Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm really into Amnesty as a narrative radio play with improvisational elements, but I get the criticisms of it as a role playing campaign :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

I'm really into Amnesty as a narrative radio play with improvisational elements, but I get the criticisms of it as a role playing campaign :shobon:

I think this is where I stand too.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

DoombatINC posted:

same, and my earlier post is more of a personal complaint about the Griffin McElroy Narrative Hour than it is about TAZ’s slow transition into a radio play

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Narrative Griffin and think Stolen Century was great and worked very well, and the early parts of TAZ were fun for being goofy and loose but especially for how they provided fodder for the gradual transition to a more serious and fleshed-out story.

I think Amnesty was fun and interesting, even though I think the system is not a great fit for their group dynamic, as without stronger structural limits and more defined powers for the players Griffin is more likely to take control and the players are inclined to let him. The story was heavy on setup and one-on-one interactions, but I don't think that's inherently wrong to try out in what's both te "pilot" for a structured tv-inspired campaign and a deliberate experiment. I do think it might be good to see Griffin try more open-ended, open-world stuff though, the 11th hour was a good example of that.

Also Dr. Harris Bonkers, PhD, is good.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I got the impression that a lot of the time when Griffin was narrating what the others were doing, it was stuff they'd all agreed was happening, but let him say it to keep a narrative flow going. Like, he'd narrate things that were part of a character's backstory or location which I can't imagine he got to make up himself. I think just the way it was edited made it sound like he was spinning it out of whole cloth with no input from the others.

I mean, he does go wild with too much narrating when he gets into the Deep Lore of the setting, but I don't think he ran roughshod over the others in person the way it sounded in the show.

Also it's kind of funny how twice now Justin's managed to set it up so he gets to play two characters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

Also it's kind of funny how twice now Justin's managed to set it up so he gets to play two characters.

Three times if you count Garyl.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Holy poo poo none of you mentioned that Dragon Friends was people from the Chaser & Axis of Awesome, I would have started listening way earlier.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I think I would enjoy an actual radio play from our friends the McElroys.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I found amnesty pretty boring overall. I think I skipped the last five or so minutes because i didn't really care how the plot got wrapped up. this feels hosed up to type but i think travis' campaign will be better because he's less experienced and therefore less able to keep as tight a hold on the structure

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Holy poo poo none of you mentioned that Dragon Friends was people from the Chaser & Axis of Awesome, I would have started listening way earlier.

It's a shame that Andrew Hanson's guest character is a big of a creep, in my opinion. But I feel like Jordan Raskopolis strikes a good balance in her guest spot between crass humour and appropriate character choices.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't think any of them are mad at Griffin for how he runs campaigns but I do think it makes for very dull listening. It was around the 11th Hour my interest in TAZ started to wane because I just found the one on one sessions he did close to the end so incredibly dull.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait what

Immediate subscription

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

I don't think any of them are mad at Griffin for how he runs campaigns but I do think it makes for very dull listening. It was around the 11th Hour my interest in TAZ started to wane because I just found the one on one sessions he did close to the end so incredibly dull.

The Ratio, but its about jokes-to-seriousdramastory content instead of twitter replies

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vonnie posted:

I would, too. Just lean right into the whole thing with sound effects and everything.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I actually think that would be awesome, but I feel like TAZ is just transforming into that and I miss the funny goof-em-up role playing times. Just finished the Amnesty finale and the role playing is usually limited to Griffin setting up the entire scene and saying “what do you do?” and getting about two sentences of response before moving ahead.

I don’t think Griffin is going rogue and just taking over the podcast unbeknownst to the others, just the format has changed to be almost purely story driven and it’s kinda boring now.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Griffin describing the monster while this really great, unsettling music slowly built up in the background was maybe the coolest part of the whole arc, I'd be okay with more of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

misadventurous posted:

Griffin describing the monster while this really great, unsettling music slowly built up in the background was maybe the coolest part of the whole arc, I'd be okay with more of that.

Yeah for someone who normally doesn't do horror stuff there were a lot of good little creepy bits in this arc, I thought

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

redcheval posted:

I actually think that would be awesome, but I feel like TAZ is just transforming into that and I miss the funny goof-em-up role playing times. Just finished the Amnesty finale and the role playing is usually limited to Griffin setting up the entire scene and saying “what do you do?” and getting about two sentences of response before moving ahead.

I don’t think Griffin is going rogue and just taking over the podcast unbeknownst to the others, just the format has changed to be almost purely story driven and it’s kinda boring now.

Get out of my head.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I found that both Commitment and Amnesty tried to do too much world building in too small of a space- ends up as way too much exposition. Compare all of the laid-out secret societies and hidden worlds presented in those two to just a hint of a larger plot that existed by the end of Here There Be Gerblins.

It also seems like Travis is trying a bit too hard for the spotlight recently (between TAZ and some of the other productions he's shown up in). Hopefully being DM lets him scratch that itch in a productive manner, although it could still go poorly in the other direction.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah, Travis is having a narcissism relapse, though he finally did make me laugh last ep with his two jellos line.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Vonnie posted:

What is a role playing game but a lovely radio play

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Dolash posted:

I think Amnesty was fun and interesting, even though I think the system is not a great fit for their group dynamic, as without stronger structural limits and more defined powers for the players Griffin is more likely to take control and the players are inclined to let him. The story was heavy on setup and one-on-one interactions, but I don't think that's inherently wrong to try out in what's both te "pilot" for a structured tv-inspired campaign and a deliberate experiment. I do think it might be good to see Griffin try more open-ended, open-world stuff though, the 11th hour was a good example of that.

These kind of complaints bug me a little bit, because I feel like I wouldn't have walked away from Amnesty with a positive impression of MotW if I didn't already know that Griffin is strongly running against how the book tells you to do things. Which is fine, it's his podcast, but it's not really a system problem-- the game has some pretty strict instructions about the structure, but the thing about being a GM is that you can always ignore that in any system. D&D does not inherently give you more tools to say "screw you, dad, the plot's going this way now" if you don't give the players the chance to do that, you know?

The way MotW is meant to be played per the book is:
- The players come up with a bunch of connections to each other and start with the group pre-formed.
- The GM comes up with a monster and a situation and a couple NPCs, but explicitly not a whole big plotline.
- The players direct everything from there, the GM is purely reactive.

And whether or not you liked Amnesty or think that it's a valuable experiment, I think you can probably agree that's not really a description of the game that they played.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I hope the McElroys never play another PbtA system because I am sick to loving death of half the posts in this thread being “they aren’t doing it right!!”

Bring on D&D 2e or something stupid like that

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They will also play that wrong but it's fine because nobody has ever played D&D 2e correctly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope the next system they use is Honey Heist.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

I hope the McElroys never play another PbtA system because I am sick to loving death of half the posts in this thread being “they aren’t doing it right!!”

maybe they should play the game right then, sparky

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I really liked Amnesty (and didn't mind Aubrey as much as the entire thread does) but I wouldn't want to see it as a full campaign. I think it'd work best as something they revisit from time to time like Knights.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

This is the correct opinion. I want to hear them play it for two years and Clint still wouldn't understand what THAC0 is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ekeog posted:

This is the correct opinion. I want to hear them play it for two years and Clint still wouldn't understand what THAC0 is.

People who have played 2e for the past 20 years still don't really understand THAC0

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Goddamn you people are just incapable of feeling joy, aren't you?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ojjeorago posted:

I hope the next system they use is Honey Heist.

The McElroys playing Honey Heist would be the funniest loving thing. Definitely prime live show material.

Roach Warehouse posted:

It's a shame that Andrew Hanson's guest character is a big of a creep, in my opinion. But I feel like Jordan Raskopolis strikes a good balance in her guest spot between crass humour and appropriate character choices.

Apparently that gag was sprung on the cast by surprise, and they had to edit out the worst of it. Still, it makes the end of the episode super satisfying and one of the rare times you actually cheer for Freezo being a psychopath.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Soup du Jour posted:

I want them to do like shadowrun or something. Maybe 40k or one of the other warhams because some people take those very seriously, and do it as wrong as humanly possible.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

I stopped listening to TAZ after Eleventh Hour, and after catching up on this thread's discussions about the podcast since then, I think I made the right decision. A little while ago someone mentioned that the McElroy brothers sans Justin were wearing a bit thin, and I'm leaning towards agreement.

I'll probably check out Dragon Friends though, so thanks for that recommendation, folks.

Who What Now posted:

Goddamn you people are just incapable of feeling joy, aren't you?

Something that was very good is now not especially good, and a fair number of folks have a completely reasonable negative reaction. What a shocker.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i feel like the later parts of the adventure zone just got up its own rear end a bit. griffin moved the show away from mostly goofs and spoofs to a more serious story with an extended cast of characters. the problem is that i honestly never cared about the npcs he made, nor did i ever particularity cared about the characters backstories.

it also didn't help my enjoyment when he started having more single character moments over the course of the campaign, and those were my least favorite parts of the amnesty arc too. i like when the characters can riff on each other, and when a significant chunk of the episodes are spent just griffin+1 its a bummer to me.

i do want park ranger Duck who is sick of this poo poo to come back though. that was a fun character.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I mean yeah if literally all you enjoy TAZ for is the goofs then I understand why you wouldn’t like it anymore. It’s become something different from what it started out as. I personally enjoy the blend of goofs and earnest as hell storytelling. I don’t agree that it’s become bad at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like the balance (ha) could be a lot better. But I think like was said earlier, it's mostly them trying to do too much with the story in too little time for these mini arcs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Soup du Jour posted:

These complaints are kind of germane though because one of, if not the biggest reason to do these mini-arcs is to test out different systems to see which one is best. I think that this system would be a better fit for the show if Griffin hewed a little closer to the style of play it is designed for. On the other hand, you could also argue that if they play a system """""wrong""""" then that is a good indicator that the system isn't a very choice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vargs posted:

Something that was very good is now not especially good, and a fair number of folks have a completely reasonable negative reaction. What a shocker.

There's some very reasonable complaints, but that said, I do think some people are making mountains out of molehills re: some certain rabbit-related goofs

Although I really did not like Nadia at all and I'll be waiting with bated breath to see how his turn at the wheel in the next arc turns out. I'm a filthy paywall-avoider so I never listened to TAZ knights, I have no frame of reference for his DM'ing skills. Aubrey was...fine, so maybe it will be fine

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Vargs posted:

“Something that I liked a lot became something I don’t” is a better way to phrase this without making GBS threads on the tons of people still enjoying TAZ, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Do you actually feel someone is making GBS threads on you for saying they think something is "not especially good"?