Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Am I playing Orisa wrong if I'm basically getting no kills? Like, yeah I have the shield up and usually survive, but she does so little damage I can't do anything but stall unless my team's on point.

Do make sure that your playstyle includes the Junkrat style of constant spamming your weapon 24/7 in the general direction of the enemy :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

And remember that you can halt enemies into an easier to shoot spot. This is great if you and your friendly Soldier or Bastion can coordinate targets. I love Orisa.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
how to get more kills as orisa: you can only reload by firing all your bullets from now on

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

Man, I get all those points about not being an rear end to your team because of their comp, especially when it doesn't matter, but I feel like OW is very much not fun when people are pretending it's TF2 Turbine 247. The game just doesn't work that way, if the team isn't at least trying a little it devolves into you running into the meat grinder of 2cp while you get 3v1d.

I think the point is it's better to try to work around a lovely comp where people are playing classes they're happy with than to get to toxic and lose your focus because you've got just one tank or one healer or whatever. You might win some of those 3 dps games if you treat them with the same respect you'd treat a traditional comp.

The other side of that coin is that you can always be the change you want for the team as well by being the guy who is always willing to flex. Of course if you're going to do that make sure you're actually good at the class you're flexing to. Sometimes the team is better off forcing a 3 dps comp if you have three guys who can't play other roles. I'd rather have a good Tracer and 3 dps than a bad Rein and 2 dps, ya feel me?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What character should I play / what can I do to improve my aim?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's true that the only thing you really have control over is yourself, but it's really really nice to play a game where everyone is willing to compromise and discuss what is and isn't working coolheadedly instead of one where team comp turns into a prisoner's dilemma game of "how long before everyone converges onto DPS"

Some of it is culture, some of it is the game not doing a good job of fostering team work, and some of it is that DPS outnumber tanks and healers (or looking at it another way, "defense" heroes (in practice) don't have a clearly-defined role that is distinct from offense)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

That's up to you friend. Play what appeals to you first and foremost. Like Genji? gently caress it, learn him. It won't be easy but the game is for fun so play the heroes you enjoy.

To improve aim I'd find a sensitivity that makes sense for the hero(s) you're on and stick with it. Regardless of skill level it's usually the case that lower is better.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Its weird because so much of the game incentivizes individuals "outcarrying" w/e that means with offense classes, but the tanks and healers working together to sit a buttload of HP on the objective is the thing that'll ultimately win you the game (or lose, if you fail to do that)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Soldier. He requires aim but doesn’t punish you as severely as widow or McCree.

There’s a metric ton of videos on YouTube explaining how best to learn aiming in this game, someone better at the game than I can filter those done more intelligently than I.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

Its weird because so much of the game incentivizes individuals "outcarrying" w/e that means with offense classes, but the tanks and healers working together to sit a buttload of HP on the objective is the thing that'll ultimately win you the game (or lose, if you fail to do that)

Carrying is usually pretty obvious with supports/dps but it's a bit more subtle with tanks. Sometimes you can carry as a tank by outputting a poo poo load of dps. Other times it's like you said where you're carrying by just being a good soldier boy who does the objective and peels for healers who are getting dove. Or being that Zarya/Rein and getting absolutely :discourse: shatters/gravs all the time.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Willie Tomg posted:

I find alot of arguments about why "Offense is just more fun then tank or support so therefore I am not selfish for only picking genji" works on the idea the rest of your team is balanced. So the rest of team actually wins the match while offense get all the glory of launching ults into all the tanks and supports piling around the objective.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

obi_ant posted:

People have given some really good advice but I will add some old words of wisdom that are still relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

There are certain drills you can run (making a custom game against Ana bots and putting "head shots only" on is a popular one) and there are even aim training games you can buy, but for me the best way to improve my aim was to just play more. Anything that improves your mechanics is a good thing but don't forget that there are other aspects of aiming other than clicking the right pixel. By that I mean things like placing your cursor in the right place to make your shots easier, taking up good positions etc. Playing the game will also help every aspect of your play at the same time as opposed to just the aim part.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also if you’re at the scrub tier level like I the best thing to think is “put the cursor on the enemy and fire”

Obvious isn’t it? Yes, but if you’re in low tier I bet if you watch yourself what you’re actually doing is “see enemy, panic slam left mouse button”.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find it super funny when i get some dude who will certainly notice im running hog into a reaper but entirely fails to notice our cree who dies at the start of every fight

People suck at identifying stuff

dogstile fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 11, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bolivar posted:

Do make sure that your playstyle includes the Junkrat style of constant spamming your weapon 24/7 in the general direction of the enemy :tipshat:

Yes. Basically tape your left mouse button down and put down constant suppression/chip fire on the bad guys.

Also, when working out where to set up, try to set up somewhere where your HALT can really ruin things or deny the enemy team some high ground. Practice the hell out of learning the range and timing and just be flushing people off of ledges all day long. Orisa basically shuts down high ground snipers. Dropping an ulting 76 off of a cliff is huge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just finished the weirdest CTF game where a really high-ranked Hanzo was grouped with both a Mercy and Zen, both of whom pocketed him at all times. He wasn't anywhere near good enough to carry that fight either, so I couldn't understand why.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
So what do you do if you suck with every hero?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you fit right in

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

you fit right in

Fitting in in Bronze is bad. Guess FPS games still aren't for me.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Sotar posted:

If you are having fun, keep on keeping on. Find a character you like and Quick Play with it-- repeat.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh is Arcade not going to refresh during the event as the timer is gone?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Sotar posted:

So what do you do if you suck with every hero?

Playing mystery hero's can give you a chance to try different hero's with out worrying about team comp. Also if you do play competitive be sure to use a mic. There are alot of lovely people on mics, but if people are communicating it makes a big difference. Though I played alot of quick play before I started playing competitive more regularly. Sticking with your teams death ball also helps, as you can more easily survive fights if your team is always nearby.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Shnag posted:

Playing mystery hero's can give you a chance to try different hero's with out worrying about team comp. Also if you do play competitive be sure to use a mic. There are alot of lovely people on mics, but if people are communicating it makes a big difference. Though I played alot of quick play before I started playing competitive more regularly. Sticking with your teams death ball also helps, as you can more easily survive fights if your team is always nearby.

I made it to plat without using a mic, and it's only now that I'm really feeling its absence. I'd say if you're down in bronze/silver, you should be focusing more on getting your personal game skill up to par. It's not like the rest of your team is going to be super coordinated down there, anyway.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shnag posted:

Yeah, it's this I think.

Plus, people are so toxic in general that not vocally communicating with randos saves you a lot of grief

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 12, 2018

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Don't listen to these guys. You will do better and have more fun if you use the mic. The trolls don't really use the mic, if anything they use them the least. The instalock Hanzo is not in comms and if he was he's not talking or listening to you asking him to switch. Except when he does hear you and changes to Sym or Widow. :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've only done the placements for two or three seasons of competitive overwatch but i've solidly landed in platinum every time (despite all the ranking shakeups that have happened each new season) and i have never once had the microphone or text chat turned on. if i can do it, so can anyone

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will only use a mic when playing with my rl friends. I have no interest in listening to strangers be abusive as it sours the game for me afterwords. Just ain't worth it to take the gamble between good communication or obnoxious poo poo heads.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you know you can mute individual people right

i'm nearly level 600 and bought the game day 1, have had voice chat on for the entirety of my playing experience, and i can count on one hand the number of players ive muted due to being obnoxious

i mean do what you want but it's not nearly as common as some of you are making it out to be

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rirse posted:

Ugh is Arcade not going to refresh during the event as the timer is gone?

The timer is for the weekly rewards, so I would assume it being gone is just an error, since they will surely roll over.

I don't think the arcade modes change much during an event, though?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

World Famous W posted:

I will only use a mic when playing with my rl friends. I have no interest in listening to strangers be abusive as it sours the game for me afterwords. Just ain't worth it to take the gamble between good communication or obnoxious poo poo heads.

Yep this

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sotar posted:

Seconding the advice to just goof off in Mystery Heroes until someone clicks with you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Whyyyy do people go down into that stairwell after getting the flag on Ayutthaya? It's the worst possible route to take.

"Hmm, yes, I think I'll take the longer route that lets the opponent easily pincer me."

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i prefer to never think about or play CTF ever again

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

Whyyyy do people go down into that stairwell after getting the flag on Ayutthaya? It's the worst possible route to take.

"Hmm, yes, I think I'll take the longer route that lets the opponent easily pincer me."

It gets you immediately out of defensive line of fire. If you are hog or lucio, you can heal up while they try to get LOS. If they try to pincer you, you can nope out at the center of the map. Seems good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

headcase posted:

It gets you immediately out of defensive line of fire. If you are hog or lucio, you can heal up while they try to get LOS. If they try to pincer you, you can nope out at the center of the map. Seems good.

But if the flag gets dropped, your team has basically 0 chance of getting it back. If you just go straight out the door, every yard you gain increases the chance of your team getting the flag again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

thexerox123 posted:

They like Legends of the Hidden Temple kids and always take the wrong path and get grabbed by the temple guards.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

You would think if you blocked someone, you wouldn't be teamed up with them... but nah... you will.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

You would think if you blocked someone, you wouldn't be teamed up with them... but nah... you will.

There used to be a mechanic you could use to avoid players, but this was removed pretty shortly after release due to some guy being unable to find matches after 10+ minutes because so many people avoided him (iirc due to hero picking and not behavior)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and on the other side of the coin, players were also using the avoid function just to cull players that beat them leading to brokenly small match pools too

it got nixed along with a match rating system that blizzard said the grand total of knowledge they learned from was "players like winning" and "players don't like losing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ctf comp mode has been weirdly good for me so far and the new map is solid. idk what to think about that