Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would argue that survival games kind of are Harvest Moon horror. The missing factor is activities during the day beyond building towards surviving the night. If I were making a game I would go a Children of the Corn route where you maintain some semblance of twisted normality in a weird town while a unknown entity demands sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Stardew Valley somewhat does this. Basically you really have to hide it, so it takes some effort to get to the horror elements.

Out of curiosity, could someone spoil some of the horror-y things Stardew Valley does? I played it a fair amount a while back, but never really ran into anything that would qualify.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone spoil some of the horror-y things Stardew Valley does? I played it a fair amount a while back, but never really ran into anything that would qualify.

Well for one thing you can turn your children into birds and erase everybody's memory of them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well for one thing you can turn your children into birds and erase everybody's memory of them.

Holy poo poo. Yeah, never ran into that one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is that treated as a horrific thing or more of the game just providing an in-game way for you to go "you know what I changed my mind and just want things back the way they were"?

Anyway I think a horror Harvest Moon would deal less with any jump scares or anything, and more with creeping fears. Showing a shadow in your character's room that seems to inch closer to you every time you sleep, for example. Or the kind of horror that something like Doki Doki Literature club provides: where you, the player, know that something is terribly, terribly wrong, but the game simply does not give you the verbs to respond to them the way a rational person would, so despite the dread that something terrible is coming, all you can really do is farm, build relationships, and pray that the fact that your cows sometimes vanish for days at a time won't turn out to be something much worse than some missed profits.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
A Harvest Moon set in the dust bowl during the great depression would be a pretty good start for a setting.

"Oh look, my teeth are being ground down to nubs due to constant sand in every mouthful of the little food I have left."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Harvest Moon.

Your neighbors are the Colour Out Of Space.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Horror-related things in Stardew Valley, or at least things I take as potentially horrifying depending on personal definition:
You can choose a “Wilderness Farm” where after 8:00pm low-level monsters spawn and attack you.
When it rains/storms there are eerie, far-off sounds some NPCs interpret as mundane or sinister. It’s suggested the misanthropic Wizard has something to do with it, but he confirms nothing to you.
There are whisperings of a far-off war with the “Gotoro Empire.” One NPC returns in Spring of Year 2 and clearly has PTSD issues. If you give him something he hates he remarks on his memories as a POW.
Literal Shadow People you encounter deeper into the dungeon levels. By the time you’ve probably killed several for phat lewt you can meet and befriend one who lives in the sewers as a merchant.

I suppose none of this is overtly scary, but to me it’s just unsettling enough to not disrupt the chill factor but keep you wondering if sooner or later something is going to go sideways in a future update or another game.

MockingQuantum posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah, never ran into that one.

This is found in The Witch’s Hut as a creepy-faced altar along with two others, one that de/activates monsters on your farm and another that can mindwipe your ex, allowing you to date/marry them post-divorce. And yeah, it’s more a way to just “reset” having kids. There doesn’t *seem* to be in-game consequences for doing so other than it takes sacrificing the rarest/most high-dollar item in-game to do it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Black August posted:

Harvest Moon.

Yeah, I was going to say that the Colour Out of Space is a good place to start from for farm-based horror.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've never played it or even seen anybody on these forums talk about it, but there's this game called Wild Season that looks like a completely generic harvest moon clone, but for some reason the second and third video have this sorta horror-y twist in them so I have no clue if the game actually has anything like that or not. On top of that, reviews say the game is buggy and it's an episodic game that I guess never got past episode 1 so who knows what the deal is.

I do recommend at least watching the second and third vids on their steam page though so you can be as confused as I was when I first saw that game pop up on steam.

e: oh wow, haha I was looking at Wild Season and I guess their community manager got fed up with the devs early this month.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/328220/announcements/detail/1662261101841475685

drat. Can't say I blame her.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 10, 2018

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Black August posted:

Harvest Moon.

I haven't played any games in the series since about the DS generation, what am I missing here?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
The H.P. Lovecraft short story The Colour Out Of Space? And how it would be a good place to draw inspiration for farm based horror. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

THe best farm based horror is the “meteor poo poo” segment from Creepshow

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Stephen King is the world's greatest actor

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DeathChicken posted:

Stephen King is the world's greatest actor

CAN CONFIRM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN0ucCc8TfA

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WombatCyborg posted:

The H.P. Lovecraft short story The Colour Out Of Space? And how it would be a good place to draw inspiration for farm based horror. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

I meant more in case there was any Lovecraft references in Harvest Moon I'd missed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlGRE97W9FA

I want to play this. Hoping for Cthulhu Deus Ex

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this owns, unironically

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

goferchan posted:

I want to play this. Hoping for Cthulhu Deus Ex

The godawful voice acting (and pretty bad writing) is enough to sink it for me in its current state. Really hope they re-record some of those lines. The way the PC says "killer whales" makes him sound more alien than the fishpeople.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's weird, it sounds like there should pauses between his comments but it's edited so there isn't?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That first person mode in The Evil Within 2 was so popular that they now officially put it in as an option on all platforms. Should be out now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glkC8DXT2fl

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Do Stardew Valley but replace the dumb combat with investigating the mysterious disappearances of your neighbours, replace the festivals with terrible otherworldly events like spirits attacking people, or discovering that everyone is pod people, or interrupting a ritual sacrifice by townies turned cultists, where you fight to survive and if you fail you wake up the next morning in bed with something missing - like the color red, or the woman youve been flirting with, or your dog. Either way it seems like it was a dream, no one else remembers it, but there were clearly real consequences and you get the feeling that most people in town are experiencing similar things YOU dont remember.

Start with the farm in decent condition but make it feel like its degrading, even as the player expands operations. Maybe have the woods constantly advancing, like darkwood, constricting, making it feel like time is running out. Maybe have a few things like this, a different one in each season or something to keep it fresh. Set it somewhere in the south where these are the primary season differences.

So the gameplay loop becomes about making enough money farming to stay alive and expanding your farm (thats the same) to get better equipment and more opportunities, balanced with holding back and surviving the horrors that threaten to engulf it, and cultivating relationships with the remaining townies hoping to help them with and solve their mysteries before they are disappeared, and rare moments of direct horror on event days. And it never seems like theres enough time in the day to do it all.

also there is fishing

Thats what I would do anyway.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Knorth posted:

It's weird, it sounds like there should pauses between his comments but it's edited so there isn't?

Yah it sounds like somebody was hitting space to skip through voiced dialogue or something, maybe a bug or maybe just to fit more of it in the trailer? I'm assuming the game won't actually sound like that . I didn't think the actual voice acting was bad though, I like the protagonists really slight Irish twinge

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GlyphGryph posted:

also there is fishing

The fishing has not been changed in any way whatsoever.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

If there’s an option to also befriend the old gods knowing how it can impact your game (i.e. certain people disappear forever but your ancient fruit is always top quality) I would absolutely play that.

Morpheus posted:

The fishing has not been changed in any way whatsoever.

So stand in the wrong spot, cast your rod, and be locked in place forever?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tending to a farm of increasingly grotesque and misshappen plants would be a pretty awesome concept for a horror game.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

If there’s an option to also befriend the old gods knowing how it can impact your game (i.e. certain people disappear forever but your ancient fruit is always top quality) I would absolutely play that.

So stand in the wrong spot, cast your rod, and be locked in place forever?

More games need to have a Breen option.

"I, for one, welcome our new many-eyed overlords."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A realistic farming simulator where the horror is white people

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

A realistic farming simulator where the horror is white people

Please don't shame fc5

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

exquisite tea posted:

Tending to a farm of increasingly grotesque and misshappen plants would be a pretty awesome concept for a horror game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I haven't been watching the videos but a game guy I'm subscribed to called Aavek has put out several Gleaner Heights videos
...Like from the thumbnail, description, and motion preview, it looks EXACTLY like Stardew Valley. The graphics and gameplay looks exactly the same. I've seen people throw loving tantrums about how close Titans Souls is to Shadow of the Colossus, when Titans Souls is 2d and you and the monster have 1hp each, and the only similarity is you find them on the map and the maps look vaguely similar, but otherwise the content is completely original. Not sure why making the same game but insisting the hyperrealistic skeleton crowd play it isn't a crime.

There's a fairly elaborate witchcraft mod for minecraft with elaborate rituals, hexes you can put on other players, brews, animal mutations, etc. A lot of it involves farming weird plants and trees, and you have to set up your alter in the forest. It fits the creepy farming game idea pretty well, but has some original mechanics.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are the people who keep asking for a dark version of stardew valley like goths?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I'd say they're more like lovecraft fans. There's a lot of horror to be had in struggling to survive in a setting that rapidly seems to actively want you to die.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tired Moritz posted:

Yo why people want horror games in the horror games thread, this is confusing

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tired Moritz posted:

No, most of the goths are happy with Don't Starve because it looks like a Tim Burton movie.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'd go for Darkwood with farming hosed up fungus and scream trees, sure. Hiding in my house at night so that what lurks out there and some of my own crops don't gently caress me up. Venturing out in the morning to see what new blasphemy my hideous horticultural horde has birthed.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 16, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, you could have a Herbert West style neighbour, weird poo poo going on in the woods, meteors delivering extra weirdness to the town. I can definitely see potential for a spooky Harvest Moon/town simulator game that steadily gets weirder and creepier the longer you play.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Deadly premonition but with farming for trading cards

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jukebox Hero posted:

I'd say they're more like lovecraft fans. There's a lot of horror to be had in struggling to survive in a setting that rapidly seems to actively want you to die.

Not even. It's 100% creepypasta "hyper realistic skeletons repeating my IRL name!!" stuff.

I would love a slice-of-life game with subtle horror elements but this seems more like the deep lore youtube bait kind of thing. Kinda the opposite of horror since its all about sharing a "secret" with your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What is this hyper realistic skeletons joke?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'd go for Darkwood with farming hosed up fungus and scream trees, sure. Hiding in my house at night so that what lurks out there and some of my own crops don't gently caress me up. Venturing out in the morning to see what new blasphemy my hideous horticultural horde has birthed.

Yeah! Also do up a nice basket of entrails and fungus to gift to a swamp person bachelor/bachelorette on their birthday