Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Speaking of romance, I genuinely have no idea what Priest is doing with Jessica Cruz.

I am hoping against hope that Jessica is doing some sort of green-spectrum mind meld with Bruce to address his lingering doubts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

site posted:

I feel like this may be a cultural thing where all the "romance" stories people know of are tragedies written by men two hundred years ago so that's what people associate with what romance is cuz if you actually read those romance novels at the bookstore by and large they don't have sad endings
Yeah. Similarly most (but not all) rom-coms I can think of have happy endings too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Couple neat-os in April variants.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/08/20-dc-comics-covers-march-april/

Trunks-less Superman in a golden age style lookin' weird as hell. (Batwoman #14 Michael Cho)

Doug Mahnke ripping off his own JLA cover (JLoA #25)

and this is just swell (Snagglepuss #3 Dan Panosian)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That;s a great Manke JLA cover. I own the Superman statue the made off it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rhyno posted:

That;s a great Manke JLA cover. I own the Superman statue the made off it.

That new JLA cover of his is horrible though: he should have left Batman where he was

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

That new JLA cover of his is horrible though: he should have left Batman where he was

It should have been Lobo in the Superman pose.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rhyno posted:

It should have been Lobo in the Superman pose.

I initially thought this too, but really it should be Vixen, manifesting one of her totems or something

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

I initially thought this too, but really it should be Vixen, manifesting one of her totems or something

Oooh yeah, that would also be great!

Atom in Plasti Man's spot is really working for me though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I am hoping against hope that Jessica is doing some sort of green-spectrum mind meld with Bruce to address his lingering doubts or something.

It's gotta be a misdirect. I don't buy for a second that they're genuinely meant to be making out sincerely. "This is going to be complicated" sounds like intentionally ambiguous language.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

site posted:

I feel like this may be a cultural thing where all the "romance" stories people know of are tragedies written by men two hundred years ago

When you put it that way, it sounds like romance stories from ages ago were written by sad nerds who can't get over being dumped by women they've hit on, so they got back by writing them in a tragedy. :v:

I guess that makes The Iliad the biggest revenge move by someone who got dumped. Well, that or Adam and Eve.

Roth posted:

Mallah and the Brain had the greatest romance story of the decade.

I've seen the panels of them confessing their love for each other and it was very sweet. :3:

...But didn't some writer gently caress that up and killed them off for the sake of shocking readers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You mean the same writer on the very next page?

That's them exploding.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean the same writer on the very next page?

That's them exploding.

I think they survived that. As their actual Death was Grodd murdering them when Mallah wanted to work with him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.newsarama.com/38578-titans-heading-towards-really-major-step-in-team-s-history.html#sthash.HasXgFMV.uxfs

When was the last time the Titans broke up?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doug Mahnke ripping off his own JLA cover (JLoA #25)

It was nice of them to let Dazzler into the Justice League

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You win this round, DT.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so bizzaro is having a smart hulk phase?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BrianWilly posted:

Oh that reminds me that if Artemis fucks Jason, I take back every nice thing I ever said about this series

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

so bizzaro is having a smart hulk phase?

Yeah. Turns out that Kryptonite heals him instead of hurting him, that is how he became a super genius. The effect is temporal however, and he's already slipping back into his non-genius state.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jason seems like a wait until marriage kind of guy to me.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Someones gotta be reading Teen Titans, right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Someones gotta be reading Teen Titans, right?

I dropped it around issue 7, and everything since then has seemed like I made the right call.

Kind of curious about the Marv Wolfman fill-in issue about Starfire though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

2 1/2 hr Bendis interview podcast
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wordballoon/2018/02/09/the-bendis-tapes-leaving-marvel-joining-dc-superman-and-a-near-death-experience

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A better interviewee could have knocked this out in 35 minutes.

:D

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's torrentially raining here, so I'm stuck inside playing video games and really appreciate a big ol' long 'cast, thanks!

e: This host is a bit of a boner.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 10, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

A better interviewee could have knocked this out in 35 minutes.

:D

Old joke but still
:perfect:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's torrentially raining here, so I'm stuck inside playing video games and really appreciate a big ol' long 'cast, thanks!

I'm at work and can't listen to long podcasts* so feel free to give out highlights.

*I'm also lazy I don't want to listen to long podcasts

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does he drop any juicy spoilers

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I see coming out next week is a new trade, Batman Legacy vol. 2. Is that the final volume of that story? It looks good so I was thinking of ordering Contagion and Legacy vol. 1 and 2. Can anyone recommend it or recommend to avoid?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

does he drop any juicy spoilers

Superman marries Bendis' new original character for the DC Universe: Catty Dignit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:chanpop:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to the podcast Bendis has deliberately never read a DC comic in his life and will outright refuse to do so going forward.

His entire first issue is just people saying Superman? Superman. Superman? Super? Man? Man! Super! Superman? over and over and over again and they say it so many loving times all of the goddamn word balloons drown out the art and by the fifteenth page the text is so dense the entire page is black and the cover of the next issue is printed in Vantablack and in that issue Superman is replaced by a black girl detective or something and she marries Kitty Pryde and converts to Yiddish-only Judaism and then Cuke Lage shows up and he gets replaced by a black person or something, I don't know this was hour four of the podcast and I was zoning out.

Wrapping up, he said that this cycle continues with every third issue just being people saying Superman a thousand times until DC literally goes out of business.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You forgot to mention that he's trying to negotiate an exclusive contract on Greg Land's behalf for the big crossover and both comics going forward for 2019.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

You forgot to mention that he's trying to negotiate an exclusive contract on Greg Land's behalf for the big crossover and both comics going forward for 2019.
Bendis is a no talent hack piece of poo poo who repeats himself and never reads any comics and hates and bullies other writers and editors and shoehorns writing Kitty Pryde and Luke Cage into literally everything he's ever written (including his death threats to fans probably) but let's be fair, he has very rarely worked with Greg Land. He usually takes more talented artists and holds them at gunpoint, forcing them to work on his bullshit scripts instead of something good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Kitty Pryde so I don't actually mind him using her so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah yeah you hate Bendis we get it. Get over it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who are you talking to?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think you're familiar with Edge & Christian's gimmick.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

Who are you talking to?

Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Nat posted:

I don't think you're familiar with Edge & Christian's gimmick.

Nope not at all.