Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know what, yes, all these internet meanies are just way too hard on the guy wrote Avengers Disassembled, Civil War II, and that one kid that Mystique and Xavier had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know what, yes, all these internet meanies are just way too hard on the guy wrote Avengers Disassembled, Civil War II, and that one kid that Mystique and Xavier had

He also wrote the best Daredevil run ever. Yes I'm loving going there. Bendis' Daredevil is better than Frank Miller's

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BrianWilly posted:

You're the only person thus far in the thread who has mentioned any of these three comics out of his two-decade career, everyone else is just tripping over themselves to post dumbass memes that have almost as much bearing on an interview no one has bothered to listen to/read the highlights of about his upcoming comics work but by all means, whenever anyone brings up Doomsday Clock the only thing anyone needs to say is EVIL JEANS LOL because a joke about a decade old comic is the primary data point with which to discuss the career of Geoff Johns, absolutely.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Dude I'm on your side when people are acting like the guy's never written a good comic and are pointlessly making GBS threads on him, but I don't see why just a few mild in-good-fun jokes are hitting your shitpost threshold.

BrianWilly posted:

I get what you're doing, but Disassembled is actually p. good

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 10, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want anything real to get worried about from that interview, he complimented the Mr. Oz storyline.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you want anything real to get worried about from that interview, he complimented the Mr. Oz storyline.
See? This right there is a troublingly real sign of danger, not the idea that he's just going to turn in his scripts for the unpublished 2nd and 3rd years of Moon Knight and angrily insist that they publish them with Batman being called Moon Knight and also with every character in it beeing Aitty Pryde through Zitty Pryde or whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hi guys, I'm going to read Final Crisis tonight.

Edit - It starts off with random D-listers that originated in a cartoon: Mas Y Menos being killed by Doctor Light. Oh boy

Roth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

He also wrote the best Daredevil run ever. Yes I'm loving going there. Bendis' Daredevil is better than Frank Miller's

It’s better than Miller’s but not Brubaker’s.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

Edit - It starts off with random D-listers that originated in a cartoon: Mas Y Menos being killed by Doctor Light. Oh boy

It's deliberate lampshading of the comics at the time. Keep reading.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

According to the podcast Bendis has deliberately never read a DC comic in his life and will outright refuse to do so going forward.

His entire first issue is just people saying Superman? Superman. Superman? Super? Man? Man! Super! Superman? over and over and over again and they say it so many loving times all of the goddamn word balloons drown out the art and by the fifteenth page the text is so dense the entire page is black and the cover of the next issue is printed in Vantablack and in that issue Superman is replaced by a black girl detective or something and she marries Kitty Pryde and converts to Yiddish-only Judaism and then Cuke Lage shows up and he gets replaced by a black person or something, I don't know this was hour four of the podcast and I was zoning out.

Wrapping up, he said that this cycle continues with every third issue just being people saying Superman a thousand times until DC literally goes out of business.

I want all of this to happen and am now sad it won't. :smith:

Also I wouldn't be opposed to the word balloons slowly crush everyone in the panels until the last page just has a slow drip of blood. :unsmigghh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Open Marriage Night posted:

Honestly, it feels like having your cake and eating it too.

"I'm going to commentate on this, by doing exactly that!"

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I’d put it above Miller’d Pre Born Again run but nothing surpasses Born Again.

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s better than Miller’s but not Brubaker’s.

Ew no, Brubakers run got pretty mediocre after the Devil inside Out (which to be clear was fantastic). The Mr Fear arc was loving awful and after that the run was just fairly average.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

infinite crisis > final crisis

neither is great but infinite crisis carries its promise through and doesn't have superman singing a perfect note

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I’d put it above Miller’d Pre Born Again run but nothing surpasses Born Again.

Ew no, Brubakers run got pretty mediocre after the Devil inside Out (which to be clear was fantastic). The Mr Fear arc was loving awful and after that the run was just fairly average.

I agree. I love Brubaker, I love Daredevil, and "The Devil Inside and Out" is in my top five Daredevil stories ever. But after that, it was nothing but more and more misery and suffering for Matt and anyone unlucky enough to know him. What happened to Milla still disturbs me to this day, but that's Brubaker for you.

I'd definitely rank Bendis' run as a whole over Miller's pre-"Born Again" run, but it is really hard to top "Born Again."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

Specifically, the sudden compulsion to make Light a Serious Bad Person.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The best part about Dr. Light in Final Crisis is that you can read his dialogue and totally imagine that he sounds like the Monarch from Venture Bros.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Darth Nat posted:

The best part about Dr. Light in Final Crisis is that you can read his dialogue and totally imagine that he sounds like the Monarch from Venture Bros.

Speaking of, the best way to read All-Star Batman and Robin is imagining Batman as Brock Samson and the bolded words the ones where his voice cracks. Not sure, but this may work for any Frank Miller main character.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I agree. I love Brubaker, I love Daredevil, and "The Devil Inside and Out" is in my top five Daredevil stories ever. But after that, it was nothing but more and more misery and suffering for Matt and anyone unlucky enough to know him. What happened to Milla still disturbs me to this day, but that's Brubaker for you.

I'd definitely rank Bendis' run as a whole over Miller's pre-"Born Again" run, but it is really hard to top "Born Again."

I think the good thing about Devil Inside Out is it's reasonably wrapped up all the loose ends and you could skip the remaining Brubaker run and go straight to Waid's run or just read Bendis's End of Days which is a perfectly fine ending to the character and feel like you've got a satisfying conclusion to the character and move on.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thranguy posted:

Speaking of, the best way to read All-Star Batman and Robin is imagining Batman as Brock Samson and the bolded words the ones where his voice cracks. Not sure, but this may work for any Frank Miller main character.

... that works surprisingly well. except i can't imagine brock samson needing a 12 year old boys' approval for how cool his toys are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Neurosis posted:

infinite crisis > final crisis

neither is great but infinite crisis carries its promise through and doesn't have superman singing a perfect note

But it does have superboy punching through dimensions

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

bobkatt013 posted:

But it does have superboy punching through dimensions

Superboy prime :flashfact:

Which was comic book dumb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This Zoom stuff continues to sound fantastic.
https://twitter.com/bottomshelfbks/status/962317080266604547

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Specifically, the sudden compulsion to make Light a Serious Bad Person.

Did any writers ever cotton onto and lean into the fact that trying to do that made Light even more pathetic than he was before?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I will go to the grave saying that Geoff Johns wrote a really good and effective Dr. Light during that Teen Titans arc in the wake of Identity Crisis.

Ooooooh, I wants.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This sounds like it might fill the hole Sam!Nova left in my heart. :unsmith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I will go to the grave saying that Geoff Johns wrote a really good and effective Dr. Light during that Teen Titans arc in the wake of Identity Crisis.

Oh, yeah, I like that one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It may or may not have anything to do with the fact that the word "rape" was used approximately zero times in that arc v:v:v. There was a slight allusion, and that was it. His whole schtick was much more about "You people mindwiped me, and I'm loving pissed."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

It may or may not have anything to do with the fact that the word "rape" was used approximately zero times in that arc v:v:v. There was a slight allusion, and that was it. His whole schtick was much more about "You people mindwiped me, and I'm loving pissed."

It's certainly better than that Judd Winick storyline in Green Arrow where Ollie says something like, "You're a real piece of poo poo, Light," and his immediate reaction is, "Why? Because I rape? :smug:"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's certainly better than that Judd Winick storyline in Green Arrow where Ollie says something like, "You're a real piece of poo poo, Light," and his immediate reaction is, "Why? Because I rape? :smug:"

This is the very first thing I think of whenever someone mentions Dr. Light.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mature stories for mature readers

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/erinkatmcvey/status/962516044844797957https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/962743267254091777

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Everyone should be reading Snagglepuss. Both issues so far have gone from strength to strength. It's seriously really good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/bdanderson13/status/963154348036407297

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
God drat I just love Frank's work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The new Clanbook: Malkavian is looking weirder and weirder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is this Harley or is there yet another clown girl running around

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She's one of veidts henchmen from the watchman universe

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Honestly her and the mime are only slightly more interesting than the dull rear end detective noir show or whatever was going on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/963462185170145280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Why?

Come on DC. Please no.