Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

DoubleNegative posted:

Highfive RDM allagan coat of casting buddy. I just swapped over to using that last night, after I got tired of looking at the shire caster coat dyed red.

Quoting myself to add pictures now that I'm at my desk.

Old glamour.

New glamour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Holyshoot posted:

L M A O. Lets have a race. You get to install and get working ACT and I have to install a dps meter in wow. I bet my account I will win. You won't even have ACT installed by the time I am logged into wow with a functioning dps meter.

Imagine thinking its hard to click a download link.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Imagine thinking its hard to click a download link.

:rolleyes:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Looking at all the RDM screenshots I have a lot of regrets wrt how I got BLM to 70 using MSQ. Ik it's easier now but after playing DRK/AST the DPS queue is the enemy and I had no idea how I managed throughout ARR/HW/SB.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

L M A O. Lets have a race. You get to install and get working ACT and I have to install a dps meter in wow. I bet my account I will win. You won't even have ACT installed by the time I am logged into wow with a functioning dps meter.

lol

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I dunno what point you're trying to make but the effort of installing ACT is not much more

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It took me a while to actually get act working because it doesn't tell you anywhere you have to run it as admin

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dryzen posted:

I dunno what point you're trying to make but the effort of installing ACT is not much more

It's vastly easier to install a dps addon in wow then it is to get ACT up and running. That is my point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but that "vast" difference is the difference between a minute and maybe five minutes.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

It's vastly easier to install a dps addon in wow then it is to get ACT up and running. That is my point.

It is definitely not vastly easier. You can install ACT, drop in a plugin for the overlay, and plug an overlay URL in to whatever plugin you choose to use in a very short amount of time. Yes, this is more work than hitting download on a mod client but vastly easier is really not the phrase to use.

If you want to talk about how accessible it is, then yes a dps parser in wow is much more accessible than ACT. I don't expect anyone to know about the overplay plugins to use if they are new and I do not think that it is as useful to have ACT without any form of overlay. It would be nice if there was a more all in one solution but I don't expect anyone to put in the work to get one working.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

It took me a while to actually get act working because it doesn't tell you anywhere you have to run it as admin

You should only need to if FFXIV was booted with elevated permissions (i.e., it just did a patch before booting).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dryzen posted:

It is definitely not vastly easier. You can install ACT, drop in a plugin for the overlay, and plug an overlay URL in to whatever plugin you choose to use in a very short amount of time. Yes, this is more work than hitting download on a mod client but vastly easier is really not the phrase to use.

If you want to talk about how accessible it is, then yes a dps parser in wow is much more accessible than ACT. I don't expect anyone to know about the overplay plugins to use if they are new and I do not think that it is as useful to have ACT without any form of overlay. It would be nice if there was a more all in one solution but I don't expect anyone to put in the work to get one working.

You're correct. And it should be more accessible. From SE's end, because they want to keep their system walled off to any sort of mod.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

MMOs attract plenty of people who don't do gaming outside of them and are pretty computer averse. I would bet most WoW players never touch addons. Anecdotally I can't think of anyone I knew IRL who used them. I had to push people into just AH stuff with the promise of all the gold they were passing up.

People who are going to install a third party program to parse their game are going to be so much rarer than screwing around with semi-official addons.

Damage meters are a whole messy thing, but it would fit ffxiv's style to add some private stats at the end of a dungeon/raid. Letting people know they did 40% of the average level <X> <class> damage would help people who want to improve.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should only need to if FFXIV was booted with elevated permissions (i.e., it just did a patch before booting).

This doesn't match my experience

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Suplex'd that savage train. Casual Fridays Tuesdays no wait really Fridays almost relevant!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Hey, I did say should

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Just blame windows for this one

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I installed ACT but boy there are a lot of tabs and options and while it's giving me a nice pop-up overlay of a mob I target's numerical HP I sure don't see my lovely party's DPS anywhere.

I'll have to look into it further

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I confess an unhealthy love for the Ala Mhigan casting coat. Something about the greatcoat look with the fur collar works for me.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've kicked really bad players from dungeons before and I don't feel bad about it :colbert: The worst offender I think was a brd that auto attacked once per pull and then stood around. They did so little I actually saw them unsheathe their weapon during a pull. The worst part was they weren't even afk, they were loving moving around and idk pretending to attack I guess?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Don't understand the love for the overlays of ACT. I guess it makes sense if you only have a single monitor but ehhhhhh it's not that difficult to just tab to it.

Anyway, people in WoW have had parsers for years and it was still, as of the last time I played around Pandaria, an endless march of utterly terrible players reagrdless. Community was a whole lot shittier though, so you aren't really selling me on why we should risk the moderately decent community of ff14 for some likely imaginary upswell of competent players.

The bottom line for people is, and always has been that doing good dps is essentially like having to do homework, and that poo poo is for losers. You need to do outside research, you need to know how to run a parsing tool and then make heads or tales of what it is outputting. You probably need to talk to other good players that you know as well, just to corroborate whatever nonsense you turned up anyway, since half the guides I've looked at have been partially wrong anyway. And then on occasion you get to throw out a lot of what you learned on patch days or expansion launches. All of this is a big ask when as far as I can tell 75% of people don't read or remember the tooltips of their abilities.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Image posted with no context.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I confess an unhealthy love for the Ala Mhigan casting coat. Something about the greatcoat look with the fur collar works for me.

Same, I am the biggest sucker for fur on clothes. If I weren't already using that coat for my ranged glam it would definitely be my caster coat of choice.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Does it automagically pull the overlays and create the overlay for me? Tell me where to put the overlay html folder? Tell me to make sure my firewall isn't blocking the ports?

So your argument is that all people need are for scoreboards to show up, and then they'll suddenly be motivated to look up rotations, study, and practice to get better.

Meanwhile, here you are, demonstrating that people don't want to go the slightest bit out of their way to follow even the simplest instructions.

I hope you can at least recognize the irony.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brainamp posted:

Doom Train cleared.

Congrats! But it's the Phantom Train! :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any fight specific tricks as a melee in O6S people can think of? My two clears are 9th and 16th percentile without deaths and I was used to getting pretty good parses in deltascape. Lyrina Galera on Ultros if someone wants to look at my actual runs on fflogs

The main thing is to make sure they don't try to stick you with handling paint that you don't need to handle. O6S is near training dummy levels of uptime once you learn to time your movements to follow the boss, with the added bonus of no positionals to worry about so you can basically go nuts. Weave the fire resist painting between GCDs, grab the airplane painting at the last possible second, and make the other jerks worry about all the rest.

Tethers can be handled if both people stand at max melee range on opposite sides of the boss, so as long as your group is positioned properly there's no need to stop attacking. The only time you will be forced away from the boss is if you get targeted by the ink AoEs that chase you around. You may also need to step out of melee range for a GCD or so during the water cast where you have to hide behind the rock. When he's in front of the wind painting there is a really narrow sliver of space where you can hit him and still be safe behind the rock, but an inch too far out and you're dead.

I try to anticipate the boss' movement by backstepping into his path right before he moves, but that's more for cool points than actually improving my DPS since a charge will work just as well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thundarr posted:

You may also need to step out of melee range for a GCD or so during the water cast where you have to hide behind the rock.

The rock has no collision so you can actually hide within the rock and still be in range to hit him with your abilities. I think it's a bit too far out for your autoattacks to connect, though.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Noooooo Scorpion harness goo awayyyyy

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Holyshoot posted:

Is this what my posting is like to the rest of you?

Dear God.

Also you’ll win because the wow client is designed for getting in game faster because it crashes all the fuckin time. You don’t ever have to put in login info.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How do you have to gently caress up the wow client to make it crash all the time? I guess SE really saves people from themselves by not letting them install third party trash.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I had a few crashes during Legion using an entirely unmodified WoW client (and a few bugs I had to resolve by clearing my cache and poo poo). off hand, I can't remember a time that happened to me in FFXIV.

obviously the difference between 'a few' and 'zero' isn't a whole lot, just saying the naked wow client isn't infallible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

this is my dog

helo dog

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

So your argument is that all people need are for scoreboards to show up, and then they'll suddenly be motivated to look up rotations, study, and practice to get better.

Meanwhile, here you are, demonstrating that people don't want to go the slightest bit out of their way to follow even the simplest instructions.

I hope you can at least recognize the irony.

If said person sees they are below the tank in dps they might be prompted to try. Right now they have no clue.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Is this what my posting is like to the rest of you?

Dear God.

Also you’ll win because the wow client is designed for getting in game faster because it crashes all the fuckin time. You don’t ever have to put in login info.

You should fix your computer friend. The ffxiv client crashes more(oh no i unplugged my headphones ffxiv gonna crash now) then the wow client for me. And I'll win because it's two clicks compared to the multiple steps that includes getting your overlay up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm having DirectX crashes pretty regularly in FFXIV for some reason, a handful per week.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this is my dog

helo dog
good boy

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

He stood exactly where he is now for the entire fight after the first 15 seconds and pushed no non-emote buttons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I'm having DirectX crashes pretty regularly in FFXIV for some reason, a handful per week.

Turn off DX11 in the launcher

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Turn off DX11 in the launcher

no

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Guess Im lucky, never had a crash from ff14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, i didn't expect the alchemist job questline of all places to drop on me who's responsible for the death of Minfilia's father.

Speaking of questlines - poor Brithael can never catch a break. :( Dude just wants to relax a little.

edit: Wow and now the ALC quests turned into an episode of CSI

edit2: Actually it seems to be an episode of Law & Order SVU

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 10, 2018