Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can jetbikes or speeders scale buildings?

Vehicles with fly can scale buildings, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can jetbikes or speeders scale buildings?

I assume so because they have the fly keyword.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Man this makes Sammael more and more interesting. I might try to butcher together a an Aggressor and Interceptor and weld on some assault cannons.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man this makes Sammael more and more interesting. I might try to butcher together a an Aggressor and Interceptor and weld on some assault cannons.

Can Sam buff inceptors? If not seems pointless?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Milotic posted:

Yeah my friend was playing Imperial fist tactics as his chapter is a successor of that. I was like “Are you sure you don’t want to go Ultramarine tactics for this game?” but he wants to run as fist tactics. The ignores cover is quite good. But it’s not quite in the same ballpark as can fall back and shoot as normal.

I ran as Alpha Legion and thanked my stars I hadn’t chosen night Lords - the Open War cards we chose made everyone immune to morale.
I choose Black legion long ago, but I like the idea of +1 leadership. The advance and fire mechanic is not really that great. Sure it works with power armour spam but mine is not great anyway.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How well do Valkyries or tanks travel? In a few months I’ll be flying and want to bring an army/list I’m going to paint up and take with me. I’d like to own pieces that are competitive and stand the least chance of falling apart enroute (I’ll be primary scions with imperial guard vehicles for backup).

Also: generally speaking, is it better to fly with armies or ship them over to places if they box is marked as fragile? For the sake of argument let’s assume I’ve figured out how to pack them correctly!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Dark Angels would fit pretty well for the sorts of lists you've been posting so this seems like a good path to go down.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I've been ruminating over how best to acquire some Biovores without having to cut off and clean up metal mold lines, or to deal with FC at all--and a brilliant idea struck me.

gently caress running the monster, gently caress metal, and gently caress FC.

I'm going to build some GSC firing Spore Mines out of a Guard Heavy Weapons Team mortar platform; they'll be standing next to an Infestation Node that's mid-pumping-out a new Spore as another is fired or is about to fire out of the mortar barrel. :hellyeah:

And then it occurred to me that BuffaloChicken might have already designed something exactly like that for his Guard-GSC-counts-as-Tyranid army.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Can Sam buff inceptors? If not seems pointless?

He provides a few benefits:

- He's a Captain so DA units within 6" get to reroll 1's.
- He comes with the "Master of Maneuvre" trait which allows DA units within 6" to reroll their advance or charge rolls.
- Since he's Ravenwing he can spend 1CP to be allowed to advance, shoot and still charge.

If I wanted to spend 183 points instead of 216 I could take the version where he's riding a jetbike. He's 2" slower and loses a wound, and his weapon is a heavy plasma cannon (that I would never fire supercharged) and a twin storm bolter instead of twin heavy bolters and twin assault cannons, but he advances 2d6".

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How well do Valkyries or tanks travel? In a few months I’ll be flying and want to bring an army/list I’m going to paint up and take with me. I’d like to own pieces that are competitive and stand the least chance of falling apart enroute (I’ll be primary scions with imperial guard vehicles for backup).

Also: generally speaking, is it better to fly with armies or ship them over to places if they box is marked as fragile? For the sake of argument let’s assume I’ve figured out how to pack them correctly!

If you build up the main hull and turrets etc. solidly they'll usually be fine. Stick em foam boxes / trays a little larger than the tank and they'll most likely be fine. The main problems are fragile bits like antennae and the like which will need indents etc. for them.

Valkyries are similarly solid but you'll want to keep them separate from the base for transport otherwise they're a colossal pain and take up loads of space.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I can recommend the custom cut KR Valkyrie trays. They make great use of the space to maximise what you can carry with the Valk.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I had some spare cadian bodies and tons of spare Skitarii bits, so i decided to bash them together

So far i'm really liking the look, next step is figuring out a colour scheme.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I did the exact same thing and yeah they look great. A really easy way to get a great-looking non-standard Guard army.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is a really good idea. I was thinking of doing a normal jump pack chaplain modelled as a primaris with a bunch of reivers, but this is much more insane :D
Would people be OK with modelling a land speeder type vehicle as slightly larger inceptor?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Corrode posted:

I did the exact same thing and yeah they look great. A really easy way to get a great-looking non-standard Guard army.

i'm only doing a single squad, But these are fun to make and anyone playing ad-mech will have tons of bits left over.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HardCoil posted:

This is a really good idea. I was thinking of doing a normal jump pack chaplain modelled as a primaris with a bunch of reivers, but this is much more insane :D
Would people be OK with modelling a land speeder type vehicle as slightly larger inceptor?

I did a quick fit check with some Tarantula ACs and the result look absurd, even for me. I think using the Jetbike rules would make more sense. Then you only need a plasma cannon.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Frobbe posted:

i'm only doing a single squad, But these are fun to make and anyone playing ad-mech will have tons of bits left over.

Aw yeah. This is good stuff.

I'm gonna run a tournament in August. First time since like 2015, and the first 40k one since about 2012. Let's hope it doesn't suck.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a quick fit check with some Tarantula ACs and the result look absurd, even for me. I think using the Jetbike rules would make more sense. Then you only need a plasma cannon.

The dark angel terminator plasma cannon could probably be made to fit fairly easily

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

The dark angel terminator plasma cannon could probably be made to fit fairly easily

Huh, wow. That might fit perfectly on its own. Especially if I use an Aggressor fist on the other side.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I swear every time I think about using a bit like that eBay has it for super cheap. Thanks Internet!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, maybe something centurion sized with a jump pack would be the way to go. I have a couple of those that won't get any use now :(
Or maybe wait for the SW codex, something more optimal might turn up.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 10, 2018

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I've been ruminating over how best to acquire some Biovores without having to cut off and clean up metal mold lines, or to deal with FC at all--and a brilliant idea struck me.

gently caress running the monster, gently caress metal, and gently caress FC.

I'm going to build some GSC firing Spore Mines out of a Guard Heavy Weapons Team mortar platform; they'll be standing next to an Infestation Node that's mid-pumping-out a new Spore as another is fired or is about to fire out of the mortar barrel. :hellyeah:

And then it occurred to me that BuffaloChicken might have already designed something exactly like that for his Guard-GSC-counts-as-Tyranid army.

This sounds cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HardCoil posted:

Yeah, maybe something centurion sized with a jump pack would be the way to go. I have a couple of those that won't get any use now :(
Or maybe wait for the SW codex, something more optimal might turn up.

Any idea when SW are supposed to get their book?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any idea when SW are supposed to get their book?

Rumor as far as I know is just before Orks at the end of the cycle.

My current hope is that we get a Wolves + Thousand Suns box this year, but I'd be 100% okay with Wolves and Orks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Frobbe posted:

I had some spare cadian bodies and tons of spare Skitarii bits, so i decided to bash them together

So far i'm really liking the look, next step is figuring out a colour scheme.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm hoping the reason that some of these codexes have been held back is that they're gonna be tied to model releases.

Russ would be a good candidate for the next Primarch, Orks could use some model kit updates, Genestealer Cults, Harlequins, and Deathwatch could all use some new units to fill out their rosters and the Ynarri could be made into a real faction instead of being the official Eldar soup faction.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm desperately hoping that Russ comes back as a Land Raider size Wulfen or something equally monstrous.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Strobe posted:

I'm desperately hoping that Russ comes back as a Land Raider size Wulfen or something equally monstrous.

https://youtu.be/-SlIZrJXaJE
What this dude said, basically.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really impressed/happy that between DI, Easy Build, the base PM box, the PM Champion blister and the stupid fancy 3 man box I've been able to put together 21 unique (3x7) Plague Marines. That's just so loving cool. Had to do a little bit of slicing to get Plasma Guns for each of the leaders.

They're just so cool. I had no interest in Death Guard until I took a closer look at the stuff that was in DI, GW's sculpting game is incredible at the moment.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm hoping the reason that some of these codexes have been held back is that they're gonna be tied to model releases.

I want new Ork buggies real bad. I want a codex more though as I can make a buggy out of a can of redbull and a Tonka truck.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Harkano posted:

I'm really impressed/happy that between DI, Easy Build, the base PM box, the PM Champion blister and the stupid fancy 3 man box I've been able to put together 21 unique (3x7) Plague Marines. That's just so loving cool. Had to do a little bit of slicing to get Plasma Guns for each of the leaders.

They're just so cool. I had no interest in Death Guard until I took a closer look at the stuff that was in DI, GW's sculpting game is incredible at the moment.

They really are, this is my favorite from the DI set so far. I will probably get the squad box when I finish these, the models are so good I'm inadvertentlyimur building a death guard army.

Among the marines you've built so far do you have a favorite model?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Strobe posted:

Leman Russ should come back as a sentient Leman Russ tank.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Booyah- posted:

They really are, this is my favorite from the DI set so far. I will probably get the squad box when I finish these, the models are so good I'm inadvertentlyimur building a death guard army.

I wouldn't have been able to answer, but then along came Sassy Nurgling.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Pop goes the Monkey on Shapeways makes a jump pack for Primaris bodies. I am thinking about buying some to have a jump captain look like a Primaris.

Kinda want him to be jump buddies with 6 Plasma Inceptors.

I cannot find where a primaris captain or lieutenant can take a jump pack, am I missing something?

I want one of those Pop Monkey jump packs just need to figure out which one best fits, and get an answer to the above question.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I cannot find where a primaris captain or lieutenant can take a jump pack, am I missing something?

I want one of those Pop Monkey jump packs just need to figure out which one best fits, and get an answer to the above question.

Pretty sure they can't but some people are putting one on a Primaris, and playing it as a normal Jump Pack Captain, the wounds and attacks aren't too different, and a chump scale Captain following Inceptors looks garbage,

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

I see that and all I can think about is how much fun I bet it would be to use the same technique I'm using now for my purple Bigmars for a sickly green Plague Marine.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Harkano posted:

Pretty sure they can't but some people are putting one on a Primaris, and playing it as a normal Jump Pack Captain, the wounds and attacks aren't too different, and a chump scale Captain following Inceptors looks garbage,

Excellent, now i need to pick a cool jump pack..

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone that's been running Ynnari have any input on using troupes for a troop choice? Trying to help my partner with list planning and I honestly think they look really neat if you shove them into a raider or something and drop them in the enemies face but have no idea how they'll actually fare. Otherwise I have like 80 kabalite warriors that would probably suffice.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

Anyone that's been running Ynnari have any input on using troupes for a troop choice? Trying to help my partner with list planning and I honestly think they look really neat if you shove them into a raider or something and drop them in the enemies face but have no idea how they'll actually fare. Otherwise I have like 80 kabalite warriors that would probably suffice.

I don't think you can actually mix Aelfdari units like that. I'm pretty sure that only Dark Elves can get in Raiders (it says in the unit's rules which units can enter a transport, hence why Bigmarines can't enter Rhinos.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, while 8thed has it a lot easier for a number of armies to dip into each other, vehicles are still rigidly faction-locked unless otherwise stated (like the Inquisitor's Authority of the Inquisition, which lets them embark in any transport, so long as it's allied [I think]). It makes it easier for them to balance rules that affect vehicles, since the Tallarn Chimera cant be full of 12 Reivers ready to ambush.