Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the people who cashed out to softbank, including kalanick and google ventures, did so at a 45 bil valuation. the additional 1.25b cash infusion was at 69/72 bil valuation. yes it's stupid.

also the whole practice of saying valuation = new money * new shares / (new shares + old shares) is total bullshit as we know anyway. the new shares are almost always loaded with ratchets and covenants and such that makes them worth anywhere from 1-5x common stock that employees and whoever else get.
Do we know anything about what sort of equity Google got? Like, does it have similar covenants etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

On the other hand, so was this.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm sure in Levandowski's mind all of the waymo IP was his so why shouldn't he be able to take it and go work for another place thats paying him more money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, so was this.

not an app, i'm sorry, doesn't count

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like i mentioned that article's old so "this year" was 2017 lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/961873006891974658

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
musk's ice cream machines is kind of funny in the way its trying to transfer psuedo-benefits used for salaried bourgeois computer touchers in their sinecures onto physical laborers that are being squeezed and underpaid

like musk is this great industrialist but he only knows how to manage spreadsheet factories

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
guess Facebook changed a thing?

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/961947585199079424

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

they added downvotes for some subset of users

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if reddit, but facebook, by way of disqus, before they removed the feature

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

learning from past mistakes is impossible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol:

quote:

[Logging off from Facebook] is not a sustainable answer. Facebook is the only way for a large number of essential connections for a large number of people--functions ranging from family, work to political participation.

if making this change is such a big deal then that should be a loving wakeup call that maybe people have gotten too reliant on one particular platform

"facebook is the only way" for gently caress sake

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
aren't they talking about the slimming of the feed to favor like ~15 friends and family members instead of "literally everyone you follow"? not the dislike testing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Suspicious Dish posted:

waymo hosed up when they didnt sue levandowski. they thought they could sue uber and then they just fired him which i dont think waymo was expecting.

turns out he's a gigantic selfish jerk and yet he made out with millions of dollars oops

they did sue him. it’s in closed binding arbitration which lol rip andy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

aren't they talking about the slimming of the feed to favor like ~15 friends and family members instead of "literally everyone you follow"? not the dislike testing

I think they're trying to show more of what actual humans post over the 100000 identical lovely procedural dessert videos people like or share but there's no way to know for sure because facebook refuses to tell people what they're doing and also refuses to let users customize their own feeds because that might interfere with promoted content

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

maybe, does it matter?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
when I logged in to my Facebook app on my phone it asked me if I thought Facebook was good for the world

what in the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

facebook is thirsty as gently caress tho

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

I think they're trying to show more of what actual humans post over the 100000 identical lovely procedural dessert videos people like or share but there's no way to know for sure because facebook refuses to tell people what they're doing and also refuses to let users customize their own feeds because that might interfere with promoted content

i like the videos that are a static image with little wisps of polygons bouncing around to throw off the detection of static images, the normal way humans talk to humans

i was getting a full page dark overlay when i tried to visit last, i guess it was that question that couldn't load for whatever stupid reason

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol:

if making this change is such a big deal then that should be a loving wakeup call that maybe people have gotten too reliant on one particular platform

"facebook is the only way" for gently caress sake

face book is too big to fail

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

institutions that are too big to fail should be executed instead

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
in many ways things like facebook and google are too big to fail

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

the institution of babbyphoto sharing and wishing your extended family happy birthdays is the underpinning of society

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. jesus christ, its just facebook

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
much like people have built youtube empires, many people have built facebook empires and loving with the algorithmic feed means their posts might not show up and ruin their numbers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cool

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its SEO all the way down

but now they really want you to pay

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the only algorithm I want facebook to run on my news feed is a loving chronological sort, but apparently that’s too hard

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Soricidus posted:

the only algorithm I want facebook to run on my news feed is a loving chronological sort, but apparently that’s too hard

your puny normier brain is not equipped to handle such wealth of unprocessed information. appreciate the hard work of our techbro gods that went into making it digestible to your inferior mind.

real talk: what would happen if FB is declared a utility?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the panacea posted:

your puny normier brain is not equipped to handle such wealth of unprocessed information. appreciate the hard work of our techbro gods that went into making it digestible to your inferior mind.

facebook with eminent domain powers.

:shudder:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the panacea posted:

nothing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

facebook is thirsty as gently caress tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the institution of babbyphoto sharing and wishing your extended family happy birthdays is the underpinning of society
#kony2012

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Facebook can easily fail and repercussions would be nil. it’s only used by grandmas and Russian bots anyways

google would be way more dangerous and too big because of google mail in particular, search part is easily replaced

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PrBeep is right; phones were just like facebook

i remember when i picked up the handset after a while, id got a series of rings & then id slam the receiver down but then i got my neighbor telling me to turn the music down. slam the receiver twice & its james asking where im at. slam it thrice, mom asking if im alright

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Xaris posted:

Facebook can easily fail and repercussions would be nil. it’s only used by grandmas and Russian bots anyways

google would be way more dangerous and too big because of google mail in particular, search part is easily replaced

i suspect there are other tech companies capable of providing webmail

altho looking at the competition, loosing google maps would be a major setback

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fits my needs posted:

when I logged in to my Facebook app on my phone it asked me if I thought Facebook was good for the world

what in the gently caress

well? did u say it was good??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

where would they go, if we were to loose them?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if google scholar ever went away i would be sad. it's good at finding papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i suspect there are other tech companies capable of providing webmail

mapquest was surprisingly good for a bit after 2010, and had some nice extra bits like routing you on least gas usage once you entered ur car's city and highway mpg and other little niceties like that.

but recently they took that poo poo away so w/e