Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

having an option buried under a menu to enable "search for what i actually typed" is also some amazing loving UX design

google scholar’s always struck me as kind of a stepchild in their suite of products. i suppose having a crappy ux is fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

having an option buried under a menu to enable "search for what i actually typed" is also some amazing loving UX design

wait... is this an option? where?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

several years ago if someone searched for my name in google they would turn up various online accounts and postings in my name

then google started autocorrecting searches for my exact name to the name of a minor public figure with a vaguely similar name, and does not offer a "did you mean...?" link

google literally decided I am a typo

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Internet Janitor posted:

Well statistically, you are.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lancemantis posted:

people love arxiv

sci hub / libgen yo

but gscholar linking citations is p practical

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mrmcd posted:

Well statistically, you are.

lets just replace the internet with a page detailing the life of mohammed lee, the most statistically average human

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

yeah goog has been trash for years and yet people still fellate them as cool and groundbreaking

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Internet Janitor posted:

several years ago if someone searched for my name in google they would turn up various online accounts and postings in my name

then google started autocorrecting searches for my exact name to the name of a minor public figure with a vaguely similar name, and does not offer a "did you mean...?" link

Sounds nice

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

much like people have built youtube empires, many people have built facebook empires and loving with the algorithmic feed means their posts might not show up and ruin their numbers

a good start

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

the tool is called google verbatim

it disables stemming and poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

google basically ignoring operators has made search in general a huge pain in the rear end. i'm not sure what it is about their amazing natural language search that required them to completely depreciate that functionality, but it sucks

i think it's more that probably like 90% of people don't know they exist and don't care and just type in stuff like "dear microsoft google, please ask jeeves about what is the meaning of potato?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well more likely they just type in one of like, 5 things they want to access, so "facebook", "email", whatever

actually i'd be really interested to see how much google traffic is for actual searching and how much of it is people who just use it as really inefficient navigation to things they use all the time because it's how they first figured out how to get somewhere so it must be the only way to get there

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

actually i'd be really interested to see how much google traffic is for actual searching and how much of it is people who just use it as really inefficient navigation to things they use all the time because it's how they first figured out how to get somewhere so it must be the only way to get there

hi mom

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

your mom… is my dad??? :wth:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why is Gmail so good at catching spam but Youtube lets in videos that should clearly be classified as spam (or even allows that poo poo to be an advertised video?)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i suppose that unlike spam email, there’s ad revenue to be grabbed with youtube. if they can get away with monetizing creepy-rear end videos that still get a lot of views, they’re not gonna give a rat’s rear end about actual content.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Why is Gmail so good at catching spam but Youtube lets in videos that should clearly be classified as spam (or even allows that poo poo to be an advertised video?)

lol what are you even talking about

if youtube removed garbage bullshit only morons would want to watch they'd have about 99% of the site banned

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also its infinitely easier to analyze static text than videos

but yeah mostly "they make money from it"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

also its infinitely easier to analyze static text than videos

remove any video that has “elsa”, “spiderman”, or “surprise egg” in the title.

e: forgot, “finger family” too.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

if youtube removed garbage bullshit only morons would want to watch they'd have about 99% of the site banned

fishmech you should edit this post it's straying dangerously close to criticizing google

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

not seeing the problem

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endless Mike posted:

not seeing the problem

you watch that 99% only

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

tools -> "all results" -> verbatim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Janitor posted:

if someone searches my name they get a bunch of results for people in the same industry, with the same name, on two other continents. this suits me just fine

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

i was easy to find in college but dropped down the rankings when i shortly had sharing my name:

a college baseball player
a columnist who wrote about collectible card games
a guy who started a web design company
a guy who got ball cancer

all of whom had dozens of pages mentioning them within a few years.

what finally kicked me out of google results entirely was some actor on disney channel shows with a name spelled close to mine so google autocorrects to him now. it's pretty great.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if someone searches my name they get a bunch of results for people in the same industry, with the same name, on two other continents. this suits me just fine

i’m a minor league baseball player and a prominent oracle blogger

when i first started working at oracle people’s eyes would light up when i’d be introduced to them and i’d have to be all ‘no relation’

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my family name is incredibly rare so my name is globally unique and if you search for me you just find me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

same, but there’s one other person with my first name who barely shows up on google

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

my family name is incredibly rare so my name is globally unique and if you search for me you just find me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

i was easy to find in college but dropped down the rankings when i shortly had sharing my name:

what finally kicked me out of google results entirely was some actor on disney channel shows with a name spelled close to mine so google autocorrects to him now. it's pretty great.

same, i was easy to find until some up and coming young canadian with my name got into the olympics or something? and now that the internet is common there's tons of people with my name that have thoroughly buried my results, so thanks guys

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my name is apparently an orthopedic surgeon now, a few years ago it was a dentist so i guess i moved up a notch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'm a gridiron football player and a high school basketball player

worst thing is there's another photographer with my name and his photos are godawful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

there's a serial killer from the 80s with my name so I pretty much never come up in any Google search results ever except sometimes linkedin

protip for making you skids lives easier: name them after mass killers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

there's a serial killer from the 80s with my name so I pretty much never come up in any Google search results ever except sometimes linkedin

protip for making you skids lives easier: name them after mass killers

my best friend is literally named james jones

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

pleased to meet you, lance “justin timberlake” armstrong.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

fart simpson posted:

my best friend is literally named james jones

... LeBron is that you?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fart simpson posted:

same so the results are all interviews I’ve given and stuff like that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

actually if you named your child either Google or robots.txt you could probably keep them off the internet for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

“Ci@li$, you get your rear end inside right now!!”