Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, note that players don't become incapacitated, they become disabled.

The difference being that if an incapacitated creature takes any damage (say from an AOE) they die. A disabled player, however, basically rolls a d6 on each round to see what happens to them,: and they're only going to die if you roll two 1's and they're actually more likely to just get back up again. I killed a couple players early in our campaign because we hadn't seen this special rule.

Edit: Wait no, now I'm re-reading it...and players do die if they take any damage? Someone help me out here. Now I'm reading the 3rd paragraph of the INCAPACITATED block as modifying only the 2nd paragraph, not the 1st?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am pretty sure PCs will die if they take more damage while down, which is making life really hard for our Rogue. He got Erode cast on him last session, which hit for 20+ so it's doing 2d6 every round, and welp.

We had to end the session mid-fight, which stinks, but we are LOVING this game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rogue Trickery question....

"Once per round, you can make an
attack roll or challenge roll with 1 boon.
If you attack with 1 boon from this
talent, your attack deals 1d6 extra
damage."

Does a Rogue still get this if said Boon is offset by Banes, to the point where they have zero Boons? It looks like Backstab explicitly would not, and neither would Dirty Tricks, but this one's different.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What "with a boon" means came up in our last game and I just said it as plus one because, what, you want it to reduce 3 boons to 1 too? I'm not sure which is right though, we just agreed on something.

Also that particular passage seems clear because it says in the next sentence that the boon may not result in a net positive.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 8, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

What "with a boon" means came up in our last game and I just said it as plus one because, what, you want it to reduce 3 boons to 1 too? I'm not sure which is right though, we just agreed on something.

Also that particular passage seems clear because it says in the next sentence that the boon may not result in a net positive.
Yeah, I would read anything that says "with one boon" to also include "more than one."

In this case - our Rogue was shooting at someone who had cover. So his boon from trickery was counteracted by a bane from cover, and he made the attack ultimately straight up with neither boons nor banes.

If our Rogue attacks with a Boon and Trickery, he's normally dealing +2d6 damage, from Trickery and Backstab. It looks like if that Boon is offset by Banes to the point where he has no remaining Boons, he should still get the +1d6 from Trickery (because the boon is still being used, kinda) but lose the +1d6 from Backstab.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My rogue would have used trigger action to gain a boon on that. When I'm not phone posting I'll say more but basically you can get a boon that was at the risk of having your long action not go off.

I should say I'm not sure that's exactly how a triggered action work RAW but we like the trade off.

Edit yeah I just checked and prepare gives a boon. It was especially helpful at lower level when players didn't have many triggered actions anyway.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Yeah, in the game I'm running I'm using Trickery as "If you use the boon on an attack roll, that attack gains +1d6 damage". Combined with Backstab he's the deadliest bastard in the group, but given the rest of the group is 3 priests and a magician...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

My rogue would have used trigger action to gain a boon on that. When I'm not phone posting I'll say more but basically you can get a boon that was at the risk of having your long action not go off.

I should say I'm not sure that's exactly how a triggered action work RAW but we like the trade off.

Edit yeah I just checked and prepare gives a boon. It was especially helpful at lower level when players didn't have many triggered actions anyway.
Yeah, my players have learned the joys of triggered actions :) It's expensive - as you mentioned, you lose the triggered action and might lose actions entirely - but it's powerful. I am not sure, personally, that I like how it screws up the flow of combat; it incentivizes reaction instead of action, which muddles up combat rounds.

Antilles posted:

Yeah, in the game I'm running I'm using Trickery as "If you use the boon on an attack roll, that attack gains +1d6 damage". Combined with Backstab he's the deadliest bastard in the group, but given the rest of the group is 3 priests and a magician...
Yeah, the Rogue is super deadly. If he uses Trickery with net boons, he also uses Backstab and deals +2d6 damage. If he uses Trickery but attacks without any net boons - is he dealing +1d6 damage or +0 damage?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Before the game the DM was explaining that rogues were broken and magicians were bad but I said hey what if I take technomancy and a club. I drop a bolt thrower and bop the enemy with a club that's as many D6 as a rogue would do on a hit and the DM said oh wow okay sure that could work.

Every single one of my bolts missed. Boons are important and good. It is hard to not feel shafted but I withhold my formal complaints because this is the punishment for playing 5e where a martial feels this every day.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a player who likes bolt thrower. It's very powerful but just remember the turret can be attacked.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, the Rogue is super deadly. If he uses Trickery with net boons, he also uses Backstab and deals +2d6 damage. If he uses Trickery but attacks without any net boons - is he dealing +1d6 damage or +0 damage?

So far I've been giving the extra damage even if they lose all their boons. Rogue damage is very dependent on boons, so I think taking away all their damage in addition to their boons is a bit harsh.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My Rogue avoided the chance of ever not having a boon on hand by going Rogue/Spellbinder/Gunslinger. No backstab, but boons and extra d6s of damage for days.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

RAW/RAI he's dealing +0 damage. It's basically classic D&D-esque rogue design- massive damage if you've got an advantage over your target, but damage that's inferior to a warrior-type if you're forced into a straight up brawl. Trickery abstracts stuff like feinting or setting up a flank so that rogues can do their thing without it being obnoxious/time consuming/difficult to pull off. Though you can certainly house-rule it.

"Robert Schwalb posted:

"In order to gain the extra damage from the Rogue Trickery talent, you must have the boon from the talent. You only count as having the boon for a roll if you actually roll the die. So, if you lose the boon from Rogue Trickery, you do not deal the extra damage."

"Trickery grants a boon to attack rolls and challenge rolls. Thus, outside of rounds, it’s assumed a rogue can use Trickery for any challenge roll. Rogues always have tricks up their sleeves."

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 8, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

RAW/RAI he's dealing +0 damage. It's basically classic D&D-esque rogue design- massive damage if you've got an advantage over your target, but damage that's inferior to a warrior-type if you're forced into a straight up brawl. Trickery abstracts stuff like feinting or setting up a flank so that rogues can do their thing without it being obnoxious/time consuming/difficult to pull off. Though you can certainly house-rule it.
HUH! Okay then.

In other questions, has anyone bought Caecras or Kingdom of God? How are the Expert paths in them? (I miss the wiki :()

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

HUH! Okay then.

In other questions, has anyone bought Caecras or Kingdom of God? How are the Expert paths in them? (I miss the wiki :()

Yep, got both. Caercras has Saboteur and Trooper, Kingdom of God has Agent, Flagellant and Red Cloak. The Saboteur has some rogue-y stuff (Quick Reflexes), some direct damage against contructs/objects, and a fairly meaty sabotage/trap focus. The Trooper is very warrior-y, with a good balance of attack, damage and survival. The Agent is a personal favorite, a touch of rogue-y stuff, a hint of combat utility, and a whole heaping of 'solve/progress plot' abilities. The Flagellant is... weird. It's a combat class where you're wearing no armor (but get divine protection), you flagellate yourself (penalty to Health) to get attack/damage bonuses and certain immunities, and a talent called 'Crazed Charge'. The Red Cloak is a pacifist healer that eventually gets the ability to revive recently-dead people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Antilles posted:

Yep, got both. Caercras has Saboteur and Trooper, Kingdom of God has Agent, Flagellant and Red Cloak. The Saboteur has some rogue-y stuff (Quick Reflexes), some direct damage against contructs/objects, and a fairly meaty sabotage/trap focus. The Trooper is very warrior-y, with a good balance of attack, damage and survival. The Agent is a personal favorite, a touch of rogue-y stuff, a hint of combat utility, and a whole heaping of 'solve/progress plot' abilities. The Flagellant is... weird. It's a combat class where you're wearing no armor (but get divine protection), you flagellate yourself (penalty to Health) to get attack/damage bonuses and certain immunities, and a talent called 'Crazed Charge'. The Red Cloak is a pacifist healer that eventually gets the ability to revive recently-dead people.
Sweet, thanks. I'm trying to decide between getting those, or getting Companion 2.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dwarf74 posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'm trying to decide between getting those, or getting Companion 2.

Companion 2, for my money. The new ancestries alone make it worth it, and the new paths and traditions in it are a lot of fun. Wardscribe is something I really wanna play someday...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm on the verge of running a SotDL campaign via Roll20, and I'm looking for advice on how to use that system best. I see that there's a character sheet, but it's hard to get a sense of how complete it is.

Also, I think my group will like something a little less grimdark than the default SotDL angle. Avoiding Forbidden is obvious, and having people choose their background stuff rather than roll, but are there other things that I might want to excise to lighten things up a bit?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'm on the verge of running a SotDL campaign via Roll20, and I'm looking for advice on how to use that system best. I see that there's a character sheet, but it's hard to get a sense of how complete it is.

Also, I think my group will like something a little less grimdark than the default SotDL angle. Avoiding Forbidden is obvious, and having people choose their background stuff rather than roll, but are there other things that I might want to excise to lighten things up a bit?

Tone down the Insanity stuff, maybe remove Corruption too? Insanity is important insofar as it has an effect on the combat math, but removing it might be helpful for a more heroic tone as well. Some Paths may not be to your liking either, like the Torturer, so consider axing that as well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Forbidden Rules also has a section on increased healing to make a less grimdark game as well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
How do you guys adjudicate Iron Vulnerability? Do you include alloys like steel, or just figure cold iron is enough? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am finding a problem. Monk gives 1d3 unarmed, if the unarmed damage is less. Then up to 1d6 at 2nd level if unarmed damage is below that. Mystic improves unarmed damage to 1d6 if it is below that. Neither seem to do anything if your damage is already equal to or greater than that. This perfect seeming combination ends up with a bunch of wasted features.

EDIT: Also I tried charting out a Sylph Monk, Mystic, Martial Artist. And man that gets some crazy Defense and Speed.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

How do you guys adjudicate Iron Vulnerability? Do you include alloys like steel, or just figure cold iron is enough? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I copied The Witcher and made silver and silver-infused items a core mechanic for fighting monsters and fey.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

I am finding a problem. Monk gives 1d3 unarmed, if the unarmed damage is less. Then up to 1d6 at 2nd level if unarmed damage is below that. Mystic improves unarmed damage to 1d6 if it is below that. Neither seem to do anything if your damage is already equal to or greater than that. This perfect seeming combination ends up with a bunch of wasted features.

EDIT: Also I tried charting out a Sylph Monk, Mystic, Martial Artist. And man that gets some crazy Defense and Speed.

Try asking Rob about it on the G+ page. You usually get a reply right quick.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Unarmed Prowess is +1d6 damage to unarmed strikes, similar to a normal Warrior's Combat Prowess (but only affecting unarmed attacks), it doesn't increase your base unarmed damage- i.e. a level 2 human (or Slyph in your case) monk does 1d3+1d6 (with probably an extra +1 from knuckledusters). The damage from Unarmed Combat Training is basically to tide you over at level 1-2 until you can take an expert path that boosts your damage at level 3 (i.e. Mystic or PoB Fighter) if you're not playing a race that already has a superior unarmed combat option. If you are then it's true you're not maximizing the value of those path features, but you also probably already have adequate damage and are not as tied to needing to take one of those Expert Paths.

e: You definitely deal less damage at lower levels than some of the other build options, but ignoring the bane for the combat manuevers gives you a lot of extra control/extra defense, you've got one of the best crit effects in the game and you ultimately build into a character with gross defense/mobility and quite decent if not necessarily wombo-combo-tier damage (at level 10 it'd be like 8d6 per round single target [via Flying Kick + Instinctive Focused Qi Strike]).

e2:

dwarf74 posted:

do whatever feels right for your game, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly includes alloys like steel-

Terrible Beauty, Page 3 posted:

Iron Loathing

Faeries cannot stand iron’s touch. Even its smell off ends them. The trouble they have with iron has to do with the metal’s magnetic properties, which interfere with faerie magic. Being magical creatures, the same disruption causes them extreme discomfort when they touch the metal, and some find their magical abilities start to unravel. Extended contact with iron or any of its alloys can leave burn marks.

which fits, since otherwise they presumably wouldn't continue to use bronze and bone weapons- iirc the only iron/iron-alloy thing called out as being non-disruptive is the Vorpal Sword, which is meteoric iron (and therefore presumably magical enough)

LGD fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 10, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

do whatever feels right for your game, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly includes alloys like steel-

which fits, since otherwise they presumably wouldn't continue to use bronze and bone weapons- iirc the only iron/iron-alloy thing called out as being non-disruptive is the Vorpal Sword, which is meteoric iron (and therefore presumably magical enough)
Yeah that sounds conclusive! But I think I'll ignore it for my party's changeling... Who has never even used his powers yet. He's also a Fighter so he's already hardly powergaming. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get any elves though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh yeah okay somehow last night I misread Unarmed Prowess from Monk 2.

So new question. Pixie's Wee means half damage on weapon attacks. If one was a Pixie Monk/Mystic/Martial Artist would it be just the 1d3/1d6 unarmed damage, or also all the extra +1d6s, that would be halved? Also man how are Pixies supposed to survive since they start with 5 Strength/Health, and get half Health each type a level gives them Health. Which begs the question, Level 4 Pixie gets +2 Health, so is that halved as well to 1? Or is that supposed to be the equivalent of a 4 halved to 2 already?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Huh yeah okay somehow last night I misread Unarmed Prowess from Monk 2.

So new question. Pixie's Wee means half damage on weapon attacks. If one was a Pixie Monk/Mystic/Martial Artist would it be just the 1d3/1d6 unarmed damage, or also all the extra +1d6s, that would be halved? Also man how are Pixies supposed to survive since they start with 5 Strength/Health, and get half Health each type a level gives them Health. Which begs the question, Level 4 Pixie gets +2 Health, so is that halved as well to 1? Or is that supposed to be the equivalent of a 4 halved to 2 already?

You'd halve the total damage inflicted, including the extra D6's (unless under the effects of Dilate)-

SotDL, Page 39 posted:

When a creature or object takes half damage, divide the total damage by 2 and round down to the nearest whole number. You halve damage only once, regardless of how many times you are instructed to halve it.

Pixies aren't really terribly potent martial combatants prior to getting Dilate at level 4, at least in situations where you're trying to maximize DPS rather than shoot tiny arrows/stones at something that can't see or reach you until it dies. If you want that juicy 13 agility to start I think playing a Kung-Fu Goblin is a lot more straightforward. As far as survival goes I think you're mostly planning not to get hit at all, since you're naturally invisible (to some things) and have limited flight (even in the absence of suitable terrain to take fuller advantage of it, 5 yards should still be higher than almost all size 1 creatures with normal weapons can hit). Some stuff trumps/negates those advantages and you're definitely more prone to getting splattered than the average character if they are, but they're quite potent if used well (to the point of being insurmountable in some scenarios), and once you get Dilate you can play as a normal character whenever it's advantageous.

I'm also pretty sure that a Pixie will get 2 health at level 4 since it's a bonus from an Ancestry rather than a Path (i.e. it's already effectively "pre-halved").

e:

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah that sounds conclusive! But I think I'll ignore it for my party's changeling... Who has never even used his powers yet. He's also a Fighter so he's already hardly powergaming. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get any elves though.

yeah that sounds pretty reasonable

also, if he's feeling weak (to either you or him) take a look at the Paths of Battle revision to the Fighter- it goes from a very "blah"/"I don't know what else to pick" Expert path into something quite a bit more exciting/powerful

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2018

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm having a legitimately hard time deciding which master path to take for my fight mans. Brute is great for the bumped health and damage, Champion has a nice effectively passive boon and defensive bane and the unbelievably sick 75% chance to just no-sell an incapacitating hit, and Dreadnaught halving all weapon damage is great. I'm leaning pretty hard towards Champion. Is there a compelling argument against Champion, or maybe a class in another book that might be better?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm having a legitimately hard time deciding which master path to take for my fight mans. Brute is great for the bumped health and damage, Champion has a nice effectively passive boon and defensive bane and the unbelievably sick 75% chance to just no-sell an incapacitating hit, and Dreadnaught halving all weapon damage is great. I'm leaning pretty hard towards Champion. Is there a compelling argument against Champion, or maybe a class in another book that might be better?

Honestly, Master Paths are specialized enough you should consider your character more than the mechanical effects. There is more than enough variety to specialize in what you feel your character is best at, or what your character likes to do.

As for Champion, keep in mind that sick feature only comes in at level 10, which means you'll get to use it for maybe 1 or 2 adventures at best, depending on your GM, admittedly. When picking Master Paths I typically try to see which one has the better level 7 feature instead, since that's one I'll be living with for a while. Champion's isn't BAD but keep in mind you're sacrificing some considerable mobility to stay in the stance. Amusingly it's a really good option for being a ranged-type character, since you can just shoot from the back anyways.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

and just to complicate things further, don't forget you can take a second expert path instead of a master path (see page 60 in the corebook), so if you were a sword + board fightman you could take something like Knight from Paths of Battle to be more defendery (though that particular example also has similar issues to the champion where a lot of the juice is at level 10)

Master paths are sweet, but I missed this wrinkle for quite a while myself so I like to point it out when I can

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

yeah that sounds pretty reasonable

also, if he's feeling weak (to either you or him) take a look at the Paths of Battle revision to the Fighter- it goes from a very "blah"/"I don't know what else to pick" Expert path into something quite a bit more exciting/powerful
Oh yeah we're already there. It's also been updated in the most recent PDF of the core book. He's been eating the Bane to wear heavier armor for a session or so, and is ready to get rid of it. He picked Changeling for RP rather than power reasons, if it's not obvious.

He also went with Soldier from the Bred for Battle book, which emphasizes heavier armor even more, so...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Oh yeah we're already there. It's also been updated in the most recent PDF of the core book. He's been eating the Bane to wear heavier armor for a session or so, and is ready to get rid of it. He picked Changeling for RP rather than power reasons, if it's not obvious.

He also went with Soldier from the Bred for Battle book, which emphasizes heavier armor even more, so...

hah you're totally right- I knew Schwalb had wanted to back-port it to the core but I remember some people complaining about the Fighter actually being good and I couldn't remember where that had ended up/I hadn't re-downloaded my copy in ages

yeah, changeling really isn't the best mechanical choice for a strength build though

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

hah you're totally right- I knew Schwalb had wanted to back-port it to the core but I remember some people complaining about the Fighter actually being good and I couldn't remember where that had ended up/I hadn't re-downloaded my copy in ages

yeah, changeling really isn't the best mechanical choice for a strength build though
Fighter is now so good, I think I might end up with three.

Trying to talk the dwarf into grudge-bearer but dunno if I'll be successful. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Any less-bad character sheets out there?

The basic one is really bad, and the 'detailed' one is just as bad, but in different ways.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Any less-bad character sheets out there?

The basic one is really bad, and the 'detailed' one is just as bad, but in different ways.

I've seen some fan creations on the G+ page, but most of the ones I can remember were variations on the official 'basic' one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's a v3 up of Bred for Battle. I'm guessing it mainly fixes bookmarks; I haven't found any other changes as of yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The DTRPG update email said something about fixing a layout error but I couldn't find any changes either. :shrug:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

The DTRPG update email said something about fixing a layout error but I couldn't find any changes either. :shrug:
Yeah, it's possible. The text seems identical. I wouldn't have been surprised to see some Spellguard nerfs, but eh.

So how about that Order domain in Demon Lord's Companion 2? My wizard player is wide-eyed and giddy about the possibilities.

Consistency looks like one hell of a 1st level spell.

quote:

Area: A 5-yard-radius sphere centered on a point you can reach
Duration: 1 minute
A thin, gray light permeates the area for the duration. The area
moves with you, remaining centered on a point you can reach.
When you cast this spell, choose a number between 1 and 6.
Until the spell ends, you can replace the number on any d6
rolled by a creature in the area with the number you chose.

It's basically "maximize your allies' boons and damage dice (and your enemies' banes) for the combat." We've got a Fighter who can swing a greataxe around for 6d6 damage right now (with a boon if the priest gives it to him) and ... wow.

e: Or Immobility at 2nd level

quote:

IMMOBILITY ORDER ATTACK 2
Target: One creature you can see within short range
Make a Will attack roll against the target’s Will. If the target’s
Health is 15 or lower, you make the attack roll with 1 boon.
If the target’s Health is 25 or higher, you make the attack
roll with 1 bane. On a success, the target is immobilized for
1 minute. While immobilized in this way, the target is also
defenseless
, but it takes half damage from all sources.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Consistency looks like one hell of a 1st level spell.

It's basically "maximize your allies' boons and damage dice (and your enemies' banes) for the combat." We've got a Fighter who can swing a greataxe around for 6d6 damage right now (with a boon if the priest gives it to him) and ... wow.

Yeah, that sounds... pretty silly. It should apply automatically to every die regardless of who rolls it (so that if you pick 6, you make enemy boons roll 6 as well).