Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kanine posted:

this, unironically (but with more autonomous regions for colonized and oppressed groups)

edit: as in allow more native americans and black people to assert self determination you dummies

Wait so they take half of Connecticut to make a Metro NY thing, but leave northern Jersey intact?
That don't make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grape posted:

Wait so they take half of Connecticut to make a Metro NY thing, but leave northern Jersey intact?

this map is hastily written and from the relatively static borders of the northeast i'm going to guess that's where the author is from

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
I'm the state of Jersey that doesn't get to be new anymore. Also Yoopers get a state WTF

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Litchfield county, more New York area than Hoboken apparently.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Achernar posted:

I'm the state of Jersey that doesn't get to be new anymore.

They have an irredentist claim on a Channel Island.

Kind of like the Macedonia thing with Greece.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kanine posted:

this, unironically (but with more autonomous regions for colonized and oppressed groups)

edit: as in allow more native americans and black people to assert self determination you dummies

Man even in this alt-timeline Indiana's flag still sucks, just flip the blue to red and you're done.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ArchRanger posted:

Man even in this alt-timeline Indiana's flag still sucks, just flip the blue to red and you're done.

what are you talking about indiana is definitely in the top ten least worst flags in the current USA

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Divorced And Curious posted:

what are you talking about indiana is definitely in the top ten least worst flags in the current USA

like it ain't virginia or georgia or mississippi but I don't know if I'd say anything good about it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grape posted:

it's because in this alternate reality connecticut had a sectarian conflict over the sox vs the yankees so the two groups had to be separated into autonomous regions to stop more violence

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kanine posted:

it's because in this alternate reality connecticut had a sectarian conflict over the sox vs the yankees so the two groups had to be separated into autonomous regions to stop more violence

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The A's don't even get Alameda. That's sad as hell.

The Mets don't even get Queens. That's sad as hell.

Also I guess there are Yankees/Sox/Cardinals fans everywhere, gross.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kanine posted:

I've long referred to Connecticut as "Baseball Bosnia".

And as for thread content...
https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/finding-the-true-border-between-yankee-and-red-sox-nation-using-facebook-data/

Grape fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 10, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Anyone in NC who roots for the yankees should be killed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
generally being an A's or raiders fans signals that you really hate SF

dunno how it'll hold up once the raiders move into vegas though

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Until the Giants suck for a while and the A's are good, although maybe that's been broken since my childhood. During the Canseco years Giants weren't huge though they did have a decent fan base, but A's were really popular for a long time.

Raiders though, it was mostly a class/age thing when I was growing up. Poorer, older (mostly white) working class folks were the core Raiders fans along with some really young people. Middle/Upper class were pretty big 49ers fans, but again that could have been that 49ers were generally better. Raiders games in the late 90's were a bit of a trip, and the whole stadium smelled like weed the few times I went to Monday night games. The odd age brackets were similar to going to a Metallica concert - a shitload of people in their 40's and 50's and then a bunch of teenagers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wonder how the map would look today really. This one was data from 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

There are still many many Raiders fans in Los Angeles. There's no helping some people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't get this map. How is that blob west of Riga a land border region?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

What the hell kind of definition of 'maritime border' makes jurisdictions with literal seaports not 'maritime border regions'?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Peanut President posted:

Anyone in NC who roots for the yankees should be killed.

While I agree, there are a lot of transplants in and around Cary so it's understandable how that's happened.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't get this map. How is that blob west of Riga a land border region?

Why are some landlocked regions marked as maritime borders?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fader Movitz posted:

Probably big rivers

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dont be mean to me posted:

What the hell kind of definition of 'maritime border' makes jurisdictions with literal seaports not 'maritime border regions'?

I suppose it's regions whose territorial waters touch another country's territorial waters.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk what the use of that map is but it's pretty clearly going by some vague idea of proximity, not by whether a thing is literally on the border. Hence small countries are chock full of border regions and big ports that are at a distance from foreign landmass are not.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's a map of regions as defined by the EU's regional development plan. Depending on what category you're grouped into you are able to lay claim on various subsidies and grants, so under certain circumstances it can be pretty attractive for the regions of their respective national governments to be classed “maritime“ even if they're not really

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Like the opposite of the ship tax. Got it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I bet all of those Maritime border regions are full of admiralty courts with gold fringe flags, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
NUTS 3 regions

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

NUTS 3 regions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_of_Territorial_Units_for_Statistics

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay I can see how all of Slovakia is a border region, but how is Central Bohemia? Do they count Prague as a separate country? (they probably should).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Where is Mets territory?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where is Mets territory?

Literally nowhere, not a single ZIP code area registered a plurality for the Mets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay I can see how all of Slovakia is a border region, but how is Central Bohemia? Do they count Prague as a separate country? (they probably should).

It's not, the map is incorrect.

Fader Movitz posted:

Regions with a majority of population living within 50km of the sea are considered maritime even if they don't have a coastline.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

What the hell is up with Lynchburg, Virginia? Are they just weirdly into the Nats or something?

Also I'd love to see an updated one, too. I think the Nats have been expanding their fan base a bit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quorum posted:

What the hell is up with Lynchburg, Virginia? Are they just weirdly into the Nats or something?

Also I'd love to see an updated one, too. I think the Nats have been expanding their fan base a bit.
That's Arrington, VA and a few other outer suburbs of Lynchburg, and that red is the Red Sox (by fractions of a percent over Yankees).

Much of the US is a nearly even split between Yankees and Red Sox taking up 30-40% of the team affiliation, usually followed by a vaguely nearby team in third place (in that case, the Braves). Probably has something to do with what teams the stations on people's satellite/cable systems will cover the most.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html Remember, the original page does you pan around and drill down to see the first 3 teams for each!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

France is basically the America of Europe. They even lost in Vietnam and have a long history of playing world police. Also they think they're exceptional and unique while having a lot less to back it up than the USA.

Man, what. The American political system didn't pop up out of thin air in 1776. It's because French nerds* had been sitting around thinking of new ways to do things

* also some English nerds

Shout out to the Enlightenment masters! Without them we'd still be in the Ancien Régime. We wouldn't be here to get this ice and tattoos.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ahh, classic northern Maine. It's like the yellow mustard of maps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No District of Columbia, several major lakes missing.

That’s all I got.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Is DC part of Maryland again in this world or did they just drop it into the Potomac?

EDIT: Also their label placement is exceedingly "Graphic Design 101: 76/100 see me after class"