Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Laterite posted:

David Angell probably wishes he skipped 9-11 too.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Laterite posted:

Yikes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Laterite posted:

goldmine

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Laterite posted:

Oh I feel very bad for laughing at that

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I rewatched this episode tonight due to your post and it was choice. Knowing that this is coming, all the lovely comments Frasier and Niles are making about the restaurant just look horrible. Even though they're presented as laugh lines with the laugh track going. It really fucks with the audience in a good way. Also, third episode of the series, and this lays down a major theme for the next 11 seasons. Frasier and Niles are lovely people. Their snobbery is played for laughs but it's still a basically lovely thing.

Don't forget the scene that played under the credits. It's hours later and the restaurant is obviously about to close but Frasier and Niles are still sitting at the table, obviously shamed by their father's words but unable to suck it up and eat their meals.

Martin's denunciation wouldn't work nearly as well if it wasn't for that scene. In their hearts, they know he's right.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I liked the episode where Frasier enters a sailboat race and takes last because he got food poisoning so he had to keep stopping on shore to poo poo in the woods and wipe with leaves.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I stopped being able to be impressed by the show after niles + daphne got together. It was just so friggin contrived. I’m on season 10 but it’s seemed like such a slog to keep going. Is it worth finishing?

I loved the show all the way through, but TBH you can probably skip half the episodes after Niles and Daphne get together. Also, definitely the ones with Gertrude Moon. Those were painful to watch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s a large decline when Daphne’s family, Julia and Kirby become regular characters. Which are all in later seasons.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't forget the scene that played under the credits. It's hours later and the restaurant is obviously about to close but Frasier and Niles are still sitting at the table, obviously shamed by their father's words but unable to suck it up and eat their meals.

Martin's denunciation wouldn't work nearly as well if it wasn't for that scene. In their hearts, they know he's right.

They're just such loving babies. I've visited people and been served food or drink I didn't like and ate it and complimented it because I was a guest. The food at that place can't be so bad if it's such an institution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny given iirc, that was a folksy steak place, which would now be trendy as all hell. Frasier and Niles were always somehow more old-fashioned than Martin in being snobby, before wealthy people started desperately trying to be relevant rather than exclusive.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda funny given iirc, that was a folksy steak place, which would now be trendy as all hell. Frasier and Niles were always somehow more old-fashioned than Martin in being snobby, before wealthy people started desperately trying to be relevant rather than exclusive.

I already made that observation earlier in this thread dammit!

But yea, it's not even that the restaurant is trying to be folksy that would make it insanely trendy in today's world, it's that it's in a re-purposed sawmill. That would be an insanely awesome place to put a steakhouse today.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Not a big fan of tie-cutting, though. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Accretionist posted:

Not a big fan of tie-cutting, though. :colbert:

Yeah, I'd be pissed off if the waitstaff just cut off my tie without any warning.

Also I'm convinced Frasier should've ended with Daphne and Niles hooking up. There's really nowhere to go after that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tumble posted:

I already made that observation earlier in this thread dammit!

But yea, it's not even that the restaurant is trying to be folksy that would make it insanely trendy in today's world, it's that it's in a re-purposed sawmill. That would be an insanely awesome place to put a steakhouse today.

That's probably what I was recalling, sorry. Similar point that it's almost a funny little period piece given how, ironically, Frasier and Niles could actually be ahead of the curve if they were a little more open-minded.

I feel they coulda done more with Niles and Daphne if they'd explored Daphne's personality and attitudes a bit more beyond 'has a hosed up childhood and family' and 'is middle class British'. Even her brother Simon has more interesting personality traits there than she does; interesting that he uses big fancy words, perhaps to appear smarter or to mock Frasier, but he always uses them correctly. (might go with how Roz and other Americans think he sounds classy)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Thought what really killed it was the whole “getting fat” story to cover her real pregnancy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're just such loving babies. I've visited people and been served food or drink I didn't like and ate it and complimented it because I was a guest. The food at that place can't be so bad if it's such an institution.

They aren't guests though, they're paying customers.

Take some young hip friends to Olive Garden, or hell jist even mention the olive garden, and watch this behavior happen irl.

Though it's also imo a sendup of the standard sitcom wisecracks and insults, which are almost a genre convention but would be extremely tedious if they were real people

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Olive Garden has the salad and bread sticks.

Being dragged to Chile's... I really tried to like it.

Edit: kept my mouth shut, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dago Denny's is awesome. :colbert:

Never ending pasta isn't as good as never ending shrimp at Red Lobster, but smashing breadsticks into vodka sauce until you can barely walk out for $20 is a deal.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Take some young hip friends to Olive Garden, or hell jist even mention the olive garden, and watch this behavior happen irl.

Though it's also imo a sendup of the standard sitcom wisecracks and insults, which are almost a genre convention but would be extremely tedious if they were real people

It's a place where Martin has been going for years and is a regular. He's trying to bring them into his world. They're guests.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You must be one of those :byodood: THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT types

a sexual elk posted:

Thought what really killed it was the whole “getting fat” story to cover her real pregnancy

Yea, looking back on this, it comes across as really terrible how much they mock her for a slight weight gain.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yea but it's a loving steakhouse. You get wedge salads and baked potatoes and steaks. It's delicious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They'd eat a worm if they gave it a fancy French name.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tumble posted:

Yea but it's a loving steakhouse. You get wedge salads and baked potatoes and steaks. It's delicious.

Same except red sauce italian place, spaghetti, breadsticks, and salad

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a sexual elk posted:

Nah that was the best part

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They even made a joke about how much weight she'd lost after she had the baby.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I barely watch this show and drat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kelsey grammer's actual dad just sort of shifting uncomfortably in his chair

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

kelsey grammer's actual dad just sort of shifting uncomfortably in his chair

His dad was murdered. So was his sister, in a separate incident. His life has been hosed up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

coffin then

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was it his sister or dad who was lost at sea while diving, implied to have been eaten by a shark

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Calaveron posted:

Was it his sister or dad who was lost at sea while diving, implied to have been eaten by a shark

I expect to hear that he had a cousin who was killed by a falling piano.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Calaveron posted:

That was both his half brothers who died in a scuba accident. I honestly don’t blame him for becoming an alcoholic pill popper.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
His father was murdered and his little sister was raped and murdered. wtf

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Le Cigare Volant!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And apparently he was good friends with the producer that died in 9/11.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

get OOUUTT!!!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

John Mahoney was only in his 50's during most of the show's run. :aaa:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think not actually casting super old dudes to play super old dudes for ongoing series tends to be a good idea, because they y'know, die.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Le Cigare Volant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A decrease in friction between Frasier and Martin over the first four or five seasons makes sense. When they move in they're still just this side of estranged, Frasier just left Boston to get away from his ex-wife that cheated on him, and Marin's wife died like two years ago. They begin with a lot of tension and frustration, but as their relationship matures and they become better able to communicate with each other, there's less serious fighting. I always thought it was a great example of how a relationship naturally evolves.

Niles and Daphne needed to get together but it probably should have been in the series finale, not three seasons beforehand.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dago Denny's is awesome. :colbert:

Never ending pasta isn't as good as never ending shrimp at Red Lobster, but smashing breadsticks into vodka sauce until you can barely walk out for $20 is a deal.
This is a racial slur in the same vein as any other. Not as incendiary, of course, but still the same thing. Probably don't want to just toss that around willy nilly unless you're used to using real colorful language for your black and Chinese friends.