Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angepain posted:

somehow this additional context has just made me understand the image less

Yeah, weird soundcloud does that. Triple Q makes remixes and such. He's a frequent contributor to the High Quality Rips of GiIvaSunner, if you're at all familiar with that channel.

I don't *think* he's a Republican supporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lurdiak posted:

No, really. Nixon wasn't even as bad as Reagan for the country, let alone Trump. You can draw a direct line from what Nixon did to the Republican party and where we are now, but I'd rather be at the top of that slide than the bottom.

When Trump commits actual treason resulting in 22,000 American and untold tens of thousands of Vietnamese deaths, you can try to make the argument.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I love the "Nixon wasn't actually that bad." arguments from I can only assume are folks whose parents weren't alive when he was president and/or don't pay much attention to history.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Bob Howie was amazing. drat college kids and their demands for social change and anti-war activism!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lmao

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I love the "Nixon wasn't actually that bad." arguments from I can only assume are folks whose parents weren't alive when he was president and/or don't pay much attention to history.

It wasn't that Nixon himself wasn't bad, it was that Republicans in general weren't as bad as they are today, they, at the very least, still believed in a functioning government. It's like comparing a man building a boat with wings to a man just loving wailing on the boat with the biggest hammer he can find.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Sandpuppy posted:

Let women's right hook's activist Mike Lester finally put the pussy hat intention arguments to rest.

Of course they're all overweight. I mean, he's American so it makes sense but that's not why he did it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Duke Igthorn posted:

It wasn't that Nixon himself wasn't bad, it was that Republicans in general weren't as bad as they are today, they, at the very least, still believed in a functioning government.

Nixon didn't believe in a functioning government, he believed that death should come swiftly to his enemies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nixon had the same disregard for the rule of law that characterizes Trump and Trumpism, but the Republican party as a whole did not.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

We need more jerkcity edits in this thread imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I knew he reminded me of someone

whomupclicklike posted:

Last time we had any at all was DBD edits IIRC

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

whomupclicklike posted:

yissssssss

That one is particular good but jerkcity edits forever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Remember "America when we don't speak about race / America when we do"?

Here's a French version from 1898.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, the loving dog :xd:

Seems to be in relations to this which also created that badass J'Accuse...! newspaper article.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A couple years old, but I stumbled across this and found it evocative:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lurdiak posted:

No, really. Nixon wasn't even as bad as Reagan for the country, let alone Trump. You can draw a direct line from what Nixon did to the Republican party and where we are now, but I'd rather be at the top of that slide than the bottom.

The issue is less the president and more the party as a whole. The Nixon era was overall more liberal than today, but that's as much down to Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and right-wing "news" as it is to the personality of the president. Imagining a paranoid genius like Nixon with today's GOP led Congress and a twenty-four hour propaganda machine at his disposal is the stuff of nightmares.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Stevoblunt posted:

I'm missing the transphobia, can you explain?

A Pink News article here on the subject. Some unsavoury people deciding, as ever, that feminist conversation should focus on genitals. I can assure you that it's not just trans women who think that's immensely dreary.

There is also the unrelated objection that wearing a hat to signal your support of a very nebulous cause isn't the last word in radicalism, and there are probably photographs of MPs and people like that wearing them.

Also, whoever heard of a pink cat? :catbert:

Edit: beaten hugely, which serves me right for not reading all the replies. But never mind.

Jollity Farm fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 11, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jedit posted:

I think you are making poo poo up, because I don't remember Trump ever apologising for it.

His "apology" is here.

Trump posted:

I said it, it was wrong, and I apologize.

Roughly a year after that, the New York Times wrote an article about Trump's defense of Roy Moore and mentioned that Trump had told at least two different people the tape was a fake and he didn't actually say it.

quote:

But something deeper has been consuming Mr. Trump. He sees the calls for Mr. Moore to step aside as a version of the response to the now-famous “Access Hollywood” tape, in which he boasted about grabbing women’s genitalia, and the flood of groping accusations against him that followed soon after. He suggested to a senator earlier this year that it was not authentic, and repeated that claim to an adviser more recently.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jollity Farm posted:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I thought he was supposed to be a diamond?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

A couple years old, but I stumbled across this and found it evocative:

Accurate as of last week.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Crabtree posted:

I thought he was supposed to be a diamond?

You’re thinking of Snagglepuss.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jollity Farm posted:

Also Bagpuss.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jurgan posted:

The issue is less the president and more the party as a whole. The Nixon era was overall more liberal than today, but that's as much down to Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and right-wing "news" as it is to the personality of the president. Imagining a paranoid genius like Nixon with today's GOP led Congress and a twenty-four hour propaganda machine at his disposal is the stuff of nightmares.

Pretend I have a gif from Futurama where Nixon's head and his campaign manager are considering the idea of "Nixon...with charisma?" And how unstoppable that'd be.

For semi-actual content: Didn't someone do an effort post in the last thread about how Bill Clinton winning the presidency is basically what broke the Republican party, or at least cracked them?
Like, Bill coming out and beating Bush Sr. hosed them up so badly that as a whole, they've spent every day since committed to the idea that they will never let it happen again.
And then Obama really threw them off the deep end by being President while Black.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jurgan posted:

You're absolutely right on that point. Although Trump's incompetence is its own terrifying factor to consider. Nixon probably would not be daring a nuclear power to attack the US over twitter, for example.

Honestly can't we just have Corbyn or something instead of trying to decide which republican is the lesser evil.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You're absolutely right on that point. Although Trump's incompetence is its own terrifying factor to consider. Nixon probably would not be daring a nuclear power to attack the US over twitter, for example.

Honestly can't we just have Corbyn or something instead of trying to decide which republican is the lesser evil.

It's going to take some time before the US would elect someone like Corbyn.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

the_steve posted:

For semi-actual content: Didn't someone do an effort post in the last thread about how Bill Clinton winning the presidency is basically what broke the Republican party, or at least cracked them?
Like, Bill coming out and beating Bush Sr. hosed them up so badly that as a whole, they've spent every day since committed to the idea that they will never let it happen again.
And then Obama really threw them off the deep end by being President while Black.

The republican party has been strongly reactionary since the New Deal and beginnings of the civil rights movement.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Those Nixon defense cartoons, if you tweaked them a little, are pretty much verbatim the kind of schlock the right wing cartoonists have been cranking out for Trump when it comes to Russia and the other scandals so at least they stay the course?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

Pretend I have a gif from Futurama where Nixon's head and his campaign manager are considering the idea of "Nixon...with charisma?" And how unstoppable that'd be.

Personally, I think the rot started with Reagan, but yes, Clinton winning was a massive shock to the Republicans. After destroying Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, they were convinced that the Democrats were too out of touch to contend meaningfully for the presidency, and they could ride the Reagan wave forever. And then Clinton stepped in and beat them, and worse, he did it by focusing on the economy, which Democrats weren't supposed to be able to do. Hence the conspiracy theorizing and the desperate need to somehow prove Clinton's presidency was illegitimate.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Poor timing from the Rat Man given Ryan's "$1.50" tweet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Selachian posted:

Personally, I think the rot started with Reagan, but yes, Clinton winning was a massive shock to the Republicans. After destroying Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, they were convinced that the Democrats were too out of touch to contend meaningfully for the presidency, and they could ride the Reagan wave forever. And then Clinton stepped in and beat them, and worse, he did it by focusing on the economy, which Democrats weren't supposed to be able to do. Hence the conspiracy theorizing and the desperate need to somehow prove Clinton's presidency was illegitimate.

I think one of the biggest mindfucks for me was seeing Newt during one of the recent Republican Nomination campaigns saying with a straight face that Barack Obama must be a bad President because back when Clinton was President he had a great working relationship with the Republicans and Newt in particular.

The same Newt that caused two Government shutdowns while Clinton was President.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

I've seen a lot of work from that guy, pretty sure its satirizing the notion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a313r3MEZAw

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

54.4 crowns posted:

I've seen a lot of work from that guy, pretty sure its satirizing the notion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a313r3MEZAw

Im the guy at the very end of the video.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Hihohe posted:

Im the guy at the very end of the video.

P...Putin?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the_steve posted:

To an extent its coincidence. Without the Clinton Administration, there may not have as been much right-wing RAGE, but I think we still would have seen the rise of Fox News and the proliferation of right wing talk radio.

Jiffletta
Dec 23, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the former was basically the sole intent of repealing the fairness doctrine, and the latter was because of Nixon cronies trying to destroy journalism as a concept in retaliation.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Yep. With the USSR defeated, those looking outward for the enemy could go back to looking inward for one.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i wish i got laid as much as zelda.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

To an extent its coincidence. Without the Clinton Administration, there may not have as been much right-wing RAGE, but I think we still would have seen the rise of Fox News and the proliferation of right wing talk radio.

Absolutely, but for another reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996

quote:

In the 1970s and 1980s, a combination of technological change, court decisions, and changes in U.S. policy permitted competitive entry into some telecommunications and broadcast markets. In this context, the 1996 Telecommunications Act was designed to allow fewer, but larger corporations, to operate more media enterprises within a sector (such as Clear Channel's dominance in radio), and to expand across media sectors (through relaxation of cross-ownership rules), thus enabling massive and historic consolidation of media in the United States. These changes amounted to a near-total rollback of New Deal market regulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Yep. With the USSR defeated, those looking outward for the enemy could go back to looking inward for one.

They spent the entire cold war fighting internal enemies what the hell are you talking about?? Literally anybody with a progressive agenda, economic or social, was smeared as a degenerate commie.