Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

Im doing a RAC2 and 4ML build for maximum annoyance. Makes it harder to actually trade effectively though, since the RAC2 discourages looking away from your target.

Yeah, that's an issue with the 5, as well. It's so satisfying to unleash a stream of rounds into an enemy, though. It would be nice to have some lasers for when I inevitably jam my gun because I sat there cackling with the trigger held down too long.

I'm averaging ~300 damage per battle, with a 1 KDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Devorum posted:

What are people putting on K-9? I put a RAC/5 and lots of ammo on it...and it performs okay, and is fun, but I'm sure there's something better.

XL180, 5xMPL. It's pretty hot but really, really good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Devorum posted:

What are people putting on K-9? I put a RAC/5 and lots of ammo on it...and it performs okay, and is fun, but I'm sure there's something better.

I've got 5 ERML and an AC/2, you can do more optimized junk but it's just my for-fun build.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I purchased an urban mech UM-R60L last night to do the challenge and because lights are awesome..
Anyways I fit it like this and was doing 400-600 damage matches.. thing is FUN.

UM-R60L

Edit:
I have only mad dog and arctic wolf next.. But i can't buy a wolf so whatever and I think the mad dog isn't worth the c-bills...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Edit:
I have only mad dog and arctic wolf next.. But i can't buy a wolf so whatever and I think the mad dog isn't worth the c-bills...

Just buy the dual gauss rifle one (Also the cheapest one) and coast to an easy completion, selling it off completely afterwards and redeeming the reward puts you ahead of where you started and you get your fancy dangly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Mad Dog is easily only of my most consistently high-performance mechs. You don't see a lot of them but I honestly don't know why; six SRM6 with artemis going at 81kph is pretty savage, especially with the Mad Dog's above average mobility and relatively strong quirks. It's the kind of mech where I'm disappointed when I don't come close to breaking 1000 damage in a match.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

Mad Dog is easily only of my most consistently high-performance mechs. You don't see a lot of them but I honestly don't know why; six SRM6 with artemis going at 81kph is pretty savage, especially with the Mad Dog's above average mobility and relatively strong quirks. It's the kind of mech where I'm disappointed when I don't come close to breaking 1000 damage in a match.

The splatdog is a classic and still one of my favourite mechs to just take out for a spin and blast some people to pieces.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
I'm gonna buy an Urbanmech and Kitfox for the rewards, is there any recommended non-hero builds, and is that 3xams+ecm gimmick Kitfox any good?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
3 heavy mediums and 4 heavy machine guns with ECM is my go-to Kit Fox build.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

I don't know if I'm happy or upset to find out WoL is still alive.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Devorum posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=548&l=c5a12c527a73f14942eee2a7e27012099f5113f5

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Devorum posted:

You can fit some lasers in to support the RAC. This is what I run: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=548&l=3577c618596d065f4b4ff774723c59829c58db0f

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
There is zero reason to buy alternate builds of mechs now right? It used to be you needed three for elite and mastery but now it's just buy the best one and that's it.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

TipsyMcStagger posted:

There is zero reason to buy alternate builds of mechs now right? It used to be you needed three for elite and mastery but now it's just buy the best one and that's it.

True. You can fully master the single variant you like without the need to buy the others only to sell afterward.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pretty much only if you really like the mech and the other model has some significantly different hardpoints.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I feel like I have a bunch of useless mechs now because I have 3 of a bunch of variants like stalkers, centurions, hunchbacks, spiders, etc

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Banano posted:

2 mediums because I’d rather have them than one pulse and they come in handy for things like UAVs and getting your assists in on faraway mechs at the end of the game.

Active probe because 5 tons of ammo plus the magazine capacity is plenty, you’re going to be getting close to the enemy so it’s worth revealing things for teammates plus you get a little cbill/xp bonus.

Skills I think are a mix of everything - I’d need to check but I’d imagine all the missile stuff, ammo capacity, and heat capacity/coolrun. Fairly sure the rest is in mobility. I always take a cool shot and usually a UAV because again, you are going to be getting CLOSE.

Thumbs up. The thing I'm currently weighing for the stock -s is whether a UAC5 or crapping a UAC10 in at the expense of an SRM6 in is worth it.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=165&l=4138687749087b9b39c614f68baca0371c9f32ec
napkinmath showerthoughts, iunno, something like this.

I know the go to SRM timber used to be 4 srm6a+4spl; is the new version with Heavy smalls, flamers, or still the good ol spl?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheParadigm posted:

Thumbs up. The thing I'm currently weighing for the stock -s is whether a UAC5 or crapping a UAC10 in at the expense of an SRM6 in is worth it.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=165&l=4138687749087b9b39c614f68baca0371c9f32ec
napkinmath showerthoughts, iunno, something like this.

I know the go to SRM timber used to be 4 srm6a+4spl; is the new version with Heavy smalls, flamers, or still the good ol spl?

LBX20.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

what in gods name

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

set of 8 compliance. Those are the limitations you got to work with. Weight's there, slots are rear end.

Edit: at least, it feels properly zippy with mobilitree. The question's just making the weapons fit. What's the most damage for the least heat, while still getting you snapshots?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 11, 2018

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/7wnsuo/so_the_proposed_balance_changes_do_not_bring_back/

People really want the PPC Gauss combo back.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

A Bad posted:

Not enough skilled players in the game for skilled weapon systems and play styles. The brown sea has let us know that time and time again.

It makes my brain hurt sometimes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The people need their poptarts.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

I think they handled it pretty well in fairness. Everyone behind this thing wants PPC+Gauss back but they removed it from the suggestions sent to PGI due to the overwhelmingly negative response to it. Still pretty lame of them to be this salty about people not liking it though, especially when blaming "non skilled" people.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I genuinely think ppc/gauss is one of the least skilled combos that ever existed in this game, so they can all go blow themselves trying to blame it on "low skill" players.
Everyone I know who I consider a good player hated gauss/ppc with a passion. Everyone I met who liked it and used it with any sort of frequency I considered lovely players, always for completely unrelated reasons.

tl;dr - Point and click =\= skill

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What? Look, I'm not gonna die on the hill of defending Gauss/PPC. I understand why it's not fun to play against, but it was unquestionably the highest skill ceiling build. It required a lot of stuff that other builds don't need to account for. Aligning the gauss charge, dealing with two different projectile speed, and doing it while airborne to get the most of out the weapon set.

Playing it optimally, or even well for that matter, was notably harder than Vomit, Dakka, or Brawling.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 11, 2018

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Ghost heating ppc+gauss is one of the few good things PGI has done. I think if they found a way to improve time-to-live in 12v12 games it would be a little better. Still punish mistakes and being out of position, but maybe make a mech take an extra volley before taking a dirt nap.

Oh, and adding some cover to alpine or polar highlands (or removing them from quick play queue).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

What? Look, I'm not gonna die on the hill of defending Gauss/PPC. I understand why it's not fun to play against, but it was unquestionably the highest skill ceiling build. It required a lot of stuff that other builds don't need to account for. Aligning the gauss charge, dealing with two different projectile speed, and doing it while airborne to get the most of out the weapon set.

Playing it optimally, or even well for that matter, was notably harder than Vomit, Dakka, or Brawling.

I'm utter poo poo at this game, and even I could wreck homes with the PPC/G combo. Never got poptarting down because I don't have the patience, but the combo worked well at any range past 90m. Even within that range if you could fit ERPPCs.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Skippy McPants posted:

Aligning the gauss charge, dealing with two different projectile speed, and doing it while airborne to get the most of out the weapon set.
When PPC/Gauss was at its height, there wasn't any Gauss charge or jump jet screen shake. It was fairly simple to hit your jets and click on an enemy.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Corn Burst posted:

Ghost heating ppc+gauss is one of the few good things PGI has done. I think if they found a way to improve time-to-live in 12v12 games it would be a little better. Still punish mistakes and being out of position, but maybe make a mech take an extra volley before taking a dirt nap.

Oh, and adding some cover to alpine or polar highlands (or removing them from quick play queue).

This is how you brawl on polar highlands

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TjyvTompa posted:

This is how you brawl on polar highlands

:perfect:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Whoever posted that high alpha adder build a while ago, thanks. I've been having a blast with this thing.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I just hit Tier 3.

What have I done? :ohdear:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I just hit Tier 3.

What have I done? :ohdear:

Tier changes nothing.

For instance, this guy: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=ohfar

Ends up in ~Tier 1~ matches with th3B33f and more often than not shoots him in the back.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Tier changes nothing.

For instance, this guy: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/search?u=ohfar

Ends up in ~Tier 1~ matches with th3B33f and more often than not shoots him in the back.

That has to be intentional, right? Right? How do you actually get worse, and by that much over time? What other explanation is there? I just... how?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

TjyvTompa posted:

The splatdog is a classic and still one of my favourite mechs to just take out for a spin and blast some people to pieces.

Why the gently caress are those things so thin. The CT is juat bullshit.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

That has to be intentional, right? Right? How do you actually get worse, and by that much over time? What other explanation is there? I just... how?

Fragile ego, refusing to accept your own shortcomings. It's very easy to identify these people, they always blame everyone else for losing, never accepting that they make mistakes and they never try to improve their play style.

Not only is it extremely irritating to hear them complain and blame teammates game after game when it is obvious to everyone else that they should only blame themselves. They also do not listen to advice and like to blame hackers and cheaters for whatever obvious mistake they made that got them killed first.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you want to blame cheating or hacking or anything else but yourself, just take a second to think about it, did you really stay in cover? did the enemy team really miss spotting you? did all those straight CT shots land due to cheating or did you stare at the enemies like a deer in headlights?

Acknowledge your mistakes, think about how to avoid doing them again and you will be able to GIT GUD and brawl with the real boys on polar highlands instead of crying about being stuck in your "really good mech it's just that the map sucks you see".

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Why the gently caress are those things so thin. The CT is juat bullshit.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

aniviron posted:

I already posted this, but maybe you haven't seen it. Ohfar is the subject of the video. He probably spent a lot more time harassing people than playing properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChKkrvC-lw

TjyvTompa posted:

Fragile ego, refusing to accept your own shortcomings. It's very easy to identify these people, they always blame everyone else for losing, never accepting that they make mistakes and they never try to improve their play style.

Yeah, these people can be pretty easy to spot sometimes. Ohfar is a nut who thinks he can intimidate people on the internet though. On bad nights I can certainly end up in the camp of "It's not me, it's the other players," but then I do the old school goon thing of "I'm getting mad at video games, so I'm going to go do something else now," but Ohfar is just wrong in the head. I run into the kind of people you describe pretty often at night, since I work weird hours and don't get to join with goons very much any more.

Edit: Mad Dog chat: I don't use Artemis on my Mad Dog. I just walk up face-to-face to the first relatively isolated mech I see, say hello with 4 medium pulse lasers, and then use SRM 6s to make them not exist anymore. Then I move on to the next one.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

He didn't get worse, perhaps, as much as the rest of the community got better.

Yeah, the MWO community on average probably got better than him.