Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Woops we turned on the sensor array and in a startling discovery it turns out information has mass and it collapsed into a black hole and ate the system it was in.

Obviously we need to build another one so we can have a look at what happened to the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Speaking of the sentry array, with the changes to how sensors function, how does it actually work now in 2.0?

Does a partially upgraded one still see systems in a circular radius around it like it does now, or is it based on a certain number of hyperlane jumps?

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 9, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Demiurge4 posted:

Enigmatic would be cooler if it meshed really well with the new fluff for spiritual and increased your chances to getting weird psionics tech.

I think that would be great. Give it an additional bonus to rolling rare and dangerous techs equivalent to a Spark of Genius scientist, but at the expense of preventing all Research Agreements.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think that would be great. Give it an additional bonus to rolling rare and dangerous techs equivalent to a Spark of Genius scientist, but at the expense of preventing all Research Agreements.

Wiz, this is a good idea. I know it's probably too late to get the blocked research agreements by 2.0 release, but maybe we can still get the bonus to rare tech?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just had a great feudal society/domination gimmick game and will be doing it again. The Space Lord endgame is like being in a federation, but actually good. Your vassals increase your fleet cap, your fleet is the federation fleet, nobody else ever gets a say in anything and all your loyal vassals will show up posthaste when you click the triforce every time. Vassals stay happy with you and you can keep a small footprint. Also, happy loyal vassals trade mins and energy at 1:1.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I just want to say that I really like that Gatekeeper FE idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enigmatic engineering really, really just makes me want a randomized tech tree, so you can actually get tech that nobody else might have.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Psycho Landlord posted:

I just want to say that I really like that Gatekeeper FE idea.

Same, and I'd like to see some more FE gimmicks. Possibly egalitarians, who dislike slavery and are roused to action when half the galaxy are in chains?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turbocapitalists, frequently offer you terrible trade deals but get pissy if you turn them down. Will send out black ships to go "open trade relations" with empires they don't like. Get annoyed at people who do a lot of trading and will declare war purely to smash their economy and put them out of business, have the option to sign "treaties of amity and commerce" with other empires when active, allowing them to force empires to accept any trade deal they propose.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 9, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

poverty goat posted:

I just had a great feudal society/domination gimmick game and will be doing it again. The Space Lord endgame is like being in a federation, but actually good. Your vassals increase your fleet cap, your fleet is the federation fleet, nobody else ever gets a say in anything and all your loyal vassals will show up posthaste when you click the triforce every time. Vassals stay happy with you and you can keep a small footprint. Also, happy loyal vassals trade mins and energy at 1:1.

How big are your vassals?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Will space creatures like the amoebas be hyperlane only as well I wonder? Also I want there to be a predator for them and have the amoebas or the predators breed out of control as a midgame crisis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Benagain posted:

Will space creatures like the amoebas be hyperlane only as well I wonder? Also I want there to be a predator for them and have the amoebas or the predators breed out of control as a midgame crisis.

I'd love a sort of space ecosystem where you've got some big lumbering space prey that you get rewards for hunting or developing a system pushes them out due to habitat loss, but also scary space predators that mostly leave players alone unless for some reason prey has become short.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love a sort of space ecosystem where you've got some big lumbering space prey that you get rewards for hunting or developing a system pushes them out due to habitat loss, but also scary space predators that mostly leave players alone unless for some reason prey has become short.

I absolutely want to play Space Victorians hunting space whales to get space ambergris, and then getting devoured by some kind of horrific Leviathan as a direct consequence, in an elaborate analogy for the evils of capitalism. Or something.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Wiz, this is a good idea. I know it's probably too late to get the blocked research agreements by 2.0 release, but maybe we can still get the bonus to rare tech?

An ascension perk shouldn't prevent the player from doing anything imo. If anything it should make your research agreements worth more in the trade menu. You want our tech? You have to pay for it

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

An ascension perk shouldn't prevent the player from doing anything imo. If anything it should make your research agreements worth more in the trade menu. You want our tech? You have to pay for it

The point of the proposed change to the perk is that your species/machine race has evolved methods of research which are too complex for scrubs to understand. So even if you traded it to them, they couldn't understand it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

The point of the proposed change to the perk is that your species/machine race has evolved methods of research which are too complex for scrubs to understand. So even if you traded it to them, they couldn't understand it.

They'll understand after they pay for the manual.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I mean, it probably shouldn't let you give people tech, at least not by default, because otherwise you've made a perk for a tech focused empire which is nullified by a major research booster.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

They'll understand after they pay for the manual.

I feel like trying to explain why it is a bad idea to keep trading in with this proposed perk is a good example of the issue at hand

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChickenWing posted:

gate crisis yes, gatekeeper FE yes

activating technological wonders beyond one's ken has never gone wrong for anyone
I think you want to have some of them be positive because otherwise you're just getting this weird mix of "lol you engaged with the gameplay! IDIOT" and "technology is bad and will inevitably destroy us, now then here's the report from the Super Science Base:"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I can never resist the urge to integrate mt vassals for long enough to makes vassals worthwhile.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Really I just want to play as a death merchant empire and there isn't really a good way to do that right now and that would be as close as I can get under the current system

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/962084530868891649

...is being able to build habitats over inhabited worlds new?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yep. Love it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Vassals own because you can have a 1 planet vassal with a 200 fleet cap, which boosts you quite a bit.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Is it new? Or is it just that you'd always build a starbase over an inhabited world since it'd be a waste otherwise?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is it new? Or is it just that you'd always build a starbase over an inhabited world since it'd be a waste otherwise?

I'm pretty sure that you just straight up couldn't before.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

binge crotching posted:

How big are your vassals?

my first, biggest vassal has 36 colonies, 627 pops, +144 opinion and shows up to fights with ~100k of fleet even when i dont ask them to

White Coke
May 29, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Turbocapitalists, frequently offer you terrible trade deals but get pissy if you turn them down. Will send out black ships to go "open trade relations" with empires they don't like. Get annoyed at people who do a lot of trading and will declare war purely to smash their economy and put them out of business, have the option to sign "treaties of amity and commerce" with other empires when active, allowing them to force empires to accept any trade deal they propose.

"You violated the NAP!"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did they ever fix the bug where helping people psionically ascend (ie, not your core species) replaced your core species with the ones you just boosted?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure that you just straight up couldn't before.

You can, if you build it before the Starbase. I think, I seem to recall doing that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I've been watching some of the 2.0 streams and when ever anyone clicks on an AI-run empire's planets it's the same ~10 pops and 5 buildings problem. I think they're going to need to not just let players manually override their own sectors but also all AI's because they can't figure that poo poo out. Hopefully they'll get a better handle on it for release.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

Maybe instead of immediate war, a few years after building a homemade gate they try to charge you a "service fee" for integrating it into the network and providing support. Saying yes gets you a service contract, which has some minor positive benefit. Saying no leads to a negative opinion modifier but no immediate penalty. If enough people have unlicensed gates they go full AE and try to sanitise the network.

Tech support / network security / software licencing referencess to taste.

There we go. :haw: That what I was thinking with an Synthetic FE thats basically a gate/communications network hub built by some assholes who hosed off along time ago. (Comcast, They're basically automated comcast.)

Could even give them a broken sensor array in their space to capture the whole super-communications hub feeling.

Oh and the second part would make for an amusing quirk in that contacting the FE gets the FE automatically giving out your number to everyone who has contacted the FE so far. Not even a "they have deciphered our communications" pause, nope! You get added to the automatic mailing system like everyone else.

"Thank you for cooperation <OBJECT>. We hope your business dealings are pleasant and profitable with the galactic community! Remember, you can always upgrade to the Premium Subscription Package to get access to even faster communications! Your business might depend on it."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm slowly learning to play this game, but how do i capture planets? I set a war goal to Liberate XYZ, sent armies after bombing the poo poo out of them, the war ended and they still have their planet?

I don't play Paradox games because I'm a simpleton.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

I'm slowly learning to play this game, but how do i capture planets? I set a war goal to Liberate XYZ, sent armies after bombing the poo poo out of them, the war ended and they still have their planet?

Liberate means you set them free. You want the other war goal (I forgot the name). You also need to make sure that the demands a met in the peace agreement; if you're accepting the AI offer they probably asked for a white peace or something.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"Cede planet" is what you're after.

If you win a war with "liberate planet" goals, the liberated planets are formed into a new empire with the same ethos as the empire that liberated them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flipswitch posted:

GotLag posted:

If you win a war with "liberate planet" goals, the liberated planets are formed into a new empire with the same ethos as the empire that liberated them.
Note this is all changing in a week and a bit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Important to note, if you have allies you want to drag into a war, it always pays off to look at what kind of empire they are first. For example, if you want a peaceful, democratic empire to join you, ceding planets to them doesn't actually work, since they can't outright conquer planets. They'll refuse, even if they really want to join you. In this case, you have to give them their targets as liberation-goals instead to convince them. Likewise, I had evil empires absolute refuse me, regardless of how awesome they found us and how many war goals I gave them, until I gave the greedy assholes a couple "cede planets" goals instead of the milquetoast worthless ones I tried to buy them off with. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Liberate means you set them free. You want the other war goal (I forgot the name). You also need to make sure that the demands a met in the peace agreement; if you're accepting the AI offer they probably asked for a white peace or something.

Aha this is it. Must have accepted white peace.

Thanks for replies guys. I had intended to liberate them just because of how big their empire was, i wanted to fracture that poo poo up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did Wiz show any screenshots of the new weapons the Titans can mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wish we had the option of renaming species, either if the entire pop is under our control, or at least if we find pre-sapients and uplift them. I found a planet with pre-sapient space penises that were named "Zik-Pocs" and I'm all bummed out I can't change their name to "Dik-Cocs" :(

• Locked thread