Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It can be a pain to have gates up, but I have committed to at least two in doorways until my pup can be trusted 100%. I don't have a cat, and so I have these without the cat door. These have a door that is annoying but not horrible to use as a human.This gate is not that much of a hassle compared to seeing your dog eat poop. That just ruins my whole day.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Extra-Tall-Gate-small/dp/B000JJFNJK

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

HungryMedusa posted:

It can be a pain to have gates up, but I have committed to at least two in doorways until my pup can be trusted 100%. I don't have a cat, and so I have these without the cat door. These have a door that is annoying but not horrible to use as a human.This gate is not that much of a hassle compared to seeing your dog eat poop. That just ruins my whole day.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Extra-Tall-Gate-small/dp/B000JJFNJK

Thanks but unfortunately the pupper in question is a corgi so I think she'd be able to just get through the smaller door. I will consider a top entry litter box.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Had to put big Sam down yesterday. 14 year old yellow labrador. Been with me half of my life. It was the toughest thing I’ve ever gone through. Big lump on one of his hind legs that he got last year grew to be cancererous and it busted open, he couldn’t stop bleeding. Amputation at 14 or the last option.

He was my best friend :(

Edit: so I don’t know if this is the appropriate place for this (e/n?!) but I couldn’t find another dog thread so if it’s not the right place I’m so sorry guys. I’m all mixed up right now :/

Santheb fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 27, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

He made it to 14 and was happy with you. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
^ aw man dude, that's rough :(. Losing a pet is always lovely and that sounds like a particularly rough goodbye. I don't think there is an *official* grieving thread beyond personal ones so imo grieve wherever(do we have a retriever thread? I swore I saw something along those lines at some point)

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks but unfortunately the pupper in question is a corgi so I think she'd be able to just get through the smaller door. I will consider a top entry litter box.

Get one without the door then? Unless your cats have mobility issues, a shorter gate would work fine(the one we ended up with was short enough my 5'3 rear end could step over and the cats could clear it while my Shiba howled on the other side).

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Had to put big Sam down yesterday. 14 year old yellow labrador. Been with me half of my life. It was the toughest thing I’ve ever gone through. Big lump on one of his hind legs that he got last year grew to be cancererous and it busted open, he couldn’t stop bleeding. Amputation at 14 or the last option.

Edit: so I don’t know if this is the appropriate place for this (e/n?!) but I couldn’t find another dog thread so if it’s not the right place I’m so sorry guys. I’m all mixed up right now :/

Awful bro, 14 is pretty good though. Maybe post a nice picture? :gerty:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Cancer sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.

Psychobabble! posted:

Get one without the door then? Unless your cats have mobility issues, a shorter gate would work fine(the one we ended up with was short enough my 5'3 rear end could step over and the cats could clear it while my Shiba howled on the other side).
If your cats do have mobility issues and you want to use a gate, put it high enough for the cat to crawl under. Corgis have big inflexible ribcages compared to cats. This even worked with my elderly cat to keep my terrier out. They were of a pretty comparable size (11 lbs each) and it just took some fiddling to get a height that the dog couldn't manage.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Santheb posted:

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, about to put down one of my 10 yo dogs with cancer in like 5 hours. It's a real weird feeling going from "I have a dog" to "uh oh" to "shes deteriorated to the point where we need to put her down" within a time span of 16 hours.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, about to put down one of my 10 yo dogs with cancer in like 5 hours. It's a real weird feeling going from "I have a dog" to "uh oh" to "shes deteriorated to the point where we need to put her down" within a time span of 16 hours.

I'm so sorry. :(

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Sorry to hear that man :(. Goondolences. We waited about a week to see if bandaging would stop the bleeding but he just couldn’t do it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think we did the right thing. Sure do miss him though :(

Here’s a picture my dad found on his phone last night. Brings a smile to my face.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nothing gets me teary eyed like people losing their dogs. Sorry for both of your losses :(

I'm going to be a loving wreck when my turn comes

That's a real quality doggo

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Sorry to hear that man :(. Goondolences. We waited about a week to see if bandaging would stop the bleeding but he just couldn’t do it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think we did the right thing. Sure do miss him though :(

Here’s a picture my dad found on his phone last night. Brings a smile to my face.

A Chillin dog.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Santheb posted:

A week lead up sounds like fuckin hell, I was lucky in a way that my situation was so clearcut so the decision was obvious. That her death was about as peaceful as anybody could ask for. Lucky in a lot of ways tbh. As long as you feel you feel you did right by the dog, that's about as good as you can ask for imo.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Just applied to adopt this adorable-rear end bulldog.

Unlisted origin but with skin and ear infections. I'm sure we could get those resolved.

And if I had the time to house-train a five year old adorable-rear end bulldog I'd also get this one

A puppy mill mom with no house training and afraid of stairs. I really wish I had the time to dedicate to this beautiful old dog.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

God those are cute smash face doggies.

My genetic failure is getting her front bottom canines removed today. They are digging into her soft palate and would have eventually burst through her face like so:

Dog dentistry ain't cheap! At least she won't be in constant pain from them. She is only 7 months so luckily we are getting it taken care of before they came all the way up.

E: The vet only had to remove one of the teeth, I guess the other one isn't going to hurt her. That is good news.

Bad news? No chew toys for 2 weeks. She is a chewing fiend. Any suggestions on how to keep her busy when she can't chew?

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2018

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Got an 11 week old Great Dane(mom), Lab/Rottweiler(dad)

Going to be a big girl.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Going to be a big girl.

I want that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tsyni posted:

I want that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I want to pet that.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Does anyone else have a nervous weirdo? Tell me stories.

Edit: my pic didn't work. Boo!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Going to be a big girl.
Looks like her dad has been sleeping around.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My new little floof came home this past Saturday. She's an 8 week old American Eskimo Dog. Very timid and shy on her first night home but she's really come around in the past 48 hours and will be a total rascal in no time at all.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hi all, bit of an unusual problem.

Due to work and travel, my puppy had to stay with family for just under a month. He was ten months when left, and is approaching eleven months now, and I have been back for one week.

Upon my return, he has become skittish and aggressive - But only towards me. He will stay out of arm's reach of me, has fallen back into 'play' biting despite yelps and ignoring, and a ceasing to obey commands - This means if he is behaving aggressively or 'tense', he will disregard his name, he will disregard commands that had been instantaneous prior, he will not come inside the house if I am holding the door open. This has also been incredibly demoralizing to me, as he had been nothing but affectionate and obedient prior. Likewise, he has begun barking up a storm in the yard, despite long walks (especially for a dog his size) and frequent play.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what has caused this behavior - Separation anxiety was certainly possible, but by all accounts he was a very well behaved little guy, until I got back.

e: Here's the little guy enjoying a big ol' meats.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 6, 2018

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Adopted me a doggy yesterday! Unfortunately the Malinois I was interested in adopting was too energetic for my housemate and her little Chihuahua and it seemed like her prey drive was too high. Met another cutie patootie the same day and got the go ahead to adopt her yesterday. Housemate didn't feel like leaving the house, so I just went and adopted this sweet dog anyway. We took a long walk back from the SPCA and got to know each other. She's super sweet and friendly. A bit on the untrained side, but is housebroken. She's a quick learner though and I've already taught her to sit, shake, and lay down. Looking forward to spending the rest of her life with her and loving and caring for her.

She and my housemates dog met in passing, didn't go as well as I would've liked, but she was holding him and she's a new dog in what was previously his space. He growled, not a totally angry aggressive one and barked a bit. I simply walked her past them and removed her from the situation. She seemed interested and made a few small, kinda quiet barks at him. Going to keep them apart and slowly introduce them to each other via walks and just the noises ans smells of her being in the house.

So far the best thing besides her being super affectionate and cuddly was her encountering some slightly smaller than life sized statues and being very confused and befuddled by the lifeless humans. :3:

Edit: I have her from the SPCA on a sleepover sorta program to see how it goes. If it ends up being problematic I'll take her back. My experience thus far has been overwhelmingly positive, and I pretty much feel bonded to her at this point.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 8, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dog nougat posted:

Adopted me a doggy yesterday! Unfortunately the Malinois I was interested in adopting was too energetic for my housemate and her little Chihuahua and it seemed like her prey drive was too high. Met another cutie patootie the same day and got the go ahead to adopt her yesterday. Housemate didn't feel like leaving the house, so I just went and adopted this sweet dog anyway. We took a long walk back from the SPCA and got to know each other. She's super sweet and friendly. A bit on the untrained side, but is housebroken. She's a quick learner though and I've already taught her to sit, shake, and lay down. Looking forward to spending the rest of her life with her and loving and caring for her.

She and my housemates dog met in passing, didn't go as well as I would've liked, but she was holding him and she's a new dog in what was previously his space. He growled, not a totally angry aggressive one and barked a bit. I simply walked her past them and removed her from the situation. She seemed interested and made a few small, kinda quiet barks at him. Going to keep them apart and slowly introduce them to each other via walks and just the noises ans smells of her being in the house.

So far the best thing besides her being super affectionate and cuddly was her encountering some slightly smaller than life sized statues and being very confused and befuddled by the lifeless humans. :3:

Edit: I have her from the SPCA on a sleepover sorta program to see how it goes. If it ends up being problematic I'll take her back. My experience thus far has been overwhelmingly positive, and I pretty much feel bonded to her at this point.

Congrats! She’s a sweet girl and you seem like you know what you’re doing. Chihuahuas are little jerks sometimes, hopefully he gets used to her soon. Good luck!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Doggy trip report. Decided to keep her name they gave her at the SPCA. Mable was it originally, modified it to Maybellene/Maybel. Fairly close to getting her to recognize her name. She's already picked up sit, shake, and lay down. Still a bit tuggy on the leash, but I'm confident I'll get her trained to not pull constantly. Doggy socialization is a bit less great. She's still def got some puppyish tendencies. She's super excited by other dogs and wants to play and gets a bit bouncy. It'll be a slow process to get her socialized. Not super sure if or how I can curb her jumpiness. I have yet to see her become aggressive really, unless you count prey drive towards cats and small birds. I imagine as we bond more she'll respond better to me and hopefully that'll help with her socialization. I do want to get her to be ok with kitties as well, cuz I love kitties too and don't want to see her terrorize the standoffish fluffballs.

She was on temporary sleepover status with me. I called yesterday to finalize the adoption. She's super affectionate with me and loves to cuddle, play (Still working on drop it), and run around. I work graveyards, and she did super well on her first night crated. No accidents and was laying down until I opened the door. She's practically perfect for me and is def the best thing to happen to me in a long time and I dunno if I've ever been happier.

Requisite shot of her being a good girl. (Sorry for the goofy Instagram filter)

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 9, 2018

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

dog nougat posted:

Doggy trip report. Decided to keep her name they gave her at the SPCA. Mable was it originally, modified it to Maybellene/Maybel. Fairly close to getting her to recognize her name. She's already picked up sit, shake, and lay down. Still a bit tuggy on the leash, but I'm confident I'll get her trained to not pull constantly. Doggy socialization is a bit less great. She's still def got some puppyish tendencies. She's super excited by other dogs and wants to play and gets a bit bouncy. It'll be a slow process to get her socialized. Not super sure if or how I can curb her jumpiness. I have yet to see her become aggressive really, unless you count prey drive towards cats and small birds. I imagine as we bond more she'll respond better to me and hopefully that'll help with her socialization. I do want to get her to be ok with kitties as well, cuz I love kitties too and don't want to see her terrorize the standoffish fluffballs.

She was on temporary sleepover status with me. I called yesterday to finalize the adoption. She's super affectionate with me and loves to cuddle, play (Still working on drop it), and run around. I work graveyards, and she did super well on her first night crated. No accidents and was laying down until I opened the door. She's practically perfect for me and is def the best thing to happen to me in a long time and I dunno if I've ever been happier.

Requisite shot of her being a good girl. (Sorry for the goofy Instagram filter)

She’s such a good girl and it makes me so happy that it’s working out for you both :kimchi:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Using a gentle leader with my pup solved the tugging problem. You could probably let a toddler walk him now (not that I would, but you probably could!).

Also your dog looks like a goofball :3:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Using a gentle leader with my pup solved the tugging problem. You could probably let a toddler walk him now (not that I would, but you probably could!).

Also your dog looks like a goofball :3:

Good to know. I'll look that up. We absolutely adore each other already. It's a perfect match.

Forrest Gump posted:

Like peas and carrots

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Seconding the recommendation for a Gentle Leader harness. It takes a little adjusting to especially if your dog is used to having the leash clip to their collar, but it's an effective and humane way to keep the dog from pulling -- far better than those spiked collars you see some people use.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seconding the recommendation for a Gentle Leader harness. It takes a little adjusting to especially if your dog is used to having the leash clip to their collar, but it's an effective and humane way to keep the dog from pulling -- far better than those spiked collars you see some people use.

Thirding this. Gentle Leaders changed my life with my dogs. Went from being completely unable to take both dogs anywhere together without help to being able to safely walk both dogs with one hand.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

We also use a gentle leader with my big dopey golden/lab. It has worked really great. I feel guilty sometimes about not putting more time in to the stop walking when they pull routine with her. With my new puppy I’m trying with a chest harness and constantly treating to get her loose on the leash but it’s really hit and miss.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Hello thread, this is Pepper:

We took her in just over a month ago and it's been a real roller coaster but we're getting really settled in now and she's remarkably well behaved - most of the time at least!

Behaviour wise she's pretty chilled for the most part, but she goes absolutely manic before she poops and sometimes for a little while afterwards. Told the vet about it and she didn't seem to have any concerns and said it's not unusual - any one else have this?

We've recently been able to get her out walking and she pulls like mad, so we're taking it nice and slow and trying to stop everytime she pulls and reward her when she's not pulling.

Anyway, I love her and she's great :D

bonus picture of the quiet life of dignity Pepper lives

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sounds like a dog to me. How old?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
13 weeks yesterday

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
my dog gets really hyper if he has to poop and hasn't gone out in a while. zooooooooommmmiiiieeeeeeeeesssss

afterwards he tests out his newfound aerodynamics.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Looking for some general advice for my little 10lb schnauzer terrier mix

Live in a condo. We don't always take her down in the morning but we leave the balcony door open and she uses a corner as a bathroom. I want to either make a diy wooden box thing with sod and grass, maybe 2ft by 2ft for her to use as a bathroom. My gf suggested buying a litter box and just putting dirt and grass instead of litter in it.......

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone done this or any experience with it?

E: the dog gets run for close to an hour after work so she's gets exercised w me

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

13 weeks yesterday

lol you are fine. just puppo zoomies

Waroduce posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Potty-Grass-Pee-Pad/dp/B01GW5OYBC

just keep em clean, they make smaller sizes as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

my dog gets really hyper if he has to poop and hasn't gone out in a while. zooooooooommmmiiiieeeeeeeeesssss

afterwards he tests out his newfound aerodynamics.

Very similar here. Sometimes if I need Apollo to go, I'll play fetch with him or go running so he can get all of his equipment moving, which helps pushes things along. And then of course with that weight gone, he's free to fly around the yard and the house and send help how do I keep up with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I'd worry sod would have a hard time staying alive. That would depend on how your balcony faces and how good you are at keeping things alive.

Building or buying something with artificial turf might be the way to go.

There's also a subscription service that brings you fresh grass: https://www.freshpatch.com/