Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

Except Han in this case is the Falcon

I'm not talking about the character arc of the Falcon, I mean from a simple set/art design perspective. The new design is just horrifically boring and staid. In the original, the pipes and wiring snaking around, the grime, the worn in look of all of the finishes give it life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it looks nice. It is somewhat amusing that the Falcon changed more in 10 years than X-Wings, TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers changed in 30, but that's more down to boring design work in the sequels rather than going too far here.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

I always thought that the Falcon was never a particularly nice ship. I never thought Han won a nice ship from Lando which he then proceeded to run into the ground. I figured the ship had sentimental value for Lando or something and that winning it from him was a dick move.

I certainly never thought it had a different color scheme, silhouette and so on with the glossy floors of some pleasure yacht.

Well I guess you were wrong lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Papercut posted:

I'm not talking about the character arc of the Falcon, I mean from a simple set/art design perspective. The new design is just horrifically boring and staid. In the original, the pipes and wiring snaking around, the grime, the worn in look of all of the finishes give it life.

What you’re describing is basically a character arc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I mean the movie is probably gonna suck but for reasons other than a spaceship changed over time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Papercut posted:

What you're describing is the character of a setting. I think the movie looks boring, too, but Pablo is right: the Falcon does not look the way it does in the OT to 'give it life,' its appearance is motivated by the themes of the story and as a reflection of the characters who inhabit it. There is no reason that the Falcon should look exactly the same in a story all about a couple of youngblood rogues who are 'totally rad.'

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You think Han's car never had new car smell?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Disney revamped the Falcon because they thought the dirty old one wouldn't sell enough toys

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 10, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I hate to quote SMG but

Except Han in this case is the Falcon

Yeah, the level of naivity in some of these reactions is seriously weird. Like I can get having some difficulty with symbolism, but not comprehending the passage of time makes me concerned for people's mental health.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, the level of naivity in some of these reactions is seriously weird. Like I can get having some difficulty with symbolism, but not comprehending the passage of time makes me concerned for people's mental health.

I don't get how this all happened a long time ago when everything looks like it's the future.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People aren't happy with green screens

They aren't happy with real sets.

Man I don't know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

People aren't happy with green screens

They aren't happy with real sets.

Man I don't know.

The next movie should just be a recording of the table read.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Samuel Beckett does Star Wars

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

What you're describing is the character of a setting. I think the movie looks boring, too, but Pablo is right: the Falcon does not look the way it does in the OT to 'give it life,' its appearance is motivated by the themes of the story and as a reflection of the characters who inhabit it. There is no reason that the Falcon should look exactly the same in a story all about a couple of youngblood rogues who are 'totally rad.'

The issue is that everything else is bizarrely identical. Chewbacca's got roughly the same bandolier, Calrissian has roughly the same flamboyant blue cape, etc. The logic of the ship is not being applied consistently.

Compare that with the costume changes between Lucas' films:

Or, for a subtler example, see the degradation of Obiwan's Jedi outfit over time in the desert:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ron Howard the type of guy to use the condition of a person's car as a visual metaphor

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I don't get how this all happened a long time ago when everything looks like it's the future.

https://youtu.be/k9tgLnI0fFc

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The next movie should just be a recording of the table read.

The only real Star Wars is the radio dramas.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue is that everything else is bizarrely identical. Chewbacca's got roughly the same bandolier, Calrissian has roughly the same flamboyant blue cape, etc. The logic of the ship is not being applied consistently.

Compare that with the costume changes between Lucas' films:

Or, for a subtler example, see the degradation of Obiwan's Jedi outfit over time in the desert:

Clothes are cheap, ships are not. Lando isn't going to be wearing the exact same cape a decade later (Obi-wan might though - he's a reclusive desert hermit). After a decade of heavy use, modifications, living in the ship, and trying to smuggle stuff in the ship, it's not going to be pristine (and honestly, the clutter probably helps a smuggler smuggle things; if it's too pristine, it's going to be hard to hide things).

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I honestly love these. Darth Vader really laying on the ham in them.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Angry Salami posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eno5_aCx17w

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 10, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I honestly love these. Darth Vader really laying on the ham in them.

Isn't he just?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKM8kw9zr1A&t=10873s

Can you imagine if that had been the Vader on film? Sheev would have had serious competition with the scenery chewing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F157geaXp_w

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dirk the Average posted:

Clothes are cheap, ships are not. Lando isn't going to be wearing the exact same cape a decade later (Obi-wan might though - he's a reclusive desert hermit). After a decade of heavy use, modifications, living in the ship, and trying to smuggle stuff in the ship, it's not going to be pristine (and honestly, the clutter probably helps a smuggler smuggle things; if it's too pristine, it's going to be hard to hide things).

The issue is that, when there is no real change in fashion sense, that indicates no real change in characterization.

Sometimes that can be good, as with the Obi-Wan example - the old belt is replaced with a shoddier one and the overall style is looser and more informal, but it shows that he is still holding onto the ways of the jedi order as best he can.

The massive change in the ship without a corresponding change of fashion sense indicates that Han is just a corrosive slob from the beginning.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The issue is that, when there is no real change in fashion sense, that indicates no real change in characterization.

Sometimes that can be good, as with the Obi-Wan example - the old belt is replaced with a shoddier one and the overall style is looser and more informal, but it shows that he is still holding onto the ways of the jedi order as best he can.

The massive change in the ship without a corresponding change of fashion sense indicates that Han is just a corrosive slob from the beginning.

maybe he is?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Elfgames posted:

maybe he is?

the trailer seems to be implying that he wants to join the empire and do imperial things though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the trailer seems to be implying that he wants to join the empire and do imperial things though

The earlier teaser depicts him enlisting into flight academy, but the later one has him narrating that he washed out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The earlier teaser depicts him enlisting into flight academy, but the later one has him narrating that he washed out.

Yeah I assume Han wants to join the Imperial Academy for the same reason that Luke wants to later, get away from his home world and see the galaxy.

I want to say that all the snowy landscapes in the trailers are Corellia? What is the origin of Corellia always having a light frost? It seems to always have had that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bet the joining part is the heist poo poo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

He's a criminal, a smuggler. His income isn't exactly stable at the best of times, and he went in debt to Jabba. It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that someone in that situation is going to prioritize cobbling together repairs and upgrading hardware over aesthetics.

And again, clothes are cheap. Owning a starship is expensive. Someone in Han's profession needs to advertise some level of wealth with their appearance, so it makes sense that his personal appearance is kept up while his ship deteriorates a bit.

I'm just not seeing how this is implausible to you. He takes a pristine ship and wrecks it over the years in the name of cutting costs and upgrading the hardware. That absolutely does say something about him, especially if his personal appearance doesn't really change.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

George Lucas made a suggestion for this film, so can't wait until everyone blames him for the film

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/962250049328697344

(Would love it if the suggestion was "Han shoots first")

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As long as it wasn’t “fire Lord and Miller” idc what it was.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Regarding the old vs new Falcon, a better example of the new versus worn look is Mad Max's V8 Interceptor. Between Mad Max and the Road Warrior, it becomes suitable worn and modified to reflect Max's nomadic existence in the wastelands:

The car's look reflects Max's personality and where his character is at in his story. When it is destroyed, it represents a hard break with the old life that Max was still hanging onto and a chance for him to start over. Also, its shows that George Miller should have made Solo.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 10, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
George Lucas is responsible for putting nipples on the Han suit

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Davros1 posted:

George Lucas made a suggestion for this film, so can't wait until everyone blames him for the film

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/962250049328697344

(Would love it if the suggestion was "Han shoots first")

Suddenly excited for this movie now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Loving the "George Lucas was totally helping with Solo" in the aftermath of people wanting George back in the wake of TLJ.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What if Lucas is totally doing the same thing Spielberg did to Poltergeist?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

What if Lucas is totally doing the same thing Spielberg did to Poltergeist?

Poltergeist astounds me because it had a PG rating. Not only was it frightening but it had on-screen drug use that was portrayed positively.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UmOk posted:

Poltergeist astounds me because it had a PG rating. Not only was it frightening but it had on-screen drug use that was portrayed positively.

Poltergeist predated the PG-13 rating. Spielberg managed to avoid an R rating (which I believe it originally got) by heavily pressuring the MPAA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Loving the "George Lucas was totally helping with Solo" in the aftermath of people wanting George back in the wake of TLJ.

I never wanted him gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

I never wanted him gone.

Everyone else did, though.