Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Do Hosts count as spirits with regards to werewolf powers, spirit magic and so forth, or do they have different weird interactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nessus posted:

Medieval Times owns and would be a great, if cheesy, hook for all kinds of oWoD splats. It would also allow you access to horses and medieval-style weaponry which could be useful for Garou too. Wraiths might not give a poo poo but w/e go be dead by yourselves.

Naw, the wraiths who date back to actual medieval times come, so that they can heckle, Statler and Waldorf style.

All the people who can actually hear them insist that they're hilarious.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Xinder posted:

and i know what i'm doing for my next vampire elder npc
"Steamed Hams But Everyone's A Vampire."
"No."
"Do you know de way?"
"Okay that's even worse and let me explain why."

bewilderment posted:

Do Hosts count as spirits with regards to werewolf powers, spirit magic and so forth, or do they have different weird interactions?

I'm pretty sure how it works is that the individual rat/spider spirits are, in fact, spirits. But once you've progressed to the point that you count as a Host it's past the point where those gifts would be effective.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The retainer that has to explain to his sire how some memes are racist is another important character, yes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraith's endgame involved a Void Engineer dumping it into the Labyrinth.

But, why?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slimnoid posted:

But, why?

Because Void Engineer experiments had shown that normal high explosives had no effect on the Tempest, so they wanted to see what relic explosives did. As it turns out, there aren't very many of those. Also because, uh...

White Wolf Wikia posted:

Jones was recruited into the Orphic Circle, apparently for his research was related to the Tempest and its patterns. He regularly fed intelligence back to the Void Engineers to help them deal with Haunts and Shroud-crossings.[1] He claimed to have accurately identified a regular pattern to Tempest activity which the Orphic Circle could use to time their snake person rituals for eradicating the Shroud entirely.[2]

...those dudes told him to, I guess???

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So in essence this dickbag decided "hey let's see what happens when I throw a magic-infused M80 into this swirling mass of dead people."

Mages! No sense of right or wrong.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean, what else would you do?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dare someone to put their mouth on it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NOT drop the apocalyptic M80 into the swirling mass of dead people?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At some point, apparently, Voormas, a mage whose job title was "Grand Harvester of Souls," which honestly tells you everything you need to know about his stance on the whole "no sense of right or wrong" thing, put a curse on the whole concept of necromancy so that sooner or later every group of necromancers would eventually get around to trying to tear down the boundaries between life and death.

Presumably he found doing it this way easier than lifting a dang finger himself.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rand Brittain posted:

At some point, apparently, Voormas, a mage whose job title was "Grand Harvester of Souls," which honestly tells you everything you need to know about his stance on the whole "no sense of right or wrong" thing, put a curse on the whole concept of necromancy so that sooner or later every group of necromancers would eventually get around to trying to tear down the boundaries between life and death.

Presumably he found doing it this way easier than lifting a dang finger himself.

I mean...

That's actually kinda cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

It was still so odd to me to see a random NPC from a not-great book become the world-breaker in Mage. Of course the same thing happened with Zhyzhak in Werewolf, now that I think about it. Both of them in the 'collections of places the splat hangs out at' books too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hate Zhyzhak is a walking stereotype. BDSM Werewolf Queen who dresses in straps and has a whip that inflicts all of the pain and is also the chosen of the evil god of war? And she's destined to kill Albrecht because sure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Slimnoid posted:

To be fair that's not exactly where he dropped it.

He dropped it directly on Hell, which is located in heart of the metaphysical concept of non-existence. Which of course is much more intelligent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I hate Zhyzhak is a walking stereotype. BDSM Werewolf Queen who dresses in straps and has a whip that inflicts all of the pain and is also the chosen of the evil god of war? And she's destined to kill Albrecht because sure.

Don't forget ALWAYS SHOUTING.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

loving coward

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

bewilderment posted:

No, they're not spirits at all. There's not many powers that specifically target hosts, at the most you get things like Boundary Ward, which lets you include hosts among things to sense but isn't something that specifies hosts. The Predators book has a good section about them, if you want more information.

Area of effect spells tend to be the most useful, since swarming is a standard tactic (which is why Hunters in Darkness get Influences, to ideally Mass Create and catch them all).

nofather fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 10, 2018

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Xinder posted:

The retainer that has to explain to his sire how some memes are racist is another important character, yes.

And then it's a few months to explain why you can't call people "darkies" or "Orientals" anymore...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I'd rather drop the turbofuck M80 onto something that deserves it. Like wherever the gently caress KotE came from.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mors Rattus posted:

Because Void Engineer experiments had shown that normal high explosives had no effect on the Tempest, so they wanted to see what relic explosives did. As it turns out, there aren't very many of those. Also because, uh...

...those dudes told him to, I guess???

Oh wow, I haven't seen the Millennial -> snake person filter in ages.

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I was a Wraith, I'd abuse my powers to go watch movies and plays and poo poo without having to pay.

A ghost critic, now that's a concept.

I assume all theaters are full of wraiths and changelings looking for cheap Pathos/Glamour.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh wow, I haven't seen the Millennial -> snake person filter in ages.
It's pretty telling that I didn't even question the phrase "snake person rituals", isn't it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Slimnoid posted:

I'd rather drop the turbofuck M80 onto something that deserves it. Like wherever the gently caress KotE came from.

As crappy as KotE was, Howl of the Devil-Tiger was an awesome splatbook.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's pretty telling that I didn't even question the phrase "snake person rituals", isn't it.

Hey, it seems to me that the extent to which the oWoD is relatively devoid of snake person rituals is a bug, not a feature.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yawgmoth posted:

:same:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yawgmoth posted:

I raised an eyebrow and then carried on because that probably made sense in setting.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Wr20 backers should check their email.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Yawgmoth posted:

Not even that for me - I parsed the extension, then thought, no, snake person makes more sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wow, Wraith20 starts out with literally sixty pages of comics.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Wow, Wraith20 starts out with literally sixty pages of comics.

I figured it was from the original, given the credits and art. It's not?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nofather posted:

I figured it was from the original, given the credits and art. It's not?

It's not from the second edition, anyway.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

It's a reprint of the Wraith preview artbook from 1994.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Nessus posted:

Medieval Times owns and would be a great, if cheesy, hook for all kinds of oWoD splats. It would also allow you access to horses and medieval-style weaponry which could be useful for Garou too. Wraiths might not give a poo poo but w/e go be dead by yourselves.

It's also a great base of operations for a Hardholder in Apocalypse World. Back on topic, I'd play a Hunter cell located out of a Medieval Times in a heartbeat.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Is it before the table of contents? Because that's not an unreasonable question of a WoD book, even though it loving should be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I had actually forgotten I had that plugin installed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Is it before the table of contents? Because that's not an unreasonable question of a WoD book, even though it loving should be.

It is!

Okay, so it's an old artbook, which makes more sense from a budget perspective, although it still seems like madness in terms of size and weight.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There seem to be many juicy population entries awaiting, from a real quick ctrl-f.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my god.

quote:

Okay, so it's an old artbook, which makes more sense from a budget perspective, although it still seems like madness in terms of size and weight.

It would've been a cool little extra but stuffing it in the book seems excessive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Book seems to own, didn't spot any Swedracula-induced entries about how using Inhabit turns the frogs gay.

MonsieurChoc, do you work for Orpheus?

e: Other than minor formatting errors the only error seems to be that they forgot to include Connaissance, the Mirrorlands Arcanos. Since they refer to it repeatedly I assume they did not just say "This is what they call Argos."

Nessus fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wait, poo poo.....Wraith shipped? This is entirely against everything I know about physics and theology.