Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sombra changes are great. Health pack ult charge was probably the worst designed mechanic in the game.

Only mechanic left to work out is healing giving ult charge but it's a much more difficult issue to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
how can you justify taking ult charge from healing? mercy would never be able to ult or become the worst DPS and Healer simultaneously

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe I should have mentioned in my post that it was a difficult problem to solve.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Why is it even a problem?

Support gets ult too fast? Make them need more ult charge points per ult. Get them too slow? Make them need less points.

The only "difficult" part is balancing that, unless you think that healing shouldn't give ult charge at all, in which case i'd assume you were insane.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think that because intentionally taking damage to charge your healer's ult is a dumb play pattern.

It's the same situation as Sombra heal packs just less clowny looking.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 9, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think what he's driving at is that doing damage to the enemy team shouldn't indirectly benefit the enemy team

e:f;b

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It also directly benefits your team though. Definitely a balancing act. If it became too much of a problem i'd just reduce the rate support players get ults at, but I don't really have a problem with it as a mechanic, aside from maybe the lack of in game indication that it might be a bad idea.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's as big a deal now that Valk has been nerfed. Giving Ana or Moira ult isn't that big a deal. Giving Zen/Lucio ult charge can be I suppose but if you're also getting your own Genji Blade, Tire, etc, that seems like a fair trade off most of the time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, as play continues to grow so do the tactics around it. The recent slew of people using blade to bait out trans and then graving the enemy team when they push forward using trans is one of those things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You've got a point, it was more of an issue when mercy's ult was significantly better than every other ult in the game. You're obviously also giving them ult charge so dogstile's probably right that you can effectively balance it via charge rate (ie as long as enemies get more out of shooting than you get out of healing its ok). Maybe not a real problem i take it back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You could also increase the rate of ult gain for sustained healing to reduce the ult gain for healing chip damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

No Wave posted:

You've got a point, it was more of an issue when mercy's ult was significantly better than every other ult in the game. You're obviously also giving them ult charge so dogstile's probably right that you can effectively balance it via charge rate (ie as long as enemies get more out of shooting than you get out of healing its ok). Maybe not a real problem i take it back.

Eh, don't take it back if you still think its a thing. Sometimes i'm a bit of a dick with my opinions and have been ever since i started my new job, still in my probation period so i'm a little anxious these days. Sorry if i was!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm a dick with my opinions for no reason except I think I'm better than everyone and I'm not sorry at all!!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Rand Brittain posted:

You could also increase the rate of ult gain for sustained healing to reduce the ult gain for healing chip damage.
Tying ult charge to how close to death your team mate is when you heal them is an interesting idea that would reward clutch plays and discourage the chip damage dance. I imagine it would lead to a lot of people dying because healers were trying to min/max ult charge though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'd legitimately forgotten that resurrections were why that was such a thing in the first place.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if the sombra changes go through i will start learning her since she'll suddenly not be an EMP farmer and be more of an active participant

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if the sombra changes go through i will start learning her since she'll suddenly not be an EMP farmer and be more of an active participant

Looks like the Sombra changes got reverted to normal for now. Wish they just kept them in the game and not worry about putting them on PTR where they never use it for any actual feedback.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd like to propose these improvements to CtF:
  • The game mode is now asymmetric, one team tries to capture the flag and one team defends it.
  • New maps are created that balance the asymmetry with one key flag-carrying path and checkpoints/spawn rooms for the capturing team at different places along the path
  • To reduce imbalance between characters with different movement abilities, the flag now moves at a fixed pace whenever one member of the capturing team (and no members of the defending team) are near it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
dude, yes! that would make CtF so much better

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd like to propose these improvements to CtF:
  • The game mode is now asymmetric, one team tries to capture the flag and one team defends it.
  • New maps are created that balance the asymmetry with one key flag-carrying path and checkpoints/spawn rooms for the capturing team at different places along the path
  • To reduce imbalance between characters with different movement abilities, the flag now moves at a fixed pace whenever one member of the capturing team (and no members of the defending team) are near it.

... I just got this.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

No Wave posted:

Probably the main issue is that DPS ults usually aren't as good as support ults on average.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Montalvo posted:

... I just got this.
non-snarky version of the idea would be to have a single flag in the center of the map, 1sec capture, take flag to your point = score. As-is CtF is pretty unfun.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah it would be better with a single flag, either at the center or alternating sides after each round or something, with a time limit on each round.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what if the flag were a bomb, and when you picked it up you could launch the ball at your friends, and you had to carry the ball to a gate where you could jump through it for a bunch of points, or just shoot the ball in for fewer points. you could call this mode "explosive sprint". or "missile jog". or "grenade dash".

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

what if the flag were a bomb, and when you picked it up you could launch the ball at your friends, and you had to carry the ball to a gate where you could jump through it for a bunch of points, or just shoot the ball in for fewer points. you could call this mode "explosive sprint". or "missile jog". or "grenade dash".

Lucio would dominate if they ported this over from UT

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I got my diamond ranking in CTF and so I'm done with this dumb gamemode. I'll take my comp points and go play the good mode.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I forgot that mode existed and now I miss it. UT was pretty good.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't think I ever played bombing run, but I want Overwatch to port over Onslaught mode. Fighting on those two giant vehicles in the desert owned.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Woo. Logged in, got a box, got McCree's Lunar skin. Lost a game of CTF, got a box, got Genji's.
Let's see how much more this can go!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm playing Mei in FFA and every time I use my ice block it floats into the sky.

edit: seems like lots of people are having this issue.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 10, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't think I ever played bombing run, but I want Overwatch to port over Onslaught mode. Fighting on those two giant vehicles in the desert owned.

that was assault, onslaught was their attempt to chomp some of battlefield’s flavor with big control point maps and vehicles. it was poorly suited to ut’s strengths

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Whoops, so it was. Well ok, assault owned then.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The custom Hellbender race map made of thin platforms was hilarious for the trolling you could do with your rear mounted laser canon.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

that was assault, onslaught was their attempt to chomp some of battlefield’s flavor with big control point maps and vehicles. it was poorly suited to ut’s strengths

it was fine if it was a huge populated server or a server with a radar mod

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I get all those points about not being an rear end to your team because of their comp, especially when it doesn't matter, but I feel like OW is very much not fun when people are pretending it's TF2 Turbine 247. The game just doesn't work that way, if the team isn't at least trying a little it devolves into you running into the meat grinder of 2cp while you get 3v1d.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Am I playing Orisa wrong if I'm basically getting no kills? Like, yeah I have the shield up and usually survive, but she does so little damage I can't do anything but stall unless my team's on point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There should be a dedicated mode for screwing around in OW

Implement trade servers

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Thoughtless posted:

Am I playing Orisa wrong if I'm basically getting no kills? Like, yeah I have the shield up and usually survive, but she does so little damage I can't do anything but stall unless my team's on point.

That is weird because I often have gold or silver kills with her. Her clip size and headshots combined with the fact that she is always firing gets a lot of kills and does a lot of damage. It is shocking how fast you can burn down a roadhog, especially with ult up.

To add something helpful: always be focusing with teammates. Never stop adding damage to your hitscanners.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thoughtless posted:

Yes. You should be securing a lot of elims with her imo since you can poo poo out constant pressure/suppression and cover fire with the gun's large mag size. Also note her gun is not hitscan. You need to lead targets if they're not right up in your face.

[edit] Also aim for headshots.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you mean you're not getting final blows then that's fine but if you're not getting eliminations at all then yea you should rethink how you're playing