Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Katt posted:

In the comic the women are blessed by the goddess to only give birth to girls.

I bet in the original draft they just dashed all the male babies against the rocks. Because if you're going to ask the goddess for a favour of divine intervention then you don't waste it on something a determined warrior nation can handle themselves (see 300).

I'm sure there's plenty of weird unfuckable men who'd work this element into their fetishization of Wonder Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This guy is straight up going to shoot up a place or kill someone at a bus stop or something someday isn't he?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

oh good, it's yet another subject that DP doesn't know dick from gently caress about
Lol there's not a lot to learn, but drat if it doesn't stop the endless verbiage from people trying their damndest to convince themselves

My fav thing is how they now want access to Queer organizations because they really, genuinely, think they're equivalent to gay people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

As I white racist I have no historical context on why an African country (imagined or otherwise) would have a distrust of people from other countries.

edit: also loling about the anti-Democracy thing that would make [x-country] great again

https://mobile.twitter.com/benshapiro/status/962068735832899586?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol there's not a lot to learn, but drat if it doesn't stop the endless verbiage from people trying their damndest to convince themselves

My fav thing is how they now want access to Queer organizations because they really, genuinely, think they're equivalent to gay people

Hi, I've worked in/run multiple queer activist orgs, as well as having a literal goddamn degree in queer studies. You are incorrect.

The systemic stigmatization of sexuality is a common thread between queer, trans, kinky, and non-monogamous individuals. The same process which demands a strict adherence to heterosexuality also relies upon the deliberate control of what kinds of hetero sex one is allowed to perform, often for a continual curtailing of radical activity, to say nothing of the BDSM of queer individuals. Like, looking at this old-rear end picture about the work of Gayle Rubin, who was taught in my intro to women's studies course, you can see how the outer edges of acceptable sexuality included BDSM was back in 1984. That's really drat oldschool in my field, so your ignorance of this work points out clearly that you have no idea what you are talking about. Hope this helps.

e: un-hotlinked, forgot about that.

T-man has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Feb 10, 2018

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Close but no cigar Ben.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Props to Chloe for dropping the loving Mic hammer down

https://twitter.com/cvaldary/status/962105009377865728

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

T-man posted:

Hi, I've worked in/run multiple queer activist orgs, as well as having a literal goddamn degree in queer studies. You are incorrect.

The systemic stigmatization of sexuality is a common thread between queer, trans, kinky, and non-monogamous individuals. The same process which demands a strict adherence to heterosexuality also relies upon the deliberate control of what kinds of hetero sex one is allowed to perform, often for a continual curtailing of radical activity, to say nothing of the BDSM of queer individuals. Like, looking at this old-rear end picture about the work of Gayle Rubin, who was taught in my intro to women's studies course, you can see how the outer edges of acceptable sexuality included BDSM was back in 1984. That's really drat oldschool in my field, so your ignorance of this work points out clearly that you have no idea what you are talking about. Hope this helps.

"cross-generational" lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

"cross-generational" lol

i'm hoping that's just like the pilots i've run into that are into their late 40s at least and doing their damnedest to date women in their early 20s.

which is still gross, but could be worse

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FFT posted:

i'm hoping that's just like the pilots i've run into that are into their late 40s at least and doing their damnedest to date women in their early 20s.

Don't DILFshame.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

FFT posted:

even if, what is the third ring of that segment

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Volcott posted:

Don't DILFshame.

uh excuse me, SDILF

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I would say things stigmatised for good reasons and acts typically illegal. Pedophilia, rape, extreme sexual sadism, etc.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Intoluene posted:

I would say things stigmatised for good reasons and acts typically illegal. Pedophilia, rape, extreme sexual sadism, etc.

prude

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

The source is in the picture, let yourself enjoy the magic of the reading rainbow today!

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

T-man posted:

The source is in the picture, let yourself enjoy the magic of the reading rainbow today!

uh, I'm straight sooo probably not going to read something

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can Ian be the thread mascot?
Don't tell Zuarg about this. :v:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ok, I'm going to take a shot. I think that they re saying is that if you ban zoos and aquariums from keeping cetaceans then it will make it harder for researchers to study them. Also if people cannot see the animals that environmentalists are trying to save they might not take as strong an interest in clean water policies and programs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zedd posted:

Don't tell Zuarg about this. :v:

Too late. He already owns crypto currency.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

T-man posted:

Lol, if we're going to be quoting old rear end lit then I'd love to go through actual feminists in the 80s and how they weren't terribly cool with men beating up women and then calling it arright because ~they consented~, but drat they don't have any nice pics

My fav about this is how the person who drew that was on your side and genuinely did not get how it looks in vacuum, haha

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Fifty Shades has led to an explosion of try-hard Dommy McDomPants guys who want to cloak their hatred of women by pretending to be in some sort of radical ~forbidden~ sexuality.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it is possible to acknowledge that it is bad for popular books to represent BDSM as a boundaries-free and consent-optional practice AND that it is bad when some elements within the BDSM community are trying to force their way under the "queer umbrella" against the will of people more traditionally under said umbrella.

(And also that there is some room for argument either way regarding BDSM/"queer" crossover, but said argument should probably be had by individual communities and not random dumbasses in a thread devoted to idiots on social media.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm a white accountant and i bought a riding crop and you making fun of me is basically a hate crime.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I think it is possible to acknowledge that it is bad for popular books to represent BDSM as a boundaries-free and consent-optional practice AND that it is bad when some elements within the BDSM community are trying to force their way under the "queer umbrella" against the will of people more traditionally under said umbrella.

(And also that there is some room for argument either way regarding BDSM/"queer" crossover, but said argument should probably be had by individual communities and not random dumbasses in a thread devoted to idiots on social media.)
Yeah, when we had that argument here, we had on one hand most of the oldest, most serious gay rights campaigners and almost all the lesbians who were against and on the other, a lot of bald men with bad beards and Q/T peeps, to everyones surprise, seemed to enjoy hurting women sexually but ~in a woke way bro~

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, when we had that argument here, we had on one hand most of the oldest, most serious gay rights campaigners and almost all the lesbians who were against and on the other, a lot of bald men with bad beards and Q/T peeps, to everyones surprise, seemed to enjoy hurting women sexually but ~in a woke way bro~

OK cool, congratulations, maybe other people in their own communities have different experiences. Also nobody in this loving thread cares.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

The LGBT flag. A black stripe with silver studs.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Puppy Time posted:

OK cool, congratulations, maybe other people in their own communities have different experiences. Also nobody in this loving thread cares.

:thurman:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I never read the book, and I know from excerpts it reads like bad fanfiction (because it is), but honestly I watched the movie with a friend as a laugh but it wasn't nearly as bad as everything I'd heard.

They lay out explicit rules and he respects them. The times he goes too far, she tells him off immediately and he backs off. She's not the blank slate pushover that Bella from Twilight is.

The big dramatic climax of the first movie which is supposed to show how broken and abusive he actually is and how she can be strong by breaking free is her outright asking him to push boundaries by whipping her which she always refused before. He asks her multiple times if she's sure, tells her exactly what's going to happen (he's going to hit her 5 times), checks in with her part way through, and makes sure she knows her safeword. Then after it's over and he's trying to do aftercare she flips out at him and calls him a monster and literally runs away. She initiated the more extreme scene and did not use the tools she had available to her.

I honestly wonder how many people who bash the movie have actually seen it, because it was not at all what I expected.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Less idiocy leaking out of the thread, more idiots from outside the thread, thanks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

I never read the book, and I know from excerpts it reads like bad fanfiction (because it is), but honestly I watched the movie with a friend as a laugh but it wasn't nearly as bad as everything I'd heard.

They lay out explicit rules and he respects them. The times he goes too far, she tells him off immediately and he backs off. She's not the blank slate pushover that Bella from Twilight is.

The big dramatic climax of the first movie which is supposed to show how broken and abusive he actually is and how she can be strong by breaking free is her outright asking him to push boundaries by whipping her which she always refused before. He asks her multiple times if she's sure, tells her exactly what's going to happen (he's going to hit her 5 times), checks in with her part way through, and makes sure she knows her safeword. Then after it's over and he's trying to do aftercare she flips out at him and calls him a monster and literally runs away. She initiated the more extreme scene and did not use the tools she had available to her.

I honestly wonder how many people who bash the movie have actually seen it, because it was not at all what I expected.

The movies tone down everything considerably. CONSIDERABLY. Mostly by taking out Christian Grey's horrifying anger issues or things like the time he actually rapes her in the first book. (She says no, he says if she resists, he'll tie her down and do it anyway.)

That final scene in the book? He doesn't do most of that. She says she isn't up for being punished. He reminds her that she said (IN HER SLEEP) that she would never leave him. He basically coerces her into the scene. She doesn't use her safe word because she's speechless in pain, and he never checks in with her whatsoever. He just beats her while she cries. Then she calls him a monster and leaves.

Why the gently caress is this a 13 second video?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Less idiocy leaking out of the thread, more idiots from outside the thread, thanks.

Is someone letting hyenas post on facebook?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why the gently caress is this a 13 second video?

Everything is videos on Facebook because it gets higher exposure (or people think it does).

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Just start unfollowing any page that makes a post like that.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

Just start unfollowing any page that makes a post like that.

I deleted my facebook while super drunk, no regrets

fake e: actually some minor regrets like keeping up with some family across the country but overall worth it

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dave Grool posted:

I deleted my facebook while super drunk, no regrets

fake e: actually some minor regrets like keeping up with some family across the country but overall worth it

I thought drinking was supposed to impair judgement and not improve it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Katt posted:

I thought drinking was supposed to impair judgement and not improve it.

Probably depends on your baseline.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/norskieMN/status/962475794760130560

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Feb 11, 2018

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

Idiots on Social Media: Your clit has a tiny lil hole & it can be stretched open

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

I'm old enough to remember when comparing W to Batman was the dumbest comic book movie poo poo you'd read online

I remember an op-ed from TownHall.com, from the Iraq War era, talking about how liberals were like Dustin Hoffman from Marathon Man, whereas conservatives were like Liam Neeson from Darkman

The idea being that Neeson ultimately realizes that he's not going bother worrying about what he must to do bad people, whereas Hoffman lives in a liberal fantasy where the villain can be punished without he himself crossing a line

It was mad loving dumb, but Darkman is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
The free market has spoken: pay five bucks to see the dancing freak!