Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Hey ABAI Subaru nerds, if I needed a shop in Edmonton to flush and replace my trans fluid with the magic additive to make it stop shuddering during turns, who would you go with? Subaru dealership wants $375 and I'm guessing there's someone who would do a good job for less.
How did you make out with this? I suspect flush is a little more in depth than a drain/refill so you don't want to do it at Casa Drake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Do any of you guys know where I can get two part liquid urethane locally? Ideally with a durometer of 90 shore?

I don't need much. Maybe three lbs / a kilo.

It looks like there are a few Canadian online retailers who have what I'm looking for. None based out of Alberta though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is a company I deal with in Edmonton called Redwood Plastics that might be able to do something, but they might only do wholesale. Might be worth a call/visit though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, stupid question, but is there a battery system you can get that would let you pop in and out the battery so I can just bring it in every night so it gets a break from the cold?

I'm searching for battery harness or battery quick connect, etc, but not having much luck.

I guess you'd have to have a small battery in the base of the thing that stays in the vehicle so you don't lose all your settings or something?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why don't you just get a battery blanket and plug it in?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm guessing you mean car battery?

There are small batteries that plug into a cigarette lighter to keep your ECU memory but i can't speak to whether or not they work, and if they would work overnight. There are quick connect terminals with little levers to tighten them to quickly remove the battery, but that's not a very good idea either as the battery terminals oxidize pretty quickly and constantly connecting them/disconnecting them would cause pretty rapid wear, and a lovely connection.

If you're having trouble starting the car, the battery might just be at the end of it's life, an easier alternative/bandaid would be a battery blanket.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I just replaced the battery because it was due (at -35, which was a lot of fun). And I do have a battery blanket which I plug in with the block heater on a timer when it's under -30.

I was just thinking it seemed kind of wasteful to keep it heated through the cold nights when it's nice and warm inside and was wondering if this was a thing that existed. But I guess there probably isn't enough call for something like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Canadian tire has one that's 80w. even running 12 hours overnight, that's only 0.970 kwh, so around 10 cents?

$3 a month if you plug it in every night for 12 hours.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

All right, gently caress, good point, I hadn't calculated it out. Closer to 20 cents a kWh for us, but yeah. I was just loving cold and cranky after changing my battery.

When it's this cold I should probably just plug it in before bed and not put it on the timer to run for 5 hours before we leave in the morning.

Quit bringing reason into this!

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 2, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah just grab a battery blanket, you'll be surprised at how much better the car will start up in -30 when you use it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or splice a battery tender in with your block heater.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Hard yes on the battery blankets. My truck came stock with them, and I've gotten just over 7 years on the factory batteries.

Meaning they were dead this morning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So who's excited for snowpocalypse?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

So who's excited for snowpocalypse?

I figured i got a tank of fuel in the truck, if i baby it, that could probably get me to jackpot, nevada. Then i could gamble my way to vegas where it's +25 for the next week.

This cold is loving killing me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm debating if I need to set my alarm early to move snow in the am before work :(

I think we're getting lucky compared to Calgary based on the radar I've seen. That said, I am about ready for this winter to end.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My tire tracks from an hour ago are gone.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a snow day here.

Hoping, anyway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've never seen the garbage truck get stuck before.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
We got a nice big dump yesterday here in QC. The plows work in teams on the main roads, three or four staggered across the lanes. They'd cleared even my tiny residential street before 8:00am this morning, and now the piles they didn't truck away are at least twice as tall as I am. I helped a Saturn get out of a slippery parking spot this morning with a shove on the front bumper. This is no big deal. What is this "snowpocalypse" nonsense? I thought that kind of terminology was reserved for the southern US, where a light dusting leads to burnt-out wrecks on the Interstate.

C'mon Alberta, you're not going to let Quebec beat you at winter, are you?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

C'mon Alberta, you're not going to let Quebec beat you at winter, are you?

We do, because Quebec has their poo poo together with snow clearing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what's the deal with these Pick N Pulls you guys keep mentioning? Just go in and see what you can find, basically?

I have some time off the week after next, so I'm thinking about driving down to Edmonton with my daughter. There are a couple things I was quoted $TOOMUCH for at the dealership, so I figured I'd see if I can grab the parts for cheaper at one of these places and either have a go at putting it in myself or just bring it to a cheaper shop. For example they want $100 + labour to replace my dome light assembly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

odiv posted:

So what's the deal with these Pick N Pulls you guys keep mentioning? Just go in and see what you can find, basically?

Yeah. Pay $1, sign the waiver, go get parts.

You can check online to see what the yard inventory is, or on row52, but sometimes it lags a few weeks behind updates.

Don't expect anything newer than 2008ish in the self-serve yards, depending on what your car is.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

Yes, exactly.

Pick N Pull is a brand name, some other junkyards work the same way - you walk in (typically you pay an access fee, like $2/person) with your tools and wander around until you find what you're looking for. You can ask at the gate where to find the type of vehicle you're looking for: "Domestics are on your left, imports on your right. Hondas are first, then Toyota." You pull the parts you want, and then take them to back to the gate to pay. If you've got big and heavy stuff you can usually borrow a wheelbarrow or something like that, or one of the yard employees might help you with a Big Yellow Machine of some kind - when I found wheels&tires for my little Honda Prelude at a yard near Saskatoon years ago, the guy lifted the wrecked Acura I was working on with the forks on the front-end loader he was driving, then let me put the wheels in the bucket to drive them to the front gate.

How old is your daughter? I wouldn't take a child younger than 10 or 12 to JY, they're dirty places full of sharp bits of metal and other not very safe things. Wear good stury boots (steel toe/shank if you have 'em) and be prepared to get dirty, you'll probably be kneeling or sitting on muddy, oily snow. Kneepads and/or an old foam pad are very useful things.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, thanks! Yeah, I was thinking I'd have to find someone to watch my daughter because she's 5. I might look into a daycare for a day so I can get some grown-up stuff done.

It's a 2006 Chevy Colorado 4WD. Apparently it could also use a fan clutch, but that seems a little ambitious for me. If I can find a cheap dome light assembly I'll be happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
For a vehicle that common, I wouldn't be surprised if RockAuto has a decent price aftermarket piece from Dorman or whoever (and chances are it's shared with other GMs, so you can look up the interchange on RockAuto anyway before going to the yard).

edit: After a quick check, doesn't look like the dome light itself is on RA. Just the harness and bulbs. The harness interchanges with a bunch of GMs though (e.g. all 1989-2016 GMC trucks) so I bet it's a pretty generic 2-pin power/ground pinout and the dome itself is just moulded to look "Colorado-y".

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 8, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I really only need the harness and a new bulb, I think, so that's perfect. I didn't intend to post to get everyone to do my legwork for me, I swear.

Interested in potentially checking out the Pick N Pull anyway even if I can just get the part wherever, so thanks again for the info.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah it's a fun way to spend a day just wandering around playing amateur forensic detective. Plus you never know what treasure you'll come across (metric bolts).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

How old is your daughter? I wouldn't take a child younger than 10 or 12 to JY, they're dirty places full of sharp bits of metal and other not very safe things. Wear good stury boots (steel toe/shank if you have 'em) and be prepared to get dirty, you'll probably be kneeling or sitting on muddy, oily snow. Kneepads and/or an old foam pad are very useful things.

It's funny you mention that cause I remember wandering the yard as a 7 year old while my dad was trying to dig an engine out of a Karmann Ghia and was thinking how crazy that'd be to do that now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah it's a fun way to spend a day just wandering around playing amateur forensic detective. Plus you never know what treasure you'll come across (metric bolts).

Yeah, i scored my Lincoln wheels in there. A full set of 4 wheels with all 4 hubcaps, it's like the holy grail.

we got a little bit of a dump. The car is from tuesday morning, i shoveled the sidewalks bare last night.

We've gotten a lot of snow this year. There hasn't been a single huge dump, but probably one day a week with 6 inches. We got a 80kph wind at one point, too, which took a bunch away.

I use my big shovel like a plow and slide up over the snow pile and dump it on the other side, everybody else just lifts scoops and puts it on top of their pile, so now they've all got huge piles to lift the snow over where i'm still casually sliding it up the hill, basically to the middle of the lawn now.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 9, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah but that's like just your arm width away from the sidewalk. Baseline humans gotta walk a couple steps to equal that wingspan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah but that's like just your arm width away from the sidewalk. Baseline humans gotta walk a couple steps to equal that wingspan.

Not to mention that he can easily throw snow over a pile that's like seven feet tall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not to mention that he can easily throw snow over a pile that's like seven feet tall.

No joke, i ripped a chunk out of my shovel today trying to throw a bucketful over the fence.

We can rebuild him, better, stronger, more capable.....

...or just duct tape it back together and spend that time fixing the snowblower.

I want to build my own shovel out of aluminum, design it like a drag line bucket, replacable teflon sliders, teflon baked onto the inside like a pan.

I'm really sick of plastic.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 9, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I agree, plastic shovels suck, but at the same time they are literally and figuratively plastic in that they deform and return to normal pretty well compared to a lot of metal shovels.

Metal shovels like to shear and crack too, so you need a thick-ish one to stand up to abuse. Let me know if you find a decent one, I don't think anyone makes a quality metal show shovel anymore (if anyone ever did, really).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I agree, plastic shovels suck, but at the same time they are literally and figuratively plastic in that they deform and return to normal pretty well compared to a lot of metal shovels.

Metal shovels like to shear and crack too, so you need a thick-ish one to stand up to abuse. Let me know if you find a decent one, I don't think anyone makes a quality metal show shovel anymore (if anyone ever did, really).

Know anyone with a five-axis CNC? Let's build a billet titanium snow shovel. The Chastener.

Or, today's tumblr: http://seatsafetyswitch.com/post/170686994616/that-tears-it-i-had-finally-reached-my-breaking

quote:

That tears it. I had finally reached my breaking point with the God-forsaken frozen-over hellhole in which I resided, and the endless dumps of lake-effect snow to which the foul winds had subjected me. This conclusion was only arrived at when I went to lift about six feet of snow off my driveway, and was rewarded with the poverty-spec plastic of the snow shovel shattering into a million pieces. Something had to be done, and I sure as hell didn’t see anyone else doing anything about it.

To uninitiated folks like the bylaw officer who tagged me with a summons, it would look like I had spent the last two weeks refusing to shovel my driveway. There is some degree of truth to this accusation, for in fact I had been walled up in the bomb-shelter I call a workshop, banging together the Final Solution to sidewalk shovelling. It was simply unacceptable that in this day and age, where we can launch our unwanted used cars into the Kepler belt, a man still had to shovel nature’s icy vomit off his own concrete.

What did you do, I hear you ask. Artificial intelligence? Genetically-engineered snow-eating raccoons? A precision flamethrower? No, nothing as crude as that. I built a snowblower with a 454 under the hood. Or at least it would be if it still had a hood: I’m not going to lie to you, there were some regrettable accidents along the way.

As I downshifted the Gear Vendors into low-range, I could hear applause from my fellow neighbours. Only one test flight needed to be taken, and they were already overjoyed that human ingenuity had overcome man’s greatest foe. Think of it: a world with perfectly cleared sidewalks, every time. You just had to keep countersteering every time the spinner brushes bit in on a chunk of fencepost or fire hydrant, because otherwise it popped one hell of a donut as the suspension unloaded. The twitchy handling was definitely making it hard to make an Instagram post while driving it.

My timing was perfect: at the top of the hill, coming out of the low sun hanging in the frozen sky, came the very same bylaw officer who had written me the initial summons. I kindled when I realized that he was likely here to verify whether or not I had successfully cleared the aforementioned snow, and would be my first legal witness to the majesty of my creation. In my excitement, and without thinking, I downshifted the main gearbox into the beastlike torque of First Gear, with a perfectly-executed if slightly flashy heel-toe downshift.

At that very moment, I realized I had neglected to account for the shock loading of the drivetrain. In my mind’s eye, I saw what had happened even as my agonizingly slow reflexes pushed in the clutch pedal again. Within nanoseconds, the blowing auger sheared clean off the PTO shaft and was propelled into the windshield of the bylaw officer’s Impala.

Still, though, the initial experiment was a success, and when the real cops arrived they had nothing but nice things to say about it. They were no tourists to the concept of abusing power, you see, and it did handle better than a Ford Explorer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Know anyone with a five-axis CNC? Let's build a billet titanium snow shovel. The Chastener.

Or, today's tumblr: http://seatsafetyswitch.com/post/170686994616/that-tears-it-i-had-finally-reached-my-breaking

Throw sparks while you're shoveling?

I was thinking a big sheet of 1/4" plate bent into a dragline shape, like a U with a flat bottom, a back wall to hold the snow in, a handle coming straight off the back and up to push with, and a handle coming straight up to grab and toss with.

Here's a technical drawing.

So like the dark grey would be a plate bent up into the shape, and the light grey would be a plate welded to the back to give it some structure, and then to handles, one going up and one going back, and some big beefy grips might have to be adjusted for maximum ergonomics, and then blue could be a sacraficial bolt on edge, and green some teflon strips for easy gliding and the yellow would be some wicked flames to make it look like you're shoveling really fast.

I would cost like $300 and weigh ~50lbs, but it would be the last shovel i would ever need.

Another option of course is one of those 40lb steel R/C loaders off alibaba......

yeah, it was a bit foggy last night.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1/4" is way too thick for that application, you'd herniate yourself in no time.

I could see 1/8th though, even 1/16th being viable. 3/16 would be heavy but it would never break.

Aluminium might be the ticket though.

Let me know if you're super serious, I could probably help you make this happen for a prototype.

Also I'm gonna need a link to that rc loader you're talking about.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-14-Scale-RC-Hydraulic-Wheel-Loader/2027331309.html

Says it'll lift 70kg. Also, in searching for this again, the full size one isn't much more expensive

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZL16F-Mini-Wheel-Loader-Capacity-1600kgs/32816290754.html

Probably a little harder on fuel though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I procrastinated for a while a couple of days ago looking at things to bolt to my little truck. A proper plow that mounts on pretty much any SUV or pickup, including (according to the website) my 1997 Ranger costs between $1200 and $2000, depending on actuation - the base price is manual, the higher costs are for electric or hydraulic actuation. They mount on a trailer hitch, and they'll sell you one to put on the front of your vehicle if you don't feel like plowing with your truck's rear end.

Many of the urban plows here are Big Yellow Machines, mostly Loaders, with the normal bucket replaced by a big box. There are three sides and a top - front, left, right - and it's open towards the vehicle. The operator mostly uses it to pull snow, rather than push it. He'll drive forward to the end of the area (wall, parked car, edge of parking lot, whatever) with the box raised, then drop it and drag it backwards. Then he'll turn and push it into a big pile. It's interesting to watch, a decent operator can nibble the snow away from something like a parked car right up to the point where the box would hit the side mirror if he nudged it forward a bit.

I suspect there's a local bylaw that allows snow-clearing heavy equipment and trucks to turn off their back-up beepers - they clear residential streets in the middle of the night and while the engines (and the 8-foot-wide monster snowblowers they sometimes push around) are fairly loud, I don't hear the beeping I would expect from something like that moving back and forth. I appreciate this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

This shovel right here if you're looking for a good pusher:
http://www.garant.com/tools/s/winter-tools/snow-shovels/steel-snow-shovels/snow-pusher-24-steel-blade/

I bought that shovel when we bought our first house in 2000 and I literally replaced it 2 months ago after wearing off about 2" of material (it still will get used at my office). I replaced it with the exact same kind. You can't get them everywhere. Most stores keep the aluminum version but it isn't as good. The steel kicks rear end for getting right down to the concrete with scraping and the added mass of the steel actually helps with momentum in general. I think I bought mine at Rona but Peavey Mart carries them too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So apparently bus traps are not common at all, and I'm only familiar with them because I've spent most of my life in Calgary, where it's a regular occurrence to see people looking dejectedly at a car with its back wheels in the air, half submerged in a hole the city put there on purpose

When my wife moved out from Toronto she couldn't believe they were a thing that existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phy posted:

So apparently bus traps are not common at all, and I'm only familiar with them because I've spent most of my life in Calgary, where it's a regular occurrence to see people looking dejectedly at a car with its back wheels in the air, half submerged in a hole the city put there on purpose

When my wife moved out from Toronto she couldn't believe they were a thing that existed

At least partially for the benefit of those poor deluded souls who live in bad parts of Alberta and not Glorious Mother Calgary Whose Bosom Provides The Finest Donair Sauce When It's Not Tailing Fluid:

There are a few different kinds in the city. The "pit" style traps are not really used as much in the NW, where they have manual and automatic fences. That's how that one kid got killed: he and his buddies were putting rocks in the auto-fence track, and a rock shot out when the bus came and nailed him on the head.

Pit-style trap, common in the SE and NE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsz1U58jXgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4Cpj7eaYc

Manual fence-style trap, common in the NW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkk6TdM9vA

Centre Street's unique trap which has a pit going one way and an auto-fence going the other:
https://hbevert.livejournal.com/18468.html

Unfortunately, I think this is the one that killed that kid about a decade ago :(

After a quick google, apparently the Danish town of Hillerød also likes them. That's probably where we got the idea.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 10, 2018