Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grundulum posted:

That may be the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to sex as “family obligations”. Your parents/in-laws demanding grandkids soon?

Hell, I know mine are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Barnstormer is my kids' first roller coaster. Seeing my 2 year old baby with her hands in the air having a blast makes it a-okay in my book.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hell, I know mine are

DON'T GIVE IN.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

Anytime that's not during a regular vacation or holiday period tends to be your best bet. There's no such thing as slow time in Disney anymore, just less bad time.

Worth noting that Labor Day is a bit of an exception to the “holidays are rough” rule of thumb. Kids are less likely to be pulled out of school, since for many it’s very early in the year if not the first week back.

We went that week and got very good crowds. Hot as balls on a couple days though. Looking forward to that week again...I’ll be emailing Braks soon enough. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I will say that when I last rode it, it was during Magic Hours. In front of us was a a really little kid, definitely in the target demographic. He just had the time of his life, and considering the lack of crowds so late the guys running it let him ride it over and over without getting off.

Considering that, I'll always have pretty good memories of it. Probably wouldn't ride it again, especially with any sort of line.

It's great for the really really tiny little kids and I like them having something fun, but it could really use like... some themeing and a bit of a longer track. It's literally less than a minute long.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Flying out this afternoon, think we have everything planned out for this weekend. Thanks again to braksgirl on helping plan out another Disney trip!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BlueBayou posted:

I rode Rockin Roller Coaster about 12 days after having a concussion. Didn't occur to me that it was a terrible idea until I was already strapped in.

5/10 would not recommend.

I rode Revenge of the Mummy at Universal a few days after getting in a car crash. I didn't know I had whiplash until I got off the coaster.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
This trip has been a goddamn comedy of errors thanks to American Airlines. At least my sister is having a blast down at MK today. We won’t get into WDW until about 230am. And that’s after landing in a completely different airport and renting a car and driving 1.5 hours.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sorry for airline garbage, but at least you'll arrive to some fantastic weather. Been an incredible past few weeks and I'm excited to take the little cousins next week while it's nice and cool in the evenings.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Took a flight at 540am this morning to start my honeymoon and got to Hollywood Studios by 10am. Had an amazing day. Lately I’ve been prone to motion sickness on rides and rollercoasters, but Rock’n Rollercoaster is so smooth it didn’t affect me at all. Only ride that made me feel sick was Star Tours cuz of the jerking around.

Despite Tower of Terror being down to one track all day, got to ride it twice. Also saw fantasmic and both of the projection shows at the Chinese theater. I was blown away by the Star Wars show.

Can’t wait for MK tomorrow.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Has anyone ever taken dramamine for ride based motion sickness? My mom can't stand motion simulators much less circle-vision.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Quixotic1 posted:

Has anyone ever taken dramamine for ride based motion sickness? My mom can't stand motion simulators much less circle-vision.

My ex had really bad motion sickness, and we tried everything. She was always fine on coasters or dark rides, but anything 3d or whatever would basically wreck her day.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Weee Florida weather at midnight is a hell of a lot better than daytime weather at home right now. One hour of drive time left until Haus of Maus.

Yeah apparently our first flight was delayed thanks to the prop breaking and being unable to repair it. Eventually 3 hours later they sent a new plane to Charlotte and then to us. Then, all of the United States is headed to Orlando this weekend as every single flight into MCO and Sanford are booked solid until tomorrow night. We ended up flying into Daytona Beach, which means I’ve now seen the Speedway as it’s on the other side of the airport. Four hour total travel turns into 13 hours.

Bonus thing - check your drivers licenses for REAL ID - if you don’t have it on there you might not be able to get on a plane. I forgot my passport at my house and had to get my husband to drive an hour to me to drop it off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Old Man Pants posted:

My ex had really bad motion sickness, and we tried everything. She was always fine on coasters or dark rides, but anything 3d or whatever would basically wreck her day.

This is me. Dramamine, scopalamine patch, wristbands, ginger gum, asking to sit in the very center, making sure the glasses are spotless.

At the end of our last trip my SiL and her husband said they got acupuncture for sea sickness on their cruise. In two years when we go back, I'm going to try it. I have nothing to lose and it's covered by my insurance.

Yes I know acupuncture is ridiculous. All the fun new rides are 3d. :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anya posted:

Bonus thing - check your drivers licenses for REAL ID - if you don’t have it on there you might not be able to get on a plane.

I'm confused as to what this means.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Certain states require additional verification (aka additional fees to add on a bogus level of verification) to your license, and if you don't have it, they won't let you board a plane.

It's not mandated in every state yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Certain states require additional verification (aka additional fees to add on a bogus level of verification) to your license, and if you don't have it, they won't let you board a plane.

That sounds terrible. How is a state issued photo ID not sufficient?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
what the gently caress

how is that real

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Welcome to America.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The way I understood it was that since states set their own ID standards, a bunch of them didn't meet the federal standard when the Real ID act was passed, and when the government was like "no, really, we're enforcing this now," they scrambled and worked out extensions to phase in the new standards. Like, New York was on the bad kids list and I was going to have to use my passport, but now it isn't and I'm still good to use the same driver's license but will get the updated version when the time comes to renew it. I could be wrong on the details though.

Hey Braks, any guess on whether there will be room deals around the first week of September? It looks like I'm headed to Orlando for work right after Labor Day, so I figure I'll do a long Disney weekend afterward. A friend of mine is joining me and we might go for a more expensive resort if there are any discounts.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

The additional steps I had to take was to present my passport at the DMV when I renewed my license. Could also have presented my birth certificate or something. But yes, there are definitely additional fees to obtain those identifying documents.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I had to get a new drivers license here in Florida 2 years ago. The new Florida drivers license are Real ID compliant.

The Federal Real ID Act requires documentation that establishes your identity when applying for a Florida Driver License or ID Card. A STAR on your Florida Driver License or Florida ID Card means you are Real ID compliant.

Look for the Circle/Yellow star at the end of your license number.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Pretty sure I’m in Brazil right now.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Line for flight of passage was 210 minutes one hour after opening this morning.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Line for flight of passage was 210 minutes one hour after opening this morning.

I've been stalking this thread for a couple weeks now, and I don't understand things like this at all. How is this even possible? Wouldn't it be utterly trivial for Disney to make like 300 seats for Flight of Passage? I can understand a full rollercoaster having long lines and limited entrance numbers, but for rides like that it seems like a big middle finger to everyone there? (Edit: if it was a super new ride I could understand, but it's been almost a year.)

I remember going to Disneyland LA when I was a kid on a school weekday in November and the lines all being like 5 minutes long, but the two times I've been back to Disneyland and Disneyworld more recently (though last time was 10 years ago) I think I rode like 4 things each time on a full day. I'm sure I'll go back at some point whenif I have children, but reading this thread makes Disney seems like it's some game you have to minmax and plan to the T and figure out all the tricks and tips or you're hosed standing in lines for 3 hours only to be told you're too fat/skinny/tall/short to enjoy the attraction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These things are very very expensive. They already spent 500 million on the expansion, and they have limited space to deal with as well.

Don't forget, Disney doesn't want you standing in long lines, when you're in a long queue you are not spending money. It's in their best interest to keep you moving swiftly around the park as well. It's just a matter of insane logistics to manage that level of demand and there not being any real solution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I'd imagine some difficulty with Flight of Passage is that it's moving seats sitting in front of screens. It's not like an auditorium where you can knock out a few walls and install chairs. I'm not sure exactly how many seats it already has, but 300 feels like you'd need to build a whole new ride building and connect it to the existing one.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Had Tiffin’s for lunch. Good, not great. Do not understand the hype.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

effervescible posted:

Hey Braks, any guess on whether there will be room deals around the first week of September? It looks like I'm headed to Orlando for work right after Labor Day, so I figure I'll do a long Disney weekend afterward. A friend of mine is joining me and we might go for a more expensive resort if there are any discounts.

Hard to say. Labor Day can be pretty crowded so no need to offer discounts, but historically, there have been some. They don't tell us ahead of time what discounts they're going to have when so I really couldn't say.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Saladman posted:

I'm sure I'll go back at some point whenif I have children, but reading this thread makes Disney seems like it's some game you have to minmax and plan to the T and figure out all the tricks and tips or you're hosed standing in lines for 3 hours only to be told you're too fat/skinny/tall/short to enjoy the attraction.

It can be difficult to get the most out of Disney World without a touring plan for each day. However it may be possible if you follow the one golden rule with Disney theme parks: get to the entrance 45 mins before opening time and hit the big rides first. You'll get more done in the first two hours then you will for the rest of the day. Then get the hell out in the afternoon and enjoy a nap and the hotel pool. Go back to the park in the evening for fireworks.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Braksgirl posted:

Hard to say. Labor Day can be pretty crowded so no need to offer discounts, but historically, there have been some. They don't tell us ahead of time what discounts they're going to have when so I really couldn't say.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out. It'll be a nice bonus if there is one but no big deal if not.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah I plan to rope drop Animal Kingdom tomorrow at 7am so I’m waking up at 5. Epcot is so relaxed today, I’ve really only been here during Food and Wine or Flower Garden. Friend of mine’s daughter works in logistics or something, said this week is the lowest forecast week of the year.

West Virginia is compliant but my drivers license isn’t because it is before they created it. So, thank god for my passport. It all started the 22nd of January but they’ve been working on the states expanding for several years. WV is supposed to be in compliance but if you fill out a form at the airport, TSA might let you through.

Super late edit: finally hit up Trader Sam’s - the hype is legit. Karma kudos to the nice couple who bought me a shot of rum.

Anya fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2018

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Flight of Passage awesome

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
In two weeks I’m going to Disney world for the first time! As soon as I was able I set up my fast passes, but flight of passage was full already :( not looking forward to the 280 minute wait.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Not worth it. Ride Everest like six or seven times instead. Unless you never, ever plan to go back to Animal Kingdom, I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would rope drop FOP in that case

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Since my wife and I were the first of the day and last of the night on Splash Mountain last night (and it’s our honeymoon), the cast members decided to give us free t-shirts and a free printout of our ride photo along with frame. Definitely a great end to our MK day.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is Disney able to add people to FPs after? There's somebody in my party that it says I manage and am friends with and am staring at their reservation. It'll let me choose their significant other but not them for fastpasses I woke up early on a Saturday just now to make and I am ripshit.

Update: The third agent got changed my party to the 4 of us for all FPs including both FOPs I booked and was awesome. Still, what a poo poo process.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 10, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

remigious posted:

In two weeks I’m going to Disney world for the first time! As soon as I was able I set up my fast passes, but flight of passage was full already :( not looking forward to the 280 minute wait.

I have a pal going at the same time. It's a good time to go.

Go to AK about 2 hours before opening. Go directly to Pandora and straight to Flight of Passage. Should be about a 25-45 minute wait.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Go to AK about 2 hours before opening. Go directly to Pandora and straight to Flight of Passage. Should be about a 25-45 minute wait.

That’s still 145-165 minutes of waiting. Yeah, it’s better than 280, but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Grundulum posted:

That’s still 145-165 minutes of waiting. Yeah, it’s better than 280, but I dunno.

If you're serious about efficient touring, remember that not only is it maybe 100 minutes less, but almost all that waiting is before the park opens. You've paid for your tickets already; the de facto currency for your WDW vacation now is time. Spending that wait time before the parks open (and you couldn't be doing anything else...well, other than sleeping) means you have more time to hit other attractions, including in the important first 1-2 hours of operations, when lines will be minimal.

Also, fun fact about closing times, if you're more of a night owl - as long as you're queued at the posted closing time for the park, they'll let you ride. So if the park closes at 10, you can queue for Flight of Passage at 9:55 and you'll get to ride. Again, you'll be waiting for a while, but the wait occurs when you couldn't really be doing much else.

This all assumes a certain level of enthusiasm for doing poo poo on your vacation that isn't relaxing, haha.