Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I’ve been using katanas exclusively but I want to try something else out. What else is cool but not too tricky since this is my first MH.

Haven't played World but yeah in the old games Hammer is very simple yet satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

from what ive seen theyve made minor changes to the weps so, hammer and sword n board are the simplest and give you a lot of mobility while you're still learning how monsters behave. greatswords are the hardest weapon since you need to know exactly when you have an opening to get any damage off

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

the gun lance is sort of hard to get a hang of since it has like a bunch of different modes and ammo and poo poo you have to keep track of. goonbless

all my results screenshots with gunlance are either me blowing the monster to kingdom come or me getting completely plastered with no in between

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I just crafted the hard bone rod

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
This game kicks rear end with Imp Squad

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Close to killing one of every monster, I think. Only Black Diablos is left.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the moment i killed black diablos in its nest, a critically damaged regular diablos ran up next to me and went to sleep, serving me up a beautiful double. i love it

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

its amazing unloading on these fuckers with the white hot switch axe greatsword and carving through their huge spikes and horns like butter. and yet, as sweet as it is, im equally excited to battle them again with all of the other weapons

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Tzi Tzi Ya Ku is so cool. He keeps running up of nowhere, flashing everyone and running away just like me irl LOL!!!!!! For real though I think he’s saved me more times than my palico has.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
just beat nergigante

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The lance isnt as flashy as any other weapon Ive tried but theres a certain satisfaction when you never have to stop attacking until the monster runs away

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Tzi Tzi Ya Ku is so cool. He keeps running up of nowhere, flashing everyone and running away just like me irl LOL!!!!!! For real though I think he’s saved me more times than my palico has.

his turf war with odogaron is fuckin great if you haven't seen it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I thought hed be bad like the flash kat ku clone in the old games but hes actually cool

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Control Volume posted:

The lance isnt as flashy as any other weapon Ive tried but theres a certain satisfaction when you never have to stop attacking until the monster runs away

yeah, playing evasively and constantly staying on top of the monster with the lance is extremely satisfying. i almost never actually use its shield. underrated weapon imo

im just about to stroll into the real nergigante fight, this is going to be epic

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Fiend Matador posted:

im just about to stroll into the real nergigante fight, this is going to be epic

update: i got owned

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i just bot the game

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

i just bot the game

Welcome to the New World...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

why is everyone so bad at fighting teostra

four times i've joined quests and four times other people get killed

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

of course right after i post that i join a pro fuckin group who flash-chains and destroys him

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

i just bot the game

my only advice is, the male armor is cooler looking

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

why is everyone so bad at fighting teostra

four times i've joined quests and four times other people get killed

I've never seen anyone die to Teostra

Vaal Hazak on the other hand

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

im gonna finish shadow of the colossus and spend the rest of the day continuing to hunt monsters. Coffee and weed time, gamers

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Foxhound posted:

I've never seen anyone die to Teostra

Vaal Hazak on the other hand

Teostra was the easiest of those three. Oh a big fire dragon, let me just get my fire armor and water sword aaand he’s already dead lol. Then Vaal trashed me so hard I had to reorganize my equipment/inventory from scratch each time I got sent back to camp

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m going to start it today at some point I swear.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

loving this even though i wasnt a huge fan of the demo. im trying to take everything in but theres a lot. excited to learn more and get better and watch my numbers go higher

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
This game is so good and you feel powerful when you put on armor made out of a monster and then hunt down more of them while playing dress up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*sobbing w/little clear booger under nostril like a 3 yr old* And then the monsters DIE! :cry:

Apparently that's my cousin with this game. At my grandpas funeral I was talking to his gf about MHW and I guess while she happily murders monsters he feels bad and can't play it.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
you kill the monsters but then you load the quest back up and theyre alive again

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i made it to the credits, and the game is loving good as hell

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Beat the game and I still have so much stuff to do

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

finally figured out how tempered investigations work

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

before i bought this game i read some moron in games or on reddit say that they got sick of the grind like 20 hours in, im 15 and im feeling like im barely scratching the surface and all i can think about is this game.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
capture every monster

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a Loving Dog posted:

before i bought this game i read some moron in games or on reddit say that they got sick of the grind like 20 hours in, im 15 and im feeling like im barely scratching the surface and all i can think about is this game.

i've put in 115 hours so far and will easily triple that.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hammer is a bitch to actually land a hit on the quick monsters, I think I might try the bow out tonight. I also need to figure out how to capture.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Over There posted:

Hammer is a bitch to actually land a hit on the quick monsters, I think I might try the bow out tonight. I also need to figure out how to capture.

I was having the same issue, but the R2 charge helps a lot with fast monsters since it hits almost immediately. Capturing is easier than you think too: 1. damage monster until they're limping, 2. follow them back to their nest or wherever they're going to rest/eat, 3. put the trap down right next to them and throw a few tranq bombs in their face.

Oh Long Johnson posted:

capture every monster

:hai:

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Capturing is a lot easier than waking up and pissing off an injured monster.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

btw, with the hammer if you release the level 3 charge with the stick neutral, you do an actual useful attack instead of the worthless spinning bludgeon

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

I was having the same issue, but the R2 charge helps a lot with fast monsters since it hits almost immediately. Capturing is easier than you think too: 1. damage monster until they're limping, 2. follow them back to their nest or wherever they're going to rest/eat, 3. put the trap down right next to them and throw a few tranq bombs in their face.

:hai:

You can even pre-tranq while they are napping and once you throw down the trap they will be captured instantly.

Remember that there are some material that you can only get from carving and won't show up as rewards from capturing. But since you generally get a special arena anyway there is no reason not to cap the first of every monster you fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Foxhound posted:

You can even pre-tranq while they are napping and once you throw down the trap they will be captured instantly.

I love this game