Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XIII-2 Snow is good because he got a better haircut and comes to take Serah away for Time Cop adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

XIII-2 Snow is good because he got a better haircut and comes to take Serah away for Time Cop adventures.

A... better haircut?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Serious talk, you're the first person I've met who liked XIII-2 Snow's hair besides myself. At least as far as I can remember.

The 80s were the best decade. I'm sad I missed them. (probably not but I like the pop culture)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know the only people 80's hair looks good on? Women. They only ever looked good on women. Unless you plan to pick up a golden guitar and sing your way to the stars, you'll find that hair won't get you far, let alone to Mars.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Emperor still hasn’t been unseated from his throne of best hair in the series

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Nope, you never get your own airship, despite you riding in one earlier and it being a major goal of the party. Instead you can buy airship tickets which exist solely to a) be a place for a hunt to happen at and b) a shop that for some unfathomable reason is where you buy all the teleport stones your heart desires and c) inefficiently teleport you to places you've been.

Uh what? It's been a long time since I played 12 but I'm pretty sure at some point towards the end of the game you get Balthier's airship up and running.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bad haircuts: basically everyone in FFX, but bonus points to Wakka, Seymour and Nooj.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Nope, you never get your own airship, despite you riding in one earlier and it being a major goal of the party. Instead you can buy airship tickets which exist solely to a) be a place for a hunt to happen at and b) a shop that for some unfathomable reason is where you buy all the teleport stones your heart desires and c) inefficiently teleport you to places you've been.

And a really weird sidequest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Snow is basically every shonen protagonist ever except his optimism and let's-do-it attitude doesn't magically save everyone in the beginning of the game. One thing I've noticed about fanbases is that they have zero tolerance for protagonists failing. It's fine if the protag is dumb as bricks as long as they succeed by pure luck. Snow isn't as lucky, so the fans hate him, even though he was basically the only person at trying to keep everyone form being executed by the state.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do people hate Snow again

Snow is a ff9 character stuck in a narrative in which heroes cannot do heroics. He comes across as annoying cause it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

man nurse posted:

So I'm playing FF XII Zodiac Age and I just got the item from the viera that removes the barriers in the forest, and now all of the enemies beyond there are suddenly kicking my rear end. I feel like I've already been doing a ton of optional grinding, so I'm not sure why the difficulty just spiked like that. Do I have no choice but to grind more?

Same with the hunts, I was clearing them as they appeared no problem, but now suddenly the only available hunts are rank 3 and 4 ones that absolutely destroy me. Are hunts supposed to be saved for late game?

Finally, I have one last question. At the moment I can only fast travel via gate crystals and my limited supply of teleport stones. Do I later get an airship or something that lets me hop all over the map without expending teleport stones?

You definitely get an airship in FFXII; but it can only take you to a limited number of locations so it still kinda sucks. But yeah, you can buy teleport stones for like 200 gil a pop, so you should probably just stock up while taking an airship ride from an airport.

Also, clearly you're doing something wrong if you can't beat the hunts because, as this thread has pointed out, FFXII is soooo braindead easy that you can just set up a simple gambit setup and put the controller down and beat all content. You idiot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Snow is basically every shonen protagonist ever except his optimism and let's-do-it attitude doesn't magically save everyone in the beginning of the game. One thing I've noticed about fanbases is that they have zero tolerance for protagonists failing. It's fine if the protag is dumb as bricks as long as they succeed by pure luck. Snow isn't as lucky, so the fans hate him, even though he was basically the only person at trying to keep everyone form being executed by the state.

Of course, this being FFXIII, even though he's supposed to learn the lesson that reckless actions, no matter how noble, can still be a bad thing, the party ends up saving the world through reckless, thoughtless actions.

Basically, "heroes don't need plans" is the motto of FFXIII's plot so I say that Snow was right all along.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course, this being FFXIII, even though he's supposed to learn the lesson that reckless actions, no matter how noble, can still be a bad thing, the party ends up saving the world through reckless, thoughtless actions.

Basically, "heroes don't need plans" is the motto of FFXIII's plot so I say that Snow was right all along.

Does that mean that the real lesson is that you are only a hero if you have super powers?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I mostly judge a character based on how dumb their face looks.

Sorry, Tidus.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
No to defend Snow or anything, but 90% of characters in Final Fantasy are freggin idiots, and a good chunk of those 10% that are not turn into idiots in sequels or remakes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

man nurse posted:

I’m an idiot and went to the wrong area, nevermind

Note that optional hunts are indeed tough but all monsters usually have one fatal weakness to a particular element or status effects.

You have to use a wiki though if you wanna see monster stats

Also Disease completely fucks up some tough encounters. You need Diamond Armlet and use that to pick up Meteorites from chests. You can find the armlet very early in Westersand

I feel like doing a new playthrough

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember when Snow was just called 'Mr 33cm'. Good times.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

33cm Of Snow

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renoistic posted:

The flipside is that characters like Snow usually have some kind of revelatory moment where their prior assumptions of the world are challenged or they witness the destructive effects of their own can-do-it naivete. They learn from their mistakes and mature as a leader. This... just doesn't happen in FF13, the whole early conflict with Hope falls away without a satisfying payoff, and Snow has no motive to change because wouldn't you know it, he got an advance copy of the FF13 script and saw that just kind of irrationally hoping things work themselves out is The Right Thing to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like Snow because, in a world of style over substance, he's one of the few characters that seems to lean into being stylish.

It's him, FMV Lightning (not in-gameplay Lightning), and Caius. That's all.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

WaltherFeng posted:

Also Disease completely fucks up some tough encounters. You need Diamond Armlet and use that to pick up Meteorites from chests. You can find the armlet very early in Westersand

I feel like doing a new playthrough

You get the diamond armlet from the first chest in trial mode, then you die on wave 2 and continue the autosave in the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Your Computer posted:

Honestly I mostly judge a character based on how dumb their face looks.

Sorry, Tidus.

Why do you hate Meg Ryan

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why do you hate Meg Ryan

Eh, at least he's not Zidane

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

Incidentally, I think that picture is OOOLD. Like, the first release or two of the mod had apparently more of that cringey dialog, but people complained and to his credit the creator both A) cut out most of the really bad dialog, and B) put in an option to remove almost all of it. And that was before I played it like 4 years ago. He continued to work on balance tweaks and stuff as well. So I wouldn't discount the mod because of an ancient picture that no longer reflects the mod.

You made me go and check it out again. A lot of the changes sound pretty cool, at least on paper, but stuff like this in the FAQ makes me wary

quote:

Some liberty was taken to add references and homages to other games/music/movies/pop-culture/etc., where it is appropriate and doesn't detract from the story.
(who's willing to bet :10bux: there's a 'pickle rick' in there somewhere) and as for the option to remove the edgy dialogue

quote:

If you desire, apply the "Clean New World" patch AFTER applying Brave New World. Be warned that Clean New World was not taken seriously and contains obviously (and badly) censored dialogue.

I did try it out though. In about 30 minutes I got one-hit KO'ed twice by the enemies immediately outside Narshe (not a difficulty mod!), got a joke about Edgar's dick and was told to "piss off you bloody wanker" by an NPC. I guess the moral of the story is that romhacks are romhacks :v:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Renoistic posted:

Snow isn't as lucky, so the fans hate him, even though he was basically the only person at trying to keep everyone form being executed by the state.

That's not really accurate. At the start, Snow's the one who doesn't care about getting caught by the Sanctum, he just wanted to try anything to free Serah from being crystal. Past that point, he was abducted by the Calvary and was helping their plans alongside Fang.

The only time he's really acting independently that helped the party was in Chapter 10, after Bart had told the party their focus of being ragnorok, where everyone was depressed and not sure how to move forward between completing their focus/destroying cocoon or turning cei'th. Snows the one who tries to rally up the group after fighting Cid, using that as an example of how they knew there had to be some other option to make things right. But even still, that doesn't really put him up as the smart/safe one who's trying to keep them alive.

Sahz is more like what you said, but even at that, Sahz's arc ends up being more about trying to run away, so it's not really him either.

exquisite tea posted:

The flipside is that characters like Snow usually have some kind of revelatory moment where their prior assumptions of the world are challenged or they witness the destructive effects of their own can-do-it naivete. They learn from their mistakes and mature as a leader. This... just doesn't happen in FF13, the whole early conflict with Hope falls away without a satisfying payoff, and Snow has no motive to change because wouldn't you know it, he got an advance copy of the FF13 script and saw that just kind of irrationally hoping things work themselves out is The Right Thing to do.

I mean, literally the point of Chapter 7 Hope and Snow was Snow seeing that his dumb blind optimism didn't mean anything, and he was using it to run away from his problems, and how he almost got killed for it (by Hope). He admits this directly to Hope right after he tried to kill him. Him learning that he couldn't magically solve everything and figuring out that he was running away from his mistakes, ending up with him apologizing to Hope/Hope's father was the payoff for that arc.

Snow's point is to help inspire the party to defy their focus in the end. He goes through times where his optimism is challenged (early on when he can't accept that Serah is gone, his arc with Hope where he's running from his mistakes, and when he learned from Bart about Serah's true focus), and in getting past those challenges he finds more resolution in his ways. Typically we think of character arcs in forcing characters to change, but that's not what ends up being the best route in a lot of cases.

Snow returns back to his original way of thinking, which is frustrating for people who assume characters are supposed to shift, and are also personally annoyed at his optimism. But like it or not, "irrationally hoping things work themselves out" really is one of the big important parts of FF13 in the end, and Snow returning to optimism is a key part in helping the party realize that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Renoistic posted:

Most FF protags are actually pretty big failures for the majority of the story and only eke out a win in the end. Cecil constantly gives up crystals to the villain and whose main positive contributions are "recruit more competent characters like Yang, FuSoYa, and even Edward to save the day". 5-9's protags pretty much let their villains get what they want and ends in them having to clean up the resulting messes. They should just call it Failure Fantasy since it's a series all about people failing until deus ex machinas bail them out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jusupov posted:

You get the diamond armlet from the first chest in trial mode, then you die on wave 2 and continue the autosave in the game.

Trial mode is practically cheating so I dont use that exploit

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thinking about it, is Lightning the most powerful heroine? She's pretty much a goddess by LR so she's an obvious frontrunner. The alternatives are, what, Aerith's corpse, maaaaaybe Sorceress Rinoa, FF14's protag if you're playing a woman, and Relm if you consider the Sketch Glitch canon.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

Most FF protags are actually pretty big failures for the majority of the story and only eke out a win in the end. Cecil constantly gives up crystals to the villain and whose main positive contributions are "recruit more competent characters like Yang, FuSoYa, and even Edward to save the day". 5-9's protags pretty much let their villains get what they want and ends in them having to clean up the resulting messes. They should just call it Failure Fantasy since it's a series all about people failing until deus ex machinas bail them out.

Final Fantasy Megathread - They should just call it Failure Fantasy

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
LR Lightning is pretty much beyond the scope of most protaganists other than maaaaybe Noctis.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

and Relm if you consider the Sketch Glitch canon.

This is the true answer right here

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

d) manipulate RNG so you can get the best weapon in the game.

Also there's some side quest to deliver letters to every woman who manages the airship on each unique route.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Thinking about it, is Lightning the most powerful heroine? She's pretty much a goddess by LR so she's an obvious frontrunner. The alternatives are, what, Aerith's corpse, maaaaaybe Sorceress Rinoa, FF14's protag if you're playing a woman, and Relm if you consider the Sketch Glitch canon.

Of course she's the most powerful. She's also the most beautiful and the most pure. To help you understand, I've brought this rose...

Your Computer posted:

You made me go and check it out again. A lot of the changes sound pretty cool, at least on paper, but stuff like this in the FAQ makes me wary

(who's willing to bet :10bux: there's a 'pickle rick' in there somewhere) and as for the option to remove the edgy dialogue

I did try it out though. In about 30 minutes I got one-hit KO'ed twice by the enemies immediately outside Narshe (not a difficulty mod!), got a joke about Edgar's dick and was told to "piss off you bloody wanker" by an NPC. I guess the moral of the story is that romhacks are romhacks :v:

Eh, sorry if it's not working out. I didn't remember there being that much awful dialog, and definitely didn't remember running into many trash mobs that were especially dangerous. I did remember thinking the balance tweaks and gameplay changes (from when I played, again, 4+ years ago. Hell, maybe it was closer to 7 or 8, I don't remember. Definitely before magicite leveling stat gains were separated from level-up stat gains) being pretty good.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Probably the most powerful heroine under her own power, barring a female Warrior of Light from 14. Some of the summoners could probably take her if they get to use their summons, especially Rydia (being an incredibly powerful black mage who can also summon incredibly powerful beings to help out) or Garnet (who probably has the broken summons in the series plot-wise in IX's Bahamut, Atomos, and Odin.)

14's WoL is a very interesting case because the Echo is really subtly completely loving bullshit. While the WoL has the light's blessing as well, (plot spoilers ahead) It's increasingly weak as the story moves on, being granted to the WoL by a enfeebled goddess who's speeding her own death along simply providing it to the player, to the point where a crippled ancient dragon steps in and offers to be the WoL's power source instead at the cost of being able to sup on the Light to help facilitate it's own recovery but the real reason the WoL is able to fight gods born of prayer and power, infinitely powerful imperial weapons, and ancient reawakened evils is because the Echo gives the WoL brief glimpses of the past and, more importantly, the future. Those orange markers, red symbols, and all the tells the game uses to deliver mechanical information to the player so you can properly avoid or mitigate attacks? That's all canon. The Warrior of Light sees all of that, or at least some less mechanics-based version of that. When the Warrior of Light loses, and the fight restarts with the Echo providing a minor buff if you get far enough? That's also canon, as that's you seeing your failure in the Echo and (hopefully) learning how to prevent it.

And Savage/Extreme fights, usually presented as a strangely-familiar minstrel retelling tales of your victory against impossible odds to the rest of the world, all have one major change in common- they all take those orange AoE markers away. Because how would someone without the Echo understand how the Echo works when telling their stories to the rest of the world?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't like snow because he's a loving informer

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Locke posted:

Probably the most powerful heroine under her own power, barring a female Warrior of Light from 14. Some of the summoners could probably take her if they get to use their summons, especially Rydia (being an incredibly powerful black mage who can also summon incredibly powerful beings to help out) or Garnet (who probably has the broken summons in the series plot-wise in IX's Bahamut, Atomos, and Odin.)

14's WoL is a very interesting case because the Echo is really subtly completely loving bullshit. While the WoL has the light's blessing as well, (plot spoilers ahead) It's increasingly weak as the story moves on, being granted to the WoL by a enfeebled goddess who's speeding her own death along simply providing it to the player, to the point where a crippled ancient dragon steps in and offers to be the WoL's power source instead at the cost of being able to sup on the Light to help facilitate it's own recovery but the real reason the WoL is able to fight gods born of prayer and power, infinitely powerful imperial weapons, and ancient reawakened evils is because the Echo gives the WoL brief glimpses of the past and, more importantly, the future. Those orange markers, red symbols, and all the tells the game uses to deliver mechanical information to the player so you can properly avoid or mitigate attacks? That's all canon. The Warrior of Light sees all of that, or at least some less mechanics-based version of that. When the Warrior of Light loses, and the fight restarts with the Echo providing a minor buff if you get far enough? That's also canon, as that's you seeing your failure in the Echo and (hopefully) learning how to prevent it.

And Savage/Extreme fights, usually presented as a strangely-familiar minstrel retelling tales of your victory against impossible odds to the rest of the world, all have one major change in common- they all take those orange AoE markers away. Because how would someone without the Echo understand how the Echo works when telling their stories to the rest of the world?

You've got most of it right but not all of it. Dragon dad breaks our connection to her and doesn't give us his power for the echo. He was testing us to see if we were worthy of being called a hero or just propped up by Momma Crystal. During this trial of character we develop and strengthen our own aether and echo and by the time you roll up to Knights of the Round you're powering yourself.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Couldn't the FF8 women just eat Lightning

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Only on deviantart.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Help Im Alive posted:

Junction thundaga to magic-def and they’re golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you have any evidence for this

Asking not for a friend, but myself