Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Clearly it is Crusader Kings VR:

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/961910990320304128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

paradox better not release a bronze age game and totally steal my mod's thunder. maybe I should work on it faster.

Anyway I'm actually not uninterested in the Triumph game too, Age of Wonders is great.

Age of Wonders III is great, but I wish it had more scenarios. I've played the campaigns and I don't have enough imagination for the random maps, so I don't really play it anymore despite enjoying the mechanics.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Someone offered Toady One money for the name/licence way back when. It was before that ultra light Dwarves game came out from Paradox. It's possible they wanted to slap the DF name on that, so they may have already tried this.

Yeah it's not like nobody has offered. He's just not interested in selling.

I mean presumably he's probably let it go if someone swooped in with a "Microsoft buys Minecraft" amount of money just because it's basically be financially irresponsible NOT to, but DF isn't quite big enough for anyone that rich to be interested.

I'm wondering if one of the announcements is going to be something with the WoD setting. They've partnered with Obsidian before - a Bloodlines sequel would be cool (although I'm not sure how many of the old Troika people are still at Obsidian at this point)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i can't imagine obsidian is champing at the bit to go back to working on other people's properties now that they've got one of their own successful enough to keep them going without having to get jerked around by IP holders

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's not like nobody has offered. He's just not interested in selling.

I mean presumably he's probably let it go if someone swooped in with a "Microsoft buys Minecraft" amount of money just because it's basically be financially irresponsible NOT to, but DF isn't quite big enough for anyone that rich to be interested.

I'm wondering if one of the announcements is going to be something with the WoD setting. They've partnered with Obsidian before - a Bloodlines sequel would be cool (although I'm not sure how many of the old Troika people are still at Obsidian at this point)

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are at Obsidian right now working on a big rpg for Take 2(?). Two of the three that made the "troika". Definitely not WoD or Paradox related though.

I assume there was some rough spot or disagreement between them anyway, given they found a new publisher for Pillars 2.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I will be Very Sad if the new game isn't Victoria 3.

I still love Vicky 2 but it's really showing its age with it missing all the QoL features that CK2/EUIV/HOI4 have.

Then again, the last time a new game wasn't Victoria 3 it was Stellaris and that's a game I really enjoy.

edit: I really, really love Vicky 2 though. It's the only Paradox game I've played where the wars are more than just "I want to paint the map" and it's nearly impossible to min-max the game.

I think probably because the focus of the game is on getting to the top of the Great Powers list and you don't need wars of conquest to do that.

I can't resit map-painting in CK2/EUIV so I always end up doing it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 9, 2018

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I just want Rome 2.

Rome 2 is usually the game that they like to tease us about not making, so the fact they used Vicky 3 instead makes me wonder :thunk:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Serious question: I never played Rome. What made it so interesting? Or is it just kind of a running gag and people don't actually care that much about a sequel?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's like EU but with a bunch more internal politics right? I think gameplay-wise most people actually aren't so hot on it but it has some really neat concepts.

I think 90% of the appeal for people is the setting though, at least that's why I'd want a sequel. (though hopefully covering the whole old world this time rather than only the Roman world)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Serious question: I never played Rome. What made it so interesting? Or is it just kind of a running gag and people don't actually care that much about a sequel?

Rome combined the character-driven intrigue of a proto-CK2 with a robust political system allowing for a wide variety in government, realistic civil war mechanics, and party parliamentary politics. These things combined into the hilarious clusterfuck that was the Crete LP that probably half the posters in this thread participated in.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The last time I was excited for game with "Rome 2" in it, things didn't go so well.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ They'd almost HAVE to use a new name. I still like Vae Victis.

I'll also settle for a fantasy game to be Paradoxes MOM the way Stellaris is their MOO.

Random maps required tho.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Funky Valentine posted:

The last time I was excited for game with "Rome 2" in it, things didn't go so well.
Is this a Total War reference or something else I cant think of right now?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this a Total War reference or something else I cant think of right now?

Pretty sure it's a Total War reference. I hear TW: Rome 2 is actually good now, though.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I assume there was some rough spot or disagreement between them anyway, given they found a new publisher for Pillars 2.

Possibly, though its just as likely they were simply offered a better deal (IE: More money).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I thought the only reason people loved it so much was the famous Crete legislative Let's Play with the dreaded :argh: Populist Party :argh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It was in many ways a better EU3 only with a couple of really bad mechanics which nearly everyone hated (most of Europe being uncolonised provinces caused a lot of issues, and the trading system was fiddly and annoying)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

So, tabletop version?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also Wiz made a mod (for the LP?) that made it substantially more fun, so if you get it on a sale or something to see what the fuss is about don't even bother playing vanilla.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Personally I just loving love history of the Roman Republic and using the CK-style character-based approach is the best way to make a game out of the era. It's me, I'm the guy who played the poo poo out of vanilla EU:R.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would legitimately play a Paradox developed SimEarth remake/spiritual sequel.

:same:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Obfuscation posted:

Personally I just loving love history of the Roman Republic and using the CK-style character-based approach is the best way to make a game out of the era. It's me, I'm the guy who played the poo poo out of vanilla EU:R.

:agreed: it gives a much more meaningful push-pull to the politics - you really ought to give your best general a triumph and a cushy promotion to keep him happy, but he might use that glory as a springboard to deciding he's the guy who should be running Rome.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cantorsdust posted:

These things combined into the hilarious clusterfuck that was the Crete LP that probably half the posters in this thread participated in.

I don't know if people have been getting name changes or if I just don't remember some of them, but I don't recall seeing THAT many old faces around here (by now).

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

axeil posted:

Honestly I thought the only reason people loved it so much was the famous Crete legislative Let's Play with the dreaded :argh: Populist Party :argh:

Is there a link to this? I love reading about these shenanigans.

I've only played a little bit of Rome because I started as the Seleucids without playing the tutorial, so it probably wasn't ideal circumstances. Keep meaning to give it another bash, and I'll definitely play it in preparation if the sequel is what's announced

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Not the Messiah posted:

Unless something just recently changed, it was never put on the LP Archive because it would be a nightmare to try and do that, so you need forum archives.

I never played Rome, and the Roman era isn't really one of my favourite periods of history, but I actually really want a new Rome game, I think it could be a lot of fun.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like Rome 2 would be kind of perfect right now too; they've learned a shitload from EUIV and CK2, but making EUV or CK3 would be way too soon.

So if they combined elements of both in a new package, with all the lessons from those two, it could really be something cool and special; dynastic politics extended into republican politics with a less abstracted combat system.

I mean, it could work. And it would probably be better than Sengoku 2?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I just hope it's not CK or EU. I want something fresh.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Not the Messiah posted:

I've only played a little bit of Rome because I started as the Seleucids without playing the tutorial, so it probably wasn't ideal circumstances. Keep meaning to give it another bash, and I'll definitely play it in preparation if the sequel is what's announced

Here you go. You'll need archives, and there's probably going to be missing images here and there, but the debates, arguments, and hilarity remain. Keep an eye out for The Saurus! He was Trump before Trump was a thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tomn posted:

Here you go. You'll need archives, and there's probably going to be missing images here and there, but the debates, arguments, and hilarity remain. Keep an eye out for The Saurus! He was Trump before Trump was a thing.

he also got banned for a racist meltdown during the election lmao

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm dipping my toes into the ocean that is Victoria 2 and I've run into a couple of questions.

I don't know why the colors disappeared when I uploaded the picture to imgur, but this was supposed to be the diplomatic view.

I'm Bavaria, 1852. Through industrialization and prestige gathering I've made it to GP#7, so I'm currently just keeping my army at its force limit and trying to build/subsidize factories and railroads as they become available. The Liberals just took control in an election so I have taxes as low as possible and am running a profit through tariffs alone.

So, factories. I've been investing in them as soon as they become available - I have 8 or 9 running now, and the entirety of Bavaria is crossed by railroads right now. Is that a good policy or should I be more choosy when it comes to factories? I've kept them subsidized as best as I could when I was able - the liberals just took control of the government with their stupid laissez faire policy. No idea how that will turn out yet.

Also, is there any other way to make my influence with surrounding nations grow faster? My goal is to form Germany, but Prussia and Austria keep kicking my ambassadors out of my neighbors - I've gotten a couple of a nations to friendly, but every time I get close to 100 influence to remove them from a sphere or add them to my own, the other two GP's either ban my ambassadors or poo poo talk me to my allies. It's infuriating when I have 98 influence with say, Saxony, and suddenly Austria gets me kicked out.

I'm getting a better feel for the game now that I'm in it a bit. I've been using my national focus to increase beauracrats and clergy - now that I have 100% admin in all my regions, and 2% clergy, I'm focusing on clerks.

Final question (for now) - aristrocrats. I see the RGO aristrocrat percentage next to the admin efficiency - what is a good number for aristocrats? They've all been hovering around 1%, but I don't know if that's optimal.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lucas Archer posted:

I'm dipping my toes into the ocean that is Victoria 2 and I've run into a couple of questions.

I don't know why the colors disappeared when I uploaded the picture to imgur, but this was supposed to be the diplomatic view.

I'm Bavaria, 1852. Through industrialization and prestige gathering I've made it to GP#7, so I'm currently just keeping my army at its force limit and trying to build/subsidize factories and railroads as they become available. The Liberals just took control in an election so I have taxes as low as possible and am running a profit through tariffs alone.

So, factories. I've been investing in them as soon as they become available - I have 8 or 9 running now, and the entirety of Bavaria is crossed by railroads right now. Is that a good policy or should I be more choosy when it comes to factories? I've kept them subsidized as best as I could when I was able - the liberals just took control of the government with their stupid laissez faire policy. No idea how that will turn out yet.

Also, is there any other way to make my influence with surrounding nations grow faster? My goal is to form Germany, but Prussia and Austria keep kicking my ambassadors out of my neighbors - I've gotten a couple of a nations to friendly, but every time I get close to 100 influence to remove them from a sphere or add them to my own, the other two GP's either ban my ambassadors or poo poo talk me to my allies. It's infuriating when I have 98 influence with say, Saxony, and suddenly Austria gets me kicked out.

I'm getting a better feel for the game now that I'm in it a bit. I've been using my national focus to increase beauracrats and clergy - now that I have 100% admin in all my regions, and 2% clergy, I'm focusing on clerks.

Final question (for now) - aristrocrats. I see the RGO aristrocrat percentage next to the admin efficiency - what is a good number for aristocrats? They've all been hovering around 1%, but I don't know if that's optimal.

On influence: There are 3 ways to increase your influence gain rate: Tech, Opinion, and Investments. I cant recall the tech group that improves influence but i believe its in the commerce section. Raising your opinion high gives you a bonus to influence with the country.

Investments you can access by just clicking on another counties province. From here you can build railroads and factories in said country. This not only gives a bonus, it also reduce the amount of influence other counties gain in our benefactor if you've dump more cash in than them.

Ultimately though you might just have to beat the poo poo outta austria in a war to get them to back down.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

One point about influence is that influence is always limited - it's sometimes possible to score an influence coup by throwing a trickle of influence at some unrelated country you don't care about, forcing your opponent to divide their attention while you pump as much as you can into your REAL target after they're nice and distracted.

That being said if you're a German nation trying to compete for influence in Germany against both Austria and Prussia, both of whom rightly regard Germany as critical to their interests, yeah, you might need to just go to war because they ain't giving up their key territories easily. Fortunately there's a CB specifically for Germans to beat up other Germans to steal influence.

Also waiting until the last minute to boot you out is just pro play, it forces you to waste as much time and influence possible so that the controller can maintain their grip with minimum cost and effort. The AI kinda has an unfair advantage in that regard since unlike a human player it won't accidentally forget to boot you out at the last moment.

StashAugustine posted:

he also got banned for a racist meltdown during the election lmao

I am completely unsurprised.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Thanks for the influence information. I'm going to have to wait to go to war with either of them though - both Prussia and I just got into a war (on the same side) against Belgium. I got to see firsthand how much more powerful the Prussian army was compared to mine. Austria isn't as bad according to the rankings, but still much higher than me. I'm going to try and bide my time, build up my tech and units (just unlocked engineers - good for sieges, right?), and wait until hopefully they get into a slugging contest with each other. Until then, the web of alliances in the midst of the low countries means if I go to war with anyone right now, either Prussia, France or Austria will line up against me - sometimes two of them. drat.

I'll just have to accept I'm late to the influence game so it'll be an uphill battle.

Tomn posted:

That being said if you're a German nation trying to compete for influence in Germany against both Austria and Prussia, both of whom rightly regard Germany as critical to their interests, yeah, you might need to just go to war because they ain't giving up their key territories easily. Fortunately there's a CB specifically for Germans to beat up other Germans to steal influence.
I haven't seen this. Is it unlocked through tech/time?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

I haven't seen this. Is it unlocked through tech/time?

It’s unlocked via the Nationalism & Imperialism cultural tech.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

disjoe posted:

It’s unlocked via the Nationalism & Imperialism cultural tech.
Well that's convenient. I'm currently researching that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Well that's convenient. I'm currently researching that.

Keep in mind that Prussia gets to use it, too. It’s specifically there to simulate Prussia pushing Austria’s poo poo in to dominate Germany. Even if you don’t plan to fight Prussia, plan for them fighting you. Don’t forget about mobilisation; techs that increase the size of your mobilisation pool can be very powerful, and it’s a valid strategy to have the regular army mostly consist of artillery and a little cavalry that you can plug into your conscript hordes to give them real oompf come a war.

Note that fancy units usually don’t decide a war; they’re nice to have, but the bulk of the fighting, dying, and killing is going to be down to plain old infantry backed by artillery. Techs that improve the base importance of either in battle are much more important than unlocking new unit types. Machine guns in particular is a key tech if you can pick it up before your enemies, and unlocking gas allows truly absurdly lop-sided battles if your enemy doesn’t have gas masks. Be sure to keep current in military tactics, too, that adds significantly to Defense.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
You know that as a monarchy, you can just kick out whatever party won the elections and install the one you want, right?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has there been any word/progress made on that Martian colonization game that Paradox is producing? The launch of the Falcon Heavy got me thinking about it again!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has there been any word/progress made on that Martian colonization game that Paradox is producing? The launch of the Falcon Heavy got me thinking about it again!

It's released on March 15th, and you can read the Dev Diaries here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Lucas Archer posted:

I at least have an answer to that. Vic2 saves screenshots as bmp files, which get washed out on imgur. You have to manually convert them to jpg or png before upload for them to come out right.