Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
ITT people think Skullclamp is a perfectly reasonable card.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Mardu Pyromancer with skullclamp seems disgusting.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I really believe that most of the people in this thread have never played with or against Jace or SFM. Batterskull is the last card I want to get in most matchups. The only time I want it is against burn and storm or if I have a pretty specific draw of lands and creatures. I can also count on less than 1 hand the number of games I've used the return to hand ability in 4 years. It usually gets reset by a Flickerwisp if anything. We're in a format dominated by turn 2 4/5s and 5/5s and you're worried about a turn 3 Batterskull that takes 2 entire turns and is vulnerable to Bolt and Thoughtseize.

For every other deck, SoFI hits just as hard while allowing me to draw additional disruption or Jitte just destroys everything. I think Feast and Famine would be the sword of choice in modern though.

Sickening posted:

Untapping with stoneforge seems like a rare thing in modern. Taking turn 2 and 3 off in modern for a 4/4 seems, meh. I would rather be casting TKS.

I'm worried at how much I've been agreeing with you lately.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sampatrick posted:

I don't know if you're aware, but this isn't Mirrodin Standard. This is a much higher powered format that also happens to have lots of answers to Skullclamp. Darksteel is thirteen years old now. The game has changed a ton in that period.

Darksteel Standard has far, FAR more, and more efficient, answers to Skullclamp seeing play in maindecks. It wasn't enough. Kolaghan's Command is great and all, but people were maindecking Oxidize.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm a terrible person cause I want to see Eye unbanned. I started after it was banned so I missed out on Eldrazi winter and don't hate them like everybody else. Eye doesn't seem to get talked about like Jace or the other banned cards as being warping. I just wanna see if it would kill modern again now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm a terrible person cause I want to see Eye unbanned. I started after it was banned so I missed out on Eldrazi winter and don't hate them like everybody else. Eye doesn't seem to get talked about like Jace or the other banned cards as being warping. I just wanna see if it would kill modern again now.

Go proxy the UR, UW or colorless Eldrazi decks and play them against any modern deck. Two Hollow Ones on turn 1 is pretty cool, but turn one double Eldrazi Mimic is more likely than that and more fearsome when followed by TKS/Reality Smasher/Endless One.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

[/

[quote="suicidesteve" post="481150306"]
I really believe that most of the people in this thread have never played with or against Jace or SFM. Batterskull is the last card I want to get in most matchups. The only time I want it is against burn and storm or if I have a pretty specific draw of lands and creatures. I can also count on less than 1 hand the number of games I've used the return to hand ability in 4 years. It usually gets reset by a Flickerwisp if anything. We're in a format dominated by turn 2 4/5s and 5/5s and you're worried about a turn 3 Batterskull that takes 2 entire turns and is vulnerable to Bolt and Thoughtseize.

For every other deck, SoFI hits just as hard while allowing me to draw additional disruption or Jitte just destroys everything. I think Feast and Famine would be the sword of choice in modern though.

Ditto. Feels gross.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Hasn't Jeskai Spell Queller been a tier one deck for like a while now? Seems like that deck would really, really like to play the SFM package.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The best part about Clamp is that the -1 was supposed to be a downside.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Does there exist in Magic a bigger man child than Jeff Hoogland?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sampatrick posted:

By mass? EFro's bigger.

By volume? EFro's also louder.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

By mass? EFro's bigger.

By volume? EFro's also louder.

You can figure out his volume by how dense he is

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

BooHoogland

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Hell no. His twitter feed is good to laugh at though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If SFM Mystic is unbanned, the biggest winner is people who have piles of swords.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hellsau posted:

BooHoogland

quit posting my posts before me ok pal

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sampatrick posted:

I've never understood the Hoogland hate, what's wrong with him? Being a sore loser is far from the most grievous thing a MTG personality can be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I've never understood the Hoogland hate, what's wrong with him? Being a sore loser is far from the most grievous thing a MTG personality can be.

"BooHoogland" is a really funny pun and makes it stick to him a lot more than it would to someone else with a different name.

But also he's a sore loser.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

Repeatedly and pettily.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

its you

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

he gets upset when you relentlessly bully him, which is a personality flaw according to said bullies

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Jabor posted:

"BooHoogland" is a really funny pun and makes it stick to him a lot more than it would to someone else with a different name.

Say it during an SCG stream and watch how fast you get banned for 20 minutes haha

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

little munchkin posted:

he gets upset when you relentlessly bully him, which is a personality flaw according to said bullies

I remember him blowing up in Cheon's chat when Cheon didn't take Hoogland's specific line (despite Cheon taking a fair amount of time to weigh the options). Guy's got issues.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

kingcobweb posted:

You can figure out his volume by how dense he is

Despite everyone else ignoring this, I want you to know I appreciated this post.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

I've been banned in his chat before for saying that Grixis Death Shadow is the best deck in Modern. He acts like a complete child.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

I've been banned in his chat before for saying that Grixis Death Shadow is the best deck in Modern. He acts like a complete child.

I watched his stream when he came back after quitting mtgo. He got mad at losing and said "thats it, i am done" and cuts off the stream. No "thanks for watching" or anything else that a streamer would normally do, just cuts it off. Someone who came back to the stream being offline says "Is the stream over?" and I replied "yeah, bit of a ragequit"

Of course he is still in the chat and bans me for "being an rear end in a top hat". Banned 3 others for the LUL emote right after. He honestly has a chemical imbalance in his head.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

He engages when he shouldn't is most of it. Lots of internet personalities get trolled, etc. and nobody should have to just take it, but ban/block/ignore/report whomever and don't let it affect you. The things that happen because of his inability to handle negativity in a way that doesn't give it attention causes it to continue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hoogland is bar none my least favorite somewhat known player in magic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ShaneB posted:

Hoogland is bar none my least favorite somewhat known player in magic.

Travis “actively insane holocaust denier” woo, easily

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GeneX posted:

Travis “actively insane holocaust denier” woo, easily

He's not an abhorrent person beyond his mental instability. Jeff is. I think Woo is actually not all there.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Fun fact, Jeff Hoogland banned me in both Magic and SCG’s twitch chats for daring to disagree with him over the BBE banning in SCG’s chat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Who in the SCG minor league are worth following in the first place? Tom Ross and Emma Handy are the only two that I can think of.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Since I missed skullclamp chat (lol what a card) I feel it's worth sharing the article from ~14 years ago~ where they said "Welp we sure hosed up".

You know, a year before Jitte came out.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/skullclamp-we-hardly-knew-ye-2004-06-04

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

Who in the SCG minor league are worth following in the first place? Tom Ross and Emma Handy are the only two that I can think of.

Todd Stevens is cool

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Since I missed skullclamp chat (lol what a card) I feel it's worth sharing the article from ~14 years ago~ where they said "Welp we sure hosed up".

You know, a year before Jitte came out.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/skullclamp-we-hardly-knew-ye-2004-06-04

There's a difference. Jitte merely made all creature decks revolve around drawing Jitte first, rather than every deck revolving around playing the equipment or stopping it at all costs. Plus there were viable non-Jitte decks. They also never banned Jitte.

Jitte would be completely disasterous to unban in Modern, just like Skullclamp. They also put both stupid equipments into precons which immediately sold out. So they're kind of similar yeah.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

There's a difference. Jitte merely made all creature decks revolve around drawing Jitte first, rather than every deck revolving around playing the equipment or stopping it at all costs. Plus there were viable non-Jitte decks. They also never banned Jitte.

The best example of this is the Tooth and Nail deck, probably the first good green big ramp deck. To remain good during the Clamp era, it dumped the Tron pieces and land searchers and things like that for cheap mana elves, Skullclamp, and Vernal Bloom. Then once Clamp was banned it went back to the old build because it was better without the broken equipment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

Also with the old Legend rule you could still destroy a Jitte with your own Jitte, so it'd be even dumber now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Jitte would be completely disasterous to unban in Modern, just like Skullclamp. They also put both stupid equipments into precons which immediately sold out. So they're kind of similar yeah.

They are not at all comparable beyond being design mistakes. Jitte is massively more expensive, and only works in a battle between two fair creature decks. They could unban Jitte no problem.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

kingcobweb posted:

They are not at all comparable beyond being design mistakes. Jitte is massively more expensive, and only works in a battle between two fair creature decks. They could unban Jitte no problem.

Yeah, Jitte is pretty degenerate once it gets going, but.. it costs 2 mana to play, 2 to equip, and requires you to actually land a hit with a creature. I think it would probably be too good for modern, but not having a text box until you land a hit might be more of a downside than we give credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

They could unban Jitte no problem.

Absolutely not. It makes all creature mirrors cripplingly unfun and isn't bad by itself. Effectively +4/+4 for 2 to play/2 to equip is still a fine card, and Jitte is much more than that.