there's a terminology mixup here. Morgan is the protagonist. Protagonist/antagonist isn't a moral judgment; the player character is always the protagonist and the enemies are always the antagonists. It's possible to be a villain protagonist and for your enemies to be good guy antagonists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1redflag posted:

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the Daud comparison. That was my absolute highlight of Dishonored*, tho, so I'd definitely imagine it could've been awesome.

*It was so surprising at the time; I had time stop activated so I could sneak up and steal the key off his belt, when suddenly he turns around and hits me with his sword and laughs. Freaked me right the hell out.

You're not the only one. :allears:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

...! posted:

Not to get all :goonsay: but there's a terminology mixup here. Morgan is the protagonist. Protagonist/antagonist isn't a moral judgment; the player character is always the protagonist and the enemies are always the antagonists. It's possible to be a villain protagonist and for your enemies to be good guy antagonists.

If we’re getting into technicalities, that’s not true. Protagonist / antagonist are plot-related terms. A protagonist has some desire that compels action, which puts plot into motion (ie if they weren’t there, none of the other characters would get tangled up in events), the antagonist is the person or thing(s) that presents an obstacle to the fulfillment of that desire and reacts to the actions of the protagonist (ie if they weren’t there, the story would be “the protagonist attempted x and effortlessly succeeded, the end”).

So, following from that, classic superheroes are almost always antagonists, foiling the plot-driving schemes of criminals and supervillains. James Bond is the antagonist in every one of his movies. In most RPGs, players act as antagonists in their core plot lines, because it’s simpler and less dissonant to compel players into reaction (see: the antagonist Bhaalspawn thwarting the protagonist Jon Irenicus in Baldur’s Gate 2) than give the PC a plot-driving desire that players might not actually share (see: Fallout 3’s vault dweller going out to find Liam Neeson).

That said, stories featuring multiple plots can have a character be a protagonist and antagonist at the same time, and plots with big twists and power shifts can switch around roles. In New Vegas, Benny is the protagonist and very quickly becomes an antagonist; the major factions you don’t align with become antagonists once you get the chip and make your choice. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the inquisitor is a protagonist in resolving the mage/Templar conflict and an antagonist in fighting whoever that dude is who wants to be a god.

In Prey, Morgan is first a protagonist (actively trying to save or destroy the station) with Alex and the typhoon as antagonists. When Dahl shows up, he becomes the protagonist and Morgan’s role shifts to antagonist.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

If we’re getting into technicalities, that’s not true. Protagonist / antagonist are plot-related terms. A protagonist has some desire that compels action, which puts plot into motion (ie if they weren’t there, none of the other characters would get tangled up in events), the antagonist is the person or thing(s) that presents an obstacle to the fulfillment of that desire and reacts to the actions of the protagonist (ie if they weren’t there, the story would be “the protagonist attempted x and effortlessly succeeded, the end”).

So, following from that, classic superheroes are almost always antagonists, foiling the plot-driving schemes of criminals and supervillains. James Bond is the antagonist in every one of his movies. In most RPGs, players act as antagonists in their core plot lines, because it’s simpler and less dissonant to compel players into reaction (see: the antagonist Bhaalspawn thwarting the protagonist Jon Irenicus in Baldur’s Gate 2) than give the PC a plot-driving desire that players might not actually share (see: Fallout 3’s vault dweller going out to find Liam Neeson).

That said, stories featuring multiple plots can have a character be a protagonist and antagonist at the same time, and plots with big twists and power shifts can switch around roles. In New Vegas, Benny is the protagonist and very quickly becomes an antagonist; the major factions you don’t align with become antagonists once you get the chip and make your choice. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the inquisitor is a protagonist in resolving the mage/Templar conflict and an antagonist in fighting whoever that dude is who wants to be a god.

In Prey, Morgan is first a protagonist (actively trying to save or destroy the station) with Alex and the typhoon as antagonists. When Dahl shows up, he becomes the protagonist and Morgan’s role shifts to antagonist.

it was funny when did all the tests in the intro and all the scientists got confused

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It wasn't until my final playthrough that I figured out you could subdue Dahl by temporarily removing the oxygen from his hidey-hole - that was so loving cool seeing the look on his face as he realizes you've out-manouvered him.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jerusalem posted:

It wasn't until my final playthrough that I figured out you could subdue Dahl by temporarily removing the oxygen from his hidey-hole - that was so loving cool seeing the look on his face as he realizes you've out-manouvered him.

heh, awesome. what happens when you do?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ladron posted:

heh, awesome. what happens when you do?

There's a control room opposite his location, if you go down and clear out the fan obstruction, then get into the control room and into the computer system, you can pump out all the recycled air in that section (there are e-mails lauding the length of time they've been able to just recyle air rather than replacing it) and then after roughly a minute fresh air is pumped back in. When you do it, he can spot you as you're doing it and he'll rush up to the window and start to call in your location, then starts choking and hammering at the window just glaring at you until he slowly passes out from lack of oxygen and slides down the window to the floor.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
amazing, thanks.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Now that I think of it, I wondered what the temporary air intake shutdown was for.

It was so long between my first visit to the life support area and the Dahl event that I forgot all about it and just shot him in the face with the stun gun.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I did that, then in another run-through I went into the room with him and he just kind of chilled out in there, so I tasered him.

Not really the most epic battle.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

1redflag posted:

Nice try, Corvo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Nice try, Corvo

My first run, I had him say the line asking you if you thought that would work...

Right as I got him in a chokehold.

Honestly? I rather think it did.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I'm really digging this game, but, how long does it take for phantoms to give up looking for you? I'm currently hiding under a desk with no health or medkits with an angry bastard or three outside the room mindblasting me through the window every time I poke my head up. There's a fabricator right goddamned there if I could just get to it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Stealth is not super elegant in Prey, which is its greatest weakness vis a vis design. I think once combat starts with a phantom they can't go under 5 pips and they hang around where they last saw you. Unlike Dishonored you're not automatically given a means to move out of sight quickly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phantoms do eventually lose interest over time, should only take 30-60s ish. If they're not losing interest, that probably means they can see you at least a little. Sprinting your rear end really far away and then locking a door behind you should let you lose them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The weird thing is that Dishonored guards lose interest too fast, Prey phantoms too slow. It feels like a phantom should be a little easier to fool and an actual dude a bit less so

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Should we gather for neuromods and exotic materials tonight?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
"Fantasy Prey was my initial take"

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/05/underworld-ascendant-preview

Ex-Looking Glass people, 'immersive' sim, etc.

There may still be hope for another game like this, even if it's wizards & skellingtons, and not cool alternate-future sci-fi.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hank Morgan posted:

Do you think you'll get a promotion to division head after what happened last night?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

xiansi posted:

"Fantasy Prey was my initial take"

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/05/underworld-ascendant-preview

Ex-Looking Glass people, 'immersive' sim, etc.

There may still be hope for another game like this, even if it's wizards & skellingtons, and not cool alternate-future sci-fi.

So Arx Fatalis 2? Sounds cool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Arx Fatalis on Steam for 40 cents, turned it on, played for 5 minutes and realized I am absolutely not one of those people who can play old video games.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hank Morgan posted:

Someone's not feeling well!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hello i just wanted to say that after wondering if my pc could even run this, i started playing this game through steam family sharing and as someone with a soft spot for system shock 2 this game is everything i've ever wanted from a system shock game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought Arx Fatalis on Steam for 40 cents, turned it on, played for 5 minutes and realized I am absolutely not one of those people who can play old video games.
There's a source port thing to make it work better on modern machines but I don't think that'd do anything about like, the hilariously weird jumping physics or other jank.

As such I would love a modern Arx Fatalis 2 that's up to the standards of Prey and Dishonored. Or even dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which started life as Arx 2.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I always felt Saviour Typhon and Murderous True Human both felt more "right" than the opposite, and they really do work just as well. Those doing pure runs might well consider switching up the high/low empathy pairing!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

hello i just wanted to say that after wondering if my pc could even run this, i started playing this game through steam family sharing and as someone with a soft spot for system shock 2 this game is everything i've ever wanted from a system shock game

Hard to say without knowing what your computer is like. Mine is top-end, from 2012 meaning it's pretty outdated now and it still ran really well on medium/high settings and looked great for me. The game is not super demanding, but you can't run it on a toaster.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

aniviron posted:

Hard to say without knowing what your computer is like. Mine is top-end, from 2012 meaning it's pretty outdated now and it still ran really well on medium/high settings and looked great for me. The game is not super demanding, but you can't run it on a toaster.

i mean i made that post to say that it runs and the game is awesome

my cpu is an amd athlon x4 750k and my gpu is a 750gtx ti and like, there are pretty heavy dips in some rooms and it doesn't look the prettiest, but somehow like 75% of the time the game runs near-perfectly on low and man it's a really pleasant surprise

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh huurrr durr I can reading. Yeah, I see that the problem there was that I missed a bunch of the words.

In actual productive discussion, I'm surprised the game runs that badly for you. I'm on a GTX680 and i5 3750, and can run it at medium/high with no stutters. It's the only cryengine game I have ever played that does not run horribly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it doesn't run bad though, it's insanely well-optimized, there are just some rooms where it dips to like 20fps but i can deal with it. it's just cause my cpu is pretty crappy

i think my brother gave me a better gpu i haven't installed yet so maybe i'd even see a bit of improvement if i installed that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 10, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

aniviron posted:

Oh huurrr durr I can reading. Yeah, I see that the problem there was that I missed a bunch of the words.

In actual productive discussion, I'm surprised the game runs that badly for you. I'm on a GTX680 and i5 3750, and can run it at medium/high with no stutters. It's the only cryengine game I have ever played that does not run horribly.

Big difference between that CPU / GPU and the other one having problems.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just bought and installed the game. So far, it runs super smoothly for me and I can run on high settings with no issues. The 18GB size was a great inscentive too and I still play the old System Shock games.

What should I keep in mind when first playing the game? So far the only difference in character choice between M & FM is just visual ones. What should I keep in mind when first playing this game?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Just bought and installed the game. So far, it runs super smoothly for me and I can run on high settings with no issues. The 18GB size was a great inscentive too and I still play the old System Shock games.

What should I keep in mind when first playing the game? So far the only difference in character choice between M & FM is just visual ones. What should I keep in mind when first playing this game?

All augments are good and fun, don't go with just one type.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game is going to be hard when you start off. No matter what build you do, the first couple hours can be pretty tough. It gets easier after you start to acquire some of your abilities/inventory/etc. Don't get discouraged.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, just explore, take whatever augments appeal to you and enjoy yourself. There's a good chance that by the time you finish, you'll be eager to play through it all again trying out entirely different powers/behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Stealth is important, especially early on when you don't have the weapons/skills to take on the enemies properly. The two best weapons are the shotgun and stun gun and they're what you should prioritize upgrading (shotgun first). The stun gun is insanely good against robotic enemies; it does a ton of damage to them rather than stunning them. For skill upgrades, prioritize upgrading your inventory size. Having a smaller inventory is insanely frustrating.