Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Oasx posted:

The cyclops combined the lava section was not fun, and it was the first time the game felt like a chore. But I completed the game and overall it is a great experience. I just hope the developers get around to fixing all the bugs that have been around for years.

Something odd happened to my base towards the end, the upper part of it became completely flooded despite the structure being high, and the lights were notability dimmer. Not sure if it was a bug or I did something wrong.

the dim lights thing happened to me too, not sure why. probably a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm sad that large numbers of flares seems to tank the framerate. I wanted to light up the ocean in front of my house.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sad that large numbers of flares seems to tank the framerate. I wanted to light up the ocean in front of my house.

setup exterior beds and plant creepvine seeds. those fuckers are way bright

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Another rather dumb thing is how you don't get the blueprint for one rocket part until you've built the previous one. Making one huge fetch quest into five different ones is kinda stupid when there's no logical in-game reason you wouldn't have the ingredient list before you start building.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Asimo posted:

The shield module zaps those off the cyclopse when it's activated! :pseudo: Doesn't actually kill them, at least the first time, but it sends them scurrying away so same net effect.

I could have sworn I tried that and it did nothing, but that might be because I didn't actually turn it on again after the buggers got onto my hull.

priznat posted:

My one aggro moment in the game was when I was navigating Lost River in my Cyclops and a Ghost Leviathan came out of nowhere (seriously, I think it just came through a wall) and started wreckin my sub.

I ran back and lept into my PRAWN, dropped and grappled and drilled it until it ran away. It tried getting away once after I fell off but I felt it hadn’t had enough so jetpacked up and managed to grab again for more drill baby drill.

Didn’t kill it but gave it a lesson to never gently caress with a man’s ride.
This happened to me in late beta, only it was a normal leviathan at the butt of the aurora. I was like 'dangit go away i want to salvage' so I got out of my PRAWN and started to go to town. It promptly clipped my PRAWN through the geometry and I had no grapple or boosted jets to get back up so I had only one way to go...

Clipping through geometry can still happen by the way. Happened when I was magnetite drilling in the shroom caves. This time I had a grapple though :getin:

QuantaStarFire posted:

I keep avoiding the deeper parts of the ocean. Warpers and Crabsquids just look scary as heck (but then, so did Bonesharks until I could Repulsor them away). I've also been grabbed by a Reaper a couple of times. Am I being overly cautious here?

Honestly, there are only two creatures in the game that you really have to be scared of because they are the biggest baddest mofo's in the ocean: Adult Ghost Satans out in the black that are there specifically to mess you up if you try to leave the game world, and Super Sea Satans who will one-shot you if you're out of a vehicle.

Crab Squids are freaky and make freaky noises but most of the time their EMP pulse misses me completely. Even when I'm sitting still charging a stasis shot to get a scan of them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inside the pod was a single seaglide. :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I found the Sea Dragon Leviathan to not be much of a threat, he swims above where I am digging up resources in my PRAWN and yells and sometime shoots a fireball but doesn’t really do anything. So we just kind of ignore each other.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Do the creatures in the game reproduce asexually? Twice during the game i experienced that a creature in my alien containment had multiplied even though i am sure there was only one creature in there when i left.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's most Leviathans really. Initially very intimidating and fully able to gently caress poo poo up, at the end of the day they're like most wild animals, happy to leave you alone and be left alone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oasx posted:

Do the creatures in the game reproduce asexually? Twice during the game i experienced that a creature in my alien containment had multiplied even though i am sure there was only one creature in there when i left.

In gameplay terms, a pair is required before they'll reproduce, but I wouldn't be shocked if it glitched out.

Lore-wise, there's this codex entery from one of the alien bases,

quote:

This terminal contains extensive alien research data on the local fauna, with a special focus on their reproductive methods. Core conclusions have been synthesized:

- The aliens discovered just one sex on the planet
- They observed local organisms engaging in asexual reproduction
- All healthy individuals tested were capable of egg-laying
- Eggs usually required the genetic material from another of the species
- However in rare case only one parent was required, with evolutionary mutation introduced by the effects of the environment itself

Research appears to have been focused around hatching conditions and genetic variations between parent and child.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Skippy McPants posted:

That's most Leviathans really. Initially very intimidating and fully able to gently caress poo poo up, at the end of the day they're like most wild animals, happy to leave you alone and be left alone.

And sometimes they just get all up in your grill. In trying to figure out how to get into the lava castle I just wouldn't be left alone. I even backed off a couple of times but nope, the Super Sea Satans followed me all over the place. Multiple Fireball barrages, dodging from side to side with jump jets, getting smacked with fins. It kept happening and was really annoying plus the damage was adding up pretty quickly.

Then I looked up and saw two of them.

'Oh. That explains getting chain-fireballed.'

After that I thought they weren't that big a deal, enough for me to seaglide around the lava lakes looking for some stuff to make another blue tablet.
Don't do that. They are faster than a seaglide and kill you instantly.

Good thing I only had tools in my inventory then and had last exited from my cyclops at the edge of the lake!

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
First thing I did in the inactive lava zone was immobilize a dragon and scan it.

Those medium-sized predatory fish in there are worse, they are relentlessly agressive and don't seem to care about being drilled in the face

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I guess this is his room now.

Sloober posted:

setup exterior beds and plant creepvine seeds. those fuckers are way bright

Cool, now if only I could find the blueprint for those :negative:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess this is his room now.

Cool, now if only I could find the blueprint for those :negative:

Go towards a cloud formation to the southwest.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

Go towards a cloud formation to the southwest.

That's a multipurpose room, he's been there. The exterior growbeds are right outside of the multipurpose rooms that have marble melons and the potatoes in them.

There's also one or two around the koosh zone wreck.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There's more than one place to scan multipurpose rooms

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's a multipurpose room, he's been there.

Unless he said he'd been there in an earlier post, having the multipurpose room isn't proof; you can get that from the jellyshroom caves or the deep grand reef.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I thought it was my lot in life to be a guy who crashes a submarine into fish, but now I know that my true calling is fish puncher.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

Unless he said he'd been there in an earlier post, having the multipurpose room isn't proof; you can get that from the jellyshroom caves or the deep grand reef.

:doh: I forget about the jellyshroom one.

I find it much harder to believe that someone would get it from the deep grand reef though. That's a ways down and tucked away.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Updated the Pull From Containers mod a bit - it now caches the container-finding call:
https://gist.github.com/HexiDave/436fb5cac57c170e8633c07e1ce4d7f5

The "fix" is a bit of a hack, but it beats modding 3-4 other files. No more lag spike when opening a fabricator now, though.

I'm gonna look into a few things this weekend, like auto-crafting sub-components and more toolbar slots. I'll also try posting the compiled DLL for people who don't feel like monkey-patching code manually.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

uXs posted:

Another rather dumb thing is how you don't get the blueprint for one rocket part until you've built the previous one. Making one huge fetch quest into five different ones is kinda stupid when there's no logical in-game reason you wouldn't have the ingredient list before you start building.

Pretty sure you're not meant to wait until the very end of the game to build the rocket; you can start immediately on getting the plans, which is why it takes progressively later-game materials to build the later parts.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I fired up the game today and now my save says "damaged save file." Is there any way to fix this? I tried a solution I found that mentions deleting the CellsCache folder but it didn't seem to work. I have 30 hours in this save file, I am not playing this again if I can't recover it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My sea hare friend got outside so I replaced him with a new friend that is physically incapable of escaping.

So am I right in thinking this game actually keeps wildlife spawns consistent? I didn't think it would but I released a bunch of animals from different biomes outside my house and they are still there ages later. Also it would explain why I never see bladder fish near my home since I hunted the local population to extinction.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Microcline posted:

They got the cyclops in a decent place balance wise in that it's effectively invincible as long as it's not being used to deliberately antagonize leviathans.

I agree with the balance part but I also took the steps advised by this thread the first time my Cyclops took aggro from the Lost River Ghost Leviathan (engine off, step away from the helm), it continued to attack my boat and it was doing hull damage.

Vorkosigan posted:

At least there's the view....

:golfclap:

uXs posted:

Yeah I dropped the platform right above my 300m-deep main habitat and parked the Cyclops which was packed completely full of everything that hadn't been nailed down from any of my outposts with the hatch right next to a ladder, so it wasn't bad.

Thought I was going to have to make a titanium run, but instead I disassembled one of my Moon Pools for titanium ingots, much more convenient. Also it turns out the fastest way down was dropping in the PRAWN from the Cyclops, then parking it and taking the formerly-parked Seamoth back up.

Dropped the highest-tier pressure modules, a couple of PRAWN arms, and a single stalker tooth into my time capsule, along with a picture of all three of my vehicles posed near my Kelp Forest base at night. Hopefully it saves someone a bunch of time on their second playthrough, or at least the first five slots do.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Boy I sure wish I had more toolbar slots...

:unsmigghh:

I can't package the code for this one as easily because you have to dick with the IL code directly due to some bug(s) in dnSpy not wanting to recompile certain things. I've got a few more things to play with, then I'll put a copy of the DLL up.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Thought I was going to have to make a titanium run, but instead I disassembled one of my Moon Pools for titanium ingots, much more convenient. Also it turns out the fastest way down was dropping in the PRAWN from the Cyclops, then parking it and taking the formerly-parked Seamoth back up.

The moonpool is kind of weird in that it's almost entirely a mild convenience/cosmetic structure but costs four times as many resources as any other base element. The only gameplay use is to construct a vehicle modification station to make a prawn depth module and arms, and it can be deconstructed immediately afterward (depth modules are upgraded at the general modification station).

It feels like it was originally supposed to be a much larger gameplay element.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

This is how it feels, tbh. Even Reapers I get the impression only grab my Seamoth because it's way too loud. "WILL. YOU. STOP. MAKING. SO. MUCH. NOISE? AND TURN OFF THAT DAMNED LIGHT!" and then I'm at 30 durability and left to go on my way while contemplating my life.

Meanwhile, the Cyclops comes in on Slow Mode + Silent Running and they're all "As you were."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Microcline posted:

It feels like it was originally supposed to be a much larger gameplay element.

Recharging without having to pull batteries out and customizing vehicles are a pretty big gameplay element though.

Now if only they repaired/I could get at my PRAWN storage from in them and they'd be perfect :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The moonpool is important because exploiting it is the only way I can figure out to get droppable items inside your base. With the propulsion gun you can pick them up and enter your base via the moonpool, at which point you can then drop them in place by scrolling the mouse wheel. Obviously not intended behavior since you can also kidnap live fish and have them swim around the air through the same method.

I feel like I must have missed something painfully obvious but it doesn't seem like there's any normal way to just drop items inside a structure.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So am I right in thinking this game actually keeps wildlife spawns consistent? I didn't think it would but I released a bunch of animals from different biomes outside my house and they are still there ages later. Also it would explain why I never see bladder fish near my home since I hunted the local population to extinction.

it definitely seems like it, every time I return to the escape pod I see a fish swimming around with a floater attached to it, and it seems like the same species of fish every time so it might just flat out be the same fish?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure if it keeps all wildlife consistent, but it definitely keeps track of critters you've captured and released at the very least. And if you fish close to a base you'll eventually run out of the types of fish you were grabbing.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Subnautica is a great example of a 3d metroidvania (with added crafting) and I'll yell at anyone that disagrees.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jorge Bell posted:

Subnautica is a great example of a 3d metroidvania (with added crafting) and I'll yell at anyone that disagrees.

Now I want someone to mod the Gravity Suit into the game.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Now I want someone to mod the Gravity Suit into the game.

Do you really want to run away from reapers instead of getting in a ship that can move in 3 dimensions and much faster rate?

...maybe if you could hold the charge on a stasis gun.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nullEntityRNG posted:

Do you really want to run away from reapers instead of getting in a ship that can move in 3 dimensions and much faster rate?

...maybe if you could hold the charge on a stasis gun.

Use the Grapple Beam to grab onto one of the Reaper's tentacles and line yourself up to give it a missile to the face

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NfCXFOGu8

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you reload a game before taking off in the rocket and make a new time capsule, does that also count or does each player only get one?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

HexiDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NfCXFOGu8

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

Sweet. You posting this elsewhere or waiting for a modmanager?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Sweet. You posting this elsewhere or waiting for a modmanager?

I was actually thinking about taking a crack at building a mod manager this weekend. I don't know how viable using https://github.com/pardeike/Harmony is - I've seen it used with the Nitrox multiplayer mod, but I don't know if I feel like writing a bunch of IL code if it ends up being required for all mods. I need to do some research.

I don't really post anywhere else, but if you know anyone that thinks they'd have fun with it be my guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This game makes my gpu run at 100% and get fairly warm. Are there any unimportant graphical options I can lower that are known to utilise the Gpu above what should be expected?